IGNORED

Wolves Vs Man U . VAR a question

1960maaan

Now I had my ideas how VAR was supposed to work, in my head it was an assistant and not to make decisions. The Ref sent off a Utd player for a challenge, may have been a little harsh , but it's an opinion call. VAR gets involved , now I said to the Mrs that if they believe it was wrong, they get the Ref to look on the pitch side monitor and if he believes he made the wrong call he can change it. I thought the idea was that the game is Reffed by one man and just assisted by VAR. This time they said it was only a booking, after those in the video room looked at it several times, and the Ref changed his decision.

Anyone know if this is normal?

4 minutes ago, The Gasbuster said:

I think we all get fed up with seeing players getting in the ref’s face when a decision goes against them.

This scenario is just going to make it worse.

Indeed. It will open up the flood gates, next season will be a nightmare. Oh by the way how good were Wolves tonight?

10 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

Now I had my ideas how VAR was supposed to work, in my head it was an assistant and not to make decisions. The Ref sent off a Utd player for a challenge, may have been a little harsh , but it's an opinion call. VAR gets involved , now I said to the Mrs that if they believe it was wrong, they get the Ref to look on the pitch side monitor and if he believes he made the wrong call he can change it. I thought the idea was that the game is Reffed by one man and just assisted by VAR. This time they said it was only a booking, after those in the video room looked at it several times, and the Ref changed his decision.

Anyone know if this is normal?

VAR isn’t up to scratch,if the ref has made a decision and then is forced to watch it in slow mo where the cleanest of tackles can be made to look like a foul then the bloke doesn’t stand a chance in all honesty 

22 minutes ago, joe jordans teeth said:

VAR isn’t up to scratch,if the ref has made a decision and then is forced to watch it in slow mo where the cleanest of tackles can be made to look like a foul then the bloke doesn’t stand a chance in all honesty 

This is part of my point, he, the Ref , didn't get to look at it again. The guys in the little room surrounded by Tv's over ruled his decision, if he would have looked at it , at least there is consistency . As it was another guy, with differing opinions got to make the call.

18 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

This is part of my point, he, the Ref , didn't get to look at it again. The guys in the little room surrounded by Tv's over ruled his decision, if he would have looked at it , at least there is consistency . As it was another guy, with differing opinions got to make the call.

Usually if it's an obvious call, ie clear offside, foul etc he'll take their word for it. That tonight is an example of one that you'd expect him to check again himself. 

58 minutes ago, The Gasbuster said:

I think we all get fed up with seeing players getting in the ref’s face when a decision goes against them.

Not if harassing the ref gets you an automatic yellow it won't... 

I do think the var should be there as an aid for the ref (and maybe his assistants) to pause and take a second look at it, not to overrule the ref … his decisions should and must remain final. 

Some you win some you lose.. so be it.

2 hours ago, hodge said:

The other part being is a judgement call a 'clear and obvious' error?

Exactly this.

If how they are using VAR at present then football is well and truly gone, that decision with Lindelof tonight was absolutely ridiculous, some saw it as a red some didn’t, the Lino who was closest told the ref he saw it as red, Lindelof shown the red, then comes the farce, if as @hodge and FIFA/UEFA say it’s only to be used in ‘clear and obvious errors’ then how come it takes 2/3mins and watching 10 replays to come to a decision? May aswell just do away with the officials if that’s how it’s going to be used! Also anyone notice during the CL games that they seem to review VAR after every goal that is scored, seems to me that they are just looking for any infringement they can to disallow a goal so they can justify it? VAR can do one imo.

2 hours ago, joe jordans teeth said:

Because haven’t you heard football fans can’t behave themselves by all accounts while rugby fans are saints 

I dont think they are saints but fans can usually sit together without any fuss unlike football.

I think in rugby the ref has to ask for var assistance. Why sometimes there’s controversy when they don’t. 

If it can’t be used in all games in a competition it shouldn’t be used at all. Our game against wolves and the Swansea game just 2 off the top of my head.

6 hours ago, BCFC11 said:

Exactly this.

If how they are using VAR at present then football is well and truly gone, that decision with Lindelof tonight was absolutely ridiculous, some saw it as a red some didn’t, the Lino who was closest told the ref he saw it as red, Lindelof shown the red, then comes the farce, if as @hodge and FIFA/UEFA say it’s only to be used in ‘clear and obvious errors’ then how come it takes 2/3mins and watching 10 replays to come to a decision? May aswell just do away with the officials if that’s how it’s going to be used! Also anyone notice during the CL games that they seem to review VAR after every goal that is scored, seems to me that they are just looking for any infringement they can to disallow a goal so they can justify it? VAR can do one imo.

Was that the same linesman that had around 200 people from the wolves bench surround him? 

9 hours ago, The Gasbuster said:

Actually think it might help in that - the decision is checked ‘upstairs’ by someone else. Moaning at the ref isn’t going to impact the decision by VAR

1 hour ago, Murraysrightplum said:

Actually think it might help in that - the decision is checked ‘upstairs’ by someone else. Moaning at the ref isn’t going to impact the decision by VAR

I agree with what you are saying.

However, I meant that the players will be asking for VAR reviews most (if not all) the time.

VAR can be of benefit to football by exposing cheats ie diving, handball etcBut it has to be available to all unlike this years  FA cup which has only benefited premiership teams two who remain in the competition would be out if there had been a level playing field. We can’t have one rule for one and one for another. The governing bodies have to consistent but we all now that will only happen in our dreams 

1 hour ago, hertsexile said:

VAR can be of benefit to football by exposing cheats ie diving, handball etcBut it has to be available to all unlike this years  FA cup which has only benefited premiership teams two who remain in the competition would be out if there had been a level playing field. We can’t have one rule for one and one for another. The governing bodies have to consistent but we all now that will only happen in our dreams 

Said many times, VAR should be all or no one ! It's like saying certain rules only apply in certain games.

Yes VAR can be a benefit for the game, it has to be used quicker , and more evenly. Clear and obvious shouldn't take 15 viewings , if it does it's not clear and obvious FFS.  I thought the sending off was wrong, that said when shown the footage VAR would have seen I could see why the Ref thought it was worth a Red. Bizarre that they didn't get the Ref to look at his own decision.

1 hour ago, hertsexile said:

VAR could be a great weapon against "gamesmanship". I would love to see it used for that but only retrospectivly.

2 hours ago, Stortz said:

I'm with the Bayern fans on this one- inevitably they've been charged by UEFA.

I absolutely hate the way it's being used for the benefit of the TV viewers and to the detriment of those in the stadium.

Why would Bayern Munich fans write banners in English, not German...?! 

2 minutes ago, handsofclay said:

So they can get them past the German stewards and turnstile operators telling them it says Happy Birthday to My Mum in Rochdale.

I’m not a linguist but I’m pretty sure that the ‘f’ word is internationally understood!

Archived