IGNORED

Lewin Nyatanga didnt like playing Football

Sweeneys Penalties

3 minutes ago, RedDave said:

Okay wind up merchant

I didn’t address your points as you made statements and didn’t ask questions. To say it’s ungrateful to not enjoy being a footballer is bizarre. 

To then invent yourself as an ex footballer is equally bizarre. 

He is clearly talking complete BS. 

Yes your right, it is BS like most of the responses on here. You use the word bizarre to my statement and not to yourself but then admit you didn’t address the points that’s equally bizarre (as you put it).

1 minute ago, Greatgraham said:

True, your entitled to think how you like

Thanks. I will. 

Just to be clear though...

You think that a player, dedicated enough to achieve Premier league status and international caps (34), despite not actually being a fan of football, should have stepped aside to to let someone else “live their dream” 

Yet you aren’t prepared to respond to a simple question of interest about your career, to an interested fan who spend his childhood dreaming of being a footballer..?!

Yes your right, it is BS like most of the responses on here. You use the word bizarre to my statement and not to yourself but then admit you didn’t address the points that’s equally bizarre (as you put it).

You really are an odd one..!

So what do you do for a living, that qualifies you to cast judgement on a players suitability to achieve top level & international status in his chosen profession..?

7 minutes ago, Owl Visiting said:

Kitson reckons in one of his Secret Footballer books that he's had plenty of teammates that would walk away from the game if they could earn the same amount of money doing something else.

Just noticed that even though you are an Owl Visiting that you have also dipped into your pocket and become an OTIB Supporter. Good on you, mate.

2 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

Thanks. I will. 

Just to be clear though...

You think that a player, dedicated enough to achieve Premier league status and international caps (34), despite not actually being a fan of football, should have stepped aside to to let someone else “live their dream” 

Yet you aren’t prepared to respond to a simple question of interest about your career, to an interested fan who spend his childhood dreaming of being a footballer..?!

Your saying things I didn’t say or even try to express so I can’t answer that.

why can’t someone who don’t like football step aside, then later express his distaste to the sport. Sport being specific term. It sends the wrong message to our children in my opinion.

8 minutes ago, Greatgraham said:

Your saying things I didn’t say or even try to express so I can’t answer that.

why can’t someone who don’t like football step aside, then later express his distaste to the sport. Sport being specific term. It sends the wrong message to our children in my opinion.

You DID say that. And you’ve just said it again...!

I don’t think they should anyway, but if you were talking about the likes of Lee Tomlin or Nile Ranger, gifted wasters who piss their talents up the wall whilst stealing a living for a fraction of return, I’d be more inclined to agree that there’s a morale argument to them stepping aside and letting an aspiring talent take their place. 

But why should someone who puts in the dedication and commitment to achieve playing in the premier league and on the international stage, give up what they’ve worked for, just because they don’t happen to actually like the game very much..?

3 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

You DID say that. And you’ve just said it again...!

I don’t think they should anyway, but if you were talking about the likes of Lee Tomlin or Nile Ranger, gifted wasters who piss their talents up the wall whilst stealing a living for a fraction of return, I’d be more inclined to agree that there’s a morale argument to them stepping aside and letting an aspiring talent take their place. 

But why should someone who puts in the dedication and commitment to achieve playing in the premier league and on the international stage, give up what they’ve worked for, just because they don’t happen to actually like the game very much..?

I don’t see the difference between your two paragraphs. Am not asking you to agree with me. Your view is accepted and respected but I don’t agree with you.

I don’t see the difference between your two paragraphs. Am not asking you to agree with me. Your view is accepted and respected but I don’t agree with you.

You don’t see the difference between someone who likes the game, has all the ability in the world to achieve success and wastes it, compared to someone who’s not really a big fan of something but recognised they have a talent for it and spend their career working hard to maximise their potential in that industry. 

You still haven’t said what you do..?

2 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

You don’t see the difference between someone who likes the game, has all the ability in the world to achieve success and wastes it, compared to someone who’s not really a big fan of something but recognised they have a talent for it and spend their career working hard to maximise their potential in that industry. 

You still haven’t said what you do..?

no I don’t see the difference just like you can’t see mine.

its none of your business what I do, or relevance to this debate. But if you want at your wish tell me what you do?

2 minutes ago, Greatgraham said:

no I don’t see the difference just like you can’t see mine.

its none of your business what I do, or relevance to this debate. But if you want at your wish tell me what you do?

I’m not the one critising people’s career choices or their suitability to hold the positions that they achieve. 

I work in the pub trade & catering. 

Went to high school with a lad who went pro and big things were expected of him.

But the truth was he hated playing football proffesionally. He hated missing out on seeing his friends on a friday night. He hated being told what to eat. He hated missing christmas with his family. He hated not being able to go on lads holidays as he could only go on certain dates etc it wasn't that he didn’t like football... More that he prefered the things football was causing him to miss. 

Whilst he accepted he was in a position that lots of young lads would kill for...  He didn’t see the point earning lots of money if you can't spend it how you want to. He basically missed being young and carefree with his mates and felt a little bit lonely. But because of the potential money involved he didn’t feel he could walk away. He hated that as well.

As it turned out a series of injuries ended his potential career before he was 21 and the decision was made for him. Hes a sparky now and never been happier.

3 minutes ago, cider-manc said:

Went to high school with a lad who went pro and big things were expected of him.

But the truth was he hated playing football proffesionally. He hated missing out on seeing his friends on a friday night. He hated being told what to eat. He hated missing christmas with his family. He hated not being able to go on lads holidays as he could only go on certain dates etc it wasn't that he didn’t like football... More that he prefered the things football was causing him to miss. 

Whilst he accepted he was in a position that lots of young lads would kill for...  He didn’t see the point earning lots of money if you can't spend it how you want to. He basically missed being young and carefree with his mates and felt a little bit lonely. But because of the potential money involved he didn’t feel he could walk away. He hated that as well.

As it turned out a series of injuries ended his potential career before he was 21 and the decision was made for him. Hes a sparky now and never been happier.

Did you go to Hanham High by any chance?

55 minutes ago, Greatgraham said:

In another thread you said you trained with footballers unpaid. Interesting you are now saying you were a pro 

3 hours ago, Bar BS3 said:

I doubt he’s alone. 

Prople forget that it’s a job, for a lot of players. Just because you have a natural ability at a certain trade, it’s doesnt mean you “enjoy it”

Of course, it’s a privillaged, well rewarded trade to be good at, but it does also take huge dedication and effort to reap the really big rewards. Professional footballers have to sacrifice a lot that others take for granted, to reach the higher levels. Of course they are then well paid for doing so. 

I remember chatting to David Janes once and he said he didn’t really “like” football, it just happened to be what he was good at. I’m sure there must be others like that. 

Agreed. Who'd rather be at home right now? I'll start us off - me! 

53 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

I’m not the one critising people’s career choices or their suitability to hold the positions that they achieve. 

I work in the pub trade & catering. 

Who's critising i was merely pointing out that had he done a different job he may have liked football at bit more

Between Nyatanga deciding to retire from football and Fontaine turning to acoustic guitar-based ballads, seems to me we should probably check on anyone else who was playing in defence for Sean O'Driscoll when we got relegated. Has anyone heard from Matthew Bates or Brendan Moloney? Willing to bet one of them is currently living with a goat herder in the Andes.

9 minutes ago, Barry Sheene said:

Who's critising i was merely pointing out that had he done a different job he may have liked football at bit more

I was responding to the other tool who was just chatting shite. 

I know the point that you were making, although in a lot of ways, the jobs you used as examples are far easier that that of being a top level professional footballer. 

Different, of course, and not as well rewarded, but I think people overlook the all consuming dedication, discipline and commitment that it takes to get to that level of the game. No wonder it can lose its romance, for some. 

9 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

I know the point that you were making, although in a lot of ways, the jobs you used as examples are far easier that that of being a top level professional footballer. 

Different, of course, and not as well rewarded, but I think people overlook the all consuming dedication, discipline and commitment that it takes to get to that level of the game. No wonder it can lose its romance, for some. 

Football is more about talent than hard work. 

You can work hard to become a plumber learn you're trade etc . However it's not the case with football , you need talent to begin with and then work ethic depending on how much talent you have.

The best have both e.g Ronaldo. I'm not sure what George Best work ethic was like but he was certainly born with an abundance of natural talent firstly.

2 hours ago, RedDave said:

I always find it amusing when fans get annoyed if they find out footballers don’t enjoy being footballers. Assoi-Ekkota one of the most famous cases and mentioned in the article.  A man who got abuse for saying he played football for the money only. A man who also gave 100% at all times. 

Sometimes, (& we've had our fair share of 'em)  ….. From top Internationals to the Downs.Leagues …

_40128691_gascoigne270.jpg

Only here for the beer!  

12 minutes ago, When the river runs said:

You can work hard to become a plumber learn you're trade etc . However it's not the case with football , you need talent to begin with and then work ethic depending on how much talent you have.

The best have both e.g Ronaldo. I'm not sure what George Best work ethic was like but he was certainly born with an abundance of natural talent firstly.

You certainly need a certain amount of natural talent to be a footballer, I agree. But then the same can be said for many other jobs. 

Without hard work, you might be able to blag it for a while, but you’d not make it to the premier league and 34 international caps (even for Wales)

Its not just hard work & talent needed, either. It’s dedication & application  

Look at David Noble. JET. Absolutely talented but no didication or commitment to making the most of it.

George Best was exceptionally talented, but I seriously doubt he’d get far on talent alone, these days when every player is so monitored. 

If your job is to stop other people doing their job - one slip and you are open to abuse/derision/dropping etc - then not everyone's going to love that.

Flinty made it bearable with his jollies and sorties upfield and showing the forwards how to do their job.

Imagine being a postman, or woman, or a milkman (never seen a milk woman - I think there's a gag in there somewhere), but your job is to stop other post or milk men and/or women, doing their job, ie, delivering post and milk? One slip, one loss of concentration and Bang! Post in through the letter box/milk on the doorstep, and it's all your fault.

I don't believe him when he says some pro footballers "hate" it. You wouldn't last long in the game if you properly hated it, I suspect it's just a case of hating some aspects of the job at certain times.

Reminds me of the ludicrous opening line of Andre Agassi's autobiography:  "I play tennis for a living even though I hate tennis, hate it with a dark and secret passion and always have."

Chris Boardman has always said he doesn't really like cycling, strange given his obvious enjoyment at winning and post-career spent designing bikes...

44 minutes ago, When the river runs said:

Hardwork beats talent when talent doesn't work, and another 1% talent 99% hardwork. Two lines from coaching courses and seemingly every second book on coaching.

Its hard to articulate what natural talent is beyond it is possible to identify genetic inheritance that influence sporting performance . Genetic inheritance that frequently large proportions of the populace possess.

So the line football is more about talent than hard work IS incorrect. Football is a sport that is highly neurological, muscle memory etc is not there at birth and its created by intense, integrated practice leading to processes such as myelination. Unlike other sports football is a sport of late development - the training, and how much, and the how you do it influences what you later become. Even footballers reflexes and ability to see (passes) and react unlike the rest of us is influenced by training - Players brains again alter the more they train. 

Nobody has left the womb able to do step overs, kick ups .. No scientist has ever been able to identify that talent gene.

50 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

Your aloud mouth by making it personal. Keep typing away you coward

1 minute ago, Sturny said:

Never watched him play and literally every word I've heard about him has been how awful he was. Was he really that bad for us? 

No. He was pretty decent for us, until the last 12 months when he lost the plot and his confidence was shot to bits. 

His first season or 2 with us, he was an accomplished championship standard player. 

Archived