IGNORED

MLS fans

Cowshed

Hmm, a little awkward as we sing the first one in the first video.. possibly with a hint of irony at the American original and certainly benefits from “you c**ts!” At the end.

not sure there’s much wrong here really, crowds all over the world are fairly different and being one of the more newly developed leagues they are bound to seek inspiration from around the world, whatever makes them happy.

ive actually always rather liked the ‘I believe that we will win’ chant!

The atmosphere is dreadful all around the stadium and it’s great that they try their best to get the place going and can’t imagine how bad it would be if they didn’t but.... *tin hat on* these chants are no worse than some of the chants that come from S82. I cringe every time they sing “Bris-tol-ci-ty ooooh”

6 hours ago, WolfOfWestStreet said:

Like Bristol City can slag off atmosphere abroad, we're ******* dreadful make no mistake. Glass houses. 

I watch MLS from time to time, and I'm not sure if it's down to how they record the matches, but the crowds always sound so...flat. The cheering is a constant drone, and when a player scores they either turn the crowd down, or no one celebrates.

On the commentary side, it's still a young league, and they simply do not have anyone with either experience at the highest level or anyone with genuine passion for the sport. Many of their pundits and commentators are failed American Football or Hockey commentators, and it shows when they refer to the keeper as the "goaltender", and other weird Americanisms. Like the UK, it's entirely down to who broadcasts the matches, too. Some broadcasters couldn't give a shit about football, and it shows when you see what they produce. They also have some very level-headed pundits that got to the root of why they failed to qualify for the World Cup - youth football is unbelievably expensive, the USSF did a SFA and ****** the team up, and they're bungling a new generation of legitimate talent.

On the chants, they're legitimately cringeworthy, but I think that's because they're yet to find an identity. They're a weird mix of standard American sports bullshittery, and pretending they're a European soccer team with ultras and tifos. It hasn't helped them much that so many European teams go over to America for their pre-season, attracting some of the worst in fans to interact with impressionable yanks. I remember the last time West Ham played over there, and some Inter City Firm wannabe tried starting a fight in gun country...

6 hours ago, Aipearcey said:

The atmosphere is dreadful all around the stadium and it’s great that they try their best to get the place going and can’t imagine how bad it would be if they didn’t but.... *tin hat on* these chants are no worse than some of the chants that come from S82. I cringe every time they sing “Bris-tol-ci-ty ooooh

Not frequenting AG these days but are they doing this one 

Always found yank chants totally bizarre tbh, it's like any musicality they had was left on the ship when reaching the promised land. It sounds so monotone.

But like WOWS says, at least their willing to give it a go and trying to create an atmosphere, which is more than can be said for a lot of mice we have down the gate. Standing can't come back soon enough!

It's just a different culture, and when you hear those chants you hear the influence of American Football and Basketall teams' chants.  They are all like that.

My US team is Portland Timbers, although sadly they've never been playing when I've been over there. That's the problem with a short season. 

Attendances continue to edge up though. Atlanta FC averaged 53,000 last season!  You're getting native Yanks as well as Latinos and European expats at games these days.

One surprising thing is when you read about crowd trouble in North American "soccer". Toronto-Ottawa and New York-New Jersey derbies have been particularly "tasty" apparently.

Archived