IGNORED

England V Poland U21 (Merged)

Nick Wilde

I thought it was a brilliant night played by two very technically gifted teams at a high tempo.

Interestingly, there was a certain lower league manager close by enjoying the hospitality and a view without tents. He was on his phone a bit so whether he was telling his owner what he'd like his new ground to be like or hoping to tap up some of the talent on view no one knows. Perhaps he'd given SL a quote for some tarmacking, I just hope he bought his ticket.

• Admin
59 minutes ago, JBFC II said:

Who’s told you that?

Was mentioned by Aidy Boothroyd in his post match interview that the FA are looking at AG8 for womens and full international fixtures in the future

Aidy Boothroyd says England's senior team are considering playing at Ashton Gate.

The England under-21s boss was talking after last night's 1-1 draw with Poland at Bristol City's ground, which was cheered on by a raucous crowd.

Praising the atmosphere, he said that, with England's team playing some matches away from Wembley, Ashton Gate is one of the potential venues they will come to.

He said: "To get a crowd like that was exactly what these young lads needed. It was great support for England but it was also great support for the Polish team as well. Them getting that side of the ground and bouncing around and making it a really good atmosphere.

"As far as being in the south west I think you can see that the club has come on leaps and bounds. Certainly since I was living in Bristol.

"It's an amazing place and ground and it's great that the senior England and Women teams are considering, if not coming, here."

4 minutes ago, Swede said:

Interestingly, there was a certain lower league manager close by enjoying the hospitality and a view without tents. He was on his phone a bit so whether he was telling his owner what he'd like his new ground to be like or hoping to tap up some of the talent on view no one knows. Perhaps he'd given SL a quote for some tarmacking, I just hope he bought his ticket.

Out of interest, how did you even recognise said lower league manager? :blink:

I was very impressed with Tomori, he looked so much better than he does for Derby. As @Davefevs said, carrying Keogh can`t be easy and must be affecting his game. I thought too that Lloyd seemed much more forward-thinking than he does when he plays for us - instructions maybe? There was one diagonal pass he made in the second half that was simply sublime. I can`t recall who it went to but he didn`t have to move, it just landed on his foot and must have been forty yards at least. He also seemed so comfortable with bringing the ball out of defence.

As others have said, if we can keep him as the future of our CB pairing with Adam Webster then our defensive future is rosy indeed. The only worry is, who will have been watching him last night and reporting back to their clubs!

• Admin
3 minutes ago, elhombrecito said:

I'd be sat next to the majority of the City squad and wouldn't recognise them, not alone recognise the Rovers boss !

At Stoke I was sat behind Wilbraham and never noticed him until so drunk started pestering him

2 minutes ago, phantom said:

Was mentioned by Aidy Boothroyd in his post match interview that the FA are looking at AG8 for womens and full international fixtures in the future

Goes to show that with the fan village and the overall 'event experience' the club are getting a lot of things right.

Whilst a lot of people think back to the old days of terraces, open air toilets and the smell of cigar smoke with fondness, you can't deny that families and those without a legacy of watching live sport are given a much better environment to start enjoying the beautiful game in, than the one a lot of us remember.

Not surprised if the FA have been impressed.

7 minutes ago, phantom said:

Aidy Boothroyd says England's senior team are considering playing at Ashton Gate.

The England under-21s boss was talking after last night's 1-1 draw with Poland at Bristol City's ground, which was cheered on by a raucous crowd.

Praising the atmosphere, he said that, with England's team playing some matches away from Wembley, Ashton Gate is one of the potential venues they will come to.

He said: "To get a crowd like that was exactly what these young lads needed. It was great support for England but it was also great support for the Polish team as well. Them getting that side of the ground and bouncing around and making it a really good atmosphere.

"As far as being in the south west I think you can see that the club has come on leaps and bounds. Certainly since I was living in Bristol.

"It's an amazing place and ground and it's great that the senior England and Women teams are considering, if not coming, here."

That'd be amazing, however England have sold out at Wembley tonight so I can't see them wanting to bring the first team to a 27000 capacity stadium, there'd be no point. 

The women's team played here a couple of years ago if I remember correctly, although I don't think that sold out even though it was during the rebuild. Can't see them attracting the same crowds of last night

5 minutes ago, JBFC II said:

That'd be amazing, however England have sold out at Wembley tonight so I can't see them wanting to bring the first team to a 27000 capacity stadium, there'd be no point. 

The women's team played here a couple of years ago if I remember correctly, although I don't think that sold out even though it was during the rebuild. Can't see them attracting the same crowds of last night

They did play there v Bosnia(?). The game was live on TV and it was played in torrential rain which had been going all day so that would have no doubt put off a fair few POTDers.

It was a pretty good game though given the conditions.

21 minutes ago, Swede said:

I thought it was a brilliant night played by two very technically gifted teams at a high tempo.

Hahaha ! :laughcont:

14 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

Goes to show that with the fan village and the overall 'event experience' the club are getting a lot of things right.

Whilst a lot of people think back to the old days of terraces, open air toilets and the smell of cigar smoke with fondness, you can't deny that families and those without a legacy of watching live sport are given a much better environment to start enjoying the beautiful game in, than the one a lot of us remember.

Not surprised if the FA have been impressed.

Yup, and it’s the little things that added to the night too like the stadium being lit up in England’s red and white, see @Davefevsphoto in this thread. My son showed me more photos and the stadium looked stunning

10 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

They did play there v Bosnia(?). The game was live on TV and it was played in torrential rain which had been going all day so that would have no doubt put off a fair few POTDers.

It was a pretty good game though given the conditions.

Yep I was impressed with the women. Bosnias only shot was from the half way line in the last minute if I remember correctly!

Very smiliar, family orientated, atmosphere to last night (without about 10000 less people...) 

Fair play to the Poles too, they were celebrating long after the final whistle, all good natured but loud and very very pissed. I remember the Euros in 2016 when they made the Sports Bar their “home venue” they were so loud and great to see staggering through the streets of BS3 after the games. Good fans. 

34 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

I was very impressed with Tomori, he looked so much better than he does for Derby. As @Davefevs said, carrying Keogh can`t be easy and must be affecting his game. I thought too that Lloyd seemed much more forward-thinking than he does when he plays for us - instructions maybe? There was one diagonal pass he made in the second half that was simply sublime. I can`t recall who it went to but he didn`t have to move, it just landed on his foot and must have been forty yards at least. He also seemed so comfortable with bringing the ball out of defence.

As others have said, if we can keep him as the future of our CB pairing with Adam Webster then our defensive future is rosy indeed. The only worry is, who will have been watching him last night and reporting back to their clubs!

If Tomori never comes ...

:whistle2:

1 hour ago, CyderInACan said:

Fair play to the Poles too, they were celebrating long after the final whistle, all good natured but loud and very very pissed. I remember the Euros in 2016 when they made the Sports Bar their “home venue” they were so loud and great to see staggering through the streets of BS3 after the games. Good fans. 

Shame none of them like football enough to come to the gate on a match day ! 

3 minutes ago, CyderInACan said:

You win. I cannot bloody wait though. 

How do you know they don’t? 

I’d be very surprised if there are any to be honest. , I know a couple broad Bristolians with gert thick accents , I know a couple of people with polish names , ive yet to hear foreign voices in the concourse or terrace any polish speaking fans. 

2 hours ago, elhombrecito said:

I believe I overheard him question woy dem seats weren't da white plaastic loike and I haf some of da black stuff suerpluss to requiroments loike so mebbez Oi cud do yer droive fer tree hundrid poond  

Or something along those lines.

We really could do with a sign putting up "No riff raff"

56 minutes ago, kivsy said:

Shame none of them like football enough to come to the gate on a match day ! 

I think you'd be surprised. I know 5 or 6 who go to most games. 

Most of my other Polish mates work over the weekend, I'm pretty glad they do to be fair. It's great to bring them along a couple of times a season but all day drinking with that lot is tough! 

Used to get the number 71 bus home after games,they’ve now stopped running on weekends, and it was usually quite full,dropping most people off on its way up Gloucester rd,about half of the fans, on the top deck at least,were foreigners, including poles.

16 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Really enjoyed tonight’s game, as did Joe and my dad who remembers seeing Chris Garland play for Eng u21/23s (?). If your father is referring to the same U23 match I attended at Ashton Gate, back in the early 1970s against what was then East Germany, Chris Garland didn't actually get to play. In those days, in an era when players from even First Division clubs were delighted and honoured at being selected to play for the U23s, Chris Garland's selection was headline news in the Evening Post, then a quality local newspaper, but I, like many other fans in the 20,000 crowd, remained disappointed that he didn't get even a token substitute appearance. We did get to see such future stars as Mick Channon, Malcolm McDonald and Kevin Keegan.

Really liked Dowell in CM, and Tomori at CB.

Kelly did very well against a very tidy and physical striker, but Tomori the pick of the 2. I watched the match on TV and agree entirely; I thought he (FT) was outstanding, as was Phil Foden. Interestingly, a Bristol Post article (not by GmcG) made only passing mention of FT, but was quite effusive in its praise of Lloyd Kelly, 'England's defensive leader', noting his composure and authority at the heart of the England defence, his organisation of the defensive line, his domination in the air, not to mention his massive, languid stride and calm, measured passing. I thought LK had a very good game, but....Dasilva neat and tidy, and okay a couple of great balls across the 6 yard box.  Though Kenny on the other flank was not adventurous enough.  Stunning free-kick equaliser from Poland though.

0CDF77F4-7214-4E1E-9401-7727F5578258.thumb.jpeg.257d6be9433bbc3451646808a41452f6.jpeg

Thanks for the wonderful photos.

3 hours ago, RedM said:

Yup, and it’s the little things that added to the night too like the stadium being lit up in England’s red and white, see @Davefevsphoto in this thread. My son showed me more photos and the stadium looked stunning

Not just lit up but with moving colour going around the stadium.

I don’t really get why on city match days we don’t show off a bit instead of just lit up red

Get a disco going in the fans village - I often see the test light shows they do in the winter changing from red to purple to green etc and it is stunning stuff and something not all fans would have witnessed or even known possible at our ground !!

4 hours ago, Neo said:

Not just lit up but with moving colour going around the stadium.

I don’t really get why on city match days we don’t show off a bit instead of just lit up red

Get a disco going in the fans village - I often see the test light shows they do in the winter changing from red to purple to green etc and it is stunning stuff and something not all fans would have witnessed or even known possible at our ground !!

Yes, forgot to say they were moving. The rainbow lights in my photos below were gradually changing too, like you say it looks great and needs to be shown off more. I’ve often seen the stadium lit up for other events. Not taken last night but quickly found a couple of photos I’ve taken in the past. I’ve even seen the Bears logo projected on the stadium too one evening when I was passing which looked pretty cool but don’t have a photo of that I can find.

D39AEDD8-1B80-40EA-BEFD-A43E080F7E6B.jpeg

D493A494-0B61-4487-8B7F-78AAD96793CD.jpeg

42EC733C-BDF1-4342-8B92-BBF8526E310F.jpeg

CEDB094B-7785-4A15-8704-2B53766E12E9.jpeg

Archived