IGNORED

First time at the Gate in 2 years.

Bristol is red

Ipswich was the first time I've been to the Gate in nearly 2 years, mostly due to work and financial constraints.  I've been one of those consigned to watching streams when available.  What a superb stadium we now have, looks very impressive from the out side with far better offerings, didn't expect there to being a band playing out side but thought that was neat.

It looked just as good inside the stadium. Light, spacious and open, brought some food from the kiosk, much better offering than before and much better quality too, quickly served aswell, all round a massive improvement from when I last attended. I was seated in the middle of the upper Lansdown which provided a great view of the game, considering how high we were, the stand was steep so we weren't too far from the pitch, if that makes sense.  Got a real sense of just how big the stadium is now with both the Dolman (done a super job renovating it) and south stand looking very tidy too.

Acoustically, again very good job, sound seems to travel so much better now, could clearly hear what was been sung ftom the corner of the south stand and it still sounded fairly loud too.  Far car from before where sometimes you wouldn't know the other stand was singing, such was how poor in carried across.

It was my partner's first ever football game and she thoroughly enjoy the ground and the experience. We may have a new red on board! We're already planning our next game so well done City, most impressed! (If a lot later than the rest of you seeing it).

20 minutes ago, Bristol is red said:

Ipswich was the first time I've been to the Gate in nearly 2 years, mostly due to work and financial constraints.  I've been one of those consigned to watching streams when available.  What a superb stadium we now have, looks very impressive from the out side with far better offerings, didn't expect there to being a band playing out side but thought that was neat.

It looked just as good inside the stadium. Light, spacious and open, brought some food from the kiosk, much better offering than before and much better quality too, quickly served aswell, all round a massive improvement from when I last attended. I was seated in the middle of the upper Lansdown which provided a great view of the game, considering how high we were, the stand was steep so we weren't too far from the pitch, if that makes sense.  Got a real sense of just how big the stadium is now with both the Dolman (done a super job renovating it) and south stand looking very tidy too.

Acoustically, again very good job, sound seems to travel so much better now, could clearly hear what was been sung ftom the corner of the south stand and it still sounded fairly loud too.  Far car from before where sometimes you wouldn't know the other stand was singing, such was how poor in carried across.

It was my partner's first ever football game and she thoroughly enjoy the ground and the experience. We may have a new red on board! We're already planning our next game so well done City, most impressed! (If a lot later than the rest of you seeing it).

Shame the game let you down, now imagine if we'd won! it does look impressive now doesn't it, if only we could get the Atyeo done now.

Good post. I too recently attended my first games at the newly renovated AG and indeed my first visit for at least 10 yrs (Birmingham and Leeds matches). The stadium is very impressive and I cant add much more to what the poster has said, except to say that nothing much has changed on the pitch......same old sh*t. Rushed passes, basic defensive errors, no creativity and a CF who huffs and puffs a lot without much end product....oh and good to see we still have the habit of losing big games at home.

Still not to be deterred I will make the 2 hour journey from home next season on a regular basis.

Off to watch Swansea vs Man City this afternoon...should be a few goals to see.

11 minutes ago, Up The City! said:

These days whatever the result is I always enjoy the match day experience. 

I often bump into away fans and have a chat with them and they are always impressed by the stadium and all of them say it is a premier League stadium.

Yep. Got talking to some Leeds fans after the recent game and they said a) we had been some of the best opposition they had played this season and we should scrape into the play-offs and b) they were very impressed with the redeveloped AG (1st visit for two of them) which they said was definitely up to PL standard and actually better than the home grounds of some clubs in the current PL. 

23 minutes ago, pillred said:

Shame the game let you down, now imagine if we'd won! it does look impressive now doesn't it, if only we could get the Atyeo done now.

Yes, the Atyeo does stand out now as looking a bit dated only because of the rest looking so modern.  Hopefully in time!

Forgot to mention the silly Ipswich fan (I persume) getting himself kicked out for cheering when they scored.  Can't fathom why he was in the upper Lansdown rather than with his own?

10 minutes ago, AshtonPark said:

@Robbored do you think you might need hearing aids? Someone in the sky’s of the lansdown can hear songs being sung but you are sat in deadly silence every game!

That’s because sound will carry upwards.

The one time I was in the Upper Lansdown against Brum season before last I could clearly hear both sets of fans. 

22 minutes ago, The Red Planet said:

Yep. Got talking to some Leeds fans after the recent game and they said a) we had been some of the best opposition they had played this season and we should scrape into the play-offs and b) they were very impressed with the redeveloped AG (1st visit for two of them) which they said was definitely up to PL standard and actually better than the home grounds of some clubs in the current PL. 

What? Two of them buggers got in the home end? Never! ?

27 minutes ago, The Red Planet said:

Yada, yada, yada. Get straight to the point. Did they say that they like us or the Rovers best?

5 hours ago, Up The City! said:

These days whatever the result is I always enjoy the match day experience. 

I often bump into away fans and have a chat with them and they are always impressed by the stadium and all of them say it is a premier League stadium.

Agreed. It’s a place we can be proud to call “home” I’m always a little surprised at first, when you hear the likes of Villa, Wolves, Sheffield clubs, Forest, Sunderland etc etc remarking (unprompted) about how impressive the stadium is. 

Other griunds are obviously bigger, but ours must be one of the highest quality grounds in the country. 

You’d expect new/rebuilt premier league grounds to top ours, but there aren’t that many that I can think of. 

It's alright but I think the owners/designers have played safe with the design using fairly conventional materials when they could have gone a bit 'avant-garde' and created something iconic using something like tensile fabric structures:

Fabric structures are tensile structures in which a membrane is 'stretched' to form a three-dimensional surface that can be used to create a roof, shading, or decorative component. 
Typically, the membrane is formed by a structural fabric, consisting of a woven base cloth, coated on both sides, and held in position by tension forces imposed by a structural framework or a cabling system. Unlike conventional roofing systems, fabric structures can cover very large areas with no supporting columns. This makes them particularly suitable for buildings such as sports faculties, auditoriums, shopping centres, transport interchanges, and so on.

7 minutes ago, bristolmoose said:

It's alright but I think the owners/designers have played safe with the design using fairly conventional materials when they could have gone a bit 'avant-garde' and created something iconic using something like tensile fabric structures:

Fabric structures are tensile structures in which a membrane is 'stretched' to form a three-dimensional surface that can be used to create a roof, shading, or decorative component. 
Typically, the membrane is formed by a structural fabric, consisting of a woven base cloth, coated on both sides, and held in position by tension forces imposed by a structural framework or a cabling system. Unlike conventional roofing systems, fabric structures can cover very large areas with no supporting columns. This makes them particularly suitable for buildings such as sports faculties, auditoriums, shopping centres, transport interchanges, and so on.

To go with all of the other avant- garden buildings which are so plentiful on the Bristol skyline and which are evidently so popular with the Council planning committee. 

5 hours ago, Rudolf Hucker said:

Yada, yada, yada. Get straight to the point. Did they say that they like us or the Rovers best?

Rovers were not mentioned. Why would they be ? Even though Leeds don't have a another League club in their city, they must be well aware that there is only one team in Bristol 

1 hour ago, bristolmoose said:

You thinking something like this? 

I like it. Contemporary. Stylish. State-of-the-art. 

brist_away_end.jpg

8 hours ago, The Red Planet said:

Yep. Got talking to some Leeds fans after the recent game and they said a) we had been some of the best opposition they had played this season and we should scrape into the play-offs 

Think they might have been extracting the urine mate!

11 hours ago, The Red Planet said:

Yep. Got talking to some Leeds fans after the recent game and they said ... they were very impressed with the redeveloped AG (1st visit for two of them) which they said was definitely up to PL standard and actually better than the home grounds of some clubs in the current PL. 

How would they know? Leeds haven’t been in the PL for 15 years!

10 hours ago, bristolmoose said:

That’s it! Exactly what I was thinking. Where is that beauty? Japan? Middle East?

Well let's just say it's not too far from a certain high-profile World Cup bid a few years back. Can't go into any more detail, but I think that tells you all you need to know.

Archived