IGNORED

Have you been entertained?

where's the joy

8 minutes ago, Loon plage said:

It's quite odd how many folks say they haven't renewed, yet the club is showing increased sales and exactly the same thing happened last season.

There's presumably no way the club would claim sales that didn't happen so new SC holders are being attracted somehow.

I've just moved to Bristol so for the first time a season ticket has been viable!

That accounts for a 2 ticket increase on previous seasons, but I think it's worth noting I've been a life long fan and it is certainly not this seasons exciting home performances that have enticed me in  

26 minutes ago, Sturny said:

I'd also like to see how many times we've been losing to come back and win it. Happened a few times last season! 

Only talking about home games here but on 4 occasions we have come back from losing positions at home and won (Blackburn, Bolton league, Bolton Cup, QPR) and once we have come back and drawn (Norwich - also lead)

Last season surprisingly just twice did we come from behind to win (Derby and Palace) and twice we drew from losing positions (Hull - also threw away a lead and Fulham)

20 minutes ago, City18 said:

Only talking about home games here but on 4 occasions we have come back from losing positions at home and won (Blackburn, Bolton league, Bolton Cup, QPR) and once we have come back and drawn (Norwich - also lead)

Last season surprisingly just twice did we come from behind to win (Derby and Palace) and twice we drew from losing positions (Hull - also threw away a lead and Fulham)

Only twice? Wow, felt like there were more games where I was at the edge of my seat last season 

25 minutes ago, Sturny said:

Only twice? Wow, felt like there were more games where I was at the edge of my seat last season 

Indeed...the Hull and Sunderland games were high scoring thrillers! :thumbsup:

The football was more stylish last season IMO, especially in the 4-4-1-1 which combined this with control, but though it sounds cliched, fine margins play a part. Supposing 6 of our woodwork strikes and 1 of our 2 disallowed (wrongly) goals at home had been allowed- it would immediately make our figures, ratio look quite a bit better.

We actually have 13 shots a game at home, roughly...that's not too bad is it? 

We're midtableish for shots on goal at home, but we're joint 19th with Millwall for goals scored at home.

There have been a few games in which we've had only one shot on target but even this can be misleading, because in 2 of those games we have hit the woodwork which obviously not an attempt on target, plus the Millwall game, well as well as woodwork our goal was an own goal which oddly enough isn't deemed to be an attempt on target.

Shall I go on...?

2 hours ago, Red Rag said:

I was being to feel it was only my son and myself being completely bored with the fare on offer this season. Cant remember really enjoying one game this season to such an extent that i asked him does he want to renew for next year. It was only him saying yes that i bought the season cards. If he had said no i would not have had an issue just giving it all up. It does make you think twice when forking out over £800. Just hope i have made a wise choice.

Maybe he’s not as bored as you seem to think he has been..?!

12 hours ago, Bar BS3 said:

I don’t think we’ll finish top 6 either, but I’m enjoying being serious challengers. 

I’m sure, like myself, you’ve supported City through times where we’ve regularly had 7k crowds, maybe 12k at this level. Been sat (or stood) hoping that you might get a soggy poached burger, before you piss against a brick wall, with no roof over it. 

Watching a bunch of hard working donkeys, with little actual talent, whilst never having any real hope of playing against top teams, even though we were in the 2nd tier.

Some look back on those times as “romantic” “proper football” etc. 

I’ll tell you what... I’ll take today’s position and situation all day. Thank you..! 

If we were in Rovers position, or even Stoke’s for that matter, I might agree with you. 

Right now, in our position, I can’t agree with your doom & gloom summary of where/what we are. 

It’s not really where we’re at as a team only how I personally feel at the present... maybe a year off will do me good...

4 minutes ago, KeepUpLino said:

It’s not really where we’re at as a team only how I personally feel at the present... maybe a year off will do me good...

Out of interest- and very few if any have been able to define this yet.

What do you class as "entertaining football". Possession? Control? Gung-ho if risky football? Lots of goals even from not that many shots but very clinical? Near misses but clear that we're pressing?

It truly can be subjective, but interesting to see. There were those who found Barcelona and Spain at their zenith boring or sterile e.g.

3 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Out of interest- and very few if any have been able to define this yet.

What do you class as "entertaining football". Possession? Control? Gung-ho if risky football? Lots of goals even from not that many shots but very clinical? Near misses but clear that we're pressing?

It truly can be subjective, but interesting to see. There were those who found Barcelona and Spain at their zenith boring or sterile e.g.

I find 21 goals in 19 games boring.. I find playing 1 up front at home boring..  We’ve always had a go a home...

2 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I think you'll find the goalmouth action is there or at least more than you would care to state- we're pretty wasteful with it though, we're mid table for shots on  target at home and while it isn't a clear indicator in itself,  throw in 11 woodwork and 2 wrongly disallowed goals- which don't class as shots on target- and matters improve.

Entertainment is subjective. Tell us your metrics- is it dominance of the ball? Is it goals, is it near misses but at least high octane football? There are people who scoff at Barcelona's entertainment value or there were at least during peak Guardiola because they weren't getting it forward quickly enough, because they were so dominant of the ball...because it was very often attack v defence or patient building v defence but the reason for that was because they were that good that teams had to drop deep in the main. Had to.

The game at decent levels has changed, it's a lot more tactical- watch Championship football more widely if you don't already and you will see what I mean in most instances. Leeds v Sheffield United- while doubtless there was a good quality of general play- had one shot on target in 90 mins. Not per side- from both sides.

Not only has the game changed, but we have changed- you would get a lot of goalmouth action at home in League One because we were the dominant side, or one of the dominant forces at least in the League. Now we are not- nobody has been in such a competitive division like this season (Wolves last year and Fulham post Christmas, granted).

You're right to point out the number of times we hit the woodwork and what a difference it could make if a few more went in. In fact City seem to be near the top of the table for woodwork hitting, whichever division we are in, year after year. I remember pointing this out on a thread years ago when we had just hit the post in 4 consecutive games, and was rounded on my many posters that there was no such thing as luck, if there is it evens itself out over the season, hitting the post is just as much a miss as hitting the ball over the stand etc.

It does seem to me we are a fairly unlucky club in that respect. I mean, have things actually evened themselves out by the opposition hitting City's woodwork as often this season as we've hit theirs? No idea, but I doubt it.

What is entertainment to me? First and foremost City winning, but to be entertaining that means winning with some style. Fast, attacking, entertaining play shots on target, goal mouth action, great saves. Running with the ball, tackling the opposition, hard but fair. If we can't win, fair enough, but I must leave the ground feeling my team has tried everything to win the game and has given all they've got.

'Dominance of the ball' means absolutely nothing imo - it's certainly not entertaining for the most part, and can be very boring. City are not Guardiola's Barcelona and shouldn't pretend we can be. When percentage of possession was thought to be worthy of noting I've no idea.

You're right also to identify there would be more goalmouth action in div.1 because we were more dominant as a club. We also played - under DW and Cotts - more expansive football with proper wingers/speed merchants like SM and Christian Roberts who would regularly get the crowd off their feet as they ran at the opposition defence and fired at goal.

I think that's what I mean by entertainment, the number of times during a game I instinctively stand up in excitement. That's very few and far between for me this season - against Ipswich it was just once for the goal, and even that was a bit half hearted if I'm honest.

12 minutes ago, KeepUpLino said:

I find 21 goals in 19 games boring.. I find playing 1 up front at home boring..  We’ve always had a go a home...

Fair enough, an answer- all about opinions. It's 22 I believe.

How much of that is down to tight margins though- hitting the woodwork 11 times in 19 home games takes some doing but do it we have. Near misses and quite a few. Were the goals for Weimann v Swansea or Pisano v QPR rightly disallowed? I'd suggest both were very tight.

One up front at home need not be dull. Leeds use one up front at home and so do Norwich. Now if it's more of a 4-5-1 and the lone striker is isolated then yeah I agree that is poor and we can be a bit prone to that. A lone striker at home though isn't always boring by any stretch- depends on quality and consistency of support. If for example, we had Weimann up top, with Eliasson, O'Dowda and say Brownhill in the current configuration (when Walsh or Smith return, then one of them) consistently getting in close to him and Hunt providing strong support from RB- it's still one striker and at home but suddenly quite exciting. Would go for Weimann over Diedhiou too as the '1' at this time on account of his movement and greater technical ability.

I put the issue down to mindset more than tactics personally- formations can be neutral. Entirely possible to play a negative 4-4-2, indeed at higher levels it can be reactive.

15 minutes ago, KeepUpLino said:

Fair enough. Just an idea, so you don’t regret it later... why not miss the next 2/3 home games. Do something else and see how you feel. See if you miss it, before it’s too late to get a decent choice of seat, if you do decide you can’t just stay away and ignore it. 

5 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

You're right to point out the number of times we hit the woodwork and what a difference it could make if a few more went in. In fact City seem to be near the top of the table for woodwork hitting, whichever division we are in, year after year. I remember pointing this out on a thread years ago when we had just hit the post in 4 consecutive games, and was rounded on my many posters that there was no such thing as luck, if there is it evens itself out over the season, hitting the post is just as much a miss as hitting the ball over the stand etc.

It does seem to me we are a fairly unlucky club in that respect. I mean, have things actually evened themselves out by the opposition hitting City's woodwork as often this season as we've hit theirs? No idea, but I doubt it.

What is entertainment to me? First and foremost City winning, but to be entertaining that means winning with some style. Fast, attacking, entertaining play shots on target, goal mouth action, great saves. Running with the ball, tackling the opposition, hard but fair. If we can't win, fair enough, but I must leave the ground feeling my team has tried everything to win the game and has given all they've got.

'Dominance of the ball' means absolutely nothing imo - it's certainly not entertaining for the most part, and can be very boring. City are not Guardiola's Barcelona and shouldn't pretend we can be. When percentage of possession was thought to be worthy of noting I've no idea.

You're right also to identify there would be more goalmouth action in div.1 because we were more dominant as a club. We also played - under DW and Cotts - more expansive football with proper wingers/speed merchants like SM and Christian Roberts who would regularly get the crowd off their feet as they ran at the opposition defence and fired at goal.

I think that's what I mean by entertainment, the number of times during a game I instinctively stand up in excitement. That's very few and far between for me this season - against Ipswich it was just once for the goal, and even that was a bit half hearted if I'm honest.

Bournemouth did that. They scored nearly a hundred goals by being patient in the first two thirds then looking to penetrate very quickly in the last. It was dominance of the ball by building from the back. 

In regards to your point about Barcelona I am not sure BCFC have attempted to be. But its possible to adopt similar principles that govern elements of the game at any level. Barcelona and Bournemouth and Man City have a similar view of possession in the first two thirds while obviously being worlds apart.

Possession is just a benchmark. If you secure enough of it here it should lead to this outcome here. And if it doesn't … Well that is what all teams are attempting to improve.

4 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Yeah, seems a recurring theme I'd say. Luck or better striking coaches needed, I honestly don't know.

Agreed- I could dig out the stats later but I am quite sure we've been unluckier in this sense than luckier. Don't forget the 4 goals disallowed too- Weimann at Derby, Weimann at Nottingham Forest, Weimann v Swansea and Pisano v QPR. Now 2 were away, but unsure all 4 of those were correct and though it largely (possible exception Derby away) didn't cost us, it definitely could have.

Yeah know what you mean- Stoke at home 2nd half a great example. I also think the few notably bad games- think especially Preston and Ipswich at home- have perhaps magnified the picture of discontent a little. Millwall at home though one shot on target, we should have won tbh, Leeds at home- well vs big sides these things can happen as Sheffield United showed up there on Saturday- 1 shot on target from either side. I do think it is a reflection of the division too...a lot of games can be quite close, quite congested and our tactics have been adjusted accordingly a bit.Our shots on goal and shots on target per game (as an average) are broadly speaking midtable. Our actual goals per game is down there with Millwall which can suggest we're trying a bit- Walsh and Palmer both have potential in running at the opposition stakes, shame the former is injured still and was under-utilised when fit and the latter hasn't adjusted fully yet- or maybe just isn't good enough?

Yeah, agreed. SM especially was great, but the game at this level especially has changed so much in just a decade. Remember when we had Noble behind the striker? That was such a niche move at this level- the bulk of sides played a 4-4-2 in a traditional sense. That season, one foreign coach in the Championship. Playing that way now, especially at this level can come with a big risk- the out and out wingers thing- that is usually in a 4-4-2. Doesn't have to be I guess, 4-5-1 or up supporting a lone striker maybe? I fear we'd get badly exposed in the event of a traditional out and out wingers, going at the opposition- caught on the break or just passed around and before you know it you're in a 4 v 2 situation at the back...

Definitely not Barcelona, never were just using it as an extreme example that there were those who lamented it and possession football. Possession often means control- what Cowshed said basically.

I found it thrilling as well, but the game has changed so much at this level specifically and just generally. The only way I could see it working is a Birmingham or more reactively, Millwall of last year 4-4-2. Concede the ball, but press intensely once they reach your final third or the middle of your half and exploit turnovers of possession- yes you can counterattack quickly but it is still a reactive mindset in the first instance, albeit one with speed and yes quite a lot of shots attempted if done well. If we're talking a traditional 4-4-2 with an attacking mindset from the off and 2 out and out wingers? I'd fear for us.

Game is far more tactical as above. The technology they use, the positioning of players- closing of space. At this level, it's hard to see. Leeds are fun, so too are Norwich and in their own way Sheffield United but all of them have fairly packed central areas, a traditional 4-4-2 in an attacking context with old school wingers is so easy to expose these days. As the game has changed, evolved tactically then I'd say those moments of excitement, getting people off their seats maybe increasingly lacking.

2 hours ago, Sturny said:

Don't believe everything you read on OTIB, it's not the defined opinion of the fans 

I get that, but its not just posters on otib saying they aren't renewing, as I know a fair few (myself included) who haven't renewed over the past 2 seasons.

Equally, on otib and the real world, i'm not aware of people signing up who were casual attendees before.

A few factors I would imagine why some aren't renewing, and to my mind the entertainment side of it isn't as important as other issues, like ******* around with kick off times, and the generally sterile match day atmosphere.

2 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Indeed...the Hull and Sunderland games were high scoring thrillers! :thumbsup:

The football was more stylish last season IMO, especially in the 4-4-1-1 which combined this with control, but though it sounds cliched, fine margins play a part. Supposing 6 of our woodwork strikes and 1 of our 2 disallowed (wrongly) goals at home had been allowed- it would immediately make our figures, ratio look quite a bit better.

We actually have 13 shots a game at home, roughly...that's not too bad is it? 

We're midtableish for shots on goal at home, but we're joint 19th with Millwall for goals scored at home.

There have been a few games in which we've had only one shot on target but even this can be misleading, because in 2 of those games we have hit the woodwork which obviously not an attempt on target, plus the Millwall game, well as well as woodwork our goal was an own goal which oddly enough isn't deemed to be an attempt on target.

Shall I go on...? 

I think recent games have tarnished what hasn't been an awful season tbf. That being said we did struggle to have a shot on target all second half at home to Ipswich and I cannot remember a single shot all game against Leeds the fixture before. It doesn't however take a rocket scientist to see we are very limited when going forward and have arguably 1 out and out goal scorer in our squad this season. I go to football to see goals and exciting games, whereas now I pay to watch sideways passing across the defence.  

I think the money involved in football has changed the focus away from the fact that football is just entertainment and it's a shame to see football going the same way as boxing now where the fans money is not important, it's the tv rights etc that are lining the pockets of those involved in the game. To much focus is now placed on reaching the sacred premier league (which to me seems like a terrible league with unbeatable teams and no respect for the fans) and less about entertaining the fans. I want to support a team that goes for it, plays attacking football and I don't mind if we lose so long as I'm entertained - I don't pay to watch a dull 1 goal victory at home to Bolton, I want to see 5-5 thrillers at home to Hull.

The key difference between last year and this year for me is the uncertainty around our team last season and the knowledge that we could lose 4-0 or thrash someone 4-0 on our day. We don't carry that excitement anymore and I could not see us beating Man United or taking it to Man City with this squad no matter how up for the game the team was. No one in the team excites me anymore - you don't get that sense of excitement when city get a corner anymore, almost assuming Flint was going to nod one in. We just resort to crossing from deep or playing route one football and when this isn't working we have no plan B.

4 hours ago, Riaz said:

It's always entertaining and this team tries to play decent football.

If people think this is bad jeeeeez. They cant have been supporting this club very long!

That's quite an arrogant you can't have been supporting … View. People have used the word boring not bad. Clear difference. I can do that card as well if you watched City for four decades you would know that Bristol City were noted as a team who played with Wingers and 4-4-2. That was attack minded. 

Your use of decent is subjective. Football fans do have preferences. Bristol City could play decent football and be boring.  

11 minutes ago, Cowshed said:

That's quite an arrogant you can't have been supporting … View. People have used the word boring not bad. Clear difference. I can do that card as well if you watched City for four decades you would know that Bristol City were noted as a team who played with Wingers and 4-4-2. That was attack minded. 

Your use of decent is subjective. Football fans do have preferences. Bristol City could play decent football and be boring.  

My comment was sarcastic. Point being... it's been alot worse than it is now, for a lot of the time!

Nope- definitely not the same amount.

From research:

• Nottingham Forest home- One
  • Blackburn home- One
  • Swansea home- One
  • Birmingham home- One

Away probably a few more

• Brentford away- One
  • Birmingham away- One
  • Stoke away- One. They also missed a penalty early doors.
  • Norwich away- Two

Now it gets more interesting when you factor in likely points gained vs points dropped by these.

Let's say it has saved us 9 points them hitting the woodwork. Loss v Nottingham Forest, draws at Brentford, Birmingham and Stoke and a draw at home to Swansea or Blackburn.

Onto us:

• Bolton away- Hit once, 2 points.
  • Middlesbrough at home- Hit twice but I think realistically we lose that game so say cost one goal but 1-2 loss instead of 0-2.
  • West Brom away- Hit once, but probably we don't get back into the game. Cost a goal instead of points.
  • Rotherham away- Hit twice, we win- undeservedly based on first half but we win.
  • Sheffield Wednesday home- Hit in first half at 0-0, I think we go on to win but draw at worst.
  • Hull home- First half, we win anyway. Costs a goal but not points.
  • Stoke home- 3 points, as one was just before their winner and one was during 2nd half siege. 3 points
  • Reading away- Hit once, we conceded 3 goals to their only 3 shots on target...let's say a point.
  • Millwall home- Dominant first half, we hit it in a spell where we also had a number of near misses. 2 points.
  • Derby away- Well it was a draw, but maybe...let's say draw anyway as they're quite strong at home and especially were at that time.
  • Rotherham home- 0 points as we won.
  • Bolton home- 2 woodwork but zero points as we won.
  • Ipswich home- First half, so yeah 2 points- go 2-0 and we win reasonably well.

Conservative estimate suggests 13 points, slightly more adventurous perhaps 15 or 16 points. More importantly though from the entertainment query that is 17 more goals potentially scored. Even at home it is still up to another 11- and we won't even mention as we won those games, the Weimann and Pisano disallowed goals in February.

9 minutes ago, Riaz said:

My comment was sarcastic. Point being... it's been a lot worse than it is now, for a lot of the time!

But more entertaining. Bristol City frequently in the past were not a conservative team.

Post after post describes City of the now as boring, dull, painful  ..

16 minutes ago, Cowshed said:

But more entertaining. Bristol City frequently in the past were not a conservative team.

Post after post describes City of the now as boring, dull, painful  ..

13 shots on goal at home isn't so bad, that's per game averaged out over the season.

I mean it's not fantastic but it isn't so bad either- it's about mid table type numbers. We're not particularly stylish in our play though, a lot of the time that I will agree.

More importantly and worryingly if our finishing was better we'd be higher up the table.

Dont know what people expect. We are watching a high level of football. Every team in this division have quality players.

So what if your not on the edge of your seat every week. Competitive sport isnt always entertaining!

I'm just happy that we are punching above our weight!

5 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

13 shots on goal at home isn't so bad, that's per game averaged out over the season.

It is also not particularly high. City are a conservative team. You point out yourself they are not risk takers and I have myself. I did not write the remarks of dull boring in the thread etc … It is easy to see why they are posted.

Other teams have progressed by being more adventurous. You can intend to excite, play football in other manners. And that for many is something people want in their football. 

27 minutes ago, Cowshed said:

It is also not particularly high. City are a conservative team. You point out yourself they are not risk takers and I have myself. I did not write the remarks of dull boring in the thread etc … It is easy to see why they are posted.

Other teams have progressed by being more adventurous. You can intend to excite, play football in other manners. And that for many is something people want in their football. 

It's mid table numbers- 13th, 14th...very midtable. Still if we had a more normal goals/woodwork/shots ratio we would have scored a few more goals at home.

I agree some more flair and adventure would be nice. We can take risks but it's not exactly been routine this season. My favoured setup would be a 4-3-3, Walsh returning would help with this and enable us to play both Eliasson and O'Dowda from the off with a bit more security in behind which might enable a few more risks to be taken.

I actually read the stats wrong, I'll try again.

11th for Most Shots on Target per game at home. 4.47

For those conceded, it's Joint 7th with Hull. 3.53.

In terms of actual shots per game as a whole at home.

Joint 13th with Birmingham in terms of shots taken/attempted- 13.63.

9th for those conceded- 11.16.

So around 10th then, top half to midtable for underlying shots numbers.

I don't find City,dull and painful to watch and yes there have been some highly entertaining games. Probably the overriding emotion though has been frustration. Our overly cautious coach doesn't play to strengths or allow us to take advantage when we have the upper hand.We usually seem like a side firing on three cylinders, never quite "letting go" and running amok.

6 hours ago, Loon plage said:

I get that, but its not just posters on otib saying they aren't renewing, as I know a fair few (myself included) who haven't renewed over the past 2 seasons.

Equally, on otib and the real world, i'm not aware of people signing up who were casual attendees before.

A few factors I would imagine why some aren't renewing, and to my mind the entertainment side of it isn't as important as other issues, like ******* around with kick off times, and the generally sterile match day atmosphere.

There are 10 of us who sit together who haven't renewed, we've decided to do the more enjoyable away games next season.... Like many have said on here, dire atmosphere with nothing really to cheer about.... The cotts season was immense, maybe that's the reason why we're all so bored these days..

4 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

I don't find City,dull and painful to watch and yes there have been some highly entertaining games. Probably the overriding emotion though has been frustration. Our overly cautious coach doesn't play to strengths or allow us to take advantage when we have the upper hand.We usually seem like a side firing on three cylinders, never quite "letting go" and running amok.

The word your looking for is BORING

3 minutes ago, KeepUpLino said:

The word your looking for is BORING

Nope, I deliberately chose frustrating. We can see the potential, we can see what's holding it back, Lee apparently can't.

I was bored rigid by the tappa-tappa-lose possession football under O'Driscoll.  I'm not at current games.

12 hours ago, Abraham Romanovich said:

This is exactly how I feel and after15 years have decided not to renew, the football is dull and the whole experience of attending has become a chore. 

My solution is to become a member and pick and chose the games I wish to attend 

We'll miss your sardonic humour. Come back soon.

6 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I mean it's not fantastic but it isn't so bad either- it's about mid table type numbers. We're not particularly stylish in our play though, a lot of the time that I will agree.

More importantly and worryingly if our finishing was better we'd be higher up the table.

But how many of this thirteen are anywhere near being on target?

Less than FIVE PERCENT!

Have I been entertained? Depends which way I look at it. I’m enjoying being at the right end of the Championship playing for the play-offs and our winning run was entertaining - we didn’t always play brilliantly during that run but there was that sense that we could move up a gear to get the result (e.g. QPR at home). Also some of our players have been a joy to watch (Webster, Kalas, Palmer in his first couple of games). 

On the other hand, some of our performances have been dire, especially the last three home games. That Ipswich game in particular was like watching paint dry. The ponderous build ups and endless sideways passes are dull and we do seem to be very predictable.

One of the problems is that football matches as a whole are becoming less entertaining as teams get better at grinding out results. Leeds are a prime example - they are a side capable of good football but who spent most of the second half at Ashton Gate strangling the life out of the game. 

Overall I’m pretty satisfied so I suppose that counts as entertained, albeit frustrated with our playing style at times. This season has been decent enough compared to some of the horror shows I’ve witnessed from City since my first season on the early 1980s. There is a sense that we are a club on the up, which hopefully will continue. 

Archived