IGNORED

Football cliches and modern terms that really bug you...

WhistleHappy

3 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

The hilarious ‘ Is this a library ? ‘ song .

Most who sing it wouldn’t bloody recognise a library if it had 3 mètre high flashing neon sign saying ‘ this is a library ‘ at the entrance.

Culture and football supporters.

:disapointed2se:

Although it will be strangely apt when Wally pulls the plug on the Fewers.

Funding cuts are seeing libraries closing all over the place.

“International standard” and “at this level” when referring to an international match.

Similarly, implying a player is better because he’s an international. E.g. “Why was Baker playing when had an international defender on the bench” when talking about Magnússon.

A plumber from San Marino can call himself an international. It’s not the highest standard of the game. Whether a player is an international or not says very little about their quality and a lot more about the country they’re from.

'Brings it under his spell"  "he has a good engine" "back stick" "the park", "'pulls the trigger" "custodian" and other similar bollocks commentators come up with. Not to mention "unlucky" when a highly paid premier league player misses an open goal my granny could scored. 

That's a penalty/free kick, whatever it is, "all day long".

Plus the use of "Redknapp" cockney, which is often used even by pundits and managers who are otherwise quite articulate (Glen Hoddle and a bright young English "Head Coach" plying his trade not a million miles from Ashton Gate!) Example:- "I thought we was poor in the 1st half, but if you was to ask me, I'd say we was deserving of a point"  

22 minutes ago, Gifford said:

The media bigging up a match between two sides that don't really have a rivalry by naming it after the motorway or A-Road between the two teams.

Love the "Dockyard Derby" between Plymouth and Portsmouth, presumably named due to the Navy connection.  The 2 cities are over 170 miles apart, that's about the same distance as between Bristol and Wigan!

2 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

The hilarious ‘ Is this a library ? ‘ song .

Most who sing it wouldn’t bloody recognise a library if it had 3 mètre high flashing neon sign saying ‘ this is a library ‘ at the entrance.

Culture and football supporters.

:disapointed2se:

Yes major, and your support is ******* shit. Especially coming from the likes of Birmingham who’s home support are mute 

3 hours ago, WhistleHappy said:

I've just mentioned one... 'marquee signing'  in another thread…. that's one that really grates on me.

Football is littered with cliché's nowadays, thanks, not least, to tv commentators and pundits....

Some of these must bug you too, which oft heard football related words, clichés  and descriptions get up your nose?

The park...

That's where I take the grandchildren when they're doing Mrs Bruce's head in!

he was entitled to go down…

I would’ve taken this at the start of the season…

We are punching above our weight…

If you'd offered me a point at half time, I would've bitten your hand off…

You have to respect (teams higher in the league)…

Archived