IGNORED

Drop Diedhou

Berkshire Red

Now this is likely a terrible suggestion, but having watched Fam struggle upfront for the last couple of games now being continuously bullied by the oppositions defence, could Marley Watkins be trialled in that role?

He has experience playing up front, is quite a physical player and his touch cannot be any worse than Diedhou's. If not then I'd at least like to see him on the bench to add a physical option when we are next losing a game and resort to just hitting mindless balls into the box.

I also think Diedhou's continuous offsides last night (3 early on) was a large contributing factor into the frustration and later hostile atmosphere at parts yesterday and the guy could do with a rest from the team. Would we have faired better against them last night if we had played with Taylor and Weimann as a front two like we did at the start of the season? I think we would certainly have caused them more problems.

6 minutes ago, City18 said:

That would be an ideal situation, but I don't think he plays particularly well alongside Weimann or Taylor so maybe the sum of the team without him might be better than having him in the team

In what formation- do we decide to sacrifice possession and go for a more counter attacking 4-4-2?

How do our tactics and shape change to necessitate this- does it sacrifice defensive or midfield security and control- though there was little of this last night!

I would like to see us go back to basics - play a 4-4-2 with Taylor and Semenyo up front just for one half and if not working revert to whatever LJ thinks. Just try something different. It seems when the going gets tough he only trusts the same few faces and they are the ones who look dead on their feet and struggling.

I can’t work out if it’s honourable or stupidity but I know a fair few of our squad surely hand on heart do not see a future here !?!

21 minutes ago, City18 said:

That would be an ideal situation, but I don't think he plays particularly well alongside Weimann or Taylor so maybe the sum of the team without him might be better than having him in the team

Hang on a minute, are you suggesting playing Taylor over Fammy? 

Taylor’s scoring record is not much better than Franky Fieldings!

I suggested playing Watkins up front earlier in the season for the same reason, strength, good in the air and touch can't be worse. Pace wise i haven't seen but again can't be any slower. Can imagine he's quite intelligent and will make decent runs. 

3 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

In what formation- do we decide to sacrifice possession and go for a more counter attacking 4-4-2?

How do our tactics and shape change to necessitate this- does it sacrifice defensive or midfield security and control- though there was little of this last night!

We just don't seem to be making anything of our possession any more. We used to play fast flowing football, switching the ball quickly and hammering their wings and the midfield was picking out killer passes. We are now lethargically passing the ball around the back before lumping the ball at Diedhou. We are being tightly marked up top, not doing enough creative movement and the killer passes are no longer their. We still seem to pump mindless crosses into the box as our main form of attack, yet how many are Diedhou winning? Paterson is currently our main support to Diedhou but he doesn't ever win a header. On a number of occasions when diedhou missed the ball it ends up going over Eliassons head. We need more physical presence in the box.

If we are not making all this possession work for us anymore than yeah maybe we sacrifice the possession and go more direct. Currently, oppositions are putting both centre backs to bully diedhou and then the full backs can push further forward and limit us for space.  

5 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

Is Watkins fit to play?

Probably not. He's been a sick note all season.

He played and scored for the reserves against forest a week or so ago I believe

8 minutes ago, City18 said:

We just don't seem to be making anything of our possession any more. We used to play fast flowing football, switching the ball quickly and hammering their wings and the midfield was picking out killer passes. We are now lethargically passing the ball around the back before lumping the ball at Diedhou. We are being tightly marked up top, not doing enough creative movement and the killer passes are no longer their. We still seem to pump mindless crosses into the box as our main form of attack, yet how many are Diedhou winning? Paterson is currently our main support to Diedhou but he doesn't ever win a header. On a number of occasions when diedhou missed the ball it ends up going over Eliassons head. We need more physical presence in the box.

If we are not making all this possession work for us anymore than yeah maybe we sacrifice the possession and go more direct. Currently, oppositions are putting both centre backs to bully diedhou and then the full backs can push further forward and limit us for space.  

He played and scored for the reserves against forest a week or so ago I believe

What possession? Certainly no dominance of it since Birmingham at home or Wolves 2nd half. Vs Leeds 46%, vs Ipswich at home 50% or thereabouts, Norwich away it was 41% and at Preston it was a little above 50%. Agree though we definitely seem to be doing less with the ball, but maybe more direct- but I dunno about direct but counterattacking definitely would be something I'd consider as a necessary tradeoff for playing a legitimate 4-4-2. 4-4-2, intense pressing in certain zones and fast turnovers maybe...in any case the balance feels wrong to me.

10 minutes ago, swanker said:

Hang on a minute, are you suggesting playing Taylor over Fammy? 

Taylor’s scoring record is not much better than Franky Fieldings!

Purely off stats this season,

Fammy 2489 minutes played - 11 Goals - 3 Assists (226 mins per goal) (830 mins per assist) (178 mins per goal/assist)

Taylor 1101 minutes played - 3 Goals - 5 Assists (367 mins per goal) (220 mins per assist) (137 mins per goal/assist)

While he may get fewer goals, he contributes considerably more to the team

15 minutes ago, paul_fox said:

I suggested playing Watkins up front earlier in the season for the same reason, strength, good in the air and touch can't be worse. Pace wise i haven't seen but again can't be any slower. Can imagine he's quite intelligent and will make decent runs. 

I just find Diedhou so frustrating to watch. Touch is atrocious, very selfish player and forever offside. Also for a player in the team playing a target man role, he very rarely wins a header or if he does it doesn't go to a team mate

Got to be worth a try

Fam isn't the issue to me. Our main issue is that Pack and Brownhill are running on empty having played the vast majority of games. Morell / Walsh (injuries aside) could cover but they are just that at the moment - cover, in that P + B are a cut above when on form. 

As I've said elsewhere the extended break will benefit them more than anybody else. I can only imagine how our season would have gone had we had Smith to rotate with them all season...not withstanding we are still doing v well anyway.

3 minutes ago, steveybadger said:

Fam isn't the issue to me. Our main issue is that Pack and Brownhill are running on empty having played the vast majority of games. Morell / Walsh (injuries aside) could cover but they are just that at the moment - cover, in that P + B are a cut above when on form. 

As I've said elsewhere the extended break will benefit them more than anybody else. I can only imagine how our season would have gone had we had Smith to rotate with them all season...not withstanding we are still doing v well anyway.

Smith I believe played a full 90 for the reserves the other day, unless this is a youth with surname Smith?

Will be great to get him back in, a genuine first team challenger

12 minutes ago, City18 said:

I just find Diedhou so frustrating to watch. Touch is atrocious, very selfish player and forever offside. Also for a player in the team playing a target man role, he very rarely wins a header or if he does it doesn't go to a team mate

Got to be worth a try

He's had far more poor games then good ones. He can't seem to stay on his feet when he's got the ball or it just bounces off him. Not much movement either. From that YouTube video Watkins doesn't look bad and has a bit of pace. A few of those goals he scored Famara would've lost control of the ball before getting into the box!

11 minutes ago, City18 said:

Smith I believe played a full 90 for the reserves the other day, unless this is a youth with surname Smith?

Will be great to get him back in, a genuine first team challenger

Harvey Smith? CB recalled from his loan at Hereford on 1st March perhaps?

https://www.herefordfc.co.uk/news-harvey-smith-returns-to-bristol-city/

5 minutes ago, cider-manc said:

In fairness - 1 the replay showed he was onside. 1 was touch and go and the other we didn’t get a replay of... so he could have possibly been onside in all 3!

Ah sadly didn't get the joys of the replay at the game - just trusted the lines man. Just didn't seem to be in particularly promising or attacking positions so no need to be pressing the line this tightly

We seriously lack any strike force. Think our season and hope of making the top 6 is buggered because of it.

Again last night Famara was awful.

Nearly everything breaks down when the ball goes to him.

Even if he wins the ball in his 50/50 battle with his opponent, the ball the majority of the time is lost in the next transition.

He simply doesn't suit our system of play imo.

He's not good with ball to feet, and not the best at winning crosses.

So LJ could play through the lines or from out wide with crosses...the result will still be the same...average to poor for the standard we are looking for which is top 6.

He's good at defending set pieces and unsettling defenders during our set pieces...but that's pretty much it imo.

Everyone loves a trier...but he isn't what we need for a Promotion push.

Please prove me wrong Famara.

2 hours ago, City18 said:

Now this is likely a terrible suggestion, but having watched Fam struggle upfront for the last couple of games now being continuously bullied by the oppositions defence, could Marley Watkins be trialled in that role?

He has experience playing up front, is quite a physical player and his touch cannot be any worse than Diedhou's. If not then I'd at least like to see him on the bench to add a physical option when we are next losing a game and resort to just hitting mindless balls into the box.

I also think Diedhou's continuous offsides last night (3 early on) was a large contributing factor into the frustration and later hostile atmosphere at parts yesterday and the guy could do with a rest from the team. Would we have faired better against them last night if we had played with Taylor and Weimann as a front two like we did at the start of the season? I think we would certainly have caused them more problems.

Anybody bar him ffs Mo Eisa the one an only  6th minute sub appearance at Bolton would be a better shout

The entire point of having a larger squad is to rotate out-of-form players out, and to bring players on the outside into the first-team squad.

I think Deidhou is doing fine, but we've got other options that should be considered, and if Deidhou is out of form he should be dropped.

Archived