IGNORED

The Summer...who stays, goes- gets traded?

Mr Popodopolous

It's a bit premature given we are still in a playoff push, even though there are doubts as to whether we can seriously think of get there but what do we do in the summer?

Out of Contract:

Goalkeepers

• Fielding
  • Maenpaa
  • Marinovic

Defenders

• Pisano

Loanees

• Kalas
  • Da Silva
  • Palmer

Out of those, I'd suggest at this stage bye to Marinovic, probably Pisano- on account of age, injury and mixed performances though he has improved this year, and Palmer as he started great but just seems not to have done enough. Keep one of Fielding and Maenpaa- one will have to go and try to buy Kalas and Da Silva- or even try to buy one and get an extended loan or a loan with option to buy with the other if possible.

Players under contract worthy of sale

• Watkins

Think signing him was a mistake. Not too pricey a mistake but a mistake nonetheless! Perhaps Barnsley may want him back if they come up?

Players who we could consider trading

• Baker
  • Diedhiou

Baker- he has only played 10 or 11 games in the League this season. He is probably not on cheap wages and has not been fantastic for a little while.

Diedhiou- hit and miss, lately more miss than hit but a reasonable record, only 26 and has experience in Championship and the top 2 divisions in France...surely there would be a few takers somewhere? He doesn't, and certainly not as deployed, suit our current style.

Kelly would be an obvious high value saleable asset but I'd rather not- we'd all rather not...

Players we should loan out to aid development- ideally to upper mid-table/ambitious League One sides

• Adelakun
  • Eisa

In the case of Eisa, should have been this January IMO. Adelukaun, could also have had some loan time but then we did owe Scunthorpe compensation and had he gone out to League One and tore it up, could that have been a consideration, in the amount we would have had to pay?

Returning Loanees

Moore and Vyner- got to try to integrate them surely? Vyner has worked his way up the Leagues, while Moore has gone a slightly different route but got to try IMO.

Holden and Bakinson, I know little about, how they are faring- their chances of making it etc. If up to it, yeah integrate- if not, then sell them!

In this hypothetical squad, it'd leave us with the following

Goalkeepers:

• Fielding/Maenpaa
  • O'Leary

Defence:

• Hunt
  • Moore
  • Webster
  • Wright
  • Vyner
  • Kalas
  • Da Silva
  • Kelly

Midfield:

• Pack
  • Brownhill
  • Smith
  • Walsh
  • Morrell

Wide Players:

• O'Dowda- His versatility also enables him to play centrally or across the wide areas.
  • Eliasson

Attacking midfielders/those who can play across the front line:

• Paterson- though basically a 10.

Strikers

• Weimann
  • Taylor

Both of the strikers more versatile than Diedhiou.

What about Semenyo too- would he be staying, or going? If he's off we would at least probably be entitled to some compensation? I suppose the other question is, would we want to keep Wright, O'Dowda and Taylor or would we try to get something for them...

Actually think would free up cash, wages- not a bad foundation at all! Bit light on numbers though...would need a striker but maybe the cash freed up from trading plus summer 2018, would enable us to get a big hitter or a bigger hitter than what we've had in that position.

I'm thinking in terms of trading upwards and who we may get some cash for to help us do so- we know we made a huge loss 2 seasons ago, he has started 10 games for us this season in the League- injuries yes, has ability yes, but who do you sell, trade etc?

I assume he's one of our higher earners for a start. I'd rather have Kalas than Baker too, if it was a choice.

35 minutes ago, Bryans Left Peg said:

I like how you spent so much time on this, only to still decide we should let Baker go. Baffled.

I’d focus on signing Kalas and Da Silva, and then build our team around those two, Baker and Brownhill.

So you'd ditch Webster from the starting XI?

13 minutes ago, simon uk said:

Trade diedhou and keep taylor? who would score our goals? 

Absolutely. I don’t get all this praise about Taylor. He’s been here about three years and scored a hand full of goals. When he leaves us he’ll end up where he belongs, league one.  

I would hope Adelakun and Eisa will have bedded in by next season and will start to make an impact.

I don't think we need to get rid of Diedhiou so much as get someone else in who can play along side him. Semenyo or Eisa could be that player with a bit more time but it's not being reliant on one senior striker for goals.

I agree on Watkins and fear O'Dowda may end up going too, although I'd rather we kept him.

I reckon we're going to struggle to keep Baker happy as a back-up. I don't particularly want him to go but, if we kept Kalas, then him and Webster would be the first-choice XI and, even if we did not keep Kalas, I reckon we need a quality centre-back. So I think Baker may go too. 

18 minutes ago, swanker said:

Absolutely. I don’t get all this praise about Taylor. He’s been here about three years and scored a hand full of goals. When he leaves us he’ll end up where he belongs, league one.  

I wouldn't mind trying Taylor as a CAM

I would definitely keep Diédhiou. Even if he doesn’t start next season and we bring in a better player there he would still be a great option to bring off the bench and currently the only regular goal scorer for us. 

Kalas and Dasilva I would definitely sign permanently but would they come here? Dasilva I think would do but I’m unsure about Kalas.

In terms of the players out of contract Maenpaa has an option of another year which I would assume we would trigger. I would release the other three. 

In terms of signings I would go for a new keeper because I would like to always have three, a new right back as Hunt would be the only out and out RB we have, a new central attacking midfielder if we plan to keep the same system could it be Palmer not sure and finally a striker that can play a similar role to Diédhiou.

59 minutes ago, simon uk said:

Trade diedhou and keep taylor? who would score our goals? 

Hoping to get someone better than Diedhiou with the trading thing, hence sell him to raise funds for a striker more in fitting with our (alleged) style of play.

Taylor- yes he doesn't score many but he provides assists, energy- could slot in as a CAM as @hodge suggested, worth a go anyway. Diedhiou doesn't do enough for his size (IMO), he isn't quick enough over the ground and though he can pull off moments of brilliance or strong technique, these are just flashes- overhead kick, hitting the bar at Derby with a 30 yarder- those were both brilliant but how often? Obviously if Diedhiou went we would need another striker.

15 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Hoping to get someone better than Diedhiou with the trading thing, hence sell him to raise funds for a striker more in fitting with our (alleged) style of play.

Taylor- yes he doesn't score many but he provides assists, energy- could slot in as a CAM as @hodge suggested, worth a go anyway. Diedhiou doesn't do enough for his size (IMO), he isn't quick enough over the ground and though he can pull off moments of brilliance or strong technique, these are just flashes- overhead kick, hitting the bar at Derby with a 30 yarder- those were both brilliant but how often? Obviously if Diedhiou went we would need another striker.

Good debate. If it was me, i would lose taylor and eisa, watkins and weimann if we could find someone to take him. Keep diedhou and semenyo and find 2 to come in. If we had to keep one it would be weimann, but we are desperate for someone of some pedigree to come in.

makes you wonder as well that if they could see Semenyo was something special why would they go for eisa and watkins. If we had pushed the boat out for marriott instead of those 2, im sure he would have had more of an impact, and we would have had more quality in the squad

2 hours ago, swanker said:

You are possibly right, but how much gametime in minutes on the pitch has he actually had? I’ve seen a lot of games home and away yet I feel I’ve hardly seen him, either he hasn’t been picked or has been injured. I’m not saying he is the answer but he hasn’t had as much time as many others either.

Regarding Baker, I’d actually forgotten about him. Rarely features and doesn’t bust a gut in the same way for the team that Webster and Kalas do. Think he won’t be easy to shift though.

The squad needs trimming and upping on quality imo.

I know it's a long season and it's nice to have options in case of injuries or tiredness but this year we've had too many bit part players.  I'd like to see us narrow our squad to just 17 or 18 established players and the rest of the squad should be propped up by academy prospects and young players who shouldn't be expecting to play much.

At the moment we've got a weird imbalance in the squad where we're signing players in their early 20s and then hardly playing them citing that they're not quite ready for Championship football.  The problem is they were ready for professional football at some level because they were playing full seasons elsewhere.  So what was the point in buying them?

Mo Eisa is a good example of what I mean.  He's gone from playing 45 games last season to "featuring" in just 5 this time, and "featuring" is taking the piss cuz most of those are coming on at 89 minutes.

I know he's had injuries but Adelakun is another example.  He played in 49 games last season and just 5 this time.

Players I think will be gone for good:

Kalas, Fielding, COD, Marinovic and Pisano

Squad players I would try and offload:

Taylor, Baker and Watkins

Players I would loan out: 

Morrell, Eisa, Smith and all the conference players

Current lads on loan I’d try and bed into side:

Moore, Bakinson, Vyner

Squad players I’d try and get more minutes for:

Adelakun, Eliasson, Semenyo

Loanees we may buy:

Palmer and Dasilva

High value player we COULD lose:

Brownhill, Webster and Kelly

Hopefully we do not lose more than what I have said I believe we will not have come July 1st. Though I expect we lose at least 1 of the high value ones too. Hopefully Dasilva and Palmer bought. I don’t believe we can both match Kalas wages and ambition. 

If the two other loanees are bought I still think we need money spent on another keeper, striker and central midfielder as priorities. Then depending on who else leaves a couple ones for the future in those positions

It's only worth signing Palmer if we feel he can be fully trusted to play at least 25 games imo.  In which case he needs to be playing consistently right now, rather than a start here and there and half an hour as a sub every other game.  Otherwise what's the point?

3 hours ago, swanker said:

He's a good back up option for this level imo.

He'll always be remembered fondly i think as he left Rovers and played that great ball into Smith.

Too early to think about the summer yet imo. We don't know what league we'll be in yet (although I do accept it's more than likely we'll be Premier League)

1 hour ago, swanker said:

I wouldn’t  mind seeing Taylor score a goal!

Goals + assists? Movement, energy- all can give opposition defence something to think about. Judged purely on goals, well yeah. Strikers now have to do more- and he chips in with assists too- perhaps not enough goals and assists but he does, and is capable of it.

34 minutes ago, Roe said:

It's only worth signing Palmer if we feel he can be fully trusted to play at least 25 games imo.  In which case he needs to be playing consistently right now, rather than a start here and there and half an hour as a sub every other game.  Otherwise what's the point?

Need to tweak the system to fully accommodate him.  That’s either play him as a true no10 in a 4411 which will put pressure on our two CMs (Which is why Pato has done better when we play 4141), or get a different striker to Diedhiou who is more mobile allowing Palmer to join him from a slightly deeper position.

The one thing we don’t really need from Palmer is picking the ball up deep from our CBs in front of their midfield 4/5...he needs to get the ball between the lines like he did v Bolton.

His signing for me depends whether LJ wants to make him key or not.  If he’s not gonna adjust the team to bring the best of Kasey’s talents, then we might as well not bother.

9 minutes ago, kivsy said:

Wieman. Of course !  Maybe put in a cheeky offer for non scoring nicholls from the gas 

Better still that young big guy for the Gas, the one who is scoring regularly and in their last game belted one in the net from way outside the penalty area. Looks the part.

2 hours ago, JoeAman08 said:

Players I think will be gone for good:

Kalas, Fielding, COD, Marinovic and Pisano

Squad players I would try and offload:

Taylor, Baker and Watkins

Players I would loan out: 

Morrell, Eisa, Smith and all the conference players

Current lads on loan I’d try and bed into side:

Moore, Bakinson, Vyner

Squad players I’d try and get more minutes for:

Adelakun, Eliasson, Semenyo

Loanees we may buy:

Palmer and Dasilva

High value player we COULD lose:

Brownhill, Webster and Kelly

Hopefully we do not lose more than what I have said I believe we will not have come July 1st. Though I expect we lose at least 1 of the high value ones too. Hopefully Dasilva and Palmer bought. I don’t believe we can both match Kalas wages and ambition. 

If the two other loanees are bought I still think we need money spent on another keeper, striker and central midfielder as priorities. Then depending on who else leaves a couple ones for the future in those positions

Damn you're good at this

5 hours ago, simon uk said:

Good debate. If it was me, i would lose taylor and eisa, watkins and weimann if we could find someone to take him. Keep diedhou and semenyo and find 2 to come in. If we had to keep one it would be weimann, but we are desperate for someone of some pedigree to come in.

makes you wonder as well that if they could see Semenyo was something special why would they go for eisa and watkins. If we had pushed the boat out for marriott instead of those 2, im sure he would have had more of an impact, and we would have had more quality in the squad

Eisa has been given 5 minutes at   Bolton nearly scored in that time obviously like Engvald his face dont fit could do no worse than what is playing upfront at the moment

Archived