IGNORED

Lewin Nyatanga didnt like playing Football

Sweeneys Penalties

I have read something similar about him. Achieved a lot very early (international defender as a teenager) and then became burnt out. Burnout happens in all sorts of occupations. No reason that sports professionals are any different, despite all the money etc. Sad but true.

I doubt he’s alone. 

Prople forget that it’s a job, for a lot of players. Just because you have a natural ability at a certain trade, it’s doesnt mean you “enjoy it”

Of course, it’s a privillaged, well rewarded trade to be good at, but it does also take huge dedication and effort to reap the really big rewards. Professional footballers have to sacrifice a lot that others take for granted, to reach the higher levels. Of course they are then well paid for doing so. 

I remember chatting to David Janes once and he said he didn’t really “like” football, it just happened to be what he was good at. I’m sure there must be others like that. 

Maybe if he had done another job like a window cleaner or a labourer  on a Building site and then became a Professional footballer he would have known what a privilege it was playing football and earning good money while the rest of us work our fingers to the bone to earn a living. 

5 minutes ago, Barry Sheene said:

Maybe if he had done another job like a window cleaner or a labourer  on a Building site and then became a Professional footballer he would have known what a privilege it was playing football and earning good money while the rest of us work our fingers to the bone to earn a living. 

Have you read the article?

Yes he earned a lot of good money, but it's a LOT of had work to be a professional. And like he says in the article, you can't just switch off at the end of the day. 

Window cleaners and labourers can get home and eat whatever they want, get to spend Xmas with their family, summer holidays where they can do what they want. There is a lot of sacrifices being a football, starting at young age too.

I think we could knock up a "I didn't really like playing football" (for)Bristol City X1:

1. David James.

2. A good selection here, I think.

4. Mr Nyatangle.

7. Gordon Owen (technically, a "I didn't really like taking penalties")

10. JET 

Sub: Ralph Milne

Gaffer: Steve Coppell. 

Assistant: Sean O'SOD.

You fill in the gaps....

7 minutes ago, Barry Sheene said:

Maybe if you’d trained harder and shown more dedication, you could have been a footballer..! 

I’m sure he knows that being a footballer is a privillaged position. That doesn’t mean he must love the game. It’s just his job, with without any real love for the game, takes even harder work to forge a career in it. 

12 minutes ago, Barry Sheene said:

At last common sense

4 minutes ago, Greatgraham said:

At last common sense

What’s common sense..?

You think that everyone who hasn’t had a season ticket as a kid, should have to work on a building site before they are allowed to be paid to play football..?!

26 minutes ago, Barry Sheene said:

If he didn’t enjoy it then he didn’t enjoy it. You can’t force yourself to enjoy something.

There are loads of examples of pro footballers who don’t like football. Carlos Tevez,  Battistuta, David Batty, Christian Vieri and  Benoit Assou Ekotou are some of the famous ones but there must be hundreds/thousands over the years. Fair play to them as long as they gave their all on the pitch.  Millions of people don’t like their job after all.  

2 hours ago, Sweeneys Penalties said:

A lot of time for the honesty in this interview. 

As other posters have said, for some it's a just a job and I highly doubt it's as glamorous as some of us imagine. Fair play to him for choosing his happiness, and that of his family, over all else.

56 minutes ago, Moments of Pleasure said:

I think we could knock up a "I didn't really like playing football" (for)Bristol City X1:

1. David James.

2. A good selection here, I think.

4. Mr Nyatangle.

5. Jody Morris 

6.Nicky Hunt 

7. Gordon Owen (technically, a "I didn't really like taking penalties")

10. JET 

Sub: Ralph Milne

Gaffer: Steve Coppell. 

Assistant: Sean O'SOD.

You fill in the gaps....

No 5 and 6 sorted ....I’ve included ‘useless’ as well for variety.....:D

50 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

What’s common sense..?

You think that everyone who hasn’t had a season ticket as a kid, should have to work on a building site before they are allowed to be paid to play football..?!

Your Talking gibberish, how do you know what am thinking and your trying to put words into my mouth. I didn’t think nor say any such thing. 

48 minutes ago, RedDave said:

If he didn’t enjoy it then he didn’t enjoy it. You can’t force yourself to enjoy something.

Then let some other young lads (which are millions) have opportunity to their dream come true.

the opportunity to turn up at the ground train and play football for two to three hrs a day. Retire with a nice fat pension along with a fat wage.

and I don’t recall a football player ever suffering austerity or recession in the last 30-40 years but I can assure you millions of workers and non workers has and still do. I find it ungrateful.

2 minutes ago, Greatgraham said:

Then let some other young lads (which are millions) have opportunity to their dream come true.

the opportunity to turn up at the ground train and play football for two to three hrs a day. Retire with a nice fat pension along with a fat wage.

and I don’t recall a football player ever suffering austerity or recession in the last 30-40 years but I can assure you millions of workers and non workers has and still do. I find it ungrateful.

An odd viewpoint I would say. If you had a job earning £10k per week that you didn’t like and the alternative was earning £1k per week but you quite enjoyed it, what would you choose?

I would choose £10k per week for quite a few years myself. Earn the money then look to do something else.  Fair play to him.

11 minutes ago, Greatgraham said:

Your Talking gibberish, how do you know what am thinking and your trying to put words into my mouth. I didn’t think nor say any such thing. 

So what did you mean by responding “at last, common sense” to a post suggesting that he should have worked as a window cleaner or labourer, before he played football..? Where does he he say he didn’t understand the privillaged occupation in which he was playing his trade..? He simply said that he didn’t really like football. Which arguably means he’s had to work harder to make a living from it that someone who loves doing it. 

6 minutes ago, Greatgraham said:

What do you do for a living..?

2 minutes ago, RedDave said:

An odd viewpoint I would say. If you had a job earning £10k per week that you didn’t like and the alternative was earning £1k per week but you quite enjoyed it, what would you choose?

I would choose £10k per week for quite a few years myself. Earn the money then look to do something else.  Fair play to him.

Your statement is rather odd and didn’t cover any of my comment. Do your due diligence.

2 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

So what did you mean by responding “at last, common sense” to a post suggesting that he should have worked as a window cleaner or labourer, before he played football..? Where does he he say he didn’t understand the privillaged occupation in which he was playing his trade..? He simply said that he didn’t really like football. Which arguably means he’s had to work harder to make a living from it that someone who loves doing it. 

What do you do for a living..?

Professional footballer (retired)

8 minutes ago, Greatgraham said:

You think that players who earn a fat pension and fat wage from football, just turn up at the ground and train and play for 2-3 hours a day..?! 

Now whose talking jibberish..?! 

3 minutes ago, Greatgraham said:

Professional footballer (retired)

Interesting. Tell us more...

You think that players who earn a fat pension and fat wage from football, just turn up at the ground and train and play for 2-3 hours a day..?! 

Now whose talking jibberish..?! 

Interesting. Tell us more...

It’s non of your business 

2 minutes ago, Greatgraham said:

It’s non of your business 

Okay wind up merchant

I didn’t address your points as you made statements and didn’t ask questions. To say it’s ungrateful to not enjoy being a footballer is bizarre. 

To then invent yourself as an ex footballer is equally bizarre. 

What a bizarre response to a perfectly reasonable question..! 

Some might say it discredits the legitimacy of your reply. 

He is clearly talking complete BS. 

What a bizarre response to a perfectly reasonable question..! 

Some might say it discredits the legitimacy of your reply. 

True, your entitled to think how you like

Archived