IGNORED

Atmosphere - it is easy to explain...

PFree

To answer your points Robbored;

Even when Teams are top of the league , take Manchester City or Liverpool for example, there are games  that I've watched on TV when the atmosphere has been so quiet one can hear the players / managers shouting out to each other.

Long periods of sideways possession football  with no scoring attempts,  or spells dominated by the away team, regardless of league position can  cause the home atmosphere to drop.

You must have heard many managers say before  an away game , "our first priority is to quieten the home crowd" 

To prove the point, a team coming from behind putting pressure on the opposition ,playing well and creating chances will always get the home fans cheering , regardless of league position.

3 hours ago, Peter1450 said:

Really?  Would have to say it’s got everything to do with what’s being served up on the pitch.............at least when you had Murray tearing down the wing terrorising the opposition left back it gave the fans something to get off their arses for.

Exactly - when we had Smith and Gavin having their full backs on toast before delivering delicious crosses for The Boys From The County Hell - Taylor/Turner - The Gate was deafening....with much lower crowds....we’ve just got nothing to get excited about anymore....

4 hours ago, Robbored said:

But they’re not poor.

Why and how can a couple of hundred away fans be heard all around AG?  Better acoustics is why.

In the Dolman we barely hear the singers in the SS.

The singing section is in the corner, the noise created travels onto the pitch and away from the Dolman stand. The away support by nature is made up of people that are more fanatical about their team, so travel to away games and because of their enthusiasm, make more noise. Home support is a mixed bag of people, not all of the same ilk, some will sing or shout encouragement, others will applaud. I sit in the Lansdown and hear singing from S82, occasionally the Dolman and regularly the South Stand, rarely the Lansdown as I'm singing/shouting when we are pressing as a team. When it's a good game more people enjoy it and join in creating a better atmosphere. How long have you been attending football now? It's not just acoustics, though they can play a part.

Equally those singing/making a noise, don't hear others making a noise or singing, because they can't hear them over the noise they and people around them are making.

In conclusion, our fans appear more reactive than proactive but, create a decent enough atmosphere when the team are playing well. It goes hand in hand. Put on a good show and the fans react likewise.

4 hours ago, Robbored said:

You are overlooking one major fact - an all seater stadium and the design/acoustics  of the SS where the ‘singers’  are located.

Put them in the Atyeo where the acoustics are better and a relatively small number of away fans can generate more sound outwards on onto the pitch.

Bugger all to do what’s being served up on the pitch. The atmosphere was far better before the AG revamp.

Quite how other club's fans make so much more noise than us with a similar fanbase remains a mystery. 

For me the main reason why there is a lack of atmosphere is

The new type of fan who now goes to football

I know at least 20 people who go to City now who if you asked them anything

about football 10/15 years ago would say they have no real interest in the game

But now football is the in thing They must be seen to go

Know for a fact they wont be there if we ever go down

1 hour ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Exactly - when we had Smith and Gavin having their full backs on toast before delivering delicious crosses for The Boys From The County Hell - Taylor/Turner - The Gate was deafening....with much lower crowds....we’ve just got nothing to get excited about anymore....

While I get that.

Different times, football was different. Try that now and good chance at this level you'll get picked apart either through the midfield or on the break.

If it's a quick counterattacking game maybe not but that aside, teams very well drilled or dominant in possession- both can counteract this old school 4-4-2 quite well.

1 hour ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

One of my favourite periods as a City fan.  Today, when we take a shirt corner or free-kick there are audible groans.  In that Jordan period, it was time to get on your feet because Gavin was about to start a dribble that would end up with a chance for Taylor, or if Smith he was about knock it 20 yards past his man and sprint onto it to cross to Turner.

9 hours ago, Maltshoveller said:

For me the main reason why there is a lack of atmosphere is

The new type of fan who now goes to football

I know at least 20 people who go to City now who if you asked them anything

about football 10/15 years ago would say they have no real interest in the game

But now football is the in thing They must be seen to go

Know for a fact they wont be there if we ever go down

I have come to the conclusion that not everyone particularly enjoys being a Bristol City fan. It's as though they are there under duress, reluctantly, like an adolescent made to go to church on a Sunday, or an adult still attending church through habit (and/or to get the kids into a decent school) but their attention and interest is elsewhere. It's a bit of a chore, and they're not joining in with the singing. No chance. Plus, there's embarrassment at any displays of true belief, faith and devotion. And enthusiasm.

I think we have a crowd rather too like a Church of England congregation, with one difference: our numbers are not (yet) dwindling. 

10 hours ago, Robbored said:

It’s the acoustics - better from the Atyeo than every other stand at AG.

The acoustics don't make any difference when people are sat chatting and not singing. 

Volume is one thing. Silence is another. 

As someone who sits near the S82 lads I can confirm atmosphere is reactionary. Apart from the core S82 lot of about 10-12 lads who try all game long to get stuff going, the majority of fans only join in when something exciting is happening on the pitch.

Quite simple really: play good exciting football and the atmosphere and plaudits will follow.

17 hours ago, PFree said:

I'm sure this will get some interesting responses but for me it is fairly straight forward:

1) We only average a shade over a goal a game

2) We have fairly high possession stats but it's mostly in our own half with the ball going sideways or backwards, we are based around not conceding or trying to nick one-nil wins

3) We absolutely lack leaders, the players that wind the crowd up through tough tackles or where they demonstrate a real desire for the badge - anybody remember psycho and perhaps we are missing the likes of Flinty more than expected?

4) We don't have any players who appear capable of flying down the wing and who go past opposition players with ease, Jacki, Scotty types (Elliason for me is the closest at the moment to be fair but isn't quite there yet)

5) Finally, we hardly ever have shots on goal due to only ever playing one striker or as a result of having little quality in the final third - one shot on target this week against the side bottom of the league and we were at home??

This doesn't feel like rocket science, even when on the good run I very rarely left feeling at all entertained - surely the best form of defence is attack..?

And before you jump on me, I've followed City for decades so have been there through many lows, and yes, I have been a ST holder for most of that, and yes, I have already renewed :) 

1) Correct- but the woodwork has been struck really quite often. Haven't we had 3-4 goals disallowed too in dubious circs- think back to Derby and Nottingham Forest away, Swansea at home- first 3 for Weimann. Pisano v QPR too. Suggests that there is an element of luck at play. 15 times we have hit the woodwork this season...bit mad!! Before we even consider the 3-4 goals disallowed in questionable circs.

2) Are we talking at home or in general? Only this claim of us as a possession dominant side is a bit patchy when actually analysed- oft stated on here but the stats don't always bear it out. For the record and I know it encompassed games v top sides- Norwich about 41%, Birmingham about 65%, Preston about 50%, Leeds 47% and Ipswich about 50%. Bear in mind Birmingham tend to concede possession as part of their game plan anyway- as a side better without the ball.  Now are we doing enough with what possession we do have? I'd argue certainly not last few games- Norwich we managed to make some chances but beyond that...I don't think we have been a possession top heavy side (talking mid to high 50's or even above) though this season in the main, certainly not as an average per game- it's a bit of a myth often propagated on here. I'll analyse all that later though. These were inflated by Rotherham being down to 9, Bolton and Millwall- and even in their own way Middlesbrough- being reactive sides who aren't so bothered about it.

3) True, but leadership can come in different ways. Quiet yet authoritative leadership can be effective too- that said Flint was excellent in this (leadership) respect.

4) Game has changed at decent levels- would argue if we set up with 2 wingers like that, it could leave us wide open to compact sides or possession heavy ones. In a 4-3-3 then maybe as we would have the extra security in midfield behind, Juventus (a world class side granted) showed this to great effect v Atletico on Tuesday night, based on highlights I have seen. Anyway it's Championship but not Champions League but still some principles may remain similar. Eliasson has some promise in this respect- I'm sure the club in their wisdom have such bases all covered but if somehow not, get Scotty coaching him, helping to perfect the art of wing play- one to one, fairly intensively! Depends how we would set up with it though IMO- ideally you need that security in midfield combined with wingers who can cause big problems- more like wide forwards these days?

5) How many strikers do Norwich play up front? Or Leeds for that matter- nobody complains about either of their entertainment value. That said little excuse for the lack of end product in the final 3rd...we hit the woodwork first half though, we get that and we probably (undeservedly) win the game. One up front is a red herring IMO- some of the top sides in the world play a '1' up front, it's the support and movement or lack thereof that is the big issue for me. Diedhiou is not the man for that job- I'd consider Weimann what with his clever runs and ability to run all day, or Taylor for similar reasons but perhaps less early runs. Diedhiou often jogs or not even that around the pitch..

The atmosphere around most English grounds has become completely sanitised. The demographic of fan has certainly changed i would say for us as a club. Far too many snowflakes in the crowd that want a nice experience. Its no suprise that our best atmosphere this season was Swansea at home when a large majority of our older faces were out for the day.. there was trouble yes but it goes hand in hand with an intimidating atmosphere.. it always has in football IMO.  Certainly not the kind of advert Bristol Sport want to portray though.. heaven forbid the middle classes stay away with there pockets full of cash will be the thinking in our boardroom!

17 minutes ago, bris red said:

The atmosphere around most English grounds has become completely sanitised. The demographic of fan has certainly changed i would say for us as a club. Far too many snowflakes in the crowd that want a nice experience. Its no suprise that our best atmosphere this season was Swansea at home when a large majority of our older faces were out for the day.. there was trouble yes but it goes hand in hand with an intimidating atmosphere.. it always has in football IMO.  Certainly not the kind of advert Bristol Sport want to portray though.. heaven forbid the middle classes stay away with there pockets full of cash will be the thinking in our boardroom!

There's enough spare seats to allow both to attend. 

On 13/03/2019 at 16:45, PFree said:

I'm sure this will get some interesting responses but for me it is fairly straight forward:

1) We only average a shade over a goal a game

2) We have fairly high possession stats but it's mostly in our own half with the ball going sideways or backwards, we are based around not conceding or trying to nick one-nil wins

3) We absolutely lack leaders, the players that wind the crowd up through tough tackles or where they demonstrate a real desire for the badge - anybody remember psycho and perhaps we are missing the likes of Flinty more than expected?

4) We don't have any players who appear capable of flying down the wing and who go past opposition players with ease, Jacki, Scotty types (Elliason for me is the closest at the moment to be fair but isn't quite there yet)

5) Finally, we hardly ever have shots on goal due to only ever playing one striker or as a result of having little quality in the final third - one shot on target this week against the side bottom of the league and we were at home??

This doesn't feel like rocket science, even when on the good run I very rarely left feeling at all entertained - surely the best form of defence is attack..?

And before you jump on me, I've followed City for decades so have been there through many lows, and yes, I have been a ST holder for most of that, and yes, I have already renewed :) 

I agree 100% we have punched above our weight but as you said its not been entertaining in fact boring and i have renewed in hope that it gets more exciting and positive

18 hours ago, bristolcitysweden said:

The English game is dead. They are all primadonnas dressed in pink doing as little as possible killing the game but still fooling the brain dead middleclass

Exactly. I'd like to see "Say no to diving" and "Say no to feigning injury" banners alongside "Say no to racism". 

What possesses the people who run the game to think that the cheating served up is part of the game? 

19 hours ago, spudski said:

Maybe inject some humour to relieve the pressure...perhaps we could all bring arrows like this lot and point the direction of the goal ?

Seen that before....hilarious!!  I thought it was Lee Johnson’s passing map!

On ‎13‎/‎03‎/‎2019 at 18:00, cidered abroad said:

The "Atmosphere" is so poor because we are playing dreary football that is capable of sending us to sleep.

After a lifetime following City through a few (thick) good periods but mostly thin times, and renewing my ST on the first day, I am seriously wondering whether to call it a day.

I genuinely thought with the stadium rebuild, that we would make some progress. Yes we have, will reply many and in some ways, I will not argue with that point of view.

But with a team in that manages to have an average of two attempts at goal in most home games, the boredom and predictable slow, sideways passing, one striker and two or three players that are chosen every game yet contribute little or nothing, I wonder at my sanity.

How many others are having the same thoughts?

I agree with you. It will come in the end but may not be here to see it!

On 13/03/2019 at 17:20, Peter1450 said:

Really?  Would have to say it’s got everything to do with what’s being served up on the pitch.............at least when you had Murray tearing down the wing terrorising the opposition left back it gave the fans something to get off their arses for.

Agree , even Albert did that in probably a weaker team 

Archived