Jump to content

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

IGNORED

Drop Diedhou


Recommended Posts

The entire point of having a larger squad is to rotate out-of-form players out, and to bring players on the outside into the first-team squad.

I think Deidhou is doing fine, but we've got other options that should be considered, and if Deidhou is out of form he should be dropped.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

We have no one of comparable ability to come in. Diedhou isnt messi, but hes by far our most effective forward. It didnt take a genius to work out in January what we needed and it didnt happen. If you want to blame someone for that, ashton, lj and sl are where you look, not diedhou.

likewise, whoever thought that forward options of weimann, watkins, taylor and eisa would allow us to be competitive in the championship needs their heads read. Thats about 5 million quids worth of deadwood that no one will want to take off our hands.

Link to post
Share on other sites

This is why he will not be dropped - Wiemann has played similar amount of minutes and scored 5 less.

Do you want us to try and finish in the top 6 or not?

Screenshot_20190313-131742_Samsung Internet.jpg

Edited by Taz
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Taz said:

This is why he will not be dropped - Wiemann has played similar amount of minutes and scored 5 less.

Do you want us to try and finish in the top 6 or not?

Screenshot_20190313-131742_Samsung Internet.jpg

When you factor in goal + assist though? The equation changes...

Diedhiou still the more productive of the 2, but the gap undoubtedly narrows.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
Link to post
Share on other sites

The lack of support and service he gets gives a him bad image. One up top, against 2 centre backs is s tough ask. We either play balls up to him that if he wins there isn’t often anyone to lay it off to. Or we play along the lines looking for runners in behind. That’s not his game I don’t think. Feel sorry for him it that regard. We miss Bobby Reid a lot in both these cases. Could Semenyo play that role? Possibly from what I’ve seen. Paterson and Taylor don’t have that in their game. 

Edited by Redbo
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Taz said:

This is why he will not be dropped - Wiemann has played similar amount of minutes and scored 5 less.

Do you want us to try and finish in the top 6 or not?

Screenshot_20190313-131742_Samsung Internet.jpg

But Weimann has not been played as solo striker since Fammy returned.

Weimann is played out wide - a position he didn't score many goals at Derby and, surprise, surprise, he isn't scoring from here.

Weimann can only score as an out and out striker, not a pretend winger.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, City18 said:

I just find Diedhou so frustrating to watch. Touch is atrocious, very selfish player and forever offside. Also for a player in the team playing a target man role, he very rarely wins a header or if he does it doesn't go to a team mate

Got to be worth a try

I guy of late 70s sits next to me and he used to just smile at me when FD fell over under little pressure now he's actually got to the point of finding it hard to contain his laughter..... 2 quality strikers 2 quality CM and someone to replace TK in the summer if we're serious next year about our ambitions as over the coming weeks will simply fade away. 

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Taz said:

This is why he will not be dropped - Wiemann has played similar amount of minutes and scored 5 less.

Do you want us to try and finish in the top 6 or not?

Screenshot_20190313-131742_Samsung Internet.jpg

This also doesn't account for the fact Weimann is primarily not being played as a striker, instead playing out on the wing.

Interestingly when played up top for Aston villa primarily in the Premier League he scored 12 goals and got 6 assists in 2772 minutes of football, a goal return similar to that of Famara this season in the league with more assists too.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, spudski said:

We seriously lack any strike force. Think our season and hope of making the top 6 is buggered because of it.

Again last night Famara was awful.

Nearly everything breaks down when the ball goes to him.

Even if he wins the ball in his 50/50 battle with his opponent, the ball the majority of the time is lost in the next transition.

He simply doesn't suit our system of play imo.

He's not good with ball to feet, and not the best at winning crosses.

So LJ could play through the lines or from out wide with crosses...the result will still be the same...average to poor for the standard we are looking for which is top 6.

He's good at defending set pieces and unsettling defenders during our set pieces...but that's pretty much it imo.

Everyone loves a trier...but he isn't what we need for a Promotion push.

Please prove me wrong Famara.

How would you set up for the remaining games then? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Redbo said:

The lack of support and service he gets gives a him bad image. One up top, against 2 centre backs is s tough ask. We either play balls up to him that if he wins there isn’t often anyone to lay it off to. Or we play along the lines looking for runners in behind. That’s not his game I don’t think. Feel sorry for him it that regard. We miss Bobby Reid a lot in both these cases. Could Semenyo play that role? Possibly from what I’ve seen. Paterson and Taylor don’t have that in their game. 

In all fairness he did  play a lot better when Semenyo came on at Preston. It gave their two centre backs more to do and gave Fam more space.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I would be tempted to drop Wiemann and Diedhou , they both try hard but aren't very clinical or good.

I would start with Matty up top with Palmer in the number ten role, Play O'Dowda and Elliason out deep, and Brownhill and Pack in the middle. Then Webster, Kalas at the back with Da Silva and Hunt as wingbacks. Max in goal. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, City18 said:

Scored a fair few headers at Barnsley - Why not use him as an option for a bit more physical presence when we do just resort to long ball again

Christ ! No way is that the Watkins that we signed.

This guy looks sensational compared to the Watkins I've seen playing for us.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, City18 said:

I just find Diedhou so frustrating to watch. Touch is atrocious, very selfish player and forever offside. Also for a player in the team playing a target man role, he very rarely wins a header or if he does it doesn't go to a team mate

Got to be worth a try

At the moment, it's even worse than that - it's super-kalas-tragic-Johnson-Diedhiou is atrocious.

  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

When you factor in goal + assist though? The equation changes...

Diedhiou still the more productive of the 2, but the gap undoubtedly narrows.

This is true, but with the price tag taken into consideration as well, he isn't going to be benched. I think its also no coincidence that when the team play better, so does Fam. He's just not good enough when others around him are below par, and that in turn shows off his weaknesses more - first touch etc.

3 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

But Weimann has not been played as solo striker since Fammy returned.

Weimann is played out wide - a position he didn't score many goals at Derby and, surprise, surprise, he isn't scoring from here.

Weimann can only score as an out and out striker, not a pretend winger.

Again true, but when he does get a chance in a match, he's hardly clinical either.

2 hours ago, City18 said:

This also doesn't account for the fact Weimann is primarily not being played as a striker, instead playing out on the wing.

Interestingly when played up top for Aston villa primarily in the Premier League he scored 12 goals and got 6 assists in 2772 minutes of football, a goal return similar to that of Famara this season in the league with more assists too.

See above. If he was getting into positions and scoring from them, you could argue that he should be playing alongside/instead of Fam.

 

His best spell for us was at the beginning of the season when Fam was suspended, but the goals did dry up. Yes he was moved out of being the primary striker, but when he has played he's hardly setting the place alight himself.

 

Fact remains that we are missing Reid, and haven't replaced him.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Super said:

Or just give him a strike partner?

Yes, yes and yet more yes! He is isolated so can be teamed up on, having someone else there to make the opposition defence split their concentration and attention, it's so bloody obvious it's infuriating! Especially if that other person can control the ball and shoot on target

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, The Original OTIB said:

How would you set up for the remaining games then? 

I really don't think we can change it now...it is what it is.

We've done well to be in 6th place...built around a strong defence.

I think we've become confused up front.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd personally go Weimann or Taylor up front as a lone striker with the appropriate combination of any of O'Dowda, Eliasson, Palmer, Paterson, Weimann or yes Taylor as the supporting cast depending on who you choose under strict instructions to get up and support, create movement- replicate as best we can the 4-4-1-1 of late Autumn- early Winter 2017/18. At least they have technical ability, intense workrate and in Weimann's case great early runs!

If I was going full 2017/18 combination, if people fit etc:

Maenpaa- or whoever the hell we have fit in goal...hope it's not Marinovic!

Hunt Webster Kalas Da Silva

OR

Wright Webster Kalas Kelly

O'Dowda Brownhill Pack Eliasson

OR

O'Dowda Brownhill Pack Da Silva

Paterson OR Palmer

Weimann or Taylor.

It's a bit unwieldy. but I feel we basically need either 2 orthodox FBs or 4 players in which the 2 full backs can easily come inside. In a nutshell, Wright or Hunt and Kelly or Da Silva. NOT Wright and Da Silva or Hunt and Kelly...inverted nonsense.

Paterson as the '1' behind Weimann or Taylor can replicate him and Reid to a point. Da Silva-Kelly left side has potential to replicate that of Magnússon-Bryan though less good or at least attacking version.

Palmer as that '1' would bring potential to drop into a bona-fide 3...hasn't really done much since his early time here but a combination of:

O'Dowda Brownhill Pack Da Silva or Eliasson

                             Palmer

               Weimann or Taylor

This would give security in midfield, flexibility of multiple players to interchange, to drift in and out with the confidence knowing that the extra man or the condensed centre can guard against the quick break if Palmer can stick more central, it could help us exert more dominance and control in these zones.

Could even when people fit consider for maximum flexibility and dominance in this respect:

Wright Kalas Webster Kelly

Brownhill Pack Smith Da Silva

                  Palmer

         Weimann or Taylor

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
Link to post
Share on other sites

Spent most of last and beginning of this season sticking up for him but honestly i cant anymore. His movement is poor and for a guy over 6ft he wins hardly any aerial balls, touch like Jimmy Saville to go with it. Eliasson in my opinion is one of the best crossers in the league and puts loads on a plate, should be scoring more for me. Bit like watching bambi on ice at times.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, City18 said:

Purely off stats this season,

Fammy 2489 minutes played - 11 Goals - 3 Assists (226 mins per goal) (830 mins per assist) (178 mins per goal/assist)

Taylor 1101 minutes played - 3 Goals - 5 Assists (367 mins per goal) (220 mins per assist) (137 mins per goal/assist)

 

While he may get fewer goals, he contributes considerably more to the team

Haven’t read all the debate, but we score more goals as a team with Taylor on the pitch....around a goal every 52minutes. With Fam on the pitch is every 72 minutes.  There are reasons for this perhaps, Taylor on against tired defences, but I posted over the weekend, that at some point Taylor (or someone) has to start over Fam to give him a rest as a minimum.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, spudski said:

I really don't think we can change it now...it is what it is.

We've done well to be in 6th place...built around a strong defence.

I think we've become confused up front.

 

A consistent approach. 

Lee Johnson has (again) become inconsistent. That fuels confusion. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Cowshed said:

A consistent approach. 

Lee Johnson has (again) become inconsistent. That fuels confusion. 

I really think he thought Famara would be better than he is...and he's stuck with him hoping he'll improve.

I don't understand the tactic of firing in crosses from Elliason etc...to who?

We don't have a team that is strong in the air up front.

We are better on the floor playing through the lines with short passing and movement penetrating the box.

That game seems to have gone out the window.

I'm guessing because when it breaks down we are more susceptible to the counter attack.

Match days seem to be a Mish mash of ideas that get confusing in the final third, where players are often pretty much static on the shoulder of the defenders.

We have lost our way most definitely.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, spudski said:

I really think he thought Famara would be better than he is...and he's stuck with him hoping he'll improve.

I don't understand the tactic of firing in crosses from Elliason etc...to who?

We don't have a team that is strong in the air up front.

We are better on the floor playing through the lines with short passing and movement penetrating the box.

That game seems to have gone out the window.

I'm guessing because when it breaks down we are more susceptible to the counter attack.

Match days seem to be a Mish mash of ideas that get confusing in the final third, where players are often pretty much static on the shoulder of the defenders.

We have lost our way most definitely.

And ultimately the improvement there is down to the Manager. City improved because the Manager made a decision to stick with an approach.

In one of your posts you made a point about wanting a Forward who can control it. What about the Keeper Tuesday? It is again a mish mash of ideas If the intent is really to play through the thirds with passing and movement. That takes conviction in everything, each recruit must possess the key technical ability. Its a conviction Lee Johnson appears to want at points of seasons, then he makes decisions that cannot make that future game a reality. 

In the squad at this point each recruit doesn't have the key skills to do what you would like to see.

 

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Yup, I think we spent a good chunk of money on him and LJ is obliged to play him. He doesn’t seem to be improving though and tends to score as much by accident as intent ( they all count though), but I do wonder if Weimann or Taylor had been afforded the time and the patience and allowed to play we wouldn’t have done similar? 

Diedhiou gets quite easily bullied and pushed around though, most defenders know how to play him too easily. He doesn’t get much from the Refs on the whole though, probably as he’s largely leaning into the defender and looking for the foul more than just getting on with playing the ball. He also tends to do the difficult things quite easy at time, brings down an impossible ball and then completely misses the tap-in, too often.

I really think we are hoping by playing him he will attract a bid, maybe get at least some of our money back so we can rip it up and start again and save face at the same time. And in all honesty I wouldn’t be shedding tears or fearing playing him in the future, which is sad. Until that happens he gets my full support, what choice do I have.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

 No way are Weimann or Taylor suddenly going to turn into goal a game strikers to take us into playoffs.

Properly supported Diedhiou just might.

Supported by whom?  Semeneyo played as a second striker and not as a winger, or Taylor, or Palmer. The Diedhiou / Weimann combination hasn't worked however.

If I was LJ this is the question I would be working on in the break

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...