IGNORED

Cauley Woodrow

Mr X

18 minutes ago, hodge said:

....beat me to it! Dave did rate him highly for some reason....

42 minutes ago, Mr X said:

Listening to Talksport this afternoon and Cauley Woodrow was saying that he's hoping to get in the England squad in the next couple of years! ? Can't see it happening myself! 

Tiddlywinks squad? Or perhaps Robbored could get him fast tracked up the bowls pyramid to international level....

He has played for the highest level youth sides and is still young. Why would he say otherwise? Reckon he’d do well here at the moment and would be perfect cover and competition for Fam. Having a solid season in L1 and still think once he finds a home he will be a top championship striker

11 hours ago, Mr X said:

Listening to Talksport this afternoon and Cauley Woodrow was saying that he's hoping to get in the England squad in the next couple of years! ? Can't see it happening myself! 

When I was younger I could have played for England but my paper round got in the way!

He’s 24, and even I think England opportunities have passed him by, especially when you look at the crop younger than him.

He didn’t play for the u21s for no reason, and there is a very decent Champ striker in there if he works hard enough.

He just wasn’t given a chance here, strange seeing as we signed him on loan with an option to purchase too.  I know Reid’s emergence hampered that, but we lost Diedhiou for a third of the season, and ended up knackering our players because people like Cauley wasn’t given minutes.  He scored 2 plus 1 assist in the equivalent of 4 1/2 games!!

I’m sure Cauley would’ve been a better option than Eisa, who is the same age (Eisa a tad older I think)...I doubt Barnsley paid more than £1.5m for him either!!

46 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

He’s 24, and even I think England opportunities have passed him by, especially when you look at the crop younger than him.

He didn’t play for the u21s for no reason, and there is a very decent Champ striker in there if he works hard enough.

He just wasn’t given a chance here, strange seeing as we signed him on loan with an option to purchase too.  I know Reid’s emergence hampered that, but we lost Diedhiou for a third of the season, and ended up knackering our players because people like Cauley wasn’t given minutes.  He scored 2 plus 1 assist in the equivalent of 4 1/2 games!!

I’m sure Cauley would’ve been a better option than Eisa, who is the same age (Eisa a tad older I think)...I doubt Barnsley paid more than £1.5m for him either!!

CW would have been a better option that Eisa , simply because LJ gave him a few chances , where as Eisa has been a completely pointless signing (so far). He may not have been given a long run , which 2nd string striker has been recently, but I just didn't see anything in him that would make LJ play him. Perhaps game time at L1 level will kick start his career , he may well prove a decent Championship striker in time , although I think England is a massive stretch.

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

A good illustration of why signing Eisa was an incredibly odd decision that becomes more odd as the weeks and games, go by!

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

I agree. Both Woodrow and Eisa fall into the “wasteful signings” category that has been a feature of recent seasons. It’s very odd how we sign players (and in Eisa’s case for quite a hefty fee) who seem to be very quickly deemed to be not good enough. 

11 hours ago, Offside said:

I agree. Both Woodrow and Eisa fall into the “wasteful signings” category that has been a feature of recent seasons. It’s very odd how we sign players (and in Eisa’s case for quite a hefty fee) who seem to be very quickly deemed to be not good enough. 

Upon signing Eisa I wrote on this forum: "My work colleague coached him as a lad with London Schoolboys and took him for his first club. Greenwich Borough who took him as an adult (basically bust this term) get a lifesaving £100k from the deal.

As to quality he's apparently 'useful' but my mate would be astounded were he to cut it at Championship level."  After which most on this forum castigated me for writing such.

But what do I know, other than my mate (who knows a thing or two about coaching at lower level) and Eisa's first club punched massively above their weight again today in securing a place at Wembley in the FA Vase final?

In short: the reason the Eisas and Woodrows of this world are quickly deemed not good enough at Championship level is because they never were, aren't and never will be. So go ask Ashton, Johnson et al why they frequently get it so wrong? 

On ‎23‎/‎03‎/‎2019 at 22:38, BTRFTG said:

Upon signing Eisa I wrote on this forum: "My work colleague coached him as a lad with London Schoolboys and took him for his first club. Greenwich Borough who took him as an adult (basically bust this term) get a lifesaving £100k from the deal.

As to quality he's apparently 'useful' but my mate would be astounded were he to cut it at Championship level."  After which most on this forum castigated me for writing such.

But what do I know, other than my mate (who knows a thing or two about coaching at lower level) and Eisa's first club punched massively above their weight again today in securing a place at Wembley in the FA Vase final?

In short: the reason the Eisas and Woodrows of this world are quickly deemed not good enough at Championship level is because they never were, aren't and never will be. So go ask Ashton, Johnson et al why they frequently get it so wrong? 

to be fair - Isthmian League to L2 to City has been done before in the form of Adomah and Bolasie.

Some you win, some you don't. C'est la vie

On 23/03/2019 at 06:01, Offside said:

Wasteful signings. At least we only paid wages and a loan fee for Woodrow. 

Adelekun, Elliason, Elisa, Moore now there is some wedge. 

However selling Webster will cover that. 

Some ya win some ya don’t. 

3 minutes ago, REDOXO said:

Wasteful signings. At least we only paid wages and a loan fee for Woodrow. 

Adelekun, Elliason, Elisa, Moore now there is some wedge. 

However selling Webster will cover that. 

Some ya win some ya don’t. 

Dont know what the ratio is of good to poor signings, but we dont have that many who are worth much to cover the costs of the poor ones!

10 minutes ago, simon uk said:

Dont know what the ratio is of good to poor signings, but we dont have that many who are worth much to cover the costs of the poor ones!

Exactly. 

However Odowda has value as does Brownhill right now. 

Diehdou about what we gave 

Elliason see above. 

Who else is there we bought in the last three seasons that has a current resale above purchase?

probably Taylor but who else? Any offers 

6 minutes ago, REDOXO said:

Exactly. 

However Odowda has value as does Brownhill right now. 

Diehdou about what we gave 

Elliason see above. 

Who else is there we bought in the last three seasons that has a current resale above purchase?

probably Taylor but who else? Any offers 

Brownhill odowda kelly and webster are the obvious ones, and we would probably see our money back on fam. 

Taylor i wouldnt expect a championship club to go for him, just not enough goals as a striker, and most league 1 clubs would find it tough to meet his wages? Theres a lot of deadwood built up over the last few years who just havent made much of an impact

28 minutes ago, simon uk said:

Brownhill odowda kelly and webster are the obvious ones, and we would probably see our money back on fam. 

Taylor i wouldnt expect a championship club to go for him, just not enough goals as a striker, and most league 1 clubs would find it tough to meet his wages? Theres a lot of deadwood built up over the last few years who just havent made much of an impact

In some respects I agree. 

The point from Ashton and LJs view is players ready to stake a claim next season. Obviously Vyner, although not a signing, shifting Others would allow Kelly to play at CB for example Da Silva to switch left Elliason to get a start and fingers crossed Adelakun Eisa among others come good. 

The point is they need a higher ratio of winners as the only money we made has been with Coterills team so far.

edit!

Above I meant Engvall Not Elliason but we didn’t even touch on the lad from Everton!

On 23/03/2019 at 09:50, Davefevs said:

Yeah, I dont think Abraham, Rashford and Greenwood will be worrying about him!

Archived