IGNORED

2 from 7

Tinmans Love Child

12 hours ago, KeepUpLino said:

Seriously guys do you really think we’ve even got half a chance of the play offs? I’ll be happy to bet with any man who thinks we have half a chance... we haven’t the resources or the management to achieve it.. get over it!!!

Yeh you are right, what’s the point, might as well not bother going to the last 10 games, might even stop supporting altogether

15 hours ago, KeepUpLino said:

Seriously guys do you really think we’ve even got half a chance of the play offs? I’ll be happy to bet with any man who thinks we have half a chance... we haven’t the resources or the management to achieve it.. get over it!!!

What we have to remember is that this team is a team that got into 6th and had a chance to create some daylight.  They didn’t, and we are now playing catch-up in terms of position and number of games.  The trend is not encouraging, but I wouldn’t count us out.  We are aided in our positive thoughts by Boro and Derby’s slumps too.

It is gonna be very tough, points on the board very useful at this point...and we will see a lot about certain players mental toughness / weakness in the coming weeks....and the Head-Coach too.

Let’s see where we are after Wigan at home, we’ll have caught up one of our games in hand by then too.

Our slump in the last 5 games is the worst in the championship, producing just two points and no wins. Only Ipswich have failed to win in the last 5 games but did get 4 points.

A mini table over this period would show us as 24th, Bolton 23rd and Ipswich 22nd. 

Having watched our "performance" against Ipswich on Tuesday and Leeds v Sheff Utd yesterday the difference would suggest that we have little chance of anything but a move further South in the table.

I think that during our good run of results which propelled us to 5th we flattered to deceive, with generally single goal wins and mainly against lesser opposition.

It all comes down to confidence, tactics, luck, fitness, quality and hunger for success. Recent form suggests that we are lacking in a number of these areas. 

Regardless of what LJ says about us not being under pressure you can sense the weight of expectation on the players and the frustrations of our supporters, especially at home.

In order for us to be right up there we need to play at our absolute best, which some other clubs around us don’t necessarily have to worry about. We should be taking advantage when other teams drop points, but we play too defensively or desperately and fail more often than not.

When we went up in ‘76 the players and fans believed. I don’t feel that this season. It’s more hope than belief.

We got into a playoff position on merit, but then we tried to protect it like England trying to defend a one goal lead and you cannot be like that if you want to end up in the mix at the end of the season.

16 hours ago, 1960maaan said:

I've said before , I don't think we will make it. I still look at the games and think , if we can get something at Sheffield, and get some form back , and I think we are capable of beating M'boro , etc etc. 

I think we've proven that we can go away from home and get a result almost anywhere. Our away tactics and performances have been good.
It's the home tactics that need a drastic and quick rethink, in my book. Just not working.  

19 hours ago, joe jordans teeth said:

I was being optimistic,you being negative means we probably won’t pick up any points till end of season 

Predicting that we're going to struggle picking points up against anyone bar Wigan and Reading, was being positive?

We lost to a very poor Reading as well as Wigan mind.

I was only being provocative in my original post. I think we're better now than earlier in the season but still struggle when it's the more important games, as we don't create enough.

1 hour ago, jayjay said:

Our slump in the last 5 games is the worst in the championship, producing just two points and no wins. Only Ipswich have failed to win in the last 5 games but did get 4 points.

A mini table over this period would show us as 24th, Bolton 23rd and Ipswich 22nd. 

Having watched our "performance" against Ipswich on Tuesday and Leeds v Sheff Utd yesterday the difference would suggest that we have little chance of anything but a move further South in the table.

I think that during our good run of results which propelled us to 5th we flattered to deceive, with generally single goal wins and mainly against lesser opposition.

I  totally agree about our winning run. We were never totally dominating in games and usually scrapped in by the odd goal. I think those games were won because of our defence more than our attack. We've been sussed out now and need to change things around. One up top won't get us over the line IMO, and we are far too narrow in the back line. I would love to play as a winger against us. I'd have so much space and time. And I'm 70!!

6 minutes ago, marmite said:

I  totally agree about our winning run. We were never totally dominating in games and usually scrapped in by the odd goal. I think those games were won because of our defence more than our attack. We've been sussed out now and need to change things around. One up top won't get us over the line IMO, and we are far too narrow in the back line. I would love to play as a winger against us. I'd have so much space and time. And I'm 70!!

Our narrow defence is another reason I'd like to see use a central back 3. 
Beginning of the season I said of the "3 best players leaving" , that we had already got a better LB in Kelly, along with DaSilva . Given more time with LJ , they have both started to defend narrower. One criticism of Bryan was he gave wingers too much room, turns out it wasn't him, it was how LJ wanted to play that position. It's not going to change any time soon.

I get that playing a No.10 is to try and get support to Fam, while keeping it tight . Sadly we don't get support to FD, and we need a big change if we are going to win enough games to trouble 6th spot.

41 minutes ago, marmite said:

You can’t discredit our good form as “only scrapping results by the odd goal” yet ignore that we’ve only lost to 2 of the top 3 sides by the odd goal, during our dip to n form..! 

Ipswich was frustrating, but they’ve shown over the past week that they are capable of getting some respectable results, no that the pressure is all but gone. 

We didn’t impose ourselves enough Vs Brum, I agree. Preston was a decent point. 

People are talking like we have capitulated and that simply isn’t the case. 

Tough games coming up. I fully expect defeat at Bramell Lane, which will leaving us needing at least a point, probably all 3, at Boro, to remain within touching distance, although having got the games against the top 3 sides out of the way. 

We're still in a great position imo but there's no doubt the next two games are massive.  Sheffield United away is on paper the hardest of the final 10 and a defeat coupled with wins for the likes of Villa, Preston, Derby and Forest would see us a little way behind.  Then you've got the first of the "games in hand" against Middlesbrough on the Tuesday after, another tough game but another chance to beat a play off rival and a win would probably see us leapfrog them.

One of the best things about our situation is that we're always gonna have one extra game to play right the way til the final week of the season.  If we can stay in the hunt right up til that last week it'll be in our hands.

22 hours ago, Bar BS3 said:

BREAKING NEWS: Football results in final 10 games of season don’t always go with the form book - Shocker..! 

Anyone would think that this is the first time most of you had followed a football season..! 

If you can’t deal with “surprise” results, then you are probably following the wrong sport. 

Don't think anyone who follows football have been surprised by ours

Can't see us finishing any higher than 10th or 11th unfortunately. So many teams around us are in good form and we look like we've collapsed again at the crucial time. Looking at our remaining fixtures, I'd go so far as to say that playoffs are almost certainly out of the question.

A more realistic target might be to better last seasons finish.

1 hour ago, Wanderingred said:

Can't see us finishing any higher than 10th or 11th unfortunately. So many teams around us are in good form and we look like we've collapsed again at the crucial time. Looking at our remaining fixtures, I'd go so far as to say that playoffs are almost certainly out of the question.

A more realistic target might be to better last seasons finish.

Likely to need 75 points to get top 6. That’s 20 points needed. 

I think the corresponding fixtures from this season saw us take 9 points. Bizarrely, probably not getting points from some we’d be pinning our hopes on, whilst having won some from games we’d not have much hope for now. 

We basically need to win 7 of our remaining 10 games, although that could alter, depending on the results in some key “6 pointers” as they currently stand. 

Youd have to say it’s doubtful, but it’s certainly possible, at the moment. 

6 points from our next 3 games is almost vital, including not losing to Boro. 

4 hours ago, 1960maaan said:

Our narrow defence is another reason I'd like to see use a central back 3. 
Beginning of the season I said of the "3 best players leaving" , that we had already got a better LB in Kelly, along with DaSilva . Given more time with LJ , they have both started to defend narrower. One criticism of Bryan was he gave wingers too much room, turns out it wasn't him, it was how LJ wanted to play that position. It's not going to change any time soon.

I get that playing a No.10 is to try and get support to Fam, while keeping it tight . Sadly we don't get support to FD, and we need a big change if we are going to win enough games to trouble 6th spot.

Yep, we have defended narrow for quite a while now...initially to protect Flint and Baker, neither blessed by speed on the turn.  The thing is now with Kalas and Webster, we’ve not got to do that anymore.

Wolves I can understand, but all it does is drive your WMs deep and you end up 6 at the back.

Ditto Norwich, with their similar passing style to Wolves....it’s why we couldn’t “get out” second half.

Against all the other teams, even Leeds, we just haven’t played, but the Leeds goal came in a similar vain.

Not sure whether we can attribute everything to playing narrow, but along with Webster and Kalas’s pace, we also have Dasilva, Kelly and Hunt with pace (Pisano less so, Wright more than less so!)

We’ve just got to try and enjoy these next 10 games........20 points required me thinks for top six place which based on who we have left to play is a tall order!

Losing at home to Brum and drawing at home to Ipswich could cost us come the end of the season - I hope the boys prove me wrong ???

COYR’s

Archived