IGNORED

Underdog Mentality

Silvio Dante

Although it’s officially “still in our hands” due to the games in hand, I don’t think many observers or the Evening Post supercomputer will have us down currently as likely to make the playoffs.

Good.

What’s been noticeable is the moment we stopped “flying under the radar” and were expected to do things, we didn’t. The same thing happened last year after the media attention from the Manchester games. No doubt there were elements of LJ trying to be too clever and other managers paying us more respect (although, FWIW, I think every manager pays respect to every team), inherently, we ain’t good leaders. There isn’t that natural arrogance in the squad which when they are favourites makes them play as such and turn teams over.

In short, we’re better chasing. We’re better as underdogs. And that gives me a degree of hope that this could still be on. I’ll take being just outside the playoffs pre Millwall away and hitting them on that game and Hull - and, with this squads mentality, that may be the best route into the playoffs rather than clinging on for a month.

Well it’s the hope that kills you. And with Sheff U to beat us next, another bit will die. 

But yeh we probably have nothing to lose now and football can be a funny game. Don’t see us making it myself and tbh I’m just happy we are nowhere near trouble as after Millwall home I thought we might be. 

Thinks that’s what LJ is up to! Check out his team sheets for the last 7 games and which positions the players were in - then look at the subs, who they replaced and when they came on, every aspiring manager in the fan base can pick holes in his selections!

The only constant failure I can’t fault is starting Brownhill and Pack, there being no real alternatives - they are what they are - effing knackered! But still trying!

throw cautious out of the window and go for it, we have a few Young hungry and fit players! Give the a go in their best positions! it’s too late to be cautious

1 hour ago, Silvio Dante said:

Although it’s officially “still in our hands” due to the games in hand, I don’t think many observers or the Evening Post supercomputer will have us down currently as likely to make the playoffs.

Good.

What’s been noticeable is the moment we stopped “flying under the radar” and were expected to do things, we didn’t. The same thing happened last year after the media attention from the Manchester games. No doubt there were elements of LJ trying to be too clever and other managers paying us more respect (although, FWIW, I think every manager pays respect to every team), inherently, we ain’t good leaders. There isn’t that natural arrogance in the squad which when they are favourites makes them play as such and turn teams over.

In short, we’re better chasing. We’re better as underdogs. And that gives me a degree of hope that this could still be on. I’ll take being just outside the playoffs pre Millwall away and hitting them on that game and Hull - and, with this squads mentality, that may be the best route into the playoffs rather than clinging on for a month.

I mentioned this recently.  I’m an old fork and have seen a whole hell a lot of failure. However when we do well it’s from behind. Cue doing it from behind jokes. We have two weeks to kill so could be fun 

23 hours ago, dave36 said:

Thinks that’s what LJ is up to! Check out his team sheets for the last 7 games and which positions the players were in - then look at the subs, who they replaced and when they came on, every aspiring manager in the fan base can pick holes in his selections!

The only constant failure I can’t fault is starting Brownhill and Pack, there being no real alternatives - they are what they are - effing knackered! But still trying!

throw cautious out of the window and go for it, we have a few Young hungry and fit players! Give the a go in their best positions! it’s too late to be cautious

Dave - you know I love a spreadsheet.  Here are the last 6 league games, starting with our last win v QPR.  Green signifies no change from the last game.  

A3A4D0A8-478F-4548-A4F6-93A108E2D498.thumb.jpeg.a63cadc8a81462dfff7041e4db113e21.jpeg

any conclusions?

44 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Dave - you know I love a spreadsheet.  Here are the last 6 league games, starting with our last win v QPR.  Green signifies no change from the last game.  

A3A4D0A8-478F-4548-A4F6-93A108E2D498.thumb.jpeg.a63cadc8a81462dfff7041e4db113e21.jpeg

any conclusions?

4 keepers in 6 games...I think this is one of the reasons we've been a bit hesitant of late. Can't do your confidence any good with that in the back of your mind.

I think we should give some of our youngsters who are near the first team a game or 2 now. If they cant get into this side now, who look really tired, what chance will they have if and when we are under real pressure, i.e. last 4-5 games when we are in a must win situation ( although I don't think we will still be in it by then ).  Apart from Webster and Kalas, the rest are very inconsistent at the moment and a few fresh faces may just gee us up a bit.  What's happened to Morell,  Eisa,  Adelakun,.  Give them a few games if its only to give others a rest! 

5 minutes ago, marmite said:

I think we should give some of our youngsters who are near the first team a game or 2 now. If they cant get into this side now, who look really tired, what chance will they have if and when we are under real pressure, i.e. last 4-5 games when we are in a must win situation ( although I don't think we will still be in it by then ).  Apart from Webster and Kalas, the rest are very inconsistent at the moment and a few fresh faces may just gee us up a bit.  What's happened to Morell,  Eisa,  Adelakun,.  Give them a few games if its only to give others a rest! 

I would 100% like to see more of Morell, maybe even start a couple of games ahead of Brownhill 

Archived