IGNORED

Another hypothetical question

Robbored

4 minutes ago, Robbored said:

So was LJ in his first season in charge.......

LJ’s seasons have all been in the Championship. Even if SOD had kept us up in League One, I’m not convinced he would have got us promoted as quickly - and certainly not as emphatically - as SC.

I think the telling thing about sod is that hes barely worked in club football since, he had a few months coachjng at liverpool, but no one has gone for him in a head coach role since he left us as far as i know. Hes from the old school, and his time has passed.

I think it was too late in his career, he tailed off massively at Doncaster IIRC then failed at Forest and then failed here.

What he did for a decade at Bournemouth and Doncaster was superb, but it's much harder when expectations rise, they start booing you when you're 6th...

Edit - I remember at the time I was really hyped for him coming. I thought he would transform us into a fun hard working mid table championship club.

2 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Of course.

When has LJ made a marquee signing?     :dunno:

He's not the gas manager you know.

Ok he's not had unlimited funds but, he's been backed by the owner more than any manager in our history, even taking inflation into account. Marquee signings, for us = Fammy, Baker, Webster and the money wasted on players not making an impact or, so say bought for the future and still to make an impression, is not a small figure either. It's how it's been spent not on whom. We could have invested in recruitment for finding younger players and not spunked out millions on nearly old/good enough players and instead spent on the first team. Just because other teams have spent more on strikers, doesn't mean he hasn't been well supported. Evidently we had deals agreed for top strikers as well, which would have been marquee signings. 

12 minutes ago, Rich said:

He's not the gas manager you know.

Ok he's not had unlimited funds but, he's been backed by the owner more than any manager in our history, even taking inflation into account. Marquee signings, for us = Fammy, Baker, Webster and the money wasted on players not making an impact or, so say bought for the future and still to make an impression, is not a small figure either. It's how it's been spent not on whom. We could have invested in recruitment for finding younger players and not spunked out millions on nearly old/good enough players and instead spent on the first team. Just because other teams have spent more on strikers, doesn't mean he hasn't been well supported. Evidently we had deals agreed for top strikers as well, which would have been marquee signings. 

Signing youngsters and developing them is a significant part of the strategy. Obviously history tells us that many don’t make the grade but how can anyone predict who makes the grade and those that won’t?

1 minute ago, Robbored said:

Hardly a marquee signing tho....

That’s because you’d never heard of him.  Plenty of us had though.  £5m+ don’t firget.  Tomlin was a marquee signing.

I think SOD might’ve been a useful DOF for Lee.  Good coach who understood value for money.  Would’ve made a good footballing middle-man, between LJ and MA.  

2 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Signing youngsters and developing them is a significant part of the strategy. Obviously history tells us that many don’t make the grade but how can anyone predict who makes the grade and those that won’t?

Being professional in ones assessment of players is prudent, I would have thought. It would seem that buying players, as opposed to scouting and picking them up for nothing is the route our club has taken and is yet to really bare any fruit, for that level of investment. Seems strange that very few of our relatively big money young signings have actually got anywhere near the first team. Those that did, went in as part of the squad virtually straight away, Patterson, O'Dowda, Brownhill, Elliason is one that is gradually breaking through, Walsh is one where the jury is out. The majority of those gamble signings seem nowhere near and in danger of being offloaded permanently.

57 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Of course.

When has LJ made a marquee signing?     :dunno:

Would we really want a striker from Doncaster though?  ?  (hmm, maybe!)

Joking aside am I alone on here who really dislikes the term 'marquee signing, footballer, etc' where the **** dud that description come from, wtf does it really mean?...How did it become normal to use such ridiculous terms in 'modern' football ?It's another bit of bull shit that should be confined to door to door vacuum salesmen's conferences.

What a load of shite some football supporters appear to willingly adopt nowadays …

Marquee signings, my f'ing arse, that term should mean graffiti 'taggers' at The Mem as far as I'm concerned..

I hate the term anyway, and those who use it get right up my sodding nose..

49 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

That’s because you’d never heard of him.  Plenty of us had though.  £5m+ don’t firget.

** Tomlin was a marquee signing.

I think SOD might’ve been a useful DOF for Lee.  Good coach who understood value for money.  Would’ve made a good footballing middle-man, between LJ and MA.    

** meaning as big as a tent, I presume? 

2 minutes ago, WhistleHappy said:

Would we really want a striker from Doncaster though?  ?  (hmm, maybe!)

Joking aside am I alone on here who really dislikes the term 'marquee signing, footballer, etc' where the **** dud that description come from, wtf does it really mean?...How did it become normal to use such ridiculous terms in 'modern' football ?It's another bit of bull shit that should be confined to door to door vacuum salesmen's conferences.

What a load of shite some football supporters appear to willingly adopt nowadays …

Marquee signings, my f'ing arse, that term should mean graffiti 'taggers' at The Mem as far as I'm concerned..

I hate the term anyway, and those who use it get right up my sodding nose..

Not my favourite term either but I used it to describe a ‘big and well known name’

Famara is our record signing at £5.3m - very little in terms of Championship signings.

Bottom line - that type of ‘big’ name comes with wage demands that City won’t match.

7 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Not my favourite term either but I used it to describe a ‘big and well known name’

Famara is our record signing at £5.3m - very little in terms of Championship signings.

Bottom line - that type of ‘big’ name comes with wage demands that City won’t match.

Interesting thought on wages given our wage bill is higher than the team now 2nd in our league 

Just wanted to remind the OP how he responded to my thread with “Hypothetical Question” in the title. 68824F20-EB7E-4901-AEDC-1C5A82095D0B.thumb.jpeg.b971dd0b7549325caf7c2a808f86fd74.jpeg

just as well most of us on here don’t employ double standards and respond to posts properly like I did a bit earlier. 

Robbo - perhaps have a 10 second pause before hitting copy and paste. You can post some decent stuff. Why not give it a go. Unless you are desperately seeking the attention to confirm the words under your forum name. 

11 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Just wanted to remind the OP how he responded to my thread with “Hypothetical Question” in the title. 68824F20-EB7E-4901-AEDC-1C5A82095D0B.thumb.jpeg.b971dd0b7549325caf7c2a808f86fd74.jpeg

just as well most of us on here don’t employ double standards and respond to posts properly like I did a bit earlier. 

Robbo - perhaps have a 10 second pause before hitting copy and paste. You can post some decent stuff. Why not give it a go. Unless you are desperately seeking the attention to confirm the words under your forum name. 

Spot on.

Kettle and black.

From our resident mental health professional.

Couldn’t make it up ?

Archived