IGNORED

The Summer...who stays, goes- gets traded?

Mr Popodopolous

7 hours ago, just like watching brazil said:

Surprised no one has said Johnson yet.

Not a fan of LJ at all, (surprising to many I know ?) but I do think now is the time for SL to back him with a decent amount around £30m for the next transfer window or sack him and get someone who he does trust with that kind of money.

No clue how that would go with the ffp bogguts or the SL softly softly :tumbleweed:zzz  plan but its time imo to inject some life into this club.

3 hours ago, Bri Stool City said:

Not a fan of LJ at all, (surprising to many I know ?) but I do think now is the time for SL to back him with a decent amount around £30m for the next transfer window or sack him and get someone who he does trust with that kind of money.

No clue how that would go with the ffp bogguts or the SL softly softly :tumbleweed:zzz  plan but its time imo to inject some life into this club.

When you say £30m, do you break that down as a budget for fees, inclusive of fees or wages, gross or net spend?

You risk points deductions...that's why clubs try to offset it where they can. If Birmingham get their 12 point deduction this season, might that persuade you otherwise?

9 hours ago, JoeAman08 said:

Not sure I am any good at anything but is what I’d try to do if it were up to me. I don’t know how feasible any of it is outside the expiring contracts and loans

All looks really plausable and sensible. Any players you reckon we should target to bring in?

2 hours ago, mozo said:

All looks really plausable and sensible. Any players you reckon we should target to bring in?

That is much harder to gauge as I am not sure of budgets, wages etc. Though I like targeting lower league players I feel it is more time to add some star quality to the group. Think Palmer could add that if bought and with a full preseason. Problem is players like that cost 4-5m minimum and people will be put off Palmer because he has not immediately come in and taken the spot from Pato. 

5 hours ago, Bri Stool City said:

We had to sell 4 players to comply with FFP from last season..... You want to spend £30m?

4 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

That is much harder to gauge as I am not sure of budgets, wages etc. Though I like targeting lower league players I feel it is more time to add some star quality to the group. Think Palmer could add that if bought and with a full preseason. Problem is players like that cost 4-5m minimum and people will be put off Palmer because he has not immediately come in and taken the spot from Pato. 

If we're looking at CO'D leaving I'd consider looking at Gwion Edwards at Ipswich, signed for about £800,000 last summer so wouldn't imagine he'd be hugely expensive. Can play either wing or the 10 role as well, 5 goals and a few assists may not be the best return but it is in a struggling Ipswich team.

6 minutes ago, hodge said:

If we're looking at CO'D leaving I'd consider looking at Gwion Edwards at Ipswich, signed for about £800,000 last summer so wouldn't imagine he'd be hugely expensive. Can play either wing or the 10 role as well, 5 goals and a few assists may not be the best return but it is in a struggling Ipswich team.

It isn’t a bad shout. My only concern is does he come in and displace Eliasson or Weimann? If not then aim higher. If so then go for it. Just wary of signing another Watkins, Taylor or Weimann. Sounds harsh but these types are taking up wages and minutes from younger players. I’d rather trim 5-6 players down and bring in 2-3 quality in their stead. The other 3 spots from our youth ranks. 

Example of my meaning is if COD, Fielding, Pisano, Baker, Brownhill and Taylor were all gone by matchday 1, I’d rather spend big on Brownhill’s replacement and a striker and get the likes of Adelakun, Vyner, Moore, Smith, Semenyo, Morrell to pick up the bench appearances. COD is a good example because we still have options of he goes in Weimann, Eliasson, Adelakun, Paterson and Smith. I know they are unknowns right now some of them but they have racked up big minutes in league football now. Time to utilise them more imo. 

3 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

It isn’t a bad shout. My only concern is does he come in and displace Eliasson or Weimann? If not then aim higher. If so then go for it. Just wary of signing another Watkins, Taylor or Weimann. Sounds harsh but these types are taking up wages and minutes from younger players. I’d rather trim 5-6 players down and bring in 2-3 quality in their stead. The other 3 spots from our youth ranks. 

Example of my meaning is if COD, Fielding, Pisano, Baker, Brownhill and Taylor were all gone by matchday 1, I’d rather spend big on Brownhill’s replacement and a striker and get the likes of Adelakun, Vyner, Moore, Smith, Semenyo, Morrell to pick up the bench appearances. COD is a good example because we still have options of he goes in Weimann, Eliasson, Adelakun, Paterson and Smith. I know they are unknowns right now some of them but they have racked up big minutes in league football now. Time to utilise them more imo. 

I'd probably look to sell Watkins and someone like Edwards is then able to cover both wings on the bench/rotate on form. Essentially CO'D & Watkins out with 1 incoming, money gained through sold players and probably less than half the wages. Adelakun then acts as squad member incase of injury/suspension.

Thing about trading is you can only sell players who other teams want and are able to afford to pay.  Non-playing players on good wages don't tend to want to accept significant drops in the earnings just to play without being compensated. 

Realistically, O Dowda will go as he's just got the one year left.  Similarly both Taylor and Wright could go should we get decent offers and we not be minded to renew their contracts.  This won't get a huge amount in transfer fees but would at least free up some space in the squad

I would definitely tie Maenpaa onto a good contract and let Frank go, or if Maenpaa doesn't want to stay, give Frank another year.  Max O'Leary needs to either be promoted to number 2 or loaned out to League 1/2 to get experience. 

Whatever we do, don't buy another wide attacker/winger.  We've wasted at least one squad position on them at the expense of a central striker or experienced CM. Each season there is a blind spot in our recruitment meaning we slog players to death

On 14/03/2019 at 20:07, Davefevs said:

Need to tweak the system to fully accommodate him.  That’s either play him as a true no10 in a 4411 which will put pressure on our two CMs (Which is why Pato has done better when we play 4141), or get a different striker to Diedhiou who is more mobile allowing Palmer to join him from a slightly deeper position.

The one thing we don’t really need from Palmer is picking the ball up deep from our CBs in front of their midfield 4/5...he needs to get the ball between the lines like he did v Bolton.

His signing for me depends whether LJ wants to make him key or not.  If he’s not gonna adjust the team to bring the best of Kasey’s talents, then we might as well not bother.

I'd like to see Palmer and Paterson play together. It's been one or the other except for a few minutes.  

First out the door Paterson - to anyone that will take him - as long as it’s not MLS I’ll pay his fare!

i can see Fielding, Callas, Baker and unfortunately O’douda going, have a feeling that Brownhill, Pack and Elliason will want away too - mainly because of our lack of progress by season end.

Fammy will stay, but only because no team will pay us anything near £5mill for him

42 minutes ago, The Bard said:

I'd like to see Palmer and Paterson play together. It's been one or the other except for a few minutes.  

Why? How long would the partnership last? Palmer working his socks off until Paterson sees the possibility of a challenge and gives the ball away! It would happen so often that Palmer would avoid going anywhere near him!

58 minutes ago, dave36 said:

Why? How long would the partnership last? Palmer working his socks off until Paterson sees the possibility of a challenge and gives the ball away! It would happen so often that Palmer would avoid going anywhere near him!

Why?  Because I think we lack creative minds in the team. Paterson played his best football last season when he was on the same wavelength as Bobby Reid.  To my mind Palmer is a very good player and I am looking at LJ and thinking 'Can you manage a player who is maybe stepping down to play for us rather than someone stepping up'.  He doesn't trust him and that doesn't reflect well on the manager. Give the man confidence and he'll do stuff. 

The real problem we have is a lack of balance in the squad.  Certain players will get picked no matter how out of form due to a lack of resources in their position whereas others dont get 2 games in a row despite good performances.

11 hours ago, JoeAman08 said:

No point replacing COD.  We should be looking to Semenyo, Weimann, Paterson, Eliasson and Adelukan, not mention the lesser spotted Marley Watkins to play in wide areas.  Brownhill wil probably play there too when Smith is back fit.

1 hour ago, The Bard said:

Why?  Because I think we lack creative minds in the team. Paterson played his best football last season when he was on the same wavelength as Bobby Reid.  To my mind Palmer is a very good player and I am looking at LJ and thinking 'Can you manage a player who is maybe stepping down to play for us rather than someone stepping up'.  He doesn't trust him and that doesn't reflect well on the manager. Give the man confidence and he'll do stuff. 

The real problem we have is a lack of balance in the squad.  Certain players will get picked no matter how out of form due to a lack of resources in their position whereas others dont get 2 games in a row despite good performances.

Sorry but Paterson on the team means we are a player short!

yes he can demonstrate fantastic speed and control, BUT only if he is playing in space. He almost never tackles and going forward can’t wait to get rid of the ball if challenged. Certainly not strong or brave enough to support any centre forward!

just seeing his name in the starting 11 is enough for us and more importantly the players to know that it’s going to be a difficult game - the only one feeling the love is LJ, not a surprise as that’s the same playing style he offered in his last two seasons, stand off from attackers and get rid of the ball PDQ when attacking

Interesting article in the post, though it reflects our thoughts on here.

im actually in favour of cashing in on odowda this summer, attacking wide players are one of the things we are doing ok for, and presumably he will bring in some decent money. Odowda is potentially great but 3 or 4 moments of greatness this season wont be hard to replace within the squad.

That money would be much better spent on a goal scorer or a top midfielder!

13 hours ago, The Bard said:

No point replacing COD.  We should be looking to Semenyo, Weimann, Paterson, Eliasson and Adelukan, not mention the lesser spotted Marley Watkins to play in wide areas.  Brownhill wil probably play there too when Smith is back fit.

I agree and have said it before. We have plenty of options wide. Take that 4-5m and use it towards a quality CM or striker. As it stands, could be Palmer for that money which personally I am a fan of. 

Archived