IGNORED

England V Poland U21 (Merged)

Nick Wilde

On 14/03/2019 at 23:04, Mrs Miggins Pie Shop said:

it’ll be interesting to see so many promising young players, and seeing how they progress over the next few years.

The last time the U21s played at Ashton Gate was in August 2010, and then this was the team - quite a few familiar faces, one very!

BFEDDBAE-3108-41AA-884F-2107FF675F82.jpeg

Shame only the keeper ended up at a decent club. 

On ‎14‎/‎03‎/‎2019 at 13:28, myol'man said:

Will any of the blue few swallow the bitterest of pills and come to Ashton Gate to support their national team?

Are many Gasheads Polish then?  

Imagine land prices and development costs are much cheaper over there than here in the UK... Perhaps the Gas might consider relocating to Gdansk or somewhere else in the Baltics.?

A nice modern steel stadium (bit dearer now though thanks to Lech Walesa and unionisation, but still cheap in comparison) 

The weather in winter will ensure that the true blues remain true blue through and through....

It'll be perfect for them, Gdansk Rovers has a nice ring to it... 

They're still potless  at the moment though, no matter how cheaply the move might be.... But not for long, the cash will be rolling in just as soon as I get this 'crowd-finding page set up.. ? 

On 14/03/2019 at 23:04, Mrs Miggins Pie Shop said:

it’ll be interesting to see so many promising young players, and seeing how they progress over the next few years.

The last time the U21s played at Ashton Gate was in August 2010, and then this was the team - quite a few familiar faces, one very!

BFEDDBAE-3108-41AA-884F-2107FF675F82.jpeg

Back Row: Sturridge, Jones, Rodwell, FIELDING, Mancienne, Henderson, Obama ;)

Front Row: Walker, Rose, Cleverley, Moses

Victor Moses is an interesting character.

Though a regular for England from U16-U21 levels he opted to play for Nigeria at full level. He'd previously fled Nigeria as an 11 year old after both his parents - his father was a Christian pastor - were killed in religious riots when rioters invaded their home and slaughtered them.

Moses only survived because he was out of the house playing street football. After being hidden by friends for a week other relatives paid for him to travel to England to claim asylum.

He was placed with a family in South London and went to a school just streets from Selhurst Park where he was quickly spotted by Crystal Palace.

Quite a story, with perhaps an unlikely ending that he'd opt to play for Nigeria after the murderous events that forced his departure.

On 14/03/2019 at 14:43, ExiledAjax said:

Jake Clarke-Salter,   Kyle Walker-Peters,   Aaron Wan-Bissaka.

Dominic Calvert-Lewin,   Callum Hudson-Odoi, 

As an aside; time was when only "noble" families hyphenated their names on marriage so as to ensure the famous family name lived on. In recent year there's been plenty of "common" sportsmen with hyphenated names.

Did City's Forbes Phillipson-Masters start this trend?

18 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Back Row: Sturridge, Jones, Rodwell, FIELDING, Mancienne, Henderson, Obama ;)

Front Row: Walker, Rose, Cleverley, Moses

Victor Moses is an interesting character.

Though a regular for England from U16-U21 levels he opted to play for Nigeria at full level. He'd previously fled Nigeria as an 11 year old after both his parents - his father was a Christian pastor - were killed in religious riots when rioters invaded their home and slaughtered them.

Moses only survived because he was out of the house playing street football. After being hidden by friends for a week other relatives paid for him to travel to England to claim asylum.

He was placed with a family in South London and went to a school just streets from Selhurst Park where he was quickly spotted by Crystal Palace.

Quite a story, with perhaps an unlikely ending that he'd opt to play for Nigeria after the murderous events that forced his departure.

Due to not being good enough for England probably, a choice of Nigeria or no International Football

5 hours ago, 22A said:

As an aside; time was when only "noble" families hyphenated their names on marriage so as to ensure the famous family name lived on. In recent year there's been plenty of "common" sportsmen with hyphenated names.

Did City's Forbes Phillipson-Masters start this trend?

A symptom of social change. A new reason for hyphenation. No longer a signifier of class, yet still a social marker.

21 hours ago, cidercity1987 said:

Due to not being good enough for England probably, a choice of Nigeria or no International Football

Maybe, or just overpowering loyalty to his country of birth, despite everything.

Friends and relatives saved his life and secured his safe passage England and it looks like his decision must have been these are the people he truly identifies himself with.

They must be very proud of him.

On 14/03/2019 at 13:28, myol'man said:

Will any of the blue few swallow the bitterest of pills and come to Ashton Gate to support their national team?

On 14/03/2019 at 16:52, 1960maaan said:

They may come , but obviously they'll be locked out :whistle:

On 14/03/2019 at 22:26, steviestevieneville said:

Imagine gas heads taking their kids to watch it. Ooh dad this much better than the mem , the crisps ain’t stale and it’s proper Fanta as well . 

You can imagine Rovers fans getting to the fan village, seeing the live music stage and starring in awe at our amazing new stand. Until they realise that it’s actually behind them..!

In the 2010 U21s 2-1 win over Uzbekistan, the MOM from this line up was apparently Jack Rodwell, with the full England manager Fabio Capello watching on from the stands.

Rodwell’s careered has since drifted, compared to others from the 2010 team, most of whom have gone on to feature as regulars in the full squad. I wonder who, from Thursday’s line up, will do the same. 

Southgate you’d imagine would want to be in attendance.

41 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I think the usual Wheelchair user pays, Carer goes free applies.

Joe decided last night he wants to go, so i’ll Be phoning supporter services tomorrow.  Think u16s are £1!!!

Yep, got tickets for me and the kids yesterday. £1 for under 16s and just a tenner for season card holders. 

I’ve done my bit to encourage kids to come . I look after a youth football club and we’ve used our club reserves to pay for  3 coaches to transport kids and adults to come for the game . Total of 130 coming - many for the first time to any kind of game .  Look out for our Coalpit Heath banner and everyone dressed in orange ! ( our team colours )

Im new into the role and the previous chairperson was a sag so wouldn’t dream of doing anything like this.. it won’t surprise anyone that many aren’t coming due to the location - sad really . 

Once they see the Mecca that is Ashton Gate, then I’m sure they’ll keep coming back ..

16 minutes ago, Brann-red said:

I’ve done my bit to encourage kids to come . I look after a youth football club and we’ve used our club reserves to pay for  3 coaches to transport kids and adults to come for the game . Total of 130 coming - many for the first time to any kind of game .  Look out for our Coalpit Heath banner and everyone dressed in orange ! ( our team colours )

Im new into the role and the previous chairperson was a sag so wouldn’t dream of doing anything like this.. it won’t surprise anyone that many aren’t coming due to the location - sad really . 

Once they see the Mecca that is Ashton Gate, then I’m sure they’ll keep coming back ..

Great effort , hope they enjoy it, and come back for more.

£6 for Joe (£1), me (Free) and my dad (£5 over 65).  £12 to park in Wickes.

Cheap night out at £18...and a chance to see Lloyd and Jay in England colours.

We are gonna be in Section A8 (rather than A4), so will be close to the players.

Was Matt Hewlett the last u21 at Ashton Gate....did he get on?

38 minutes ago, PhilC said:

Missed out on tickets for this up to now for various reasons, and now struggling to get 4 together, but the east end corner is showing up as unreserved as usual? Do we know this for sure?

Perhaps @Matt Parsons BCFCSLO can answer?

@PhilCIf you dont mind slumming it in the Upper Lansdown, W6 and W5 are open with plently of seats.

11 minutes ago, Sleepy1968 said:

@PhilCIf you dont mind slumming it in the Upper Lansdown, W6 and W5 are open with plently of seats.

Ah, wrongly assumed it hadn't been opened. Ticket sales must be good then as I think its mostly single seats dotted around the rest of the ground with the exception of the S25/26.

Thanks for the info.

1 minute ago, PhilC said:

Ah, wrongly assumed it hadn't been opened. Ticket sales must be good then as I think its mostly single seats dotted around the rest of the ground with the exception of the S25/26.

Thanks for the info.

No problem. I've been on alert for the past week waiting for the good seats to open up. I wouldn't leave it too long though. PS If you are an adult STH your ticket price will reduce to £10 (provided you assign appropriate owners).

Archived