Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

Rich

The Kiwi keeper

What it does show is a club with our lack of  real “clout” at this level will not do much better than Niki as number 1 and Frank number 2. It’s a shame we don’t have a 28 year old Maenppa.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Cowshed said:

Rightio I was pointing out how little people know about this player and what his skills are. 

If the intent is for City to play out? Does the player possess that ability? What attributes do you think the team needs in a keeper?

Last season around march I suggested signing a keeper available on a free -  Tim Krul. I also suggested at a cost Adam Webster ... It's in my post history. Both I felt could progress the way the ball was moved through the first third.

That would be recruiting to a model of play. A possession based principle.

City don't seek to monopolise possession. Mr Johnson could view the keepers foot skill as a low priority.  So unless you know what's in  Mr Johnson's mind  I can't answer your ?'s.

Max is more than decent at distributing the ball which makes me hope he was left out due it the new recruit being equally as good in that dept, and he had a  game affected simply by nerves.

Not just nerves, terrible conditions. The infamous punch! I watched the flight of the ball on replay a few times and his timing was correct to meet the flight of the ball, unfortunately, the ball moved a little right at the death because of the wind and he ended up slightly more underneath it than he seemed to have planned for. He punched the ball straight upwards from about the six yard line, from where I was sitting we were lucky the lino never gave a corner as Fammy hooked the ball clear from behind the line. So, because of the wind, the ball travelled backwards about 7 yards, not easy conditions. Not over protecting him, as anyone is fair game for criticism, just pointing out other factors to make a more accurate assessment.

• Like 1

Terrible decision from LJ to drop max, who has proven he can cut it in he Champ. Kiwi was signed as a fourth choice and should have remained on the bench .  

At this level it’s important a keeper can play out from the back and be comfortable with ball at his feet. Marinovic was most certainly not comfortable and appears to lack sureness of touch/control. 

Not his fault but he should be sub, as a last ditch option. You could see defence were unsettled and didn’t trust his kicking so were much higher up the pitch second half, uncertain about either passing back or him picking them out to build from the back. Max is good at these things . 

Big fail from LJ, not unlike the Semenyo Start vs one of the leagues best and most attaching right backs.

Hopefully with a break,  heads are cleared and we go for it during the final 10 games with some smarter management . Still all to play for. 

14 hours ago, Numero Uno said:

What it does show is a club with our lack of  real “clout” at this level will not do much better than Niki as number 1 and Frank number 2. It’s a shame we don’t have a 28 year old Maenppa.

Couldn’t agree more.  Hoping these little niggly calf injuries are sorted, and his overall lack of games in his career means he can go on another 2/3 seasons.  I really like him.

15 hours ago, Rich said:

Not just nerves, terrible conditions. The infamous punch! I watched the flight of the ball on replay a few times and his timing was correct to meet the flight of the ball, unfortunately, the ball moved a little right at the death because of the wind and he ended up slightly more underneath it than he seemed to have planned for. He punched the ball straight upwards from about the six yard line, from where I was sitting we were lucky the lino never gave a corner as Fammy hooked the ball clear from behind the line. So, because of the wind, the ball travelled backwards about 7 yards, not easy conditions. Not over protecting him, as anyone is fair game for criticism, just pointing out other factors to make a more accurate assessment.

Which is why I did not mention it.

I did have a quick google and found.

https://soccersouls.com/gerrard-would-be-very-clever-to-sign-this-top-class-shot-stopper-for-rangers-and-it-would-be-a-game-changer/

The 6ft 3in shot-stopper has sharp reflexes and is also good on the ground. However, his distribution and handling skills can be poor at times.

Edited by Cowshed

He was as nervous as a long tailed cat in a room full of rocking chairs early on, but he improved as the game wore on. Once he gets up to Championship speed he may well prove useful. 

For no good reason, I got the impression that the players would have been happier with Max O'Leary on Tuesday night and I felt that his absence contributed to a lacklustre performance all round. 

Hoping for improvement all round

1 hour ago, Sweeneys Penalties said:

He was as nervous as a long tailed cat in a room full of rocking chairs early on, but he improved as the game wore on. Once he gets up to Championship speed he may well prove useful. 

For no good reason, I got the impression that the players would have been happier with Max O'Leary on Tuesday night and I felt that his absence contributed to a lacklustre performance all round. 

Hoping for improvement all round

Trust is the answer, That’s why our defence has been so good for most of the season with Maenpaa and O’Leary between the sticks - LJ messed up the Ipswich game, naivety!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Cowshed said:

Which is why I did not mention it.

I did have a quick google and found.

https://soccersouls.com/gerrard-would-be-very-clever-to-sign-this-top-class-shot-stopper-for-rangers-and-it-would-be-a-game-changer/

The 6ft 3in shot-stopper has sharp reflexes and is also good on the ground. However, his distribution and handling skills can be poor at times.

I was referring to your statement : "and he had a  game affected simply by nerves". I was pointing out that other factors were at play.