IGNORED

That Video

RedRock

What the hell was that MA ’yoof vs winners’ video about posted around 2 hours before kick off. At least, that’s what I think it was about. 

Was that LJ or SL inspired? 

Timing and content was utterly bizarre. 

Taking account the team’s  half-arsed performance, wonder if there is something going on? Even Matty Taylor didn’t seem to be interested in taking on his usual high-energy cameo role last night! 

I made this point on Twitter too. It was very odd being as it was published suddenly, less than an hour before the team was announced and foretold Semenyo and O'Leary being dropped.

Although I don't follow much of the City social output, I believe it's unprecedented for Mark Ashton to be interviewed before a City match, much less on matters relating to team selection.

It's been hinted at on here before, but MA is not a Director of Football, and prioritising youth pathway versus winning matches is a strategy that only a DoF besides coach could speak on.

I also thought it was bizarre and that there is something more to it. I also thought it was probably the result of a wider issue between he and LJ or even SL, that this was issued to resolve.

My hunch: picking Semenyo on Saturday vs dropping him and O'Leary yesterday were not the call of the same person. Whichever way round, LJ wasn't prepared to front up both decisions.

And hence by way of agreed compromise, Mark Ashton winds up having to provide a rushed explanation for the 180 degree strategy between Saturday and Tuesday's team. My theory...

Really odd one. Tend to agree with you Ole.

So, pure conjecture.

SL said you aren’t having any money in the January window. His logic, spent a fortune on The Academy system and we need to start using the products. We also need to reduce costs to become sustainable.

LJs view was need to oven-ready, proven players if we are to grasp the opportunity for promotion. 

SL doesn’t provide the January funds and applies pressure to use the youth.

LJ complies and it goes pear-shaped. Very similar to last season.

LJ not happy.

This is where I struggle. Was that an LJ inspired ‘statement’ then? Assume it must have required SL’s consent. If it went out without SL’s consent can’t imagine he would be happy at all. 

Ummmm.. interesting times.  If we are sticking to SLs prudent financial plan that puts a hell of a lot of pressure on Tins and his player development - particularly when I look at the once-common, but increasingly rare, ‘rave’ reports of the likes of Taylor-Moore, Vyner, Smith, Bakinson and the chap at Bath. All of these should be pressing the first team squad next year - not sure any will be tbh. 

LJ to Fulham in the Summer anyone?

6 minutes ago, Riaz said:

What was said?

I have totally missed this!

Not MAs usual very slick style - which makes you think it was hurriedly thrown together. 

After a bit of a ramble, it seemed at the very end the key messsage and purpose of the video was to say we want to be  ‘winners” and that means we won’t always play the youth. That’s my interpretation anyhows.

May have completely mis-read what’s going on though. Still think it’s all very odd though. 

Here it is....

i missed it until I saw it mentioned last night, and then someone tweeted me it.

I don’t get it....it certainly looks like there are some differences of opinion...and I’m not sure who's coming from what angle.  It’s a bit dis-jointed.

Mark Whitehouse on Facebook has also mentioned a big argument on the touchline between LJ and JM re subs.  Is that why MT not his usual self when he came on?

LJ having a right go at Webster too when he headed one out of play in second half.  Webster had his say back too.

I felt last night’s Radio Bristol interview smacked of pressure.  Lee has interviewed pretty well of late.

3 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Here it is....

i missed it until I saw it mentioned last night, and then someone tweeted me it.

I don’t get it....it certainly looks like there are some differences of opinion...and I’m not sure who's coming from what angle.  It’s a bit dis-jointed.

Mark Whitehouse on Facebook has also mentioned a big argument on the touchline between LJ and JM re subs.  Is that why MT not his usual self when he came on?

LJ having a right go at Webster too when he headed one out of play in second half.  Webster had his say back too.

I felt last night’s Radio Bristol interview smacked of pressure.  Lee has interviewed pretty well of late.

You don't win games with shit players as proved yesterday. Semenyo is superior to Diedhieu. He did not cost us £5m thought and is not a failing investment that would make some people look nuts though

13 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

He's starting to remind me of the previous season's version's of himself when things were not going well. 

I had thought he had changed for the better. Hopefully he will prove me wrong

43 minutes ago, Moor2Sea said:

Really odd one. Tend to agree with you Ole.

So, pure conjecture.

SL said you aren’t having any money in the January window. His logic, spent a fortune on The Academy system and we need to start using the products. We also need to reduce costs to become sustainable.

LJs view was need to oven-ready, proven players if we are to grasp the opportunity for promotion. 

SL doesn’t provide the January funds and applies pressure to use the youth.

LJ complies and it goes pear-shaped. Very similar to last season.

LJ not happy.

This is where I struggle. Was that an LJ inspired ‘statement’ then? Assume it must have required SL’s consent. If it went out without SL’s consent can’t imagine he would be happy at all. 

Ummmm.. interesting times.  If we are sticking to SLs prudent financial plan that puts a hell of a lot of pressure on Tins and his player development - particularly when I look at the once-common, but increasingly rare, ‘rave’ reports of the likes of Taylor-Moore, Vyner, Smith, Bakinson and the chap at Bath. All of these should be pressing the first team squad next year - not sure any will be tbh. 

LJ to Fulham in the Summer anyone?

I had the fun situation over the summer of seeing LJ as we were selling JB, I mentioned that it looked like JB was on the way and he seemed accepting but also really disappointed, the feeling I got was that he is ambitious and doesn't want to sell our best players and this was kind of the rug being pulled out from underneath him and he was just trying to manage the situation. 

I think the whole thing revolves around Semenyo.

Bringing him back from Newport and now playing him.

Who's idea to do that and play him is questionable imo.

Play him because he's good and ready...or play him because he's been looked at by Prem Clubs? Get a better fee...or give him games to make him want to stay?

Always thought it was a weird decision to bring him back so soon.

As for  'pressure' and from who....who knows.

I think the statement was about playing experienced players over youth to win games at this stage of the season...but highlighting the progress and pathway we still give youth.

Personal opinion is Ashton and LJ are a bit miffed by the lack of extra funding in January. 

SL (rightly so) is sticking to the plan and the pathway etc. and LJ + MA aren't as keen. 

LJ isn't very confident when it comes to the youngsters, drops O'Leary and Semenyo (Both wrongly) and they think it would be the right thing to make a point about it or justify it.

Unfortunately they now both look ridiculous: LJ for dropping the young players for a useless keeper and forwards who were largely hopeless bar Diedhiou. Ashton for saying it's about winning games not about playing youth players. Well we didn't win did we. 

For me I'm backing SL if we're taking sides. I'm glad they've forced them to have Semenyo, in the same way LJ was forced to play Morrell and O'Leary when injuries made it necessary. 

LJ needs a push towards using our academy players. 

6 minutes ago, Shtanley said:

Personal opinion is Ashton and LJ are a bit miffed by the lack of extra funding in January. 

SL (rightly so) is sticking to the plan and the pathway etc. and LJ + MA aren't as keen. 

LJ isn't very confident when it comes to the youngsters, drops O'Leary and Semenyo (Both wrongly) and they think it would be the right thing to make a point about it or justify it.

Unfortunately they now both look ridiculous: LJ for dropping the young players for a useless keeper and forwards who were largely hopeless bar Diedhiou. Ashton for saying it's about winning games not about playing youth players. Well we didn't win did we. 

For me I'm backing SL if we're taking sides. I'm glad they've forced them to have Semenyo, in the same way LJ was forced to play Morrell and O'Leary when injuries made it necessary. 

It wasn't the wrong thing to do to drop semenyo after his performance against Leeds. If you're young enough your good enough but that performance was weak. 

Max oleary I agree with you. 

3 minutes ago, spudski said:

I think the whole thing revolves around Semenyo.

Bringing him back from Newport and now playing him.

Who's idea to do that and play him is questionable imo.

Play him because he's good and ready...or play him because he's been looked at by Prem Clubs? Get a better fee...or give him games to make him want to stay?

Always thought it was a weird decision to bring him back so soon.

As for  'pressure' and from who....who knows.

I think the statement was about playing experienced players over youth to win games at this stage of the season...but highlighting the progress and pathway we still give youth.

I really have no idea Spud...it all lacks logic.

We went through a spell of what I called “clarity of selection”.  In the main the team LJ picked made sense.  The odd change here, the odd change there, e.g. Pisano rested for a Wright because they were worried about 3 games in 7 days, Dasilva getting a chance because Lloyd’s form dipped a bit.  We were unbeaten and stuff goes under the radar, you become less analytical / critical, because we were ultimately getting results.  There were poor things happening in that period but it seems terse to mention it because the easy argument back is that we’ve just gone on an x game winning run, or y games unbeaten and to a large degree that is correct.

However, I’ve seen little bits of “unclear selection” come in of late, even things like playing Pato wide left and Callum as the 10 at times, e.g. Norwich...even though we are using the same players.  No clear policy at RB, where Wright is now competing with Pisano and an unfit Wright.  Semenyo too at the expense of Taylor in the pecking order.

Its all a series of little things that are missed when you’re winning but become magnified when you’re losing / not winning.

For me the biggest issue that I think most of us have worried about is Pack and Brownhill have looked more tired and tired becoming less effective game by game.  Same might be true of Diedhiou.  Where is the clarity re fitness / sharpness in selection?  This could be a major factor in the last 10 games.  They come thick and fast, and unless some kind of miracle fitness regime can take place in the next 2 weeks, they are gonna lose effectiveness very quickly from Sat / Tues, Sat / Tues fixtures.

I think those two hold the key to regaining form, and our ability to play.  Otherwise we look a poor team.

Bit if a waffle - apologies.

17 minutes ago, Shtanley said:

Max I agree but you can’t just play the young uns if they’re not good enough or ready 

I really have no idea Spud...it all lacks logic.

We went through a spell of what I called “clarity of selection”.  In the main the team LJ picked made sense.  The odd change here, the odd change there, e.g. Pisano rested for a Wright because they were worried about 3 games in 7 days, Dasilva getting a chance because Lloyd’s form dipped a bit.  We were unbeaten and stuff goes under the radar, you become less analytical / critical, because we were ultimately getting results.  There were poor things happening in that period but it seems terse to mention it because the easy argument back is that we’ve just gone on an x game winning run, or y games unbeaten and to a large degree that is correct.

However, I’ve seen little bits of “unclear selection” come in of late, even things like playing Pato wide left and Callum as the 10 at times, e.g. Norwich...even though we are using the same players.  No clear policy at RB, where Wright is now competing with Pisano and an unfit Wright.  Semenyo too at the expense of Taylor in the pecking order.

Its all a series of little things that are missed when you’re winning but become magnified when you’re losing / not winning.

For me the biggest issue that I think most of us have worried about is Pack and Brownhill have looked more tired and tired becoming less effective game by game.  Same might be true of Diedhiou.  Where is the clarity re fitness / sharpness in selection?  This could be a major factor in the last 10 games.  They come thick and fast, and unless some kind of miracle fitness regime can take place in the next 2 weeks, they are gonna lose effectiveness very quickly from Sat / Tues, Sat / Tues fixtures.

I think those two hold the key to regaining form, and our ability to play.  Otherwise we look a poor team.

Bit if a waffle - apologies.

Or Semenyo at left wing when we have a plethora of wingers?

Good post though.

17 minutes ago, Shtanley said:

9 minutes ago, Spoons said:

It wasn't the wrong thing to do to drop semenyo after his performance against Leeds. If you're young enough your good enough but that performance was weak. 

Max oleary I agree with you. 

It was wrong to pick Semenyo for Leeds in the first place.

What do you think that may have done for squad morale?  Matty Taylor, 1) doesn’t get on v PNE, 2) sees Semenyo picked above him v Leeds, 3) gets 8 minutes last night.  MT is a bit of catalyst around the squad, he is the funny-guy, one of the players who brings the squad together.  If he’s not buzzing, I think it has an affect on the whole squad.

What do you think that may have done for squad morale?  Matty Taylor, 1) doesn’t get on v PNE, 2) sees Semenyo picked above him v Leeds, 3) gets 8 minutes last night.  MT is a bit of catalyst around the squad, he is the funny-guy, one of the players who brings the squad together.  If he’s not buzzing, I think it has an affect on the whole squad.

Yep.

On the Dolman touchline, I think it was Matty who turned away and started walking assuming the ball was going out and it stayed in. Not an act that I would associate with the ‘normal’ Matty. 

There’s only going to be one winner though if there are behind the scenes issues, and that’s SL. 

If I was funding the Club and had invested so much in The Academy, I suspect I’d be taking SLs position.

Im not SL (unfortunately) and have never been a fan of the Academy system - although acknowledge we have produced a few of late. That said, I’m not convinced we are going to produce a conveyor belt of talent sufficient to meet our needs beyond that of a mid/lower table Championship,side, even looking medium term. 

So, being a typical ‘fan’ I want instant results and for us to grasp opportunities when presented. Forty plus years out of the top division is beginning to grind, particularly when the likes of Watford, Brighton, Leicester, Fulham, Cardiff and Bournemouth (FFS) have sailed past us.  So, I’m probably edging towards the LJ/MA ‘camp’ - if there is one. But boy were they badly, badly let down by the seniors yesterday. 

Semenyo wasn’t sold because SL said no.

LJ rates Semenyo who has performed well in training, however playing him from the start against Leeds was LJs call and it was wrong., out of position and against the best team(?) in the league.

Max should have played last night, only LJ knows why he gave a debut to a player who had never played in the English leagues, and had been turned down by a couple of clubs already.

Given the ‘alleged’ touch line bust up between LJ and JM I would suggest the head coach is having a bit of a crisis of confidence, and Mr Ashton isn’t helping..

3 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Here it is....

Strange interview re MA. Not a slick PR type interview at all, he's looking a bit rough (sounds a bit like Theresa May!) Weird that he's doing it at all and not the usual suspects. Hmm…:yawn:

2 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Perhaps it was SL's idea…

I wish they'd give MT a proper chance. :sign09:

5 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

Once again, is it the politics behind the scenes that is a big hindrance to the club's progress toward the Prem?

Clearly it's Lansdown's club, so is it the beginning of the end for the current football management regime?

You might be interested in the post I've just started.

Archived