IGNORED

Football cliches and modern terms that really bug you...

WhistleHappy

“Busy bees.” Important as they are to all ecology, watch one fly into a window for twenty minutes and realise how it relates to a football player: “Runs a lot, but is a clueless fu*kwit.”

“Got our identity back” – if you need to identify yourself, it’s written on your god-damn shirt or “We have been sh*t lately, but today we played with something that resembled a pre-planned tactic.”

And my biggest hate: “Small margins” a margin is that blank border on the edge of a page, for margin to mean anything it has to state its context: Margin for error etc.

Another gem from commentators: "If he would have put it between the posts, it would have gone in." (really)

And American football terms: Quarterback role. Play-maker.

And a term used by someone on here: "Brexit football" If you think sovereignty is unimportant, well that's up to you, but to use it to describe what you feel is brainless football is mere projection of a lack of comprehension of the subject matter.

I have always found the term "Throwing the kitchen sink" funny 

When a losing team generally by one goal will press very high and go all out attack to attempt to salvage a point. 

"80 minutes on the clock Martin, Watford may have to think about throwing the kitchen sink at Bournemouth here if they are to steal a point"

Not a cliché or at all modern ….

One word that's ancient but probably 'newish' to most of us came to our attention during the The Gate redevelopment... Heard a lot in the footballing world in recent years due to all the new stadium builds.

It doesn't particularly bother me but apparently makes one Otiber feel sick to her stomach …

(don't look @Dollymarie) .  I give you - Vomitory!  

Fulham are 8 points from "safety" - meaning 8 points from the teams currently above the current relegation group.  "Safety" means the total number of points when a club is statistically safe from relegation.  

You wouldn't say Man City are now 2 points from Winning the league when they are two points from Leading  the league .

This seems to have crept into use over the last couple of years on Sky / BBC and is really irritating.

1 hour ago, WhistleHappy said:

Not a cliché or at all modern ….

One word that's ancient but probably 'newish' to most of us came to our attention during the The Gate redevelopment... Heard a lot in the footballing world in recent years due to all the new stadium builds.

It doesn't particularly bother me but apparently makes one Otiber feel sick to her stomach …

(don't look @Dollymarie) .  I give you - Vomitory!  

It’s a horrible word! People are not being sick out into the stadium (not regularly anyway) so another word needs to be adopted. 

4 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

‘ You don’t know what you’re doing ‘

sung by thousands of fans who probably know even less than the official or coach who’s on the receiving end of this chant.

’ Getting sacked in the morning ‘ 

Vitriolic verbal lynching and not original any more .

Beg to differ. Most refs don't apply the rules properly. 

Where in the rules does it say you can surround the referee after every decision, pretend to be injured, throw yourself to the floor, try to get opponents carded? I could go on. 

They are puppets of men in suits who have no interest in honest sport. So the refs can be quite fairly accused of running any given match outside of the rules. 

On 16/03/2019 at 21:22, mozo said:

"Asking Questions"

I hate it!!!

Attackers are ALWAYS asking questions of the defence. 

Really? Well what are these questions and what were the bloody answers?!

From the Portugal game...

And it's Joao Moutinho to ask the question...

What?! No! He took a free effing kick!

He didn't pass round a questionnaire. In fact, he didn't even have an inquisitive expression on his face ffs...

Tyldesley's: " A welcome return to Glen Hoddle....."

Which rapidly led to Hoddle spouting within an 8 minute spell:

"Sancho's too wide and needs to tuck in..."

( Goal )

"Sancho stayed wide which allowed Kane to find him..."

"Sancho needs to stay wide......"

"Goals" when used to describe the singluar structure at the end of the pitch protected by the Keeper, as in : "..a great shot at goals...keeper did well to protect his goals..."

Horrible Scottishism again much loved by Hoddle. We're it 'the Goals' we'd have Goalskeepers and Goalsmouths.

1 hour ago, elhombrecito said:

"<name of town/city currently in>'s a shithole, I wanna go home"

City fans are as guilty of this as anybody, but I absolutely hate this chant. Nobody is forcing you to stay if you hate it that much - feel free to bugger off home if you want to. 

you can't help where you're from. I'm not going to dis someone for that. They support their home club regardless, they could be supporting a big club instead.

Archived