IGNORED

Adam Johnson...

Steve Watts

2 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

No, he’s just come out of Nike .

2 hours ago, Steve Watts said:

Released from prison today....  His release coincides with ADIDAS relaunching the Predator boot.....coincidence......? ?

2 hours ago, Fordy62 said:

Fila jokes are inappropriate here. 

Um Bro’s can you not?

I am in no way condoning what Johnson did............but if this had taken place in Germany or France, he would not have commited an offence.  It's a matter of perspective and interpretation.  I wish the young lady involved a happy and healthy future, and hope that it does not have a detrimental effect on the rest of her life. It is just interesting to note that different cultures and societies not so very far from the UK have a different viewpoint...........despite the Soaraway Sun's righteous indignation?

1 hour ago, maxjak said:

I am in no way condoning what Johnson did............but if this had taken place in Germany or France, he would not have commited an offence.  It's a matter of perspective and interpretation.  I wish the young lady involved a happy and healthy future, and hope that it does not have a detrimental effect on the rest of her life. It is just interesting to note that different cultures and societies not so very far from the UK have a different viewpoint...........despite the Soaraway Sun's righteous indignation?

I said on another thread; the killers of Baby P got less time 

so did many many people who actually had full on SEX with someone underage - especially women who slept with underage boys  

Not condoning what he did in any way before anyone tries to say I am - he deserved A punishment, but his punishment seems disproportionate to me. 

1 hour ago, maxjak said:

Interesting comments. Good to have some contextual information. After all, one shouldn’t go into a debate Under Armoured and without knowing all the facts. 

3 hours ago, maxjak said:

It's a matter of law and a young man's decision to break the law. 

The law elsewhere is utterly irrelevant. 

Some countries still stone women. 

14 hours ago, CotswoldRed said:

I do not understand how the law elsewhere can be Utterly Irrelevant?, i find that blinkered and ill considered.  However,  you are of course fully entitled to your opinion, unless of course opinions elsewhere are Utterly Irrelevant?

9 minutes ago, maxjak said:

I do not understand how the law elsewhere can be Utterly Irrelevant?, i find that blinkered and ill considered.  However,  you are of course fully entitled to your opinion, unless of course opinions elsewhere are Utterly Irrelevant?

I think it's a case of him being brought up in a society knowing full well that the act he committed was illegal and yet he chose to do it in full knowledge that it was illegal.

You can't go do Mexico, smuggle drugs across the border and get off a prison sentence on the basis that you may have only got a warning had you been caught with a small bag of weed when pulled over driving into Gretna in the UK.

15 hours ago, CotswoldRed said:

Well it's not utterly irrelevant is it?

The culture and society of places like Saudi Arabia is far more different from ours than Germany, which is relatively similar.

You don't think what other countries do has any influence on our legal approach?

17 minutes ago, City18 said:

I think it's a case of him being brought up in a society knowing full well that the act he committed was illegal and yet he chose to do it in full knowledge that it was illegal.

You can't go do Mexico, smuggle drugs across the border and get off a prison sentence on the basis that you may have only got a warning had you been caught with a small bag of weed when pulled over driving into Gretna in the UK.

Ok fair point........However, Why Gretna?, do you know something about......driving, weed and Gretna?   Sorry  silly diversion!!     The point I am making,  is merely,  that laws elsewhere are NOT utterly irrelevant.......and it seems ignorant and narrow minded not to acknowledge that.

1 hour ago, nebristolred said:

Well it's not utterly irrelevant is it?

The culture and society of places like Saudi Arabia is far more different from ours than Germany, which is relatively similar.

You don't think what other countries do has any influence on our legal approach?

Eh? It’s relevant how? Why should Germany’s age of consent have any influence on our legal approach? Am I missing something here?

5 minutes ago, Gakoe said:

Eh? It’s relevant how? Why should Germany’s age of consent have any influence on our legal approach? Am I missing something here?

I’m not saying it should. But of course other countries laws have some bearing on our own law-making.

If we were ever to consider drug law reform for example, it would be down to the successes of it in Portugal, Canada, California, etc.

Im not saying we should copy Germany. But to dismiss it as utterly irrelevant is not true

1 hour ago, maxjak said:

Ok fair point........However, Why Gretna?, do you know something about......driving, weed and Gretna?   Sorry  silly diversion!!     The point I am making,  is merely,  that laws elsewhere are NOT utterly irrelevant.......and it seems ignorant and narrow minded not to acknowledge that.

Just first town on the England Scotland border that came to mind ?

I appreciate that, but in this case I think it being legal in Germany shouldn't be used as a means of reducing the severity if what he has done. I don't mean to cause offense and don't want to suggest that you are in anyway defending him, just highlighting a counter argument. But by highlighting the fact that some cultures see what he did is perfectly acceptable and legal takes away from the fact that he knew it was wrong and I'd have to say I think the UK is in the right in this instance with locking him up for what he did.

Abusing a position of power to groom a minor into engaging in sexual acts with him is absolutely disgusting and I fully agree with the law at the moment that you are nieve and vulnerable at that age and I would be sickened if she was my daughter. Blokes a pervert and deserves his sentence. 

I think any law that doesn't see this is behind the times and should take UK lead in changing their laws in this instance 

17 minutes ago, nebristolred said:

I’m not saying it should. But of course other countries laws have some bearing on our own law-making.

If we were ever to consider drug law reform for example, it would be down to the successes of it in Portugal, Canada, California, etc.

Im not saying we should copy Germany. But to dismiss it as utterly irrelevant is not true

But it is true, it’s completely irrelevant. The age of consent in Germany has absolutely no relevance here. Why are you trying to make out it does? 

12 minutes ago, Gakoe said:

But it is true, it’s completely irrelevant. The age of consent in Germany has absolutely no relevance here. Why are you trying to make out it does? 

I don’t know about @nebristolreds views, but it is weird that so many european laws are uniform, whereas others  vary from country to country. 

Having said that, it’s even stranger in the USA where the age of consent varies from state to state, and they have had to introduce “sex tourist” legislation to stop people moving from state to state to have sex with 14 or 15 year olds. So if you were born in Alabama you can, but if you are visiting from New York, you can’t.

Even our own laws make no sense, you can have sex at 16, but not watch someone doing it until you are 18, for example. 

Archived