IGNORED

F1 2019/20 season thread

Dollymarie

Ok it’s only the first qualifying and he’ll probably get wiped out on the opening lap tomorrow, but YAY for Bristolian Lando Norris in qualifying earlier today. 

I’ve lost a bit of love for F1 in recent seasons, and won’t be getting up at silly o clock tomorrow to watch it live, but will be watching it first thing and avoiding social media until then. 

I know there are a few of us on here who watch it, and so hence the reason for this thread. 

I was all hyped up, first race is so exciting as you don't know where the teams are at with their development.

Mercedes 0.7 faster than Ferrari

Really disappointing. I hope it's not their race pace. 

I guess we hope there's safety cars and massive tactical errors and rain again to make the races exciting until Ferrari/Red Bull get their act together if it is!

13 minutes ago, Prinny said:

I was all hyped up, first race is so exciting as you don't know where the teams are at with their development.

Mercedes 0.7 faster than Ferrari

Really disappointing. I hope it's not their race pace. 

I guess we hope there's safety cars and massive tactical errors and rain again to make the races exciting until Ferrari/Red Bull get their act together if it is!

Got to remember it was the same in quali last season. 

But Ferrari always make out they are better than they are in testing whilst Mercedes always sand bag. 

Great drive by Lando Norris, looking forward to following his career closely.

I feel sorry for Kubica clipping the wall and getting a puncture. 

The midfield battle is really intense and I look forward to watching all that unfold.

I might give it a watch, just for Lando really, as I too have fell out of love with it and no longer wake up in the early hours to watch a race. Too boring and a predictable procession on the whole with races uncompetitive in the main. Tv coverage has been a mess for a few years too since it’s gone from widely available to just another paid for option, and I won’t pay for Sky. Just a few years ago I would never have missed a race. 

12 hours ago, RedM said:

I might give it a watch, just for Lando really, as I too have fell out of love with it and no longer wake up in the early hours to watch a race. Too boring and a predictable procession on the whole with races uncompetitive in the main. Tv coverage has been a mess for a few years too since it’s gone from widely available to just another paid for option, and I won’t pay for Sky. Just a few years ago I would never have missed a race. 

Sky are currently running a deal where Sky F1 is £10 a month. I think that is exceptional value for exceptional coverage. 

Normally I'd be super pissed off when Lewis doesn't win, but how can I feel like that when Bottas is such a likeable guy? 

It's a big season for him as if he doesn't improve then Ocon will take his seat and once he leaves Mercedes I struggle to see where he will get a drive. So this season is massive for him so I am slightly pleased he won today.

Delighted to see a Honda engine get on the podium for the 1st time in the hybrid era. Despite switching engines Red Bull have maintained their position. Honda will keep on going until they have a championship winning engine. McLaren may be regretting their decision to change to a unreliable engine in Renault. What Danny Ric was thinking by switching to them I don't know. I would like to think he moved in order to later on get a move to Ferrari/Mercedes knowing he wouldn't get a move to them directly from Redbull.

Ferrari were terribly bad.

2 hours ago, Maesknoll Red said:

Glad to see the petulant brat beaten by his team mate and I was pleased to Max come in 3rd, no doubt he is a future world champion.

Your happy Max came 3rd yet he is a million times for petulant than Lewis ever has been? Max is the biggest brat there ever has been in F1. Sounds a bit contradicting to me.

It often surprises me the hate that LH gets. For years and years F1 was dominated by Schumacher and Vettel, I would actually fall asleep during those races, it wasn't competitive at all like it is these days. The English always moan about how poor we are at sports yet when we do do well we moan about that too? We actually love to hate our English sports stars it seems. 

45 minutes ago, Dollymarie said:

I detest Lewis’s petulance when he isn’t winning, I half expect him to just drive the car back to the pits and stop racing.

I think all drivers can be stroppy bastards when they don't win, they are all winners after all. Vettel, Danny Ric and Max take losing particularly bad. 

But Lewis has matured immensely over the last few years. Watch his post race interview from today and you will see what I mean. No throwing dummies out of the pram, no blaming others or the team, instead he actually praises the team for a job well done as for Mercedes it's been a perfect weekend.

I think Lewis has matured enough to know that it was his bad start that lost him the race and he knows he has to improve on that as that's been a flaw of his for a while. 

4 minutes ago, Up The City! said:

Your happy Max came 3rd yet he is a million times for petulant than Lewis ever has been? Max is the biggest brat there ever has been in F1. Sounds a bit contradicting to me.

It often surprises me the hate that LH gets. For years and years F1 was dominated by Schumacher and Vettel, I would actually fall asleep during those races, it wasn't competitive at all like it is these days. The English always moan about how poor we are at sports yet when we do do well we moan about that too? We actually love to hate our English sports stars it seems. 

I think all drivers can be stroppy bastards when they don't win, they are all winners after all. Vettel, Danny Ric and Max take losing particularly bad. 

But Lewis has matured immensely over the last few years. Watch his post race interview from today and you will see what I mean. No throwing dummies out of the pram, no blaming others or the team, instead he actually praises the team for a job well done as for Mercedes it's been a perfect weekend.

I think Lewis has matured enough to know that it was his bad start that lost him the race and he knows he has to improve on that as that's been a flaw of his for a while. 

I was on more about his radio clips from during the race. On the verge of “what’s the point in carrying on if I’m so slow”

• Admin
6 hours ago, Up The City! said:

Defend him as much as you like, in my opinion he is a petulant, arrogant cock.  I have witnessed his behaviour at the track on several occasions and it certainly hasn’t endeared him to me.

8 hours ago, Bristol Rob said:

It's all about the BTCC for me. Still watch the F1, but it is such a dull follow these days.

Me too. I’ve  been watching the WRC too which I like. (Ott Tänak is my driver in that). The difference in temperature and conditions between Sweden (ice and snow) and Mexico (hot and dusty) just a couple of weeks later was a real challenge.

It's come to light that Lewis suffered floor damage to his car in quali. The team attempted to patch it up but that didn't work. Lewis was seen examining the damage after the race.

Whilst it doesn't fully explain the 20 second gap it's worth noting that Lewis knowing he couldn't challenge due to the damage turned the engine down (only 3 engines allowed a season) and looked after his tyres. 

Archived