IGNORED

Lewin Nyatanga didnt like playing Football

Sweeneys Penalties

3 minutes ago, Ivorguy said:

If you are privileged or lucky to do a job you really really enjoy you are lucky indeed.

I changed my job aged 50 and was so lucky then to have 20 years of pure enjoyment from work. Prior to that I had a job that looked great to others but was highly stressful and I began to hate.  I know exactly where Nyatanga is coming from, and am pleased for him that he is now doing something he loved.

I am put in mind of a quotation from Queen Elizabeth I which addresses this issue, viz, 'To be a King and wear a crown is a thing more glorious to them that see it than it is pleasant to them that bear it.'

Nicely put from a Queen that own three quarters of the planet, and wealth and credit that’s limitless pit. I didn’t see her or her mob rush to give back what they took, especially the lands and homes from my people. The First World War a war to keep a crown mmmmm

10 minutes ago, Greatgraham said:

Nicely put from a Queen that own three quarters of the planet, and wealth and credit that’s limitless pit. I didn’t see her or her mob rush to give back what they took, especially the lands and homes from my people. The First World War a war to keep a crown mmmmm

What are you talking about? Elizabeth I ruled from 1558 to 1603

15 minutes ago, Ivorguy said:

What are you talking about? Elizabeth I ruled from 1558 to 1603

Really! of course I knew but why Quote her or didn't you understand your own statement, it makes no difference what epoch, they all wear the same hat I mean crown and support each other’s words and action. I understood exactly what was meant by the quote she made.

8 minutes ago, Greatgraham said:

Really! of course I knew but why Quote her or didn't you understand your own statement, it makes no difference what epoch, they all wear the same hat I mean crown and support each other’s words and action. I understood exactly what was meant by the quote she made.

Sorry I couldn't make Head nor tail of what you were trying to say.or indeed what you are now saying.  It is just , sorry, so garbled.

My quotation merely sought to give clarification  to Nyatanga's position, which is one I also experienced as I said. But glad you understood the quote.

46 minutes ago, Greatgraham said:

Ooh go on then... who are “your people”...? 

Dont tell me... you are a mermaid from the southern Pacific..?! 

13 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

Ooh go on then... who are “your people”...? 

Dont tell me... you are a mermaid from the southern Pacific..?! 

You are the people 

19 minutes ago, Ivorguy said:

Sorry I couldn't make Head nor tail of what you were trying to say.or indeed what you are now saying.  It is just , sorry, so garbled.

My quotation merely sought to give clarification  to Nyatanga's position, which is one I also experienced as I said. But glad you understood the quote.

I accept your apology, it is not garble as you put it.  If you don’t understand that’s your issue.

If you're good at something and want to earn money doing it even though you don't enjoy it then go for it. I've been in plenty of jobs I don't enjoy but they paid for a better lifestyle than other crap I might enjoy, or not having a job at all which I'm sure would've been fun.

Guys saying he should give it up because he didn't enjoy it? Why should he? He'd worked hard enough to get where he was and was more than entitled to earn money from working as a football player. If teams are willing to pay him and he goes and does his job to a reasonable expectation then what's the problem other than your being upset you or your kid aren't a footballer instead of him? Get off your ******* high horse.

The irony with a lot of the comments is that it clear from the interview he is grateful for having had the chance to play and appreciates the privilege and opportunities being a footballer has given him. He is just honest about the fact the lifestyle was all consuming for him.

It is easy to knock someone who gave up football to be a team leader at a gym in Northampton but I respect it in a way. We criticise footballers for being greedy but few would have the courage to give up something glamorous paying a fortune for a simpler life that meant they could see more of their family.

If someone is not trying hard enough to do the job they are paid to do then that is obviously a bad thing but, whilst, Nyatanga had his limitations as a player, I never personally felt lack of effort of application was one of them.

49 minutes ago, ZiderheadTJ said:

Did I not see on here not so long ago that Joe Bryan isn’t too interested in football but is clearly good at the game? 

People have said it but I am not so sure. He certainly bought into the community aspect of the club and he came to QPR away and sat with the fans. He can’t dislike it too much if he watches it in his spare time...

7 hours ago, TBW said:

If you're good at something and want to earn money doing it even though you don't enjoy it then go for it. I've been in plenty of jobs I don't enjoy but they paid for a better lifestyle than other crap I might enjoy, or not having a job at all which I'm sure would've been fun.

Guys saying he should give it up because he didn't enjoy it? Why should he? He'd worked hard enough to get where he was and was more than entitled to earn money from working as a football player. If teams are willing to pay him and he goes and does his job to a reasonable expectation then what's the problem other than your being upset you or your kid aren't a footballer instead of him? Get off your ******* high horse.

Spot on. I'd hazard a guess that the majority of the forum are in jobs the don't really enjoy, but bills need to be paid somehow.

2 hours ago, LondonBristolian said:

The irony with a lot of the comments is that it clear from the interview he is grateful for having had the chance to play and appreciates the privilege and opportunities being a footballer has given him. He is just honest about the fact the lifestyle was all consuming for him.

It is easy to knock someone who gave up football to be a team leader at a gym in Northampton but I respect it in a way. We criticise footballers for being greedy but few would have the courage to give up something glamorous paying a fortune for a simpler life that meant they could see more of their family.

If someone is not trying hard enough to do the job they are paid to do then that is obviously a bad thing but, whilst, Nyatanga had his limitations as a player, I never personally felt lack of effort of application was one of them.

Spot on, couldn't agree more.

The world is full of people that do jobs they hate because it pays well.

If you're ever met an investment banker, you'll have heard the standard tale of young people working themselves into the ground and putting their long-term health at risk in order to earn enough money to retire early and enjoy their later years, give their future families a good life, etc. It doesn't happen. I knew a guy pulling down £2m a year, and he looked like a broken man. He got into writing trading software with the hoal of getting out in his thirties and starting a family, but in the end he chose that life over a family. Last time I met him he was doing the same old shit. Working 16 hour days, going out on the piss, sleeping in the office, and waking up to do it all over again.

The parallels with football are all there, but their shelf life is set in stone. They use their youth and long-term health to earn money, and the lucky ones will get the money, but they'll have sacrificed a lot of experiences they'll never get back because they were dedicated to football. The unlucky ones will have long-term injuries, thoughts of failure, not as much money as their peers, and will have still missed out on a lot.

I have no idea why people hated Nyatanga. On his day, he was a solid defender, but things almost inexplicably went south for him. I hope he's happy in his new career, and hopefully he earned enough money to give his daughter a good life.

I have an anecdote that sums up a lot of what is expressed in this thread. It is very appropriate:

A customer was standing at a bar one evening having a drink. As he was new, the publican started to engage in conversation with him.

"What do you do for a living, sir?" asked the publican.

"I'm an elephant de-constipator," replied the customer.

"What's that for gawd's sake?"

"It's helping the elephants at the circus calm their stomachs due to all the anxiety all the travelling to shows causes them."

"And how do you achieve that?"

"I'll tell you what, when it's closing time follow me down to the circus and I will show you."

So, after closing time the publican does just that, They get to the circus and the customer enters one of the cages housing the elephants. He rolls up his sleeve and proceeds to stick his arm, up to the elbow, up the elephant's behind. He moves his arm around until the elephant empties the contents of his stomach all over the customer in a mix of liquid and solid excrement.

"Jeez," says the publican holding his nose. "That must be the worst job in Britain. How much do they pay you for that?"

"Sixty quid a week and full bed and board," replied the customer.

"Jeez! Well, I need a new barman. I will give you a hundred quid a week and full bed and board," the publican responded.

"What?" the customer answered, "...and give up on show business!!!!" 

Although I find my job interesting, I cannot say it represents the best part of the day: That's spent with the family or friends or alone with the gorgeous Mrs R  :wub:

I suppose that's similar to what LN is saying.

Work is a means for those of us not born into great wealth to gain the freedom that money brings. It's not an end in itself for most of us.

And while we can enjoy a knockabout game, once football becomes your entire income it becomes work and various demands and restrictions and unenjoyable things come with that.

I thought LN was a pretty average player TBH, but this piece shows he's quite a thoughtful guy.

He didn't "hate football" - he speaks of being a passionate Derby fan - but he did hate aspects of the life of a professional footballer and decided to move away from it when he could.

Archived