IGNORED

What Is Going On? Hypothetical Questions

Davefevs

1 hour ago, billywedlock said:

So you blame SL for the inability of LJ and team to not use a wage bill the same/similar as Leeds, bigger than Sheffield `United and very close to Norwich (two of whom finished below City last term, one a place above). Very very generous of you . Coaching staff done brilliantly , ok maybe , but brilliant absolutely not.  Having lost 24 million in the last accounts, I think  SL has paid more than what is necessary for the club to compete with Norwich, Leeds and Sheffield United. His error is not the budget, but the people he employs to use it. 

LJ wanted a goalscorer and SL apparently refused his propositions, which is his right to do so .

I put ‘ fault ‘ in italics to reply to a previous poster .

Has LJ made the most of his available budget ? 

Who knows. We are and have  for most of the season been around the top reaches of the division so he’s not doing too shabbily.

If Ashton, for example, went to SL and said we are in talks to sign a top notch striker to address our goalscoring weakness it will cost us x but we are going to sell COD, Taylor, Baker , for example, which will balance out the books would SL have signed it off ? 

Things will not change and improve at BCFC until/unless SL changes.

BCFC has become his plaything. He controls it and will not risk losing control by appointing a manager who would challenge him. Thus we have a continuance of the Johnson dynasty.

The team are not good enough, strong enough not determined enough. Leeds showed us what that means in our own backyard. We won't get players like that until we have a manager who has been there and done and it. Someone who will attract the calibre of players necessary. Someone who can convince them that Bristol will not continue as a footballing backwater.

Unfortunately SL now has the perfect cover with FFP, which other Clubs give scant regard. I can see that he was well pissed off with the Ashton Vale pantomime. Any other City would have given those virtual dog-walking, pretend village green putrifying rubbish dump ******* short shrift. The  fact that the private wealth and influence of 25 nimbies was given preference over public good is a scandal. Maybe it's eternally beyond Bristolians to see this?? That's why all we poor City-loving idiots are forever cursed

Maybe a Harry Dolman and an Alan Dix might turn up by accident in a hundred years time? 

20 hours ago, EnderMB said:

In all honestly, I think it's as simple as one and/or two problems:

1. Our style of play is tiring on our players, and they inevitably burn out mid-way through the season trying to keep that performance going.
  2. There is a leadership void in the playing team, and when we hit a bad patch the players cannot dig themselves out

#1 has been my running theory for a long time, and it matches with our we're doing at the moment. We burn out around the same time each season, except this year where we have a larger squad, and we've lasted a bit longer.

I also think #2 is a problem, since we've got a very young squad that struggles to handle the mental pressures of pushing for promotion, and for digging themselves out of negative performances.

I actually think LJ is doing a good job, and quite frankly a change in manager won't change our fortunes if this is the issue.

Utter nonsense.

1. We no longer play a high press and instrad play a possession based style - until we go behind, 5hen a bit more energy is expended. There is zero excuse for any claims our players are ‘tired’. Not that I hav3 seen that claim made.

2. I agree their is a leadership void BUT that is not because we have a ‘very young squad’ - we don’t. It is young compared to some but in no way could you call it young and by inference inexperienced.

56 minutes ago, ScottishRed said:

Utter nonsense.

1. We no longer play a high press and instrad play a possession based style - until we go behind, 5hen a bit more energy is expended. There is zero excuse for any claims our players are ‘tired’. Not that I hav3 seen that claim made.

2. I agree their is a leadership void BUT that is not because we have a ‘very young squad’ - we don’t. It is young compared to some but in no way could you call it young and by inference inexperienced.

LJ did comment post-Wolves and Norwich that the players ran the most miles since the Manchester games last season, and that Brownhill’s medical stats (can’t rememver the term he used) showed he was tired (or words to that effect).  But LJ spoke to JB, who assure him he was fine.  Of course he did....nobody wants to not play.

LJ: your stats are low, you ok Josh

JB: not really boss, I'm a teensy bit tired, probably best you let someone else have my shirt v Brum

LJ: ok, you have rest lad.

1 hour ago, ScottishRed said:

Utter nonsense.

The tactic is irrelevant. It could be down to how we train, or it could be down to how we work off the ball. Besides, there is absolutely an excuse for being tired. That excuse is "I'm in a league where I play 40+ games a season". We're not the only team with this problem, but we're certainly struggling from it, whether it's mental tiredness or physical (or both).

Point two is splitting hairs. We introduce young players into the squad without strong leadership, and over the years we end up with older players that lack leadership qualities, and are used to the standard start-of-season grind, and the inevitable post-season crumble.

5 hours ago, Johnny Musicworks said:

Over 50 years stood on the terraces and sat in the stands at Ashton Gate. The football wheel of fortune swinging back and forward. Days at Wembley, Coventry. Eastville. Alan Dicks, Gerry Gow, Norman Hunter, Mike Gibson, Super Bob and Flint says No and Smiiiiiittthhhh balanced out with The Ashton Eight, Tony Pulis and all those times of hope and broken dreams.

Bristol City is our life in a nutshell. Getting in to the Premier League would add a few bits but it wouldn’t change the way I feel whatever happens. Back in the day there were moaners in every part of the ground and as a boy I wondered why they didn’t stay at home with the Missus rather than endure more heartache. Well with red buttons and internet streams many of them can now but for me the all round match day experience has never been better and I thank Steve L for that. 

I actually think we will get to the promised land and if we do it without going bust again all the better. We are not Man Utd or Spurs and I thank god for that. It’s strange that as the days ahead get fewer that for some of us patience becomes easier. Enjoy the ride as much as some enjoy the moan and you might just find true happiness at Ashton Gate. 

Agree with you completely @Johnny Musicworks

It's not for me to try to convince anyone that the "good old days" were better but for me, they mostly weren't.  My memories from the late 70s and 80s are nostalgic and I look back with fondness but the reality is that there were some very desperate years with very few highlights until a small slice of success in 1991.  But I recognise that people enjoyed a more honest experience, felt closer to the club and revelled in some of the adversity.

As you say, the mistakes made signing players prior to 1980 nearly cost us our existence.  I have no desire to see another period of "boom and bust" because of transfer/contract oversights.

This season has been far from perfect (and I've been pulling my hair out at some matches) but we've already got more points by the middle of March than I expected by the end of the season.

It's a bit melancholic but just imagine you knew you only had two months to live.  You really would savour and enjoy those remaining games.  Our "plight" needs a degree of perspective.

11 minutes ago, billywedlock said:

You make a good point, but we also have many players signed, for fees, and wages that never play. You cannot afford that luxury in our situation. Leeds is a nice example, yes a big club, but Biesla stated he needed a small compact squad for his wage bill available. They did great deals like buying the best right back in the league for £750k. Sorry but we have to start standing up and be counted. We have become the random excuse generator club. It is hard, very very hard, but others have shown not impossible. Do you think Leeds, Norwich or Sheffield United would have signed Taylor ? No.  So we inflate our squad with nearly players. I also feel you are being over generous in saying we cannot sign experience. Kalas is not bad is he. LJ cannot deal with experienced players. They undermine his lack of natural authority. In the end we have the budget, we spend it very badly. What is Sl expected to do ? Give LJ a 50 per cent bigger budget than the three teams in the top 3 positions ? Sl is making one big error. Using LJ and MA to carry out the policy. Norwich and Leeds were below us last year, and Sheffield one place above. That is the issue. Our answer ? Create more excuses for failure and inability  of LJ. 

FWIW I think at 300k Taylor has been one of our best bits of business. 

I also said we can't sign experience permanently, only on loan. 

12 hours ago, Drew Peacock said:

Red tinted glasses.  You seem to have forgotten the grief AD got as he built the promotion team.  Or the accusations of lack of ambition as FF failed to make the signings to get us promoted to the old 1st division.  Or some of the football as we tumbled down the divisions.  

In 40 years time when we are turning in poor performances under Jon Lansdown's chairmanship and third generation Johnson management, today's teenagers will look back fondly at our recent cup performances and flirting with the play offs.

Everything was better back in the day. Except it wasn't.

Nothing wrong with me memory or me eyes.

Give me those days any day of the week. When all that mattered in BS3 was Bristol City Football Club.

Nothing else. No music. No beer. No pizza. 

We had football, Billy Graham and cars that drove round the edge of the pitch at halftime.

We had players who gave their all and were respected for it. Not tired young men who walk round at the end of 90 minutes clapping or giving the thumbs up.

We had 8 players who many sing about now who walked away with **** all from the club  - then or now. Name me 8 from the current squad who’d do the same.

Or a manager like TC who’d buy the fish and chips for the trip home.

If SL had any decency or genuine feeling for Bristol City Football Club he’s put that right. But he won’t.

Welcome to the modern world. Where mediocrity rules. Where profit is the priority over performance.

I’ve not seen an entertaining game at BS3 where me and the boy have come home satisfied for over 12 months.

And yet I’ve just renewed our season tickets. SL must be laughing over his cocoa in his tax haven.

We will only go up when The Lansdown family sell up.

2 chances to do so in January's past

2 refusals to throw money at proven scorers

Kent and Diony had 'issues' written all over their social media accounts - and poor form and terminated loans spells. Walsh may come good

Palmer - plays when he wants.

So 3 loans and 'one for the future'

Result - no play-offs, value to potential buyers rise (as in 'oh we just missed out on the play-offs for the last 2 years - next year we could be in the Prem!'),  Lansdown family sell BS for more, pocket money from flats and do a deal on the new AV housing estate.

It really isn't too hard to work out.

Lansdowns had his fun, spent some chump change, got a stand named after him - and now he wants his profit.

Don't blame him.

But don't ever think that coaches like Warnock or £15,000,000 players will EVER come here under his tenure.

They want out - and Jon Lansdown will not, and never was, taking over.

They are just waiting for the right offer.

@BigAlToby&Liam

13 hours ago, Drew Peacock said:

Everything was better back in the day. Except it wasn't.

Oh it was, everything was better way back....it really was to me....football shirts with no sponsors’ names on, players who earned about double the average wage running their hearts out for the shirt, players that really cared about our supporters, players who stayed with a club for decades, players who walked off the pitch drenched in sweat at the end of games, players who’d turn up and play on pitches that would make today’s show ponies cry and whinge....

....players who respected their managers without question, players who didn’t have bloodsucking agents, players who’d travel to games on public transport, players who’d visit the same pubs as us, players who’d live in semi-detached houses and drove Ford Capris, players who were genuinely gutted when they felt they’d let the club down, days when the same eleven played every week until someone was injured...

...proper football stadiums that generated fantastic atmospheres (a million miles away from the muted, library-like atmospheres at our home ground now), terracing where you stood with your mates and gave the chaps total backing without being told to sit down, managers who were given time to succeed rather than clubs having four gaffers per season as is common-place now, games where you could bellow your heart out without Sky commentators constantly saying: “apologies if any language you just heard offended you...”, days when you only saw the game if you went to the game....

...days when you’d debate the games and players in a pub face to face without hiding behind a keyboard and abusing strangers, days when Bristol City had Terry Cooper who cried when we did well...those days will never be emulated in my opinion, no matter what else we achieve.....I don’t care if all that makes me an old fart who looks back and misses those days....cos I bloody well do miss those days and to me they were fantastic and inclusive and rewarding...regardless of results....we were so proud of our boys and we followed them everywhere....through horrendous dark days but also when we were stuffing the big sides in the top tier.....everything WAS better back in the day....

31 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Oh it was, everything was better way back....it really was to me....football shirts with no sponsors’ names on, players who earned about double the average wage running their hearts out for the shirt, players that really cared about our supporters, players who stayed with a club for decades, players who walked off the pitch drenched in sweat at the end of games, players who’d turn up and play on pitches that would make today’s show ponies cry and whinge....

....players who respected their managers without question, players who didn’t have bloodsucking agents, players who’d travel to games on public transport, players who’d visit the same pubs as us, players who’d live in semi-detached houses and drove Ford Capris, players who were genuinely gutted when they felt they’d let the club down, days when the same eleven played every week until someone was injured...

...proper football stadiums that generated fantastic atmospheres (a million miles away from the muted, library-like atmospheres at our home ground now), terracing where you stood with your mates and gave the chaps total backing without being told to sit down, managers who were given time to succeed rather than clubs having four gaffers per season as is common-place now, games where you could bellow your heart out without Sky commentators constantly saying: “apologies if any language you just heard offended you...”, days when you only saw the game if you went to the game....

...days when you’d debate the games and players in a pub face to face without hiding behind a keyboard and abusing strangers, days when Bristol City had Terry Cooper who cried when we did well...those days will never be emulated in my opinion, no matter what else we achieve.....I don’t care if all that makes me an old fart who looks back and misses those days....cos I bloody well do miss those days and to me they were fantastic and inclusive and rewarding...regardless of results....we were so proud of our boys and we followed them everywhere....through horrendous dark days but also when we were stuffing the big sides in the top tier.....everything WAS better back in the day....

But then there was the racism, the violence, the hundreds of deaths caused by poor stadia, the poor stadia themselves... 

Lots ot things now in football are very sanitised but let's not make out that 'everything' was better back in the day

34 minutes ago, JBFC II said:

But then there was the racism, the violence, the hundreds of deaths caused by poor stadia, the poor stadia themselves... 

Lots ot things now in football are very sanitised but let's not make out that 'everything' was better back in the day

Racism and violence is still ‘alive and well’ in modern football....you should get yourself along to some games, you’d see it...hundreds of deaths ‘caused by poor stadia’ - please expand on this.....which ‘stadia’ caused ‘hundreds of deaths’ ? Hillsborough wasn’t the stadium’s fault....Heysel was he supporters’ fault and Bradford was a tragic accident....’hundreds of deaths caused by poor stadia’? Nah....

10 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Racism and violence is still ‘alive and well’ in modern football....you should get yourself along to some games, you’d see it...hundreds of deaths ‘caused by poor stadia’ - please expand on this.....which ‘stadia’ caused ‘hundreds of deaths’ ?

I get along to plenty of games, at least 30 a season, and I very rarely see any violence or racism, especially in the extremes that were seen back in the day. 

Some famous examples of death caused by poor stadia could be at Valley Parade where a fire killed 56 people in 1985 and fortunately we now don't have wooden stands, although the fact it took a tragedy like that for change to happen is awful in itself. 

In 1971 at ibrox, 66 people were killed due to the stadium not being safe. 39 people were killed at Heysel, again because the stadium wasn't fit for purpose. Obviously the most famous was Hillsborough where 96 innocent people were killed as the stadium was again not fit for purpose. Incidents like these are so less likely to happen now, and although it took hundreds of deaths for authorities to realise this, things are now better so to believe that 'everything' in football was better in the old days is pure nonsense 

16 minutes ago, JBFC II said:

Trust me the racism, homophobia, sexism and violence are nowhere near the levels they were a few decades ago. As late as the late 90s I remember racism being aimed at non white players.

The very regular violence associated with football of the 60s,70s and into the 80s are fortunately long gone and as for your ‘poor stadium’ comment.....BS4 calls you out on that one.....

20 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Hillsborough wasn’t the stadium’s fault....Heysel was the supporters’ fault and Bradford was a tragic accident....’hundreds of deaths caused by poor stadia’? Nah....

Hillsborough was due to a multitude of things, with one of them being fenced standing terraces, without which it's likely the event would never have happened, so yes it was in part due to the design of the stadium, something we haven't seen since. 

Heysel was a tip by the time Liverpool played Juventus there. Yes the fans were to blame but if the stadium hadn't been such a mess in the first place, with bits of it basically crumbling off, the disaster would never have happened. 

Bradford was because the stadium wasn't fit for purpose and so just a small fire could kill tens of people, again that's due to a poorly designed stadium. 

Personally, I don't really want to talk about these incidents as they've not only been done to death but are still fresh for many. What it does show though, is that football was far from being much better in the 70's and 80's than it is today. In some respects (on the pitch mainly) I'd totally agree but it's now a safe environment where peoples lives aren't put at risk, surely that means a lot more than having a good atmosphere? 

7 minutes ago, JBFC II said:

I get along to plenty of games, at least 30 a season, and I very rarely see any violence or racism, especially in the extremes that were seen back in the day. 

Some famous examples of death caused by poor stadia could be at Valley Parade where a fire killed 56 people in 1985 and fortunately we now don't have wooden stands, although the fact it took a tragedy like that for change to happen is awful in itself. 

In 1971 at ibrox, 66 people were killed due to the stadium not being safe. 39 people were killed at Heysel, again because the stadium wasn't fit for purpose. Obviously the most famous was Hillsborough where 96 innocent people were killed as the stadium was again not fit for purpose. Incidents like these are so less likely to happen now, and although it took hundreds of deaths for authorities to realise this, things are now better so to believe that 'everything' in football was better in the old days is pure nonsense 

The incidents to which you refer were largely down to behaviour of supporters ...... nothing to do with stadia not being fit for purpose.... eg at Hillsborough, the behaviour and direction of those in charge that day was deemed the reason for the deaths, not the stadium, the Heysel tragedy was down to Liverpool fans charging at Juve fans and squeezing them into a corner, Rangers’ tragedy was unfortunately down to supporters re-entering the stadium up a stairway when Colin Stein scored a late equaliser vs Celtic....the weight of the human traffic rushing to get back into the stadium caused the tragedy....what has that got to do with the stadium? 

And you see 30 games a season? Blimey, you spend most of those games posting on here in the matchday threads....look up! There’s a world out there.....

1 hour ago, BigAlToby&Liam said:

Nothing wrong with me memory or me eyes.

Give me those days any day of the week. When all that mattered in BS3 was Bristol City Football Club.

Nothing else. No music. No beer. No pizza. 

We had football, Billy Graham and cars that drove round the edge of the pitch at halftime.

We had players who gave their all and were respected for it. Not tired young men who walk round at the end of 90 minutes clapping or giving the thumbs up.

We had 8 players who many sing about now who walked away with **** all from the club  - then or now. Name me 8 from the current squad who’d do the same.

Or a manager like TC who’d buy the fish and chips for the trip home.

If SL had any decency or genuine feeling for Bristol City Football Club he’s put that right. But he won’t.

Welcome to the modern world. Where mediocrity rules. Where profit is the priority over performance.

I’ve not seen an entertaining game at BS3 where me and the boy have come home satisfied for over 12 months.

And yet I’ve just renewed our season tickets. SL must be laughing over his cocoa in his tax haven.

I wish I could give this more likes!

2 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

The incidents to which you refer were largely down to behaviour of supporters ...... nothing to do with stadia not being fit for purpose.... eg at Hillsborough, the behaviour and direction of those in charge that day was deemed the reason for the deaths, not the stadium, the Heysel tragedy was down to Liverpool fans charging at Juve fans and squeezing them into a corner, Rangers’ tragedy was unfortunately down to supporters re-entering the stadium up a stairway when Colin Stein scored a late equaliser vs Celtic....the weight of the human traffic rushing to get back into the stadium caused the tragedy....what has that got to do with the stadium? 

And you see 30 games a season? Blimey, you spend most of those games posting on here in the matchday threads....look up! There’s a world out there.....

I'll refer you to my post above. 

No idea what your final paragraph is about as I only post on match day threads when I'm not at the match, so I'm not going to bite sorry

1 minute ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

So you don’t go to many then....

I get to all the home games and probably about 7-8 away games, which uses up the majority of my low income. Unfortunately for some of us, making 46 city games a season is difficult... 

6 minutes ago, JBFC II said:

I get to all the home games and probably about 7-8 away games, which uses up the majority of my low income. Unfortunately for some of us, making 46 city games a season is difficult... 

I admire anyone who supports our club, and ‘support’ doesn’t necessarily mean going to every game, I’ve seen some horrendous ‘representatives of Bristol’ who turn up regularly and seem to revel in upsetting people rather than supporting our chaps - I’m pretty sure you aren’t one of those. I’m pretty sure you are a genuine supporter, even though we seem to disagree on lots of stuff....

7 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

We will never forget those proper days at the footie, if we or the players or club were down we were down, if we were up we were up, didn't seem to matter as much because we were a club together and we loved the club we represented.

Now it feels so distant as distant as its ever been, with no soul in a soulless bowl.

8 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

:sad26: 

Life was more real , if that makes sense. More human, with all our qualities and faults. 

Still I am happy today as I was yesterday.

7 hours ago, JBFC II said:

I think to do the whole 46 games a season you need be 

retired and minted or just minted 

have a very understanding boss and be well paid

be single and living at home 

or have a very understanding wife

i don’t fall into any of these categories so do the most I can get away with...

9 hours ago, SX227 said:

We will only go up when The Lansdown family sell up.

2 chances to do so in January's past

2 refusals to throw money at proven scorers

Kent and Diony had 'issues' written all over their social media accounts - and poor form and terminated loans spells. Walsh may come good

Palmer - plays when he wants.

So 3 loans and 'one for the future'

Result - no play-offs, value to potential buyers rise (as in 'oh we just missed out on the play-offs for the last 2 years - next year we could be in the Prem!'),  Lansdown family sell BS for more, pocket money from flats and do a deal on the new AV housing estate.

It really isn't too hard to work out.

Lansdowns had his fun, spent some chump change, got a stand named after him - and now he wants his profit.

Don't blame him.

But don't ever think that coaches like Warnock or £15,000,000 players will EVER come here under his tenure.

They want out - and Jon Lansdown will not, and never was, taking over.

They are just waiting for the right offer.

@BigAlToby&Liam

No you’re right. It isn’t hard to work out at all.

Any good investor has his exit worked out well before he even thinks about getting the cheque book out.

Building a cash positive income generating “brand” was one. Getting me hands on freeholds around AG was another. “Sweating the asset” until a buyer comes along was part of that.

Mike Ashley anyone? 

Emperor Lansdown is naked. We’re ******.

11 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

I can almost smell the bovril (or dope if i’m In the Holte End)!!

In fact the only time I ever had Bovril at a footie match was at Whaddon Road (CTFC v Orient), watching a young Karl Henry make his professional debut and Donny Manager Grant McCann play left wing.  Henry looked levels above anyone else on the pitch.  The bovril was effin ‘orrible!

Having not been a season card holder until 13/14 under SOD until Joe became interested (and playing Saturday’s when fit!!) I was always on the periphery of the halcyon days.  I didn’t go to Wembley first time because of cricket, and remember playing cricket with our mutual friend JR (not Larry Hagman) the day after Hereford, and thinking what an occasion.

I will however never forget 14/15, Joe being mascot at home to Swindon, and then on the pitch after the Walsall game, when Cotts made sure we shared the celebrations.  He brought all the trophies over, ordered the press/media photographers to stop following the players and take a picture of the “true fans” (Joe and Oskar) as he called us with him and the trophies.  This is my photo just after.1A811ADC-B862-4128-8A64-53C5C418304C.thumb.jpeg.dc31c33b965205a2b6cd2f2ce4390100.jpeg

So we can have good times in more recent times too.  

On ‎14‎/‎03‎/‎2019 at 10:22, The Original OTIB said:

He may leave the way his dad did, the old "mutual consent". David Wagner could work to the same constraints and would have learned a lot this year.

Wouldn't go out in a boat with him..... Not after what happened to Natalie Wood. 

Trust him to sail the good ship BCFC … NO! 

Archived