Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

WhistleHappy

Football cliches and modern terms that really bug you...

6 minutes ago, Gifford said:

The media bigging up a match between two sides that don't really have a rivalry by naming it after the motorway or A-Road between the two teams.

the "Google Maps" derby :laugh:

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Gifford said:

The media bigging up a match between two sides that don't really have a rivalry by naming it after the motorway or A-Road between the two teams.

Love the "Dockyard Derby" between Plymouth and Portsmouth, presumably named due to the Navy connection.  The 2 cities are over 170 miles apart, that's about the same distance as between Bristol and Wigan!

• Like 1

Work ethic.

He gave 110%

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

“Goes to ground”......wtf does that mean?

The player was either fouled or fell over.......ffs............:disapointed2se:

2 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

The hilarious ‘ Is this a library ? ‘ song .

Most who sing it wouldn’t bloody recognise a library if it had 3 mètre high flashing neon sign saying ‘ this is a library ‘ at the entrance.

Culture and football supporters.

:disapointed2se:

Yes major, and your support is ******* shit. Especially coming from the likes of Birmingham who’s home support are mute 

3 hours ago, WhistleHappy said:

I've just mentioned one... 'marquee signing'  in another thread…. that's one that really grates on me.

Football is littered with cliché's nowadays, thanks, not least, to tv commentators and pundits....

Some of these must bug you too, which oft heard football related words, clichés  and descriptions get up your nose?

The park...

That's where I take the grandchildren when they're doing Mrs Bruce's head in!

• Aubergine 1

he was entitled to go down…

I would’ve taken this at the start of the season…

We are punching above our weight…

If you'd offered me a point at half time, I would've bitten your hand off…

You have to respect (teams higher in the league)…

• Like 1

For some reason saved by the post always bugged me. They weren't saved by the post Steve, the other team missed - the post didn't launch itself in the way. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Robbored said:

“Goes to ground”......wtf does that mean?

The player was either fouled or fell over.......ffs............:disapointed2se:

Player could've passed away and is in the process of being interred…. (unlikely granted, but possible)

• Like 1

Right out of the top drawer. Like a teaspoon or a pair of pants.

Edited by BanburyRed
  • Haha 2

“....(insert stadium name) is always a tough place to go...” - how can every away game be ‘a tough place to go’ for every manager who is interviewed....?! 

"Asking Questions"

I hate it!!!

Attackers are ALWAYS asking questions of the defence. 

Really? Well what are these questions and what were the bloody answers?!

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, mozo said:

"Asking Questions"

I hate it!!!

Attackers are ALWAYS asking questions of the defence. 

Really? Well what are these questions and what were the bloody answers?!

Billy Sharp to Mr. Jansson today

"This meaning of life stuff,  any ideas Pontus? What is it all about, or are we both just too intelligent to be just footballers?

Edited by AppyDAZE

12 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

“Apologies if any language you just heard has offended you...” - Sky commentators pandering to the poor petals at home....

It is a bit rich when you got bloody don goodman co comms,I swear when you hear F off and your shit it’s aimed at him and not the players on the pitch 

“He’s put in a good shift...” - he does not work in a factory...or a hospital....he’s just kicked a round thing about whilst jogging around on a field....disrespectful and shite....

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Leaning To One Side said:

Couldn't agree more Wade, for some reason this expression really does get on my f*cking t*ts :gaah:

Every ******* player uses it with those PR bullshit tweets. Speak like a normal person or don’t say anything, no one is finishing a game going “ooo, hope the boys tweet about this one” 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

“Two up top...”

It always was, and should be, two up front....

N.B. Mr Lee Johnson..... (all we are saying is Give Us Some Goals,  please)

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, The dastardly red said:

Referring to teams in the singular

Eg: "Chelsea is having a difficult season" 

Grammatically correct though....a football club is a single entity.....

• Thanks 1
  • Aubergine 1

4 hours ago, Redland said:

“the park"

That’s more of a Scottish thing I think, commentators up there use that term all the time because the vast majority of stadia in Scotland have the suffix ‘Park’ ......so Scottish guys down here also use the term when being ‘pundits’....

Edited by BS4 on Tour...

5 hours ago, Red Right Hand said:

Been around for years but I hate  `At the helm`.

Whoever it`s about is managing a football team not piloting a supertanker through the Suez Canal.

Nice one RRH.

in a similar way, reference being made to a “titanic” struggle for one of the teams playing in a match.

WTF has a ship that hit an iceberg and sank, got to do with a football match ?!

• Like 1
  • Unicorn 1

4 hours ago, Bainsey said:

'Between the lines' 

'Into the channel'

'Into the corridor of uncertainty'

Don't think I have ever heard "Into the corridor of uncertainty".Are you possibly confusing this with the time you holidayed in Thailand?

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Gifford said:

Haha ! Yeah.

Leeds v Watford must be an “M1 derby”.

4 hours ago, New Dazzler said:

That's a penalty/free kick, whatever it is, "all day long".

Plus the use of "Redknapp" cockney, which is often used even by pundits and managers who are otherwise quite articulate (Glen Hoddle and a bright young English "Head Coach" plying his trade not a million miles from Ashton Gate!) Example:- "I thought we was poor in the 1st half, but if you was to ask me, I'd say we was deserving of a point"  

A few also say “....against them teams...” or “.....them games are difficult” - utter shite use of our language! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Always makes me chuckle when a defender is “done” and it’s described as so and so has “come inside his man” 

Sorry. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, Robert the bruce said:

The park...

That's where I take the grandchildren when they're doing Mrs Bruce's head in!

Given your forum username, I’d have thought you’d have known that term justifiably emanates from North of the border due to the vast majority of their stadia having the suffix ‘Park’....

When a player brings someone down cynically for a yellow card, the commentator/summariser will say:

If it's a veteran..."he's used all his experience there"

If it's a youngster..."he's been a bit naive there"

Even if the challenges are identical.

• Haha 1

Once again, we apologise if you heard any strong language.....................**** off you annoying ***** !       You've just drawn attention to it , *** !   They ought to put a disclaimer at the front of the show, if they're so precious about such things .

• Like 1

"......time and time again" usually said by Alan Shearer. 

Or "...and he's on his bike"  usually said by Lee Dixon.

• Like 1

Young, reserve or returning from injury players who are described as "sniffing" around the first team. Sounds like they are puppies who are about to cock a leg and take a piss all over the manager.

players who are available to play who may have been out for a while who are said to have "handed their manager a selection headache". I don't know why but I have a hatred for that line.

Players who declare themselves fit.

When a smaller team beats a bigger team and yet the headlines the day after always have the bigger team named. I.E. If Man Utd win it's Man Utd hammer Fulham but if Man Utd lose it's "Man Utd have an off day at Fulham".

And finally, Fans who say "my club deserves success". Nope, If you've had success you deserved what you had but if it hasn't happened you obviously don't deserve it to happen just because. If your club has achieved **** all in over 70 or 80 years it doesn't mean you deserve European Football, an FA Cup final and a 20,000 all seater stadium given to you for free.

Edited by Midlands Robin

Pundits/Commentators condoning cheating by calling blatant diving after the slightest of touches  ‘Streetwise’

• Like 1

Transition - every one uses it now in analysis and LJ loves it - when we lose it is his go to word/excuse

“To slow in transition” - just say lacklustre / clueless / shite !!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, The Gasbuster said:

Nice one RRH.

in a similar way, reference being made to a “titanic” struggle for one of the teams playing in a match.

WTF has a ship that hit an iceberg and sank, got to do with a football match ?!

Titan, in Greek mythology, any of the children of Uranus (Heaven) and Gaea(Earth) and their descendants. According to Hesiod’s Theogony, there were 12 original Titans: the brothers Oceanus, Coeus, Crius, Hyperion, Iapetus, and Cronus and the sisters Thea, RheaThemisMnemosynePhoebe, and Tethys. At the instigation of Gaea the Titans rebelled against their father, who had shut them up in the underworld (Tartarus). Under the leadership of Cronus they deposed Uranus and set up Cronus as their ruler. But one of Cronus’ sons, Zeus, rebelled against his father, and a struggle then ensued between them in which most of the Titans sided with Cronus. Zeus and his brothers and sisters finally defeated the Titans after 10 years of fierce battles (the Titanomachia). The Titans were then hurled down by Zeus and imprisoned in a cavity beneath Tartarus.

Hesiod’s Works and Days preserves the idea of the Titans as the golden race, happy and long-lived. The notion developed further under the Romans—who identified Cronus with Saturn—into a golden age of peace and prosperity.

Titanic - like Titans. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1