IGNORED

Drop Diedhou

Berkshire Red

On 13/03/2019 at 12:21, spudski said:

We seriously lack any strike force. Think our season and hope of making the top 6 is buggered because of it.

Again last night Famara was awful.

Nearly everything breaks down when the ball goes to him.

Even if he wins the ball in his 50/50 battle with his opponent, the ball the majority of the time is lost in the next transition.

He simply doesn't suit our system of play imo.

He's not good with ball to feet, and not the best at winning crosses.

So LJ could play through the lines or from out wide with crosses...the result will still be the same...average to poor for the standard we are looking for which is top 6.

He's good at defending set pieces and unsettling defenders during our set pieces...but that's pretty much it imo.

Everyone loves a trier...but he isn't what we need for a Promotion push.

Please prove me wrong Famara.

I will always support him while he pulls our shirt on but totally agree and been saying the same for quite a while. His first touch is so poor and he’s reactionary , especially in the box . He rarely seems to gamble/ anticipate and always seems to be on his heels. For a team challenging for the play offs he’s not good enough. 

6 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

I will always support him while he pulls our shirt on but totally agree and been saying the same for quite a while. His first touch is so poor and he’s reactionary , especially in the box . He rarely seems to gamble/ anticipate and always seems to be on his heels. For a team challenging for the play offs he’s not good enough. 

My sentiments exactly...and I don't care for the comments that he plays better when he has a partner. That doesn't wash with me. He's made to look better by that partner.

The basics by him are poor. Yes...he puts a shift in, and is likeable...but his touch, awareness, pro activeness, reading of the game, movement, heading, balance, body positioning etc is all off for this level of football.

I'd love to see his stats of how many times we lose possession directly after he's touched the ball.

I suppose at 26 FD doesn't have to be the finished article yet and a couple more seasons could see him improve a lot. 

I'm intrigued to know if he bangs in the goals in training. If so, there's something to tease out of him. If not, we need someone else. 

23 minutes ago, spudski said:

My sentiments exactly...and I don't care for the comments that he plays better when he has a partner. That doesn't wash with me. He's made to look better by that partner.

The basics by him are poor. Yes...he puts a shift in, and is likeable...but his touch, awareness, pro activeness, reading of the game, movement, heading, balance, body positioning etc is all off for this level of football.

I'd love to see his stats of how many times we lose possession directly after he's touched the ball.

In his defence I don’t think we play to his strengths, but in spells this season he’s frustrated me massively.  I don’t go away from home...it appears (from watching streams) he is more of a handful away.

10 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

In his defence I don’t think we play to his strengths, but in spells this season he’s frustrated me massively.  I don’t go away from home...it appears (from watching streams) he is more of a handful away.

I try to give him the benefit of the doubt every game Dave...I watch him more than any other player, because I want him to prove me wrong.

However...I'm trying to tick box's in my head as to what he does well for this level.

There are very few.

Tbh...imo, he'd make a good CB if you were looking to play him in another position.

He's actually better at defending...his heading and positioning and reactions are far stronger when he's back defending set pieces.

He's not a natural footballer.

A natural footballer has balance and positioning and can read a game...they can do the basics well.

If you can't control a football...how the hell are you expected to do it when under pressure?

He has moments...which is why I think LJ sticks with him. But it's so few.

If Famara was being scouted whilst playing for us, would we have paid what we did for him?

23 minutes ago, Suffolkcity said:

I think everyone else see's a different Wiemann to me. I think he looks absolutely shocking. Slow to react, scuffs his shots and looks no threat at all unless he has an easy chance. I personally feel Wiemann has been a very poor signing. 

Sounds like the perfect description of Fammy to me. 

32 minutes ago, spudski said:

Correct me if I’m wrong . If I’m a attacking midfielder , no10  looking to play off him directly  or indirectly , or any striker then you make runs off them knowing he’s going to hold the ball up consistently and have confidence in those runs knowing you’re going to get the ball. How many of pato, Taylor , Palmer, brownhill , O’dowda make those third man runs and burst into the box after another one of those mentioned have been able to feed off fam . 

I might be completely wrong but plenty say how isolated he is . Is this due to a lack of confidence from his team mates knowing if they gamble and we lose the ball the opposition outnumber our midfield  and break on us , or is it LJ’s lack of confidence in him . 

I love Diedhiou. Ain't the best striker we've ever had. But crucial away from home. Give him a solid partner and we'd be a good team. 

Weimann and Taylor are not solid partners.

Semenyo may be soon. Just look at how effective those two were vs Preston second half.

10 minutes ago, Shtanley said:

I love Diedhiou. Ain't the best striker we've ever had. But crucial away from home. Give him a solid partner and we'd be a good team. 

Semenyo may be soon. Just look at how effective those two were vs Preston second half.

Bobby papered over fams  faults last season and made up for his lack football intelligence . I respect your opinion but he’s not very good. Look back at the open goal v Leeds . He has to take a touch then gets closed down . A instinctive player finishes that in one touch, whether he’s a striker or not. Only pointing out Taylor as he’s part of our squad but he would of just stroked that home , calmly . 

you notice with fam , his second touch is always on the stretch which means his first touch is poor. 

Similar to people thinking flint was a good defender when he was diving in to block shots . The reason he dived in was because he was out of position in the first place . 

12 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

Correct me if I’m wrong . If I’m a attacking midfielder , no10  looking to play off him directly  or indirectly , or any striker then you make runs off them knowing he’s going to hold the ball up consistently and have confidence in those runs knowing you’re going to get the ball. How many of pato, Taylor , Palmer, brownhill , O’dowda make those third man runs and burst into the box after another one of those mentioned have been able to feed off fam . 

I might be completely wrong but plenty say how isolated he is . Is this due to a lack of confidence from his team mates knowing if they gamble and we lose the ball the opposition outnumber our midfield  and break on us , or is it LJ’s lack of confidence in him . 

He backs into his defender...he concentrates more on his defender than he does the ball or what our midfielders are doing.

In trying to win his 50/50 with his opponent, he makes it physical, instead of using guile and making space and coming off his defender.

This in turn, makes it ever more physical over the period of 90 mins. He gets too embroiled in his defender. It almost becomes more important to win his 'battle', than what's going on in the game.

If he does happen to win the ball before the defender, either by foot, head or chest, the ball is more often than not lost in the next transition.

If the midfield are high up towards the final third, he's like a rabbit in headlights...sits on the 18 yard line, either still or across the box. There is no space to pass too, as the defender and keeper have him in their pocket.

Hence why so often our midfield check, then go back or sideways, as they don't want to lose possession.

I could go on...but it's futile.

3 minutes ago, spudski said:

He backs into his defender...he concentrates more on his defender than he does the ball or what our midfielders are doing.

In trying to win his 50/50 with his opponent, he makes it physical, instead of using guile and making space and coming off his defender.

This in turn, makes it ever more physical over the period of 90 mins. He gets too embroiled in his defender. It almost becomes more important to win his 'battle', than what's going on in the game.

If he does happen to win the ball before the defender, either by foot, head or chest, the ball is more often than not lost in the next transition.

If the midfield are high up towards the final third, he's like a rabbit in headlights...sits on the 18 yard line, either still or across the box. There is no space to pass too, as the defender and keeper have him in their pocket.

Hence why so often our midfield check, then go back or sideways, as they don't want to lose possession.

And often gets bullied by centre half’s .

give us the Jon stead we had 5/6 years ago and we’d finish in the play offs . 

32 minutes ago, Shtanley said:

And how ineffective it was v Leeds !!

Give me wieman and Taylor over a young raw talent of semenyo at this stage of the season. 

1 hour ago, Suffolkcity said:

I think everyone else see's a different Wiemann to me. I think he looks absolutely shocking. Slow to react, scuffs his shots and looks no threat at all unless he has an easy chance. I personally feel Wiemann has been a very poor signing. 

He was on fire at the start of the season, scoring for fun, until he was shunted out wide to accommodate Fammy’s return....he is undoubtedly a fine player.....check out some of these in the vid below....especially the ones away at Liverpool and Arsenal and also the last two in the vid are pretty special....he would have carried on in the same vein in my opinion - but we had to shoehorn the £5m+ man back in.....

We all know how the season started - goal fest Without Fammy- since then how many goals per home game have we scored?

Cotts got his marching orders because he refused to adapt the playing style. LJ has had 31 games since the ban ended, what has he changed attack wise in those 31 games? We are only where we are because our defence has been brilliant and the teams about us have been just as average as us. 

Comical selections and substitutions - don’t start me about the timing and faffing about on the touchline!  LJs intransigence has cost us dear, we could have done so much better.

Fammy is not good enough, I refuse to believe he shows any better in training, there is absolutely no reason he should start every game, we have plenty of wing men and Weimann is 100% more mobile and hungry, Paterson is an absolute coward and should never make the starting 11! But then our coach has already declared he starts in our next game!

Semenyo could be a saviour but not starting out of position against a team like Ipswich.  If our coach can’t do the basics where are we going? This season 10th if we are lucky.

Training - would love know a lot more about what goes on there, we have coaches for this and coaches for that, but whatever they are doing it’s not improving the team, could that be because the coaches are not a team themselves?

Our number 9 should stop playing the man and start playing football, if he can’t do that then he should be spending a few games warming the bench

33 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

He was on fire at the start of the season, scoring for fun, until he was shunted out wide to accommodate Fammy’s return....he is undoubtedly a fine player.....check out some of these in the vid below....especially the ones away at Liverpool and Arsenal and also the last two in the vid are pretty special....he would have carried on in the same vein in my opinion - but we had to shoehorn the £5m+ man back in.....

Should tie Johnson to a seat and force him to watch this vid

On ‎14‎/‎03‎/‎2019 at 09:16, spudski said:

I really think he thought Famara would be better than he is...and he's stuck with him hoping he'll improve.

I don't understand the tactic of firing in crosses from Elliason etc...to who?

We don't have a team that is strong in the air up front.

We are better on the floor playing through the lines with short passing and movement penetrating the box.

That game seems to have gone out the window.

I'm guessing because when it breaks down we are more susceptible to the counter attack.

Match days seem to be a Mish mash of ideas that get confusing in the final third, where players are often pretty much static on the shoulder of the defenders.

We have lost our way most definitely.

What did Mr Johnson think the player was? Any competent scout could highlight very quickly his attributes and weaknesses -. He gets a few goals, hits the target regularly.

In regards to your second line it can be understandable. The ball is played through the first two thirds. Theoretically the team moves up in units and balls into the box do not have to be successful often, and most won't be but a small % can lead to chances. Seconds balls City can pick up due to not over committing and having numerical advantage outside of the box in a unit. City playing in that manner also retain a degree of compactness. That is a bit rudimental and holes can be picked in it, but it is logical.   

The above is more logical than expecting Famara to go East West North South linking play up with skills he does not have.  

On ‎15‎/‎03‎/‎2019 at 20:24, spudski said:

On ‎15‎/‎03‎/‎2019 at 19:26, spudski said:

On ‎14‎/‎03‎/‎2019 at 09:16, spudski said:

I really think he thought Famara would be better than he is...and he's stuck with him hoping he'll improve.

I don't understand the tactic of firing in crosses from Elliason etc...to who?

We don't have a team that is strong in the air up front.

We are better on the floor playing through the lines with short passing and movement penetrating the box.

That game seems to have gone out the window.

I'm guessing because when it breaks down we are more susceptible to the counter attack.

Match days seem to be a Mish mash of ideas that get confusing in the final third, where players are often pretty much static on the shoulder of the defenders.

We have lost our way most definitely.

Your not holding back on Famara. so would you ditch Famara and ideas of wingers? are city good enough to play this short passing and movement penetrating game all over the pitch? 

2 minutes ago, Trueredsupporter said:

Your not holding back on Famara. so would you ditch Famara and ideas of wingers? are city good enough to play this short passing and movement penetrating game all over the pitch? 

I'd look to be changing it next season...but it's too late for this imo. Better off sticking to what we've done so far, rather than trying to change this far into the season.

13 minutes ago, spudski said:

I think there maybe a lot of changes next season.

So do I.

Like most of us I’d love to see Kalas and Dasilva sign for City and Dasilva is the most likely but Kalas is coveted by other clubs.

LJ and MA will have a shopping list for the summer including more options up top. It’ll be an interesting summer window for sure.

Fam is a decent Championship striker , flashes of very good , runs of average to poor. A lot of that comes from the lack of service and support. To change things now would be one of three things, brave, foolhardy or desperate. 
I have wondered recently if Semenyo could play that lone role. Very easy I know, and would probably be a step too far but. He is stronger than his age suggests , his touch is probably better than Fams already , he holds the ball well., but he is also very raw. The other options , Taylor ? I don't see it, very much a 2nd striker. Weiman? makes the runs, intelligent , but relies to MF seeing those runs which has been missing. Palmer? I could see him doing a job, holds the ball well, strong and can beat a man, not sure he has the physicality to play the role but an option.
I'd be amazed if LJ changes things drastically this year, I do think we may have to start playing 2 up front simply to get results , but I still see Fam in that system.

As for next year, I do think that a lot may depend on our finish. Just miss out , make the playoffs and fail and we will see a small turn over in players. If we carry on our current slide to mid table disappointment , I can see quite a big turn over. I would guess Kalas, ODowda, Kelly, Palmer, Baker, Pisano, FF, the Kiwi, maybe DaSilva all going. Brownhill is highly thought of and teams will be looking at Webster and Eliasson. There is a chance of a massive turnover if our season peters out. This run in is going to be of massive importance, whether we go up or not, a good run in could see us have the squad to make a real run at it next year, a dismal end to the season could see LJ having to build a squad from almost scratch again.

35 minutes ago, Robbored said:

So do I.

Like most of us I’d love to see Kalas and Dasilva sign for City and Dasilva is the most likely but Kalas is coveted by other clubs.

LJ and MA will have a shopping list for the summer including more options up top. It’ll be an interesting summer window for sure.

They may have a shopping list, but Landsdown will not pay the wages as shown with Assabolonga, resulting no big names, just the usual L1orL2 players that are sat on the bench or sent out on loan, same old story, 

7 minutes ago, Redmycolour said:

They may have a shopping list, but Landsdown will not pay the wages as shown with Assabolonga, resulting no big names, just the usual L1orL2 players that are sat on the bench or sent out on loan, same old story, 

Remember that City we’re faced with losing Flint, Bryan and Reid this time last season. Otib was full of doom and gloom.......but what happened? 

LJ used his relationship with Chelsea to bring in Kalas, Dasilva and later on Palmer. He signed Webster and Hunt and consequently City have one of the best defensive records in the Championship. LJ did an excellent job without spending huge sums on marquee players.

Absoloutely no reason why he can’t continue to do the same in this summers window.

31 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Remember that City we’re faced with losing Flint, Bryan and Reid this time last season. Otib was full of doom and gloom.......but what happened? 

LJ used his relationship with Chelsea to bring in Kalas, Dasilva and later on Palmer. He signed Webster and Hunt and consequently City have one of the best defensive records in the Championship. LJ did an excellent job without spending huge sums on marquee players.

Absoloutely no reason why he can’t continue to do the same in this summers window.

I can see that being problematic and having disadvantages if it continues season to season. Cyclic change each season dependant on loans. Bristol City developing other clubs assets and paying them to do so. Is that the strategy of the club? 

Archived