IGNORED

Premier League - why?

DaveInSA

3 minutes ago, DaveF said:

Seeing some of the best players in the world at Ashton Gate?

The possibility of playing in Europe?

Never understand the concept of seeing the best players , i guess same reason i have little interest in champions league games .

Eg ppl clapping Aguero when we played Man C 

Unless there our stars of course 

Or:

VAR killing any atmosphere

Less home games

Being ripped off for parking, food, drinks etc

Us deciding we are now in a mini league and can only realistically beat 6 teams

Loads of Sunday and mostly Monday evening games as we will not be playing in Europe

Shipping in loads of Journeymen who want the cash but not the graft

Seeing loads of plastic fans in the home end who are really there to see Liverpool, Man U, Chelsea etc etc

2 minutes ago, Dullmoan Tone said:

Or:

Burnley qualifying for europe not something we could try to replicate then?

We don't have to sign journeymen, nothing to say we wouldn't stick to our transfer strategy just on a larger financial scale.

5 minutes ago, Dullmoan Tone said:

Or:

Less home games

Loads of Sunday and mostly Monday evening games as we will not be playing in Europe

Seeing loads of plastic fans in the home end who are really there to see Liverpool, Man U, Chelsea etc etc

Might as well give up then, if championship mediocrity’s the aim then we’ve made it. Probably best we only win a couple more games though to make sure we’re not in with a chance of going up

Doing a Wolves, would be incredible. 

Doing a Cardiff, would be decent. 

Doing a Fulham, would be a big anti climax, however expected it might be. Enjoy a few days out but getting stuffed every week would get a bit tiresome. 

8 minutes ago, NorwichbasedWurzel said:

Might as well give up then, if championship mediocrity’s the aim then we’ve made it. Probably best we only win a couple more games though to make sure we’re not in with a chance of going up

Maybe a lot of truth in that statement!

22 minutes ago, Dullmoan Tone said:

Or:

Less home games

Totally agree with your last sentence 

Should we reach the PL then the cash flow significantly increases. That means City signing better quality players in an effort to match the other PL lower teams.

I’d expect City to struggle and probably get relegated (as Burnley did) and bounce back up again (as Burnley did) with experience of life in the top flight who knows where that might take us after that?

I’d certainly like to find out!

2 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Should we reach the PL then the cash flow significantly increases. That means City signing better quality players in an effort to match the other PL lower teams.

I’d expect City to struggle and probably get relegated (as Burnley did) and bounce back up again (as Burnley did) with experience of life in the top flight who knows where that might take us after that?

I’d certainly like to find out!

Me too think I’d dread going to the games and watch most with hands in front my face but at least we’d get that non premiership monkey off our shoulders and it would be one hell of a ride.

50 minutes ago, DaveInSA said:

I’ve been thinking of a list of reasons why I’d want to see City in the Top Tier. In descending order:

1) Listening to Jonathan Pearce commentate on the team he loves every week.

2) Every week is a mini FA cup tie

3) Nothing else

4. Winning promotion from this division. Not to be sniffed at.

We've only managed this twice. 

It would be glorious to add another to this part of our "tradition." We'd be lording it over some big clubs (with obnoxious supporters).

39 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

Doing a Wolves, would be incredible. 

Doing a Cardiff, would be decent. 

Doing a Fulham, would be a big anti climax, however expected it might be. Enjoy a few days out but getting stuffed every week would get a bit tiresome. 

Yes, it wouldn’t be a lot of fun if it turned out like that but, my view is that I would accept it on the basis that we spend the proceeds carefully and grow the club.

We may become a yo-yo club for a few seasons but there would be a real opportunity to set the club up for real financial sustainability and also become stronger and more competitive.

4 minutes ago, ScottishRed said:

Yes, it wouldn’t be a lot of fun if it turned out like that but, my view is that I would accept it on the basis that we spend the proceeds carefully and grow the club.

We may become a yo-yo club for a few seasons but there would be a real opportunity to set the club up for real financial sustainability and also become stronger and more competitive.

Agreed. No problem being a yo-yo club for a few years would be good, as you grow. Maybe survive the first season, go down then then challenge again. 

It’s the only way to grow beyond where we are now. 

56 minutes ago, Dullmoan Tone said:

Or:

I'll bite, as an NFL follower.

The major issues are what rules make it necessary, the timing of the request from when an incident occurred, the amount of time the reviews take and the near-zero communication between the officials and the fans.

The last one needs resolving first. Get a stadium PA channel dedicated to the refs so they can state "x decision is under review", "the decision stands", "the decision is overturned" and what the overturn means. If existing game rules need modifying then table motions with the FA and FIFA, 

Shave 30 seconds off the time-related concerns then things get very smooth very quick. The World Cup showed this system does work, English football can follow up on that if it tries. Especially if it means certain referees can't deify themselves.

I think the Prem is full of money grabbing people and corrupt organisations that don't have the best interest of football at heart. However if we don't want to be part of it we might as well give up. Let's get on the rollercoaster and see what the ride's like.

1 minute ago, Bar BS3 said:

Agreed. No problem being a yo-yo club for a few years would be good, as you grow. Maybe survive the first season, go down then then challenge again. 

It’s the only way to grow beyond where we are now. 

Totally agree and I think most of us would accept that scenario.

There would be some good days and some bad days.

We just have to get there first.......

Great topic . I would be super proud to see us up against the best . The challenge would be to stay up and try to establish ourselves . Tbh I think OTIB would go into meltdown with all the possible changes the club would have to make !!

2 hours ago, Dullmoan Tone said:

Or:

Less home games

Speaking as a 35 year old who has the misfortune to support the biggest club left never to have played PL football, and having never seen us play top division football at all, I really don’t know why some of you bother.

For all it’s faults the Premier League is the pinnacle of the game in our country. There is nothing I’d like to see more than my team playing teams like United, Arsenal and Liverpool on a regular basis. And if Bournemouth, Watford, Brighton and Burnley can establish themselves there I see no reason why we couldn’t do the same.

If mid-table second tier is the limit of your aspiration, why even bother going anymore. We’ve seen everything this division has to offer and if a lost Championship play off final proves to be the high point of my football supporting life, I for one will be on my deathbed a bitterly disappointed man.

1 hour ago, Clevedon Red said:

Me too think I’d dread going to the games and watch most with hands in front my face but at least we’d get that non premiership monkey off our shoulders and it would be one hell of a ride.

I don't you'd ever match that moment of promotion…:city:

16 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Speaking as a 35 year old who has the misfortune to support the biggest club left never to have played PL football, and having never seen us play top division football at all, I really don’t know why some of you bother.

For all it’s faults the Premier League is the pinnacle of the game in our country. There is nothing I’d like to see more than my team playing teams like United, Arsenal and Liverpool on a regular basis. And if Bournemouth, Watford, Brighton and Burnley can establish themselves there I see no reason why we couldn’t do the same.

If mid-table second tier is the limit of your aspiration, why even bother going anymore. We’ve seen everything this division has to offer and if a lost Championship play off final proves to be the high point of my football supporting life, I for one will be on my deathbed a bitterly disappointed man.

Funnily enough, I have given up, if the Premier league is the ultimate prize then count me out. It’s boring, I don’t think I’ve seen a really good game all season. The money side has taken over from the football, footballers on obscene amounts of money, footballers with absolutely no loyalty to the clubs and fans they play for. I could go on. 

The same teams every season at the top of the league, the thrill of finishing fourth?, etc etc. A dozen teams more concerned about not getting relegated from the first day of the season , hence the negative sterile football played by a lot of those teams. 

Not for me, I’m out.

1 hour ago, Clevedon Red said:

You’ve witnessed a promotion to the top flight, I haven’t...jealous.

I suspect that at some point the top 4 or 6 Premiership teams will go off to a European League, leaving us with an English Premiership that would be a better watch and that we could comfortably survive in. Maybe they'll be some sort of play off system for teams trying to break into the elite. Whatever it is, surely we'd want City as far up as possible if and  when that happens.

1 hour ago, Portland Bill said:

Funnily enough, I have given up, if the Premier league is the ultimate prize then count me out. It’s boring, I don’t think I’ve seen a really good game all season. The money side has taken over from the football, footballers on obscene amounts of money, footballers with absolutely no loyalty to the clubs and fans they play for. I could go on. 

The same teams every season at the top of the league, the thrill of finishing fourth?, etc etc. A dozen teams more concerned about not getting relegated from the first day of the season , hence the negative sterile football played by a lot of those teams. 

Not for me, I’m out.

I’m guessing you are unaware of Leicester City..?

On the whole, I kind of agree with your general view of the premiership, but Leicester’s story should be exactly what gives the likes of yourself a renewed love, passion & belief in the romance of football, even in this modern day. 

To a lesser extent, obviously, look at Wolves. 

First season up and they are “best of the rest” and now off to Wembley for an FACup semi final. I doubt they are finding it all as mundane as you are describing it..! 

Archived