IGNORED

Wolves Vs Man U . VAR a question

1960maaan

I watched a game this morning in the A League where they have VAR this season. (Wellington Phoenix Vs Western Sydney Wanderers) The Ref blew for a FK just outside the area, 2 players had tanged with eachother on the edge of the box and the attacking player fell to the floor and the defending player had his hand on his back, but not forcefully. The attacking player landed just inside the box. Free kick awarded and everyone happy, no real obvious appeals for a penalty.

The players were all ready to take the FK which took the best part of a minute to set up when the Ref got the signal that VAR was looking at the incident. He then was told to go and look at the screen. He looked several times and then awarded a penalty to everyone’s surprise. The penalty was then missed so maybe justice was done.

The commentators didn’t really know why the penalty was given so they slaughtered clarification. It was apparently because even though the offence had started just outside the box it had continued just inside so the penalty was awarded. This certainly was a soft pen and to me VAR had got it wrong, overturned a good decision. This had also taken the best part of 5 minutes to sort, which was added on, really broke up the flow of the game too.

So, why if an incident starts outside the box turns into a penalty as it finished up inside the box,  yet if an attacking player tangles with an opponent elsewhere on the pitch and the move goes on for a few yards the FK gets moved back to where it started not ended?

34 minutes ago, hodge said:

Highlights the stupidity, even if you've been in the premier league and therefore your ground is capable of using VAR you can't use it if you're not currently in the prem....

Farcical isn’t it. I’m still for everybody or nobody scheme, but I’m willing to give a little ground on this. I think if both teams playing eachother have VAR or the capacity to, like Swansea as mentioned it could be used. Yes Swansea might not be able to use it now but surely they still have the ability to, or could be easily switched on. So in the game where either side could have been at home and VAR used and both teams had it, it would be used.

But say ManU had played some lower league team where it had never been installed or likely to, say the Gas for example then VAR shouldn’t be used no matter who was home or away as it wasn’t in available for both teams.

Is this a fairer compromise?

Archived