IGNORED

Just enjoy the battle for the top six

reddogkev

There's no way we have a team / squad good enough for the top six this season, yet lo and behold, here we are anyway - all credit to City for still being in with a chance.

My advise is to enjoy the end of a bloody good season and see if we can raise our game again to phenomenal heights, after this lengthy break.

I doubt we will finish top six, we don't have the firepower, as we all know.  But it's going to be an exciting end if we can stay in contention until the last few games.

Also, even taking City out of the equation, I find it incredible how many teams are still in with a genuine shout of 5th and 6th place, what a finish in store for all of us.

COME ON YOU REDS, UP THE CITY!

Middlesbrough's form has been curious- but overall very much on a downward trajectory and their last 3 games- draw at Wigan then losing last 2 home games have surely ended their outside chance of top 2 and dragged them right back into the scrap for playoffs...

24 pts from the last 18 games- 34 from first 18. A long, drawn-out slump, steady decline punctuated by a few upturns/notable wins.

tend to agree, only saving grace is our away form in general is far ahead of our home form,  in fact not far of the best in this league,  and as we have more away games ! (The home form is another matter and TBH never really addressed)

The next two games at Sheff United and Boro followed by Wigan at home will be telling.  We are Bristol City and trying to predict what will happen in those games is really hopeless.  We are just as likely to great results in those away fixtures followed by inept performance at the gate. ?

Given how we sold numerous players last season, I'm happy with the position we're in now. We're doing better than we did last season, and although we're on the downhill slope, there is still an opportunity to improve.

If we achieve anything above 10th, I think LJ has done a good job. It doesn't excuse the fact that we've gone on yet another run of losses, but it's a pattern to address, and it's still something to build on.

For me, the most important thing is to ensure that we improve on next season, and to be vocal about what our plans are if, against all odds, we win the playoffs.

50 minutes ago, JBFC II said:

Think it's between preston, villa and Sheffield Wednesday now. Us and derby have started to fall away

Form changes quickly. Any or all those teams could rapidly fall away and us, Derby or Boro could start to get momentum. I think we will miss out but I remember around this time last season people thought Preston were gearing up for a late charge into the play-offs and their form collapsed. I think anyone between Boro and Brentford could climb rapidly or fall away completely. It's far too early to tell who will do what. 

After tuesday nights result (but more importantly the performance) i was depressed and couldn,t see any way

we would make the top 6, but heyho last nights results have given me renewed hope. As long as Derby are as bad

as we are there is a chance. The worry now is Preston, Villa but they are equally as capable of losing as we are.

Enjoy the ride.

As far as I am concerned its in our hands, we need to grab it if we can. 7 of our last 10 games are against teams who could be in mix for a play off spot. I include Hull in that as they are level on points with Birmingham who after beating us were 'the ones to watch'.  Shows how much things can change, a couple of wins or defeats either way make all the difference.

Its hopefully going to be an exciting end to the season. 

It’s the team with momentum that usually does well in the playoffs isn’t it. For me that team is Preston. I said a couple of weeks ago when I was there that I wouldn’t be visiting Deepdale again, I think that choice will be made for me.

1 hour ago, reddogkev said:

There's no way we have a team / squad good enough for the top six this season, yet lo and behold, here we are anyway - all credit to City for still being in with a chance.

My advise is to enjoy the end of a bloody good season and see if we can raise our game again to phenomenal heights, after this lengthy break.

I doubt we will finish top six, we don't have the firepower, as we all know.  But it's going to be an exciting end if we can stay in contention until the last few games.

Also, even taking City out of the equation, I find it incredible how many teams are still in with a genuine shout of 5th and 6th place, what a finish in store for all of us.

COME ON YOU REDS, UP THE CITY!

Haven’t seen much Battle since second half against Wolves.... I’ll be amazed if we even finish top 10 now!!

For me its steady progress & trying to follow the Brighton format.

I know SL wants the play offs but I think we'll finish 7th or 8th [I said that months ago] which represents steady progress working within our budget constraints.

There is a lot of football still to be played, I just hope we can recreate that lovely pressing style that gives us our identity.

1 hour ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Middlesbrough's form has been curious- but overall very much on a downward trajectory and their last 3 games- draw at Wigan then losing last 2 home games have surely ended their outside chance of top 2 and dragged them right back into the scrap for playoffs...

24 pts from the last 18 games- 34 from first 18. A long, drawn-out slump, steady decline punctuated by a few upturns/notable wins.

The last 6 form guide confirms that us and Derby are not looking like playoff contenders, and Middlesbrough are not far behind, but it’s amazing how quickly things can change, only 2 weeks ago we were on a great run, others will slip up I’m sure, and hopefully we can find out feet again!

28069F2E-4A1A-4A06-8E99-50CB489E36AC.jpeg

2 minutes ago, Tinmans Love Child said:

The last 6 form guide confirms that us and Derby are not looking like playoff contenders, and Middlesbrough are not far behind, but it’s amazing how quickly things can change, only 2 weeks ago we were on a great run, others will slip up I’m sure, and hopefully we can find out feet again!

28069F2E-4A1A-4A06-8E99-50CB489E36AC.jpeg

We’ve probably had one of the most difficult run out of everyone.

28 minutes ago, Robbored said:

With 10 matches to go?    

Got a crystal ball have you?

Hang on RR, he started with 'Think...' so not stating his opinion as fact. Then stated that we're falling away which in terms of form is undeniable.

Nobody here knows what will happen, but there are clues if you care to employ them.

9 minutes ago, DaveF said:

We’ve probably had one of the most difficult run out of everyone.

Agreed, Norwich, Leeds, Birmingham, and Preston is a tough run of games, so still not sure why everyone is wetting the bed!  However, we have Sheff Utd, Middlesbrough, West Brom and Villa in next 5 games, so we have the opportunity to cement a place by beating those teams, but on current form you can’t see it happening really, but who knows!!

1 hour ago, EnderMB said:

Given how we sold numerous players last season, I'm happy with the position we're in now. We're doing better than we did last season, and although we're on the downhill slope, there is still an opportunity to improve.

If we achieve anything above 10th, I think LJ has done a good job. It doesn't excuse the fact that we've gone on yet another run of losses, but it's a pattern to address, and it's still something to build on.

For me, the most important thing is to ensure that we improve on next season, and to be vocal about what our plans are if, against all odds, we win the playoffs.

Sorry to p on your beliefs but; we actually reached a higher position last season and in my opinion we will finish lower down this season as well. So sorry its not likely

"The pattern to be addressed" we haven't addressed it for the past 3 seasons so why do you think things will change now?

We do a lot of building which is followed by a lot of knocking down....see this summer when half the squad could go.

1 hour ago, RedM said:

It’s the team with momentum that usually does well in the playoffs isn’t it. For me that team is Preston. I said a couple of weeks ago when I was there that I wouldn’t be visiting Deepdale again, I think that choice will be made for me.

They’ve won their last 6 away games haven’t they? Incredible run in this demanding div...

41 minutes ago, Bri Stool City said:

Sorry to p on your beliefs but; we actually reached a higher position last season and in my opinion we will finish lower down this season as well. So sorry its not likely

"The pattern to be addressed" we haven't addressed it for the past 3 seasons so why do you think things will change now?

We do a lot of building which is followed by a lot of knocking down....see this summer when half the squad could go.

I'm fine if half the squad go, if it means we continuously improve on our position. As a long-term plan, it's not a terrible one, but it takes time.

Where it all falls to pieces is when we falter. If we finish lower than last season, and have to sell in order to buy, what's the end-game? We'll be slowly building to nothing. That's when it becomes a problem, and when it means LJ needs to go, and serious questions need to be asked of Lansdown.

Frankly, Lansdown's stock seems to have dropped significantly over the years. Before our relegation to League 1 it was rare to hear the fans slagging off Lansdown, whereas nowadays we're a three-game losing streak away from a thread calling for our owner to leave. I think he's done a wonderful job for us, but I think we're a relegation battle away from fans losing faith in the board and wishing for a change upstairs.

It's more fun being in the chasing pack, you can allow yourself to be optimistic without the weight of expectation. I've not seen Wednesday fans as positive for a couple of years. We've probably left it too late this year, too many sides above of us despite the point gap only being relatively small.

We've still got to go to Leeds, Norwich and Preston plus have Forest and yourselves left to play. 

It's been a strange season, dire until Christmas but much improved since the manager left. The revival began before Bruce came along, but he hasn't lost a game yet. 

2 hours ago, RedM said:

If we do have to visit again, I'll be taking a coat this time !

15 minutes ago, Owl Visiting said:

It's more fun being in the chasing pack, you can allow yourself to be optimistic without the weight of expectation. I've not seen Wednesday fans as positive for a couple of years. We've probably left it too late this year, too many sides above of us despite the point gap only being relatively small.

We've still got to go to Leeds, Norwich and Preston plus have Forest and yourselves left to play. 

It's been a strange season, dire until Christmas but much improved since the manager left. The revival began before Bruce came along, but he hasn't lost a game yet. 

You reckon your neighbours are going to do it? Probably need to avoid defeat at Leeds on Sat to have any chance. Hope they do it I HATE LEEDS!

19 minutes ago, Owl Visiting said:

Always interesting to me how the story of the season feeds fans' perspectives. Boro have had a mixed performance, few runs of results, lots of draws, lots of WWLDWDL type sequences, yet 5th and from what I hear, little disgruntlement. Or you can be like Bristol City, astronomical highs, long winning runs, contrasted with Marianas Trench style lows. Or like yourselves, an indifferent first 25 games (one 4 game loss streak aside) and then a late surge, generating as you say, generally a positive feeling perhaps? Just interests me how three teams can be 4 points apart but got there via very different journeys and how that leads to seemingly very different fan attitudes.

24 minutes ago, Curr Avon said:

Here are the upcoming fixtures.

Like us, Derby don't play again until March 30, and this Saturday Villa host Middlesbrough and Preston host Birmingham City. Forest are at Ipswich.

https://www.skysports.com/championship-fixtures

Villa v Boro is very interesting. Villa can scramble back into the top 6 and Boro pulled back into the corridor of uncertainty 

Archived