Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

Sign in to follow this  
RedM

Glastonbury, poster just announced with more artists

1 hour ago, BS2 Red said:

I didn’t deny anything.

But you can’t deny that every single generation goes through the same thing. Young people like a type of music, old people hate it.

In 2049 Stormzy will be moaning that the new hot act is crap and music has gone downhill.

It's true that every generation does that, but, taking away what people like or dislike (and that often comes down to what's cool/peer pressure etc), the actual quality of the music has generally gone south. 

P. S. I doubt anyone will have heard of Stormzy in 2049.

I didn’t deny anything.

But you can’t deny that every single generation goes through the same thing. Young people like a type of music, old people hate it.

In 2049 Stormzy will be moaning that the new hot act is crap and music has gone downhill.

It's true that every generation does that, but, taking away what people like or dislike (and that often comes down to what's cool/peer pressure etc), the actual quality of the music has generally gone south. 

I didn’t deny anything.

• Like 1

I didn’t deny anything.

It will have to be ******* awful to be worse than him.

Each to his own though, as you say.

Edited by The Gasbuster

I didn’t deny anything.

Agree to a certain extent.

Not too many would claim that the Stones, The Who, The Beatles, Pink Floyd etc.. aren't any good.

24 minutes ago, The Gasbuster said:

Agree to a certain extent.

Not too many would claim that the Stones, The Who, The Beatles, Pink Floyd etc.. aren't any good.

Now? Sure most people would say they were good.

At the time those bands came out? Plenty of people would have hated them.

• Hmmm 1

The most punchable face in the whole history of rock has to be that Liam what'shisface bloke. So ******* good aren't you?..

yeah right.

I’m laid up at the moment after an op so have watched a lot of it so far.  Friday was fantastic, great mix of quality acts- Idles, Stormzy, Charlatans, Jon Hopkins, Maribou State, Tame Impala, Interpol, Cat Power.....so much good stuff. But today has been pretty bland so far from what I’ve seen....hopefully Chemical Bros, Hot Chip and Wu Tang Clan will save the day. Have to say that the coverage on BBC is amazing this year. Pretty much all the stages covered and all in HD which makes a huge difference. 

9 minutes ago, lenred said:

I’m laid up at the moment after an op so have watched a lot of it so far.  Friday was fantastic, great mix of quality acts- Idles, Stormzy, Charlatans, Jon Hopkins, Maribou State, Tame Impala, Interpol, Cat Power.....so much good stuff. But today has been pretty bland so far from what I’ve seen....hopefully Chemical Bros, Hot Chip and Wu Tang Clan will save the day. Have to say that the coverage on BBC is amazing this year. Pretty much all the stages covered and all in HD which makes a huge difference. 

BBC coverage way better than years gone by. Might be the heat but the crowds look a bit more sparse this year?

Idles were unbelievable last night. That set had everything, including Joe in tears at the end. 

Neneh Cherry and Foals I've enjoyed so far today. Can I stay up for Hot Chip? That is the question.

Oh, and the one song they played of Lizzo looked entertaining!

Chemical Brothers: melting faces since 1994. Amazing stuff, the visuals and intensity are off the chart.

All of the main stages seem to be produced to a far, far higher standard this year imo, especially the lighting.

@Kid in the Riot, I hadn't seen Idles before last night despite them being fellow Bristolians. They were absolutely fantastic. Emotional to watch tbh.

Edited by Stortz
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

BBC coverage way better than years gone by. Might be the heat but the crowds look a bit more sparse this year?

Idles were unbelievable last night. That set had everything, including Joe in tears at the end. 

Neneh Cherry and Foals I've enjoyed so far today. Can I stay up for Hot Chip? That is the question.

Oh, and the one song they played of Lizzo looked entertaining!

Yeah Lizzo looked great tbf - one of those ‘moments’. Idles were amazing - kicked the absolute shit out of it, really pleased for them. Huge crowd as well - The Park Stage is so so good. Foals I couldn’t really get into.  Thought they were a bit formulaic although I get that’s their style. Chemical Brothers are really good atm, brilliant visuals as well. Hot Chip will be ace - saw them at Trinity a couple of months ago and it was one of the best gigs I’ve seen for a good while. You can do it!  

• Like 1

Sat at home wishing I was there, although I would have given Stormzy a swerve last night, just not for me and he’s upset Skin from Skunk Anansie.......

A9AF01A6-D1FC-4F0B-A5EC-4383704BBF31.jpeg

4 minutes ago, Maesknoll Red said:

Sat at home wishing I was there, although I would have given Stormzy a swerve last night, just not for me and he’s upset Skin from Skunk Anansie.......

A9AF01A6-D1FC-4F0B-A5EC-4383704BBF31.jpeg

What is Skin on about? He said solo act. She doesn’t seem upset to be fair.

Killers are dire tonight. Hand to turn over to Hot Chip.

Got Lizzo’s album today. Very good 

7 minutes ago, RedDave said:

Originally he said black artist, I think that’s what prompted Skin’s intervention, maybe upset was the wrong word, it’s been a long day rounded off with a few beers, but she was driven to comment.

2 minutes ago, Maesknoll Red said:

Originally he said black artist, I think that’s what prompted Skin’s intervention, maybe upset was the wrong word, it’s been a long day rounded off with a few beers, but she was driven to comment.

Certain bands I miss and Skunk Anansie are definitely one of them. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, RedDave said:

Certain bands I miss and Skunk Anansie are definitely one of them. 

Playing the 02 Academy in Bristol in August.  Unfortunately (if you don't already have a ticket) the gig has sold out.

5 minutes ago, New Dazzler said:

Playing the 02 Academy in Bristol in August.  Unfortunately (if you don't already have a ticket) the gig has sold out.

Monday night unfortunately so couldn’t buy tickets. Work away a lot.

Used to go to a gig a week and now go to about two a year. Work and kids eh!

38 minutes ago, RedDave said:

Don’t think they were dire it’s just we have heard it all before and they haven’t made a decent tune in about 10 year 

Is Glastonbury dead,honest question because obviously people will continually go for the “experience”but last year you had Ed who stunk the gaff out on a Saturday and tonight you had the killers who have been there and done it,last year on the Sunday you had the foos who killed it this year the bloody cure,where is the talent nowadays 

5 minutes ago, joe jordans teeth said:

Is Glastonbury dead,honest question because obviously people will continually go for the “experience”but last year you had Ed who stunk the gaff out on a Saturday and tonight you had the killers who have been there and done it,last year on the Sunday you had the foos who killed it this year the bloody cure,where is the talent nowadays 

Unfortunately the pool of bands is indeed weaker than ever. Even just look back at the 90s and what we had. We’re still living off that to some degree. 

That said this year I’ve found more stuff away from the music main stages than ever before and absolute loved it.  However all said and done I do expect next year to be pretty special being the 50th anniversary. 

18 minutes ago, joe jordans teeth said:

Was thinking exactly the same thing. Maybe past its sell by date.

Setting aside chuckling at the irony of the  ‘no borders’ flag attached to the boundary fence - a structure that Trump himself would be proud of - it seems there is an almost endless stream of uninspiring music. 

Never given up before but watching what appears to be Timmy Mallet and  some old blokes dad dancing on the Park Stage while playing some ‘tunes’ has done it for me. 

Edited by Moor2Sea
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, TomF said:

But the chemicals. Holy **** what a set. 

I'd be a bit pissed off though if I'd spent hundreds of thousands of pounds on incredible graphics and some clown from Barry Island kept waving his giant flag in front of them.

26 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

I'd be a bit pissed off though if I'd spent hundreds of thousands of pounds on incredible graphics and some clown from Barry Island kept waving his giant flag in front of them.

Yep the only pisser from where I was stood. Thankfully there seems to be a lot less flag wankers this year.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, joe jordans teeth said:

Don’t think they were dire it’s just we have heard it all before and they haven’t made a decent tune in about 10 year 

Yeah it amazes me how people can STILL get so excited about Mr Brightside. Ditto Oasis's Don't Look Back In Anger. 

50 minutes ago, AshtonGreat said:

Yeah it amazes me how people can STILL get so excited about Mr Brightside. Ditto Oasis's Don't Look Back In Anger. 

It’s weird, I’d be happy to never hear Mr Brightside again, but if I went to see The Killers I’d feel cheated if they didn’t play it.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, BS2 Red said:

It’s weird, I’d be happy to never hear Mr Brightside again, but if I went to see The Killers I’d feel cheated if they didn’t play it.

Haha yeah guess you're right there! 

Got to love Marr's deadpan demeanour towards Brandon, no interaction at all. Bizarre of Neil Tennant to come on stage with big parka coat and buttoned up shirt, he must've been melting! Killers got better than longer the set.

Michael Eavis has the pick of bands and acts to play 50th anniversary Glastonbury next year and all those bands and acts are waiting for the phone to ring.

Apart from Love Cats, what else are The Cure going to play?!

12 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Holy shit. They've just brought the Pet Shop Boys out.

12 hours ago, Northern Red said:

And then Johnny Marr.

Let's hear it for the Pet Shop Boys.... 

Johnny Marr on guitar ….

& Jimmy Carr on …..  erm,  wot ?  Jimmy Carr on The Brush !  🤔 

1 hour ago, BanburyRed said:

Got to love Marr's deadpan demeanour towards Brandon, no interaction at all. Bizarre of Neil Tennant to come on stage with big parka coat and buttoned up shirt, he must've been melting! Killers got better than longer the set.

Michael Eavis has the pick of bands and acts to play 50th anniversary Glastonbury next year and all those bands and acts are waiting for the phone to ring.

The temps did drop massively last night - went from about 30 degrees at 3pm to 17 by 10pm. I wonder if PSB lined up for next year.. 

Can't decide if this is supreme ignorance or supreme trolling....

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, City Rocker said:

Well quite. 

If you asked me to write up a 90 minute set list for the Cure I'm not sure Love Cats would even feature. 

I was at this one. Over 3 hours and not a sniff of Love Cats

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/the-cure/1989/wembley-arena-london-england-1bd611d4.html

• Flames 1

1 hour ago, One Team In Keynsham said:

Can't decide if this is supreme ignorance or supreme trolling....

Just supreme ignorance chap, nothing more. Saw them in '97 i think @ Earls Court, couldn't tell you anything they did. Or since.

8 minutes ago, BanburyRed said:

Just supreme ignorance chap, nothing more. Saw them in '97 i think @ Earls Court, couldn't tell you anything they did. Or since.

Fair enough.

Friday I’m In Love is probably their most famous song, even more well known than Love Cats I’d imagine.

Kylie just nailed the teatime spot. Not sure I’ve ever been in a pyramid crowd that big - even the stones. 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Holy shit. They've just brought the Pet Shop Boys out.

Fantastic. I had no words!

35 minutes ago, AshtonGreat said:

Not a single act at Glastonbury has blown me away

If you were in the field of the other stage last night you’d have truly appreciated the chemical Brothers. It was incredible.

Also Lizzo on West holts. That was something very special. 

36 minutes ago, AshtonGreat said:

Not a single act at Glastonbury has blown me away

Not actually watched any of it yet, but just about to sit down and wait for Love Cats and other Cure classics.

2 minutes ago, just like watching brazil said:

Vampire weekend what utter tosh how are they on before the cure?

Well, at least they're not on after The Cure.

2 minutes ago, just like watching brazil said:

Sunday evening line up really is poor - so much so I’m back home and decontaminating myself in the bath.  I feel they’ve held back for next year which will be truly mega 

14 minutes ago, just like watching brazil said:

Not utter tosh if you like Vampire Weekend!