IGNORED

England V Poland U21 (Merged)

Nick Wilde

4 hours ago, RedM said:

I’m not there but my son has just texted me to say that it is very busy, busy on the scale that ManU was. Loads of kids, half n half scarves and bloody hooters!

Can confirm I saw loads of kids & half 'n half scarves but didn't spot anyone getting punched on their noses or indeed with nose bleeds...

Mind you there were people high up in the Lansdown, might explain the odd nose bleed or two I suppose. 

nice atmosphere around the place tonight - giving out of free flags was good and the kids were enjoying themselves as were the parents I was with .. 

definitely a thumbs up for the club , ticket prices would have definitely helped - discounts for season tickets also good approach 

11 hours ago, RedM said:

I don’t know, sorry.

Yes park and ride was running .

i just think fans were enjoying the concourse and the stadium before taking their seats, lots of families and school groups who were clearly wanting to look around .

7 hours ago, weepywall said:

Great night, sat in the upper Lansdown the ground really is something to be proud of, any gasheads there tonight would have been crying in their fanta ??? 

Saw loads of gasheads there last night, to be honest fair play to them for supporting their country even if it is at a rivals stadium. They didn't really hide who they supported but it was all 100% good-natured. Weird how in a completely different context the clubs fans can sit side by side in one of their own stadiums :laugh:. A good few of them were really complimentary of the ground (not that they had any choice!).

Some proper talent out there last night. I'm not sure Boothroyd is the man to have in charge though. Set pieces in general seemed poor. 

The freekick was a beauty, not sure a wall would even stop that, but it might've put the player off a bit!

Tomori was the standout for me, he has ridiculous pace. 

12 minutes ago, Carey 6 said:

Some proper talent out there last night. I'm not sure Boothroyd is the man to have in charge though. Set pieces in general seemed poor. 

The freekick was a beauty, not sure a wall would even stop that, but it might've put the player off a bit!

Tomori was the standout for me, he has ridiculous pace. 

Agree re Tomori....forgetting playing age group stuff last night, where he was also my pick, he’s looked really strong with Derby in the big, physical world of the Championship...and let’s not forget he’s carrying Richard Keogh too.

1 hour ago, nebristolred said:

Saw loads of gasheads there last night, to be honest fair play to them for supporting their country even if it is at a rivals stadium. They didn't really hide who they supported but it was all 100% good-natured. Weird how in a completely different context the clubs fans can sit side by side in one of their own stadiums :laugh:. A good few of them were really complimentary of the ground (not that they had any choice!).

A fewer I work with emailed me this morning (I didn't go last night), he had a great night.

He was really impressed with the quality of football and the ability of both sets if players, he was also really impressed with the stadium. He was sat in the upper Lansdown and likened the view to watching that FIFA game on the PlayStation.

On 14/03/2019 at 23:04, Mrs Miggins Pie Shop said:

it’ll be interesting to see so many promising young players, and seeing how they progress over the next few years.

The last time the U21s played at Ashton Gate was in August 2010, and then this was the team - quite a few familiar faces, one very!

BFEDDBAE-3108-41AA-884F-2107FF675F82.jpeg

Wow, all of these bar Fielding? Went onto the Premier League

2 hours ago, JulieH said:

Yes park and ride was running .

i just think fans were enjoying the concourse and the stadium before taking their seats, lots of families and school groups who were clearly wanting to look around .

Interesting feedback and must bode well for future support!

“Who wants to go to Ashton Gate again?” ?‍♀️?‍♂️?‍♂️?‍♂️?‍♂️

6 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Frankie was in and around Blackburn’s premier league squad for four seasons but couldn’t get past Paul Robinson, don’t think he played a top flight game....went out on loan a lot too...

Was also in an England senior squad (didn’t play) at least once. 

I went with my sons U11 football team (we are City fans, others support a range of teams inc. City).  All parents were impressed with the ground, free flags for kids, band, atmosphere, etc, with some saying they'll come back to see City play now they know the ground, parking and so on. Great advert for Ashton gate/City. 

One strange thing happened though....we got there very early and I took a group of the boys and girls over to the Lansdown stand close to the tunnel so the kids could get closer to the players, who they were keen to try and meet. However despite it being well over an hour before kick off the steward said he had instructions that players were not allowed to give autographs, or have selfies, so the kids had to move well away from the pitchside.  I politely explained that for 10/11 year old kids to meet professional footballers and get a quick photo or autograph is a big deal and inspires the next generation. He said'rules are rules'.  The kids were gutted.  We then saw some others get a photo with Tammy and the steward was annoyed that the players weren't complying with the 'rules'. Our kids missed all the players who walked past. Joleon Lescott then came over, ignored the rules and after I explained to the kids who he was they all had selfies and got autographs and were all buzzing. This was despite not a single one of them having a clue who he was. They just loved meeting an ex footballer. They were confused why they weren't allowed to speak to the actual players and asked me why. (BTW the steward later said he thought the rule was crazy and he was sorry, but his supervisor insisted). 

There's a lot right and lot wrong with football, but stopping 11 year old kids getting an autograph from a player at an England u21 friendly is just nonsense as far as I'm concerned.  

Overall a great night and I don't want to detract from the club putting on a really good show in all other regards, but it was just one small thing missing for these football mad kids. 

13 minutes ago, GrenadaRed said:

I went with my sons U11 football team (we are City fans, others support a range of teams inc. City).  All parents were impressed with the ground, free flags for kids, band, atmosphere, etc, with some saying they'll come back to see City play now they know the ground, parking and so on. Great advert for Ashton gate/City. 

One strange thing happened though....we got there very early and I took a group of the boys and girls over to the Lansdown stand close to the tunnel so the kids could get closer to the players, who they were keen to try and meet. However despite it being well over an hour before kick off the steward said he had instructions that players were not allowed to give autographs, or have selfies, so the kids had to move well away from the pitchside.  I politely explained that for 10/11 year old kids to meet professional footballers and get a quick photo or autograph is a big deal and inspires the next generation. He said'rules are rules'.  The kids were gutted.  We then saw some others get a photo with Tammy and the steward was annoyed that the players weren't complying with the 'rules'. Our kids missed all the players who walked past. Joleon Lescott then came over, ignored the rules and after I explained to the kids who he was they all had selfies and got autographs and were all buzzing. This was despite not a single one of them having a clue who he was. They just loved meeting an ex footballer. They were confused why they weren't allowed to speak to the actual players and asked me why. (BTW the steward later said he thought the rule was crazy and he was sorry, but his supervisor insisted). 

There's a lot right and lot wrong with football, but stopping 11 year old kids getting an autograph from a player at an England u21 friendly is just nonsense as far as I'm concerned.  

Overall a great night and I don't want to detract from the club putting on a really good show in all other regards, but it was just one small thing missing for these football mad kids. 

I can sort of understand it as the players are arriving, but after the game you would expect the players to be instructed to mingle with the kids.

12 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Didn’t see that - was Tammy there? I thought he was injured.....cheers...

I watched the game on tv, saw he wasn’t in squad and thought the same. Just before HT the tv showed him stood at the entrance of the tunnel with officials and security, he was zipping his coat up like he had just come outside (or maybe just cold ?).  I missed the start of the game when they would have said about the team and thought it was a shame he wasn’t playing. It looks like they just chose to keep him for the bigger game against Germany on Tuesday, at Bournemouth. So it was nice to be told that he did indeed walk around AG again.

16 minutes ago, RedM said:

I watched the game on tv, saw he wasn’t in squad and thought the same. Just before HT the tv showed him stood at the entrance of the tunnel with officials and security, he was zipping his coat up like he had just come outside (or maybe just cold ?).  I missed the start of the game when they would have said about the team and thought it was a shame he wasn’t playing. It looks like they just chose to keep him for the bigger game against Germany on Tuesday, at Bournemouth. So it was nice to be told that he did indeed walk around AG again.

Failed a late fitness test - was originally starting. Injury sustained in last game for Villa.

2 hours ago, nebristolred said:

They’ve probably bought season tickets thinking it’s their ground! 

• Admin

Can only echo the many comments above, it was a great evening and a night to be really proud of what we have in Ashton Gate

Listening and talking to people at half time there was nothing but praise for the ground, people seemed genuinely surprised how nice a venue it was, they were amazed with the fans village etc and said it was much more than just attending a football match

Speaking with a couple of Polish people I work with this morning, they fly back to Poland to watch their games, but have said they will 100% be coming back to take in a City game in the future, it will be interesting to see if there is an increase in attendances between now and the end of the season as a result of last night

I enjoyed watching the game and there were some very good young players on both sides. 

For England, Foden is clearly a real gem and it won't be long before he becomes a fixture in Man City and England sides. Kelly and Dasilva did well, Madison was fairly anonymous, as were most of the England attackers.

For Poland, the keeper Grabara made one superb save high up to his right and the big number 2, Bielik was a very dominating centre back who could also hit a good long ball out of defence. I though that City might be interested until I discovered later that Grabara is at Liverpool and Bielik an Arsenal loanee at Charlton. So much for my talent spotting.

On the negative side, I thought I was watching City in the second half. Wingers, or wide players, going diagonally into the corner of the penalty box, continually stopping and turning back toward own goal, leaving the central players having to also stop their runs. Continual sideways passing with nobody trying to go past a defender and by doing so move other defenders out of position. It was boring and the tactics that seemed identical to City. 

But to finish on a positive note, it was pleasing to see so many youngsters there and a big thanks to all the parents, teachers who brought them along, knowing that it would be a late night before Friday school. The learning curve  of children is all about life in general in addition to the three R's (Reading, 'Riting and 'Rithmatic). And great to see our stadium full again. If we ever do fulfil our potential at BCFC, there will be so many locked out every match, just like the Gas at away matches!

1 hour ago, RedM said:

44 minutes ago, Neo said:

Failed a late fitness test - was originally starting. Injury sustained in last game for Villa.

There was a rumour that he might be needed to join up with full-squad???

36 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

I enjoyed watching the game and there were some very good young players on both sides. 

For England, Foden is clearly a real gem and it won't be long before he becomes a fixture in Man City and England sides. Kelly and Dasilva did well, Madison was fairly anonymous, as were most of the England attackers.

For Poland, the keeper Grabara made one superb save high up to his right and the big number 2, Bielik was a very dominating centre back who could also hit a good long ball out of defence. I though that City might be interested until I discovered later that Grabara is at Liverpool and Bielik an Arsenal loanee at Charlton. So much for my talent spotting.

On the negative side, I thought I was watching City in the second half. Wingers, or wide players, going diagonally into the corner of the penalty box, continually stopping and turning back toward own goal, leaving the central players having to also stop their runs. Continual sideways passing with nobody trying to go past a defender and by doing so move other defenders out of position. It was boring and the tactics that seemed identical to City. 

But to finish on a positive note, it was pleasing to see so many youngsters there and a big thanks to all the parents, teachers who brought them along, knowing that it would be a late night before Friday school. The learning curve  of children is all about life in general in addition to the three R's (Reading, 'Riting and 'Rithmatic). And great to see our stadium full again. If we ever do fulfil our potential at BCFC, there will be so many locked out every match, just like the Gas at away matches!

Poland sat frequently with ten players in two banks over twenty odd metres of the pitch.  These banks screened and one way round it is passing sideways (quicker) and switching play. If the ball is switched slowly the wide players have 2.,3 .. To beat. 

Lloyd Kelly looked like Ferdinand at times on the ball but he frequently had  huge spaces to play in, so much time it would be hard not to look assued on the ball.

It was like a rondo for England's players in one half then a defensive drill in the other for Poland.

Archived