IGNORED

Glastonbury, poster just announced with more artists

RedM

3 minutes ago, AshtonGreat said:

The Cure should be interesting. I just watched the much-lauded Killers set. Was pretty mediocre I thought

Enjoying them so far. They have a sensational back catalogue to draw from.

Will watch The Streers later. To borrow from a posting on another forum "if any of you have teenagers who you are trying to warn off cocaine, get The Streets on now." Sounds interesting. 

5 hours ago, One Team In Keynsham said:

If this guy is not a plant, it is brilliant:

Dave gets someone up to do Thiago Silva with him at every set he plays.

Also I don't think a plant would be so clearly off his chops haha.

6 minutes ago, Undy English said:

I see the Glasto Eco-Warriors left Worthy Farm as an absolute dump with litter and plastic everywhere. Hypocrites. 

203,000 people go to Glastonbury and you think every single one of them is an eco-warrior? 

29 minutes ago, Undy English said:

I see the Glasto Eco-Warriors left Worthy Farm as an absolute dump with litter and plastic everywhere. Hypocrites. 

What a sad, killjoy attitude you display.

The site is huge, the crowd is huge, the bins - though emptied hourly when possible - are always going to be inadequate.

Go anywhere where there have been hundreds of thousands of people and you'll find litter afterwards. The streets of London are full of it after the marathon, for instance. As is the centre of Bristol after an average Saturday night!

In the case of Pilton, it's all on pasture, so the festival employs an army of litter pickers to leave the site safe for cows and other critters after the event. It doesn't take long to return it to land that you'd never know hosted a festival. I know, I used to help organise this.

Very little of the litter this year is likely to be plastic BTW: traders only sold cans, and cold water was available for free from all the bars and from standpipes. You could get a reusable bottle, but people were discouraged from bringing plastic single-use containers on site. Glass bottles have long been banned. 45 tonnes of Aluminium is recycled during and after the festival, and the money this raises goes to recycling charities.

It was dry this year, so people don't tend to leave as much stuff, but when it's muddy, you get thousands of tents left. These used to go to landfill, but are now recycled for use by aid and homelessness charities. 

1 hour ago, Undy English said:

I see you’ve read the daily mail with it’s 40+ pictures of the pyramid field and nowhere else. It’s all they have this year.. The rubbish this year was 100x better - there was also a total ban on single use plastic FYI. The pictures I saw was rubbish left next to the bins as they were full. The recycling teams would soon be on it.  Just clickbait shite for people who don’t like the festival. 

Glastonbury is far better than the likes of Reading and Download yet gets all the abuse....

Don't suppose anyone saw Professor Elemental while they were there?

Never been to Glastonbury and with every year I miss I think it's getting more likely I never will. I enjoy watching every year though, about the only time I get to hear anything new (to me) these days.

I thought Stormzy was great Friday night and enjoyed Lizzo and Foals particularly this year. Will watch Hot Chip later as everyone here seems to recommend them!

The Killers just seemed a bit meh! to me, and The Cure, whilst I like them of old, Fatty Bob the Rent Boy is looking a bit past it now.

19 minutes ago, richwwtk said:

Don't suppose anyone saw Professor Elemental while they were there?

Never been to Glastonbury and with every year I miss I think it's getting more likely I never will. I enjoy watching every year though, about the only time I get to hear anything new (to me) these days.

I thought Stormzy was great Friday night and enjoyed Lizzo and Foals particularly this year. Will watch Hot Chip later as everyone here seems to recommend them!

The Killers just seemed a bit meh! to me, and The Cure, whilst I like them of old, Fatty Bob the Rent Boy is looking a bit past it now.

Yes! Randomly walked off the west holts field and found him as part of the Caravan of Lost Souls show. He was superb! 

12 minutes ago, TomF said:

Yes! Randomly walked off the west holts field and found him as part of the Caravan of Lost Souls show. He was superb! 

I've been a bit of a fan ever since his 'Chap Hop' wars with Mr B The Gentleman Rhymer, have been meaning to watch him somewhere ever since. Didn't realise he was at Glastonbury until I saw his Facebook feed.

6 minutes ago, richwwtk said:

I've been a bit of a fan ever since his 'Chap Hop' wars with Mr B The Gentleman Rhymer, have been meaning to watch him somewhere ever since. Didn't realise he was at Glastonbury until I saw his Facebook feed.

I saw a Professor Elemental vs Mr B. Chap-Hop rap battle in Brighton once. Was absolutely surreal.

I have used "I'm British" by Prof. Elemental as a set intro for many years, always gets a good reaction once people get into the lyrics.

6 hours ago, Stortz said:

I'm way too old to be down with what the kids listen to in the hit parade, and had never heard the song, or of Dave, before yesterday. I am now a tad more educated.

22 hours ago, TomF said:

I see you’ve read the daily mail with it’s 40+ pictures of the pyramid field and nowhere else. It’s all they have this year.. The rubbish this year was 100x better - there was also a total ban on single use plastic FYI. The pictures I saw was rubbish left next to the bins as they were full. The recycling teams would soon be on it.  Just clickbait shite for people who don’t like the festival. 

Glastonbury is far better than the likes of Reading and Download yet gets all the abuse....

Totally agree. Yes there was some litter left on the Pyramid and other stages, I wasn’t at The Cure but walked across afterwards about 2am, but it was so much better than previous years. I deliberately looked for things that had shocked me previously, picnic chairs and tables and all the plastic crunched underfoot. There really was very, very little of that. Even in the camping areas most tents were being packed up and people could be seen carrying them out.

Yes, it did help that it was dry and the weather didn’t trash things in the same way as in the past, but the litter pickers did a great job but people did their bit on the whole too. I was chatting to a Fire Steward at one of the tented venues, she said they took great pride keeping their area clean and helped out with the litter picking too to make it nice for people. 

I made an appearance on site on Sunday having unexpectedly snaffled a village ticket.

West Holts was where it's at AFAIC: This Is Kit and the legendary Roy Ayers! Cold shouldered the Cure to watch Janelle Monae instead. Didn't regret it. 

Cracking weekend. 6th time I’ve been and one of the best atmospheres I’ve come across. Although I found the crowd  for Liam Gallagher and The Streets edgy. 

Stormzy was amazing and surprisingly enjoyed Kylie. Didn’t see as much as I wanted because of the heat and found myself seeking shade at The Spike Bar 

Found Pangea underwhelming and although Glastonbury-on-Sea has nice views not much else. But all in all a great weekend and had some great fun in the bars on Weds and Thurs night! 

58 minutes ago, winterbournered said:

Cracking weekend. 6th time I’ve been and one of the best atmospheres I’ve come across. Although I found the crowd  for Liam Gallagher and The Streets edgy. 

Stormzy was amazing and surprisingly enjoyed Kylie. Didn’t see as much as I wanted because of the heat and found myself seeking shade at The Spike Bar 

Found Pangea underwhelming and although Glastonbury-on-Sea has nice views not much else. But all in all a great weekend and had some great fun in the bars on Weds and Thurs night! 

I didn’t see Liam Gallagher but was at Friendly Fire in the John Peel which was on before The Streets. That was the first real pinch point squash of the festival, loads and loads trying to get in as we tried to get out. I certainly didn’t fancy The Cure so decided to go to Glastonbury on Sea and the Ribbon Tower etc instead, I’ve always been watching stuff and never been up there at night. There were thousands passing us in the opposite direction as we walked heading to The Streets, must have been like The Killers were last time, loads locked out. I didn’t realise they were so popular. On our way we passed The Other and in comparison Christina and the Queens had a very small crowd, The Streets should have been at that stage in my opinion.

On 01/07/2019 at 11:39, Undy English said:

Someone I know took a picture of the field we camped in after they left today. Where is this litter you speak of?

C3E43420-3E7A-4E39-8E39-52561D74C6E8.jpeg.3c5fcc29cd338d9d8be6a1ae535e03f1.jpeg

See Emily Eavis’ twitter post in @TomF‘s  post above. Don’t get me wrong - it is deeply depressing that some people cannot put their litter in bins at a festival with a ridiculous number of bins but the site is way clearer than most years and you have made yourself look rather silly with an inaccurate post about something you clearly knew nothing about.

So why even post it at all?

Had a great time. Probably my favourite of the four times I've been. The weather obviously helped but there was some cracking stuff over the week.

Mik Artistik on Thursday was a stupid amount of fun as he has been whenever I have seen him.

On Friday, the Vaccines were much better than I expected, I got dragged to Sheryl Crow and was surprised I enjoyed it, then Pond and Rosalia were both great on the John Peel stage. I then ended up sitting around near my tent with Lauren Hill, Aurora, George Ezra and Pale Waves I the background before Interpol who were, whilst by no means the best thing I saw all weekend, a pleasant bit of nostalgia.

On Saturday, I watched Squid, who were quite good, then the Proclaimers and She Drew the Gun, who were both massive highlights, then a band called Sophie & the Giants in Croissant Neuf who were ace, Fontaines DC (not my thing but enjoyable enough), then Stella Donnelly, who was hilarious and brilliant, followed by Jimothy, which I was ridiculously excited about and really delivered. I then went for a wander, visited the pier, and watched Ibibio Sound Machine before Four Tet at Pangea - which was an unexpected highlight - and a  superb Hot Chip set.

Sunday, I wandered round the theatre and circus bit, visited the Insect Circus Museum, which was even better than I remembered, saw a quick bit of Hollie Cook and a sparsely attended Avi Buffalo set and a bit of the Hackney Colliery Band before trying for Kylie but leaving because of how crazily busy it was. I had a pleasant sit down watching This is the Kit, then ended up meeting a couple of friends who were watching The Fat White Family and The Good, the Bad and the Queen (I didn't love either but both were watchable). I then saw Albert Hammond, which was another unexpected highlight and, having dragged my friend to Hot Chip the following day, went with his choice of Sunday headliner, which was the Cure. (I'd have gone for Janelle Monae or Christine & The Queens but was quite happy with the Cure and they were more than decent).

I've not got a lot of things I haven't seen I need to catch up on on Iplayer...

1 hour ago, Maesknoll Red said:

If you want to see a shit tip after a festival, look no further than Reading, it’s an absolute disgrace.

Which doesn’t get anywhere near the abuse because it’s not got a liberal/left wing theme attached to it to attack! 

Still feeling pretty cloudy in head from all the booze, heat and lack of sleep. Back in work tomorrow :(

great time as always but don’t think I will remember it as a classic compared to some previous years. Heat made the first few days pretty hard work but still better than rain. 

Saw quite a lot of bands/sets but not too many really memorable ones. Idles on Friday at park prob the highlight. First time I have seen them live and they were phenomenal. 

Had a pretty decent Sunday run of Kylie , bootleg Beatles, vampire weekend and the Cure (incredible sound quality), which was a good finish. Saw a guy called John fairhurst play a tiny beer tent in the park around 1ish which was amazing. Sounded like Hendrix. Quick boogie under the crane after to finish.

biggest dissapointment of weekend.... Lauryn Hill... what was that? If anyone is thinking of buying downs festival tickets to see her I would think twice. 

On 01/07/2019 at 11:39, Undy English said:

There was a very noticeable decrease in tents being left behind this year, and waste in general. Hopefully people are starting to get the message. Some festival goers are so wasteful to the point where I don’t think I’ve bought a camping chair in years as so many were left behind.

Now we need to see if this trend keeps going at other festivals this summer such as Reading and Boomtown

On 01/07/2019 at 07:57, Stortz said:

Think his hand movements and positioning are a dead giveaway as to his weapon of choice, hahaha

Archived