IGNORED

Last Ten Games

weymouth red

13 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

It would depend on how other results around us had gone. 

Assuming that we probably need 7 wins from our remaining 10 games, then most certainly become pretty much “must win”

However, in the same vein, a win against Villa would be more valuable to us than a win against Wigan..!

It’s so tight in the top half currently. It’s far easier to identify games that are “must not lose” (like Boro) rather than knowing which ones are “must win” 

Good comments.

I'm amazed that in theory your 'must win' radar wouldn't start buzzing until we find ourselves having not won in 7 league games, and needing to win 6 or 7 of our last 8!

Suddenly we find form to humble West Brom at Ashton Gate. Then, 4 days later we beat in-form Villa at Villa Park. We later beat in-form Wednesday at Hillsboro etc etc.

It's like Roy of the Rovers!

18 minutes ago, mozo said:

Good comments.

I'm amazed that in theory your 'must win' radar wouldn't start buzzing until we find ourselves having not won in 7 league games, and needing to win 6 or 7 of our last 8!

Suddenly we find form to humble West Brom at Ashton Gate. Then, 4 days later we beat in-form Villa at Villa Park. We later beat in-form Wednesday at Hillsboro etc etc.

It's like Roy of the Rovers!

I don’t see form in past games as having any bearing on the neccesity of winning future ones. Apart from the points total that it leaves us on, obviously..! 

Of course I’d rather we win our next 8 games and secure 5th/6th place..! That doesn’t mean that getting 1 point against Boro, in our next 2 games, would rule us out, whatever or previous run of form had been. 

Indeed, our recent winning run came off the back of 4 straight defeats. 

13 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

I agree with you again SR....I don’t think it will be SL who loses patience with our mid-table finishes - it will be LJ - and as much as people like me old mucker @Robbored think that LJ is full of gratitude and loyalty and would never consider leaving, I don’t agree, I think LJ seriously believes in himself and some of the hype that has swirled around him over the last couple of years...he talks a good game, knows his way around a PowerPoint presentation and thinks he’s cool and progressive because he measures the grass length at away games...

When we finish around 12th this season he will be looking for his next move - and to be fair to him, if he believes in himself as much as I think he does, why not? I wouldn’t blame him....I don’t think he’s anywhere near the ‘real deal’ as he obviously thinks he is....but my opinion doesn’t count...the club don’t care what I think, they just want my money...evidenced by the recent bombardment of my phone in the form of texts and emails pleading with me to renew my ST and reminding me of deadlines...

Agree completely.

He may turn out eventually to be the 'real deal', I have some serious doubts about that but I could well be wrong, in time.

I think if I were in his shoes and with the abundant self belief he has ( that is not a criticism ), I would be thinking about my next move too.

I don't think he will want to have a third season of being in with a chance of the top 6 and it then it fading away, that actually doesn't look to great on his CV were it to happen.

It would be a highly interesting situation if Fulham or WBA, assuming they are both in the Championship next season, come calling.

In that scenario what do the club do? Allow him to speak to them, or indeed any other club, or do they offer him a new contract and the promise of more resources?

My money is on the former - get some compensation - and appoint another Div 1, young manager that is looking for a step-up - always assuming that his coaches go with him.

Could be another rinse and repeat. 

22 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

I don’t see form in past games as having any bearing on the neccesity of winning future ones. Apart from the points total that it leaves us on, obviously..! 

Of course I’d rather we win our next 8 games and secure 5th/6th place..! That doesn’t mean that getting 1 point against Boro, in our next 2 games, would rule us out, whatever or previous run of form had been. 

Indeed, our recent winning run came off the back of 4 straight defeats. 

Yeah and that's where we differ. I factor in form and happy to debate that or not bother!

I'm thinking that at least 2 from Villa, Wednesday,  derby and Forest will win their next game.

If we draw the next 2 we'd be 2 or 3 points off 6th with a game in hand and Wigan to come. But crucially, Villa and Wednesday away to come.

So I see how you can think that we'd still be in with a shout. But I'm incredibly skeptical.

7 minutes ago, ScottishRed said:

Agree completely.

He may turn out eventually to be the 'real deal', I have some serious doubts about that but I could well be wrong, in time.

I think if I were in his shoes and with the abundant self belief he has ( that is not a criticism ), I would be thinking about my next move too.

I don't think he will want to have a third season of being in with a chance of the top 6 and it then it fading away, that actually doesn't look to great on his CV were it to happen.

It would be a highly interesting situation if Fulham or WBA, assuming they are both in the Championship next season, come calling.

In that scenario what do the club do? Allow him to speak to them, or indeed any other club, or do they offer him a new contract and the promise of more resources?

My money is on the former - get some compensation - and appoint another Div 1, young manager that is looking for a step-up - always assuming that his coaches go with him.

Could be another rinse and repeat. 

Spot on - I think LJ is more impatient than he makes out and a few consecutive mid table finishes won’t make potential suitors regard him as anything but average...if he goes and takes JM and DH along for the ride, I’d expect SL to seriously look at people like those brothers at Lincoln to step into the breach - he’s wary of big names who’ve had proven success at this level so it wouldn’t be a mind-blowing appointment - expect Appleton to be in the frame too....

4 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Spot on - I think LJ is more impatient than he makes out and a few consecutive mid table finishes won’t make potential suitors regard him as anything but average...if he goes and takes JM and DH along for the ride, I’d expect SL to seriously look at people like those brothers at Lincoln to step into the breach - he’s wary of big names who’ve had proven success at this level so it wouldn’t be a mind-blowing appointment - expect Appleton to be in the frame too....

As I have said previously on here, if LJ leaves and MA remains, put all you can on Appleton being the new HC.

It is a terrifying thought.

22 minutes ago, mozo said:

Yeah and that's where we differ. I factor in form and happy to debate that or not bother!

I'm thinking that at least 2 from Villa, Wednesday,  derby and Forest will win their next game.

If we draw the next 2 we'd be 2 or 3 points off 6th with a game in hand and Wigan to come. But crucially, Villa and Wednesday away to come.

So I see how you can think that we'd still be in with a shout. But I'm incredibly skeptical.

Don’t get me wrong..! I don’t think we are going to make the top 6. Partly because of our tail off in form and also because too many (3 or 4 at least) other teams seem to be hitting form at just the right time. 

Much of my replies have been focusing on the word “must”, taking it literally. 

There is a big difference between a “must win” and “would be really handy to win” games. 

By the end of the Wigan game we’ll know if we stand any chance. Possibly, realistically, after the Boro game. Although that’s likely to confirm if we have any chance or no chance, rather than anything looking particularly likely..! 

48 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

Don’t get me wrong..! I don’t think we are going to make the top 6. Partly because of our tail off in form and also because too many (3 or 4 at least) other teams seem to be hitting form at just the right time. 

Much of my replies have been focusing on the word “must”, taking it literally. 

There is a big difference between a “must win” and “would be really handy to win” games. 

By the end of the Wigan game we’ll know if we stand any chance. Possibly, realistically, after the Boro game. Although that’s likely to confirm if we have any chance or no chance, rather than anything looking particularly likely..! 

After Boro we'll have a good idea of whether we look like catching Boro.

Derby are out of sorts but have a nice run in. 

I would gladly put money on Villa staying in the top 6.

Wednesday and Preston need to stop winning now...

29 minutes ago, mozo said:

After Boro we'll have a good idea of whether we look like catching Boro.

Derby are out of sorts but have a nice run in. 

I would gladly put money on Villa staying in the top 6.

Wednesday and Preston need to stop winning now...

Agreed. I said a couple of weeks ago that Villa are building up steam. They look odds on at the moment, especially with their depth. 

Boro are the most vunerable target at the moment. Hence the game against them being a “must not lose” game..! 

Archived