IGNORED

How much of a difference do you think the keeper injuries have made?

LondonBristolian

To be clear, I'm not intending to have a go at O'Leary who is obviously a promising young 'keeper but I can't help but notice that, whilst the two do not coincide completely, much of our bad run has been at the same time as our keeper injuries.

How much of a difference do you think it is making that we have two relatively untested goalkeepers competing for places? I don't simply mean in the goals we concede but does it mean our defenders are less confident in what is behind them, a bit more reluctant to push forward and a bit more cautious in their play, and does that then create gaps our midfielders drop back to fill meaning the whole team is 5 yards further back and the attackers more isolated?

During our good run we simply did not look like we would concede. Is the fact that is no longer the case impacting on performances?

Or is it all coincidence?

The Keeper last week affected the possession of the football Players altered their passing patterns. Less possession, more  pressure, more opportunity for the opponents.  

Unless all four Keepers who have appeared in the last six (?) games possess the same skill set and no two players do, it has to have an impact negative or positive. Above is a negative. 

Coincidence.

Can't think of goals conceded since Maenpaa injured that were due to keeper. Not saying that Niki may have saved them but no clear cut howlers.

O'Leary should be in the side at present. An ideal opportunity to give him game time. Otherwise, the word "Pathways" should be deleted from Bristol City dictionary.

5 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

Coincidence.

Can't think of goals conceded since Maenpaa injured that were due to keeper. Not saying that Niki may have saved them but no clear cut howlers.

O'Leary should be in the side at present. An ideal opportunity to give him game time. Otherwise, the word "Pathways" should be deleted from Bristol City dictionary.

Exactly.

Max O'Leary has spent his young footballing life being versed in the Bristol City way. 

And is then replaced by a player with hours of training at the same club.

If Lee Johnson has any faith in his own methods and coaches O'Leary should be playing.

6 minutes ago, jj77 said:

I don't think the keeper would have made any difference to City being pretty toothless up front.

None at all? What if the defenders felt more confident making risky passes to forward players because the keeper wasn't so shite? The keeper can unleash counter attacks! We all know how Webster loves a run forward too maybe he felt less confident. That being said I don't think it would've made a great change in how we played vs Ipswich 

Marinovic had a dreadful debut, but he wasn't to blame for Ipswich's goal and I suppose the most you can say is he made the defence nervous, which gave Ipswich confidence.

His presence doesn't explain why we barely had a meaningful attack in the second half.

1 hour ago, LondonBristolian said:

To be clear, I'm not intending to have a go at O'Leary who is obviously a promising young 'keeper but I can't help but notice that, whilst the two do not coincide completely, much of our bad run has been at the same time as our keeper injuries.

How much of a difference do you think it is making that we have two relatively untested goalkeepers competing for places? I don't simply mean in the goals we concede but does it mean our defenders are less confident in what is behind them, a bit more reluctant to push forward and a bit more cautious in their play, and does that then create gaps our midfielders drop back to fill meaning the whole team is 5 yards further back and the attackers more isolated?

During our good run we simply did not look like we would concede. Is the fact that is no longer the case impacting on performances?

Or is it all coincidence?

Don't all managers say that defence is down to the whole team. We are playing and poorly as a team with little fight and determination and up against better teams. It certainly can't help having your better keepers injured but I think it is the team as a wholewho are either knackered or not up for it when it gets to the business end of the season.

6 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

Marinovic had a dreadful debut, but he wasn't to blame for Ipswich's goal and I suppose the most you can say is he made the defence nervous, which gave Ipswich confidence.

His presence doesn't explain why we barely had a meaningful attack in the second half.

I suppose that's my point. It's not so much about whether the keeper is responsible for goals conceded so much as whether, if a team is looking to build from the back and a different keeper makes it hard to feel confident in doing so, that does have a knock-on effect on the team going forward. When Guardiola replaced Hart it wasn't do with his ability to stop shots but his ability to start attacks and I feel, particularly with Nikki, the fact he is comfortable with the ball and reliable enables the defence to be further forward and then the midfield sit deeper as a result. So I wonder if it could form part of - though certainly not all of - why our attacking ability has been diminished of late.

53 minutes ago, Sturny said:

None at all? What if the defenders felt more confident making risky passes to forward players because the keeper wasn't so shite? The keeper can unleash counter attacks! We all know how Webster loves a run forward too maybe he felt less confident. That being said I don't think it would've made a great change in how we played vs Ipswich 

A methodology of some teams is to use possession in the first third as a type of safe possession zone. The ball is being secured and them moved up the pitch with a team in shape. This requires a Keeper that is safe in possession and comfortable moving the ball to his FB's and CB's.

That possession then launches attacks - Play restarts at the back

In the case of the Keeper v Ipswich the Keeper and players in front of him did not secure the ball. That was not just down to Ipswich messing up that possession, it was also due to Bristol City's Keeper.

I disagree with most - I felt against Leeds an experienced keeper might have blocked the cross, or at the very least yelled at Semenyo to track his man - it might not have worked, and I certainly don't want to seem like those pundits who think every goal is preventable with the benefit of hindsight, but it was a very soft goal to concede.

Archived