IGNORED

Glastonbury, poster just announced with more artists

RedM

13 hours ago, LondonBristolian said:

Someone I know took a picture of the field we camped in after they left today. Where is this litter you speak of?

C3E43420-3E7A-4E39-8E39-52561D74C6E8.jpeg.3c5fcc29cd338d9d8be6a1ae535e03f1.jpeg

See Emily Eavis’ twitter post in @TomF‘s  post above. Don’t get me wrong - it is deeply depressing that some people cannot put their litter in bins at a festival with a ridiculous number of bins but the site is way clearer than most years and you have made yourself look rather silly with an inaccurate post about something you clearly knew nothing about.

So why even post it at all?

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/9408712/glastonbury-fans-festival-site-leaving-plastic-bottles/

43 minutes ago, Undy English said:

I was there so I know full well what the site looked like. The fact that your post was based off a newspaper article making selective use of photographs undermines rather than strengthens your point. 

The ironic thing about the disposed plastic is that it would've been used for 5 days as it couldn't have been purchased on site. The issue that people were trying to avoid as single use plastics. 

British media/society is odd. I don't understand why we have to find a fault in every single good event that happens. Why can't we appreciate/praise an event which has done a lot politically and socially for the past 50 years. 

People are so desperate to criticise Glasto and it's goers it's actually brilliant. More fool them, the less people trying for tickets the better imo. If you're going to selectively ignore all of the good stuff Glasto does in favour of some litter being left on the main stage (which happens at every festival on the planet) then sorry to say it but you're clearly thick as ****.

This was my 5th and my favourite ever. Possibly the best 5 days I've ever had in my life. What a bloody weekend. Although my brain keeps firing and I've had next to no sleep... but it's so worth it. Every single time.

The only slight disappointment was Liam Gallagher for me, but the massive highlights were definitely Tame Impala, and the moment that Johnny Marr walked on with The Killers. Genuine goosebumps even thinking back now.

Roll on 2020 and dare I say it... Fleetwood Mac?

7 minutes ago, Undy English said:

Ok so the photos were lying.

The photos were selective.

Here is what I genuinely find weird and frankly indicative of a lot of the problems with British society at the moment. It is clear from your posts you are no fool and you're obviously a reasonably sensible person. You have posted an opinion based on a newspaper article of an event you were not at, which is fair enough. However, by my count, eight posters who actually were at the festival, have now explained why the article isn't really accurate or fair. Rather than holding your hands up and saying "well, maybe I got it wrong", you seem absolutely determined to dig in and insist you have a better idea of what happened at an event you did not attend than the people who did attend it. What you are doing is the exact same thing people do when they dismiss football fans as hooligans based on a few selective bits of behaviour and don't bother to listen to people who actually go to games. It makes you look stubborn, bloody-minded and absolutely ridiculous.

To recap:

• Despite your assertion that people left litter "everywhere", it was confined to a few selected areas where the main acts played.
  • Despite your assertion that people left litter "everywhere", the litter this year is much better than previous years, as attested to by a number of posters.
  • "Despite your assertion that people left litter "everywhere", the litter is no different to what you would get at the end of any other festival or largescale event. Have you ever looked around Ashton Gate at the end of game? Glasses left on sides around the bar, cups and wrappers left under seats etc? It happens.
  • Despite your assertion that people left litter "everywhere", Emily Eavis posted a picture on Tuesday showing the farm being largely clear of rubbish.
  • Despite your assertion that people left litter "everywhere", I posted a picture of the field where I camped, which is now completely clear.
  • Despite your frankly bizarre claim that the people who left litter were "eco-warriors", the sections of the festival where you get "eco-warriors" are Avalon. the Green Futures, the Healing Field, the Sacred Space and the Greenpeace area. None of the photos are from those areas.

Your original post was wrong and that's okay. It's fine to be wrong and you could just hold your hands up and admit it. But instead you seem determined to maintain a passionate defence of your right to be completely wrong. And of course, you do have a right to be completely wrong if you want to. But nothing you say or post will change the fact your original post was inaccurate. And, even though it is far braver and smarter to admit you are wrong than insist on being right when the facts are against you, few people ever have the courage to admit they are wrong and instead dig down. So you end up in a situation like this, where someone who wasn't at an event tries to lecture people who were, even though the people who were there know full well what they saw.

The more you dig in here, the less smart you are going to look. It's fine to get it wrong so why not just accept that you have done so?

23 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

Interesting that the Sun accidentally managed to post a picture showing clearly that the entire site was not "littered with plastic bottles".

The empty fields and scorched grass show the aftermath of the festival

I think what is even more remarkable is that they have posted a picture captioned "Multiple tents have been left behind by festival-goers as the event comes to a close" on an article that is timestamped 8:43am on Monday morning, despite the fact that people do not have to leave until 5pm. Either they are psychic or, far more likely, making it up...

17 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

I think what is even more remarkable is that they have posted a picture captioned "Multiple tents have been left behind by festival-goers as the event comes to a close" on an article that is timestamped 8:43am on Monday morning, despite the fact that people do not have to leave until 5pm. Either they are psychic or, far more likely, making it up...

Hypocritical eco-warriors using tents!!  If they really wanted to save the planet then every single one of the 200,000 would have slept under the stars!

2 hours ago, LondonBristolian said:

The photos were selective.

Here is what I genuinely find weird and frankly indicative of a lot of the problems with British society at the moment. It is clear from your posts you are no fool and you're obviously a reasonably sensible person. You have posted an opinion based on a newspaper article of an event you were not at, which is fair enough. However, by my count, eight posters who actually were at the festival, have now explained why the article isn't really accurate or fair. Rather than holding your hands up and saying "well, maybe I got it wrong", you seem absolutely determined to dig in and insist you have a better idea of what happened at an event you did not attend than the people who did attend it. What you are doing is the exact same thing people do when they dismiss football fans as hooligans based on a few selective bits of behaviour and don't bother to listen to people who actually go to games. It makes you look stubborn, bloody-minded and absolutely ridiculous.

To recap:

• Despite your assertion that people left litter "everywhere", it was confined to a few selected areas where the main acts played.
  • Despite your assertion that people left litter "everywhere", the litter this year is much better than previous years, as attested to by a number of posters.
  • "Despite your assertion that people left litter "everywhere", the litter is no different to what you would get at the end of any other festival or largescale event. Have you ever looked around Ashton Gate at the end of game? Glasses left on sides around the bar, cups and wrappers left under seats etc? It happens.
  • Despite your assertion that people left litter "everywhere", Emily Eavis posted a picture on Tuesday showing the farm being largely clear of rubbish.
  • Despite your assertion that people left litter "everywhere", I posted a picture of the field where I camped, which is now completely clear.
  • Despite your frankly bizarre claim that the people who left litter were "eco-warriors", the sections of the festival where you get "eco-warriors" are Avalon. the Green Futures, the Healing Field, the Sacred Space and the Greenpeace area. None of the photos are from those areas.

Your original post was wrong and that's okay. It's fine to be wrong and you could just hold your hands up and admit it. But instead you seem determined to maintain a passionate defence of your right to be completely wrong. And of course, you do have a right to be completely wrong if you want to. But nothing you say or post will change the fact your original post was inaccurate. And, even though it is far braver and smarter to admit you are wrong than insist on being right when the facts are against you, few people ever have the courage to admit they are wrong and instead dig down. So you end up in a situation like this, where someone who wasn't at an event tries to lecture people who were, even though the people who were there know full well what they saw.

The more you dig in here, the less smart you are going to look. It's fine to get it wrong so why not just accept that you have done so?

I expected a nibble, but blimey, good essay.

4 hours ago, Coppello said:

British media/society is odd. I don't understand why we have to find a fault in every single good event that happens. Why can't we appreciate/praise an event which has done a lot politically and socially for the past 50 years. 

Because some people have such miserable lives that their only joy comes from shitting on those who are enjoying themselves.

5 minutes ago, BS2 Red said:

Because some people have such miserable lives that their only joy comes from shitting on those who are enjoying themselves.

Some people need to get a bag in and party at Shangri-La until 7am I reckon. Might cheer them up a bit. Mind you people having a good time doesn't sell newspapers.

9 minutes ago, nebristolred said:

So in short, you're not interested in the truth. Just whatever suits your pre-selected agenda. Says everything we need to know.

No agenda at all, I enjoy watching Glasto.

But I saw Attenborough on the Pyramid stage thanking people for not using plastic, everyone goes wild. 48 hours later the same people cheering Attenborough's words have left the Pyramid field littered top to bottom in plastic bottles. 

3 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Watched The Streets on Iplayer and they were brilliant, was like a sermon from Mike Skinner! Little Simz was pretty decent too.

Need to catch up on Janelle Monae's set as she is utterly fantastic. 

I honestly though The Streets were absolutely dreadful, why did Mike Skinner keep stopping every 20 seconds for no reason?

46 minutes ago, Undy English said:

But I saw Attenborough on the Pyramid stage thanking people for not using plastic, everyone goes wild. 48 hours later the same people cheering Attenborough's words have left the Pyramid field littered top to bottom in plastic bottles. 

There was hardly any plastic bottles, the noise was noticeably different this year. 

1 hour ago, Undy English said:

Except they hadn't. As you'd know if you actually went to the event rather than just absorb your opinions second-hand from the trash tabloids.

On 02/07/2019 at 18:42, winterbournered said:

Cracking weekend. 6th time I’ve been and one of the best atmospheres I’ve come across. Although I found the crowd  for Liam Gallagher and The Streets edgy. 

Stormzy was amazing and surprisingly enjoyed Kylie. Didn’t see as much as I wanted because of the heat and found myself seeking shade at The Spike Bar 

Found Pangea underwhelming and although Glastonbury-on-Sea has nice views not much else. But all in all a great weekend and had some great fun in the bars on Weds and Thurs night! 

Thursday night is always the best night for me. Everyone is so happy and up for it and there’s always loads of cool stuff going on. Generally I peak too soon then and then need to come home Sunday morning though!  

7 minutes ago, lenred said:

Thursday night is always the best night for me. Everyone is so happy and up for it and there’s always loads of cool stuff going on. Generally I peak too soon then and then need to come home Sunday morning though!  

Completely agree! I find that when it gets to the Friday I get a bit disappointed the music has started as it's the beginning of the end. We've had a traditional of going to the Brothers Bar by West Holts on the Thursday afternoon but the 7% cider is like rocket fuel. I went to Frank Turner's secret gig at Strummerville that evening and it was fantastic! 

15 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

Except they hadn't. As you'd know if you actually went to the event rather than just absorb your opinions second-hand from the trash tabloids.

So all the newspapers, news stations and video footage on BBC/ITV was falsified? 

I have friends part of the clean-up team who've uploaded photos of the field to social media. I'm assuming these photos are also falsified?

4 minutes ago, Undy English said:

So all the newspapers, news stations and video footage on BBC/ITV was falsified? 

I have friends part of the clean-up team who've uploaded photos of the field to social media. I'm assuming these photos are also falsified?

There was rubbish on the Pyramid. Of course there was, it's one of the biggest arenas in the country, playing bands every hour. It's going to happen at any gathering of any kind.

What was falsified is the claim that all of the campsites were ****holes, and also the fact that dozens of media outlets used photos of a messy Pyramid field that were quite clearly not from this year (it's incredibly easy to spot which year it's from).

51 minutes ago, Undy English said:

It was very subjective photos.   They literally took photos after the pyramid stage had emptied.   It wasn't perfect but it wasn't anywhere near as bad as the pictures portray. 

Pointless arguing as you clearly won't believe any of us who were there and been previous.

Look forward to you bashing the shit out of Leeds & Reading later in the year when its 100x worse. 

23 minutes ago, TomF said:

It was very subjective photos.   They literally took photos after the pyramid stage had emptied.   It wasn't perfect but it wasn't anywhere near as bad as the pictures portray. 

Pointless arguing as you clearly won't believe any of us who were there and been previous.

Look forward to you bashing the shit out of Leeds & Reading later in the year when its 100x worse. 

I have no issue with festivals. I enjoyed watching Glasto on TV & Leeds/Reading highlights on YouTube.

I only take issue with the hypocrisy of thousands at Glasto cheering Attenborough's words about saving the planet, then leave the very field they listened to his speech littered. I'm then told the media coverage of this was subjected/falsified, despite hard evidence pointing to the contrary. 

Clearly touched a nerve with many, so we'll leave it there.

Used to work on a vegetarian and vegan food stall at Glastonbury for several years,

X amount of work for a free ticket and food.

All food sourced.

All environmentally friendly.

Not for profit .. None of it.

Then the bearded one invited the Corporate mean (really fckn mean) fiddler to run the gig.

Quadrupled the pitch price to push people out who'd been there for decades.

If I went there now I'd leave a mess.

Glastonbury is not about being really environmentally friendly and ethical for over decade.

1 hour ago, TomF said:

The whole atmosphere of Reading is just atrocious. I had great fun there but the people there really are horrible little b*stards. At Glasto you can quite easily leave campsite furniture out and about, and there is a real community spirit of wanting to help each other and go out of your way to be friendly. Reading is basically the anti-Glasto, people stealing your camping chairs every two minutes and emptying out your cans from your bins in the hope of getting a drop of alcohol from them. Very, very strange.

Archived