IGNORED

Premier League - why?

DaveInSA

8 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Speaking as a 35 year old who has the misfortune to support the biggest club left never to have played PL football, and having never seen us play top division football at all, I really don’t know why some of you bother.

For all it’s faults the Premier League is the pinnacle of the game in our country. There is nothing I’d like to see more than my team playing teams like United, Arsenal and Liverpool on a regular basis. And if Bournemouth, Watford, Brighton and Burnley can establish themselves there I see no reason why we couldn’t do the same.

If mid-table second tier is the limit of your aspiration, why even bother going anymore. We’ve seen everything this division has to offer and if a lost Championship play off final proves to be the high point of my football supporting life, I for one will be on my deathbed a bitterly disappointed man.

For many "lesser" clubs, like us,  the premier league is  double edged sword, where the journey - the getting there - is perhaps more exciting, exhilarating and rewarding than actually being there.

However, did we want to be a top dog in league 1, rolling teams over, but to remain there just so it would give us fans a warm, satisfied feeling every match day, or was it part of the journey to see the team and club improve  and move on to the next level?

Having gained promotion things have not been easy and straightforward and we all know the frustration and disappointment we have suffered since our return, but is the extent of our ambition to become an "established' championship club and enjoy bring in the "most competitive league in the world"?

I bet that SL doesn't see it that way, even though being in the championship has a lot going for it. I doubt he has invested in the stadium redevelopment and upgrading the academy just so we are better equipped to stay in the championship. I'm sure his plan/aim/ambition is for the club to further develop so that we can compete for,  and gain, promotion to the top flight. He will not consider for one minute the potential downsides of being in the prem - VAR issues, getting royally stuffed on a few occasions and probable relegation - but will consider seeing his ( and our) club competing with some of the top teams in the world, giving the fans the chance of seeing their team playing against the best teams and players and the club reaping financial rewards that will enable it to further develop and improve so it is better equipped to stay in the prem or challenge again in the championship.

I also reckon that SL craves what he has enjoyed throughout his business career - success and being at the top of his chosen world.

I was lucky enough to see City in the top flight 40 odd years ago. Although the premier league is s different world from the old first division, would I want younger fans to be deprived of the same chance? No way!

4 hours ago, sephjnr said:

I'll bite, as an NFL follower.

The major issues are what rules make it necessary, the timing of the request from when an incident occurred, the amount of time the reviews take and the near-zero communication between the officials and the fans.

The last one needs resolving first. Get a stadium PA channel dedicated to the refs so they can state "x decision is under review", "the decision stands", "the decision is overturned" and what the overturn means. If existing game rules need modifying then table motions with the FA and FIFA, 

Shave 30 seconds off the time-related concerns then things get very smooth very quick. The World Cup showed this system does work, English football can follow up on that if it tries. Especially if it means certain referees can't deify themselves.

I heard a very interesting quote on VAR on the radio this week. I can't remember whom was but he made a lot of sense. What he said was -

VAR is to help on clear and obvious errors. If it takes more than 30 seconds to decide using video its not clear and obvious therefore the Refs decision stands.

This would speed up the process.

For those stating VAR as.a reason not to go up - how long before VAR is introduced to the Championship?

2 minutes ago, CHIPLEY RED said:

I heard a very interesting quote on VAR on the radio this week. I can't remember whom was but he made a lot of sense. What he said was -

VAR is to help on clear and obvious errors. If it takes more than 30 seconds to decide using video its not clear and obvious therefore the Refs decision stands.

This would speed up the process.

For those stating VAR as.a reason not to go up - how long before VAR is introduced to the Championship?

Good reason for relegation? :)

4 minutes ago, Der no.2 said:

Apparently he Skated around a bit but ended up dropping a Pollock.

Look at you up there in your lofty perch - who appointed you the sole arbiter of fish puns?

It's all right having a dab at punning but you'll flounder before long and when it does go wrong don't come on here pouting like a spoilt child. 

:)

15 hours ago, Bar BS3 said:

I’m guessing you are unaware of Leicester City..?

On the whole, I kind of agree with your general view of the premiership, but Leicester’s story should be exactly what gives the likes of yourself a renewed love, passion & belief in the romance of football, even in this modern day. 

To a lesser extent, obviously, look at Wolves. 

First season up and they are “best of the rest” and now off to Wembley for an FACup semi final. I doubt they are finding it all as mundane as you are describing it..! 

Wolves have been exciting to watch, I agree. Leicester had a tremendous season and it was a great story.

But neither team means anything personally to me. 

The premier league has been going approximately 30 years, that’s 2 teams in 30 years who have rocked the boat of the big boys for a small while. I just don’t get any excitement watching that league, I may be the exception, but I just find it sterile. 

30 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

I thing he’s probably doing a lot more to achieve it than you or I are..! 

I think he probably should as he's running the club and has slightly more money than you or I.

5 minutes ago, downendcity said:

You honestly believe that?!

No.. a joke that clearly went straight over your head! 

I still can't believe that some people on here are happy to stay in the Championship. I was lucky enough to be there when we were last in the top flight and it was brilliant. All the big teams and top players coming to AG and huge crowds. Surely the aim of any club is to play at the highest level they can and that for us would be the premiership. I've seen some brilliant games from the prem this year and some big upsets so how it can be regarded as sterile is not quite right. I hope to watch top flight football again before too long and hope fans that have never seen it experience  playing some of the best teams and players in the world.

40 minutes ago, Portland Bill said:

Wolves have been exciting to watch, I agree. Leicester had a tremendous season and it was a great story.

But neither team means anything personally to me. 

The premier league has been going approximately 30 years, that’s 2 teams in 30 years who have rocked the boat of the big boys for a small while. I just don’t get any excitement watching that league, I may be the exception, but I just find it sterile. 

I agree and don’t get any excitement from watching it either. That’s because City aren’t in it. I don’t watch foreign football or buch from any game not involving City really. 

It would take on a whole new level of interest for me, if it was the league that City were playing in. As would any other league. 

I’d be excited by the prospect of going to new grounds, seeing top teams and players, but after a season or 2/3 of having to hope to be the 4th worst team in the division, I think the novelty would start to lose it’s shine and longer term, I’m not sure if regular hammering and hoping to get to 40 points, would really be as inspiring a dream as trying to get there in the first place. 

I’m also not sure I’d be to enamoured watching players of ours, earning £50/60k a week taking those hammerings, before those that are any good move to the next highest bidder. 

20 minutes ago, redsquirrel said:

I cant even think about prem football when in reality we could still be on 55 points with one game left this season   although weve done ok this season,we are not good enough to be an established championship side yet. in my opinion of course.

Or we could be on 82 points with only Hull to beat to get second place??

2 hours ago, Red 90 said:

No.. a joke that clearly went straight over your head! 

I'm only 3 foot tall so perfectly possible! :)

P.S. I am not LJ.

P.P.S. There are a few on here that do genuinely believe that SL does not want promotion to the prem and point to us not buying the striker ( that would definitely guarantee promotion) in January  as proof that this is the case!

Honestly?  I would not bother coming if I didn't think we might make it to the Premiership one day and dare I say become established - maybe after bouncing up an down for a number of seasons until we find our feet.  The game has changed but with our present owner it is not outside of our reach and we are not some non-league side with fans who are happy to tread water.  The whole point is to seek glory, win a cup and see this side as a top division outfit.

6 hours ago, CityCiderEd said:

I still can't believe that some people on here are happy to stay in the Championship. I was lucky enough to be there when we were last in the top flight and it was brilliant. All the big teams and top players coming to AG and huge crowds. Surely the aim of any club is to play at the highest level they can and that for us would be the premiership. I've seen some brilliant games from the prem this year and some big upsets so how it can be regarded as sterile is not quite right. I hope to watch top flight football again before too long and hope fans that have never seen it experience  playing some of the best teams and players in the world.

I also watched us for four years in the old first division, it’s was a good time, a time when I still felt football was a working class game. A time where I felt an effinity with the players, a time when football wasn’t controlled by tv dictating when games will kick off, a time when players weren’t becoming millionaires at 18. 

I would add that I also watched us in the fourth division, and I would say I enjoyed those times even more, a camaraderie with fans and players that I have never seen bettered in the last 30 years. 

I don’t really care who plays for the opposition, it doesn’t concern me, I’ve only ever watched City to watch City. You say you can’t believe that some people are happy to stay in the Championship, well why not, it’s a better more equal league than the money one up above. Seriously, I’m not at all interested in City setting out from game one to avoid being relegated, because that’s exactly what Premier league football would bring. 

“Super Sunday”, “rivalry weekend” , “the battle for fourth place” , now they are having VAR, it seriously makes me weep to think where it’s all going. I’m falling out with the game, give me a decent local non league game over all that shit any time!

4 hours ago, Portland Bill said:

I also watched us for four years in the old first division, it’s was a good time, a time when I still felt football was a working class game. A time where I felt an effinity with the players, a time when football wasn’t controlled by tv dictating when games will kick off, a time when players weren’t becoming millionaires at 18. 

I would add that I also watched us in the fourth division, and I would say I enjoyed those times even more, a camaraderie with fans and players that I have never seen bettered in the last 30 years. 

I don’t really care who plays for the opposition, it doesn’t concern me, I’ve only ever watched City to watch City. You say you can’t believe that some people are happy to stay in the Championship, well why not, it’s a better more equal league than the money one up above. Seriously, I’m not at all interested in City setting out from game one to avoid being relegated, because that’s exactly what Premier league football would bring. 

“Super Sunday”, “rivalry weekend” , “the battle for fourth place” , now they are having VAR, it seriously makes me weep to think where it’s all going. I’m falling out with the game, give me a decent local non league game over all that shit any time!

Those days are gone I'm afraid and will never return.The affinity with the players disappeared years ago as did the old AG stadium we used to play in where I watched many a game soaked through in the old open end.

The new AG was built with reaching the top flight as one of the reasons. Whilst the championship maybe more equal there are plenty of smaller clubs that have become established in the prem without breaking the bank. The championship maybe more equal but can you really say deep down you wouldn't want to see City have a crack at it? The ground would be sold out every game and with decent players and careful financial management why couldn't we become an established side in the division. You said you had a good time watching us in the old first division but I hope we never ever play in the bottom league again even if the camaraderie was the best you've seen in thirty years. You may dislike the prem but most of our fans,players and management would love to give it a shot.

I understand all the anti Prem stuff, I dislike a lot of it.

However, remembering back to when we were in the top flight, albeit as a young teenager, one of the best things was what it did for the city itself. There was such a buzz around the city, especially on match days.

It does annoy me when you go to places like Malaysia or Vietnam and when you talk to locals about football they say how much they love English football, they know all about Burnley, Cardiff, Bournemouth, Stoke........Bristol City or even the city of Bristol??  Never heard of them/it

Archived