IGNORED

The Run In

real_bristol

Calling all statisticians. I know there’s a few on here who look into this at this time of year and just wondering if anyone’s had a go at comparing our run in with the others’ to see what points total we need and are likely to get?

A quick search tells me that Leicester made the playoffs with 68 points although didn’t get promoted but Blackpool did with 70. Average required is apparently 73 and Wolves missed out on 6th one year with 78.

1 hour ago, archie andrews said:

Be tenth if lucky.....we don't want it

Who doesn't want it? 

Really interested to hear if you think the players wouldn't want to play against the best in front of sold out crowds. Or if LJ wouldn't want to test himself against the likes of guardiola and klopp or if SL doesn't want the tens of millions and the national coverage that would come with the premier league 

2 minutes ago, JBFC II said:

Who doesn't want it? 

Really interested to hear if you think the players wouldn't want to play against the best in front of sold out crowds. Or if LJ wouldn't want to test himself against the likes of guardiola and klopp or if SL doesn't want the tens of millions and the national coverage that would come with the premier league 

Some people simply can’t see that not being able to get something and not wanting something, are two completely different situations. 

2 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

Some people simply can’t see that not being able to get something and not wanting something, are two completely different situations. 

It's seriously ridiculous to say anobdy associated with a football club doesn't want Premier league football. It's the pinnacle of football in this country for many players, clubs and supporters so the idea that we 'don't want it' is ridiculous

26 minutes ago, JBFC II said:

It's seriously ridiculous to say anobdy associated with a football club doesn't want Premier league football. It's the pinnacle of football in this country for many players, clubs and supporters so the idea that we 'don't want it' is ridiculous

I know, but it’s the sort of stupid, ill thought out comment that people put on Facebook and then get carried off as a conspiracy amongst those who don’t have enough foresight to think for themselves and actually view the situation for what it is. 

Here's the City fixtures, which look difficult to say the least:

Sheffield United A

Middlesbrough A

Wigan H

West Brom H

Aston Villa A

Reading H

Sheff Weds A

Derby County H

Millwall A

Hull City A

With City now on 55 points, I can see us picking up 4 wins, 2 draws, 4 losses =69 points. 

2 hours ago, reddogkev said:

Sheffield United A

Middlesbrough A

Wigan H

West Brom H

Aston Villa A

Reading H

Sheff Weds A

Derby County H

Millwall A

Hull City A

With City now on 55 points, I can see us picking up 4 wins, 2 draws, 4 losses =69 points. 

7 wins should do it . A stroll in the park .

I don’t think the club want it. For example the recent transfer window , a striker to get us over the line. A token enquiry into assombalonga, without being reckless the club could have made sure a top striker with championship experience  was signed.  

A lot of fans seem to be happy with , we’ll I didn’t expect us to be near the play offs , we’ll we were 6 points ahead of the chasing pack !!

if we did get to the prem , I’m sure most of the team wouldn’t be good enough, therefore most would be looking for another club ( away from Cosy city ) 

steve wouldn’t pay the wages , so we’d miss out on targets anyway. 

If we went up trying to be overly cautious of ffp , not paying wages we’d end up with lowest ever points total. 

30 minutes ago, kivsy said:

I don’t think the club want it. For example the recent transfer window , a striker to get us over the line. A token enquiry into assombalonga, without being reckless the club could have made sure a top striker with championship experience  was signed.  

A lot of fans seem to be happy with , we’ll I didn’t expect us to be near the play offs , we’ll we were 6 points ahead of the chasing pack !!

if we did get to the prem , I’m sure most of the team wouldn’t be good enough, therefore most would be looking for another club ( away from Cosy city ) 

steve wouldn’t pay the wages , so we’d miss out on targets anyway. 

If we went up trying to be overly cautious of ffp , not paying wages we’d end up with lowest ever points total. 

First off, if the things I read are true (it is the internet after all). Asombalonga could have been a ploy by M'boro to see what the interest was like, and how much they could get. After all, he went straight back in the team.
Plus it's not just a case of picking up a Championship standard striker and stay within FFP.

As for players not being good enough, that happens at every club that gets promoted. Some players would step up, some would struggle, it's the nature of the beast.

SL and the club would have about £100m added to the budget overnight. We would probably be amongst the lowest payers in the Prem, again that's what happens, but look at Burnley. They went up, spent virtually nothing, relegated , Carried on building, went up again and were , 2nd time around, in a better position to compete.

As for the lowest points, who's to say if we spent £100m we wouldn't struggle, look at Fulham. 

SL want's the club to be self sufficient , best way to do that is get top flight football. Players want to play in the top flight, and for many promotion would be the only way. Actually getting there depends on a lot of things falling into place, I thought we were close. I don't think we will make it, but I want to finish the season strongly , we have a tough run in but so do others. 
I don't think it's lack of desire , or effort , hopefully Sheff U will see an upturn in form, but for that one I'm not hiding my breath.

20 hours ago, reddogkev said:

Sheffield United A

Middlesbrough A

Wigan H

West Brom H

Aston Villa A

Reading H

Sheff Weds A

Derby County H

Millwall A

Hull City A

If we win the first 8 of those, we can stop worrying about picking up points in our 2 games in hand... 200.gif

On 24/03/2019 at 16:02, reddogkev said:

Sheffield United A

Middlesbrough A

Wigan H

West Brom H

Aston Villa A

Reading H

Sheff Weds A

Derby County H

Millwall A

Hull City A

Will need 4pts from the next 2 games first. Birmingham and Ipswich we're pinnacle in our season and we fell well short for different reasons.

9 hours ago, CiderCraig said:

If we win the first 8 of those, we can stop worrying about picking up points in our 2 games in hand... 200.gif

If we win the first 8 of those you will have to pick me up!

On 24/03/2019 at 16:26, Redmycolour said:

Players, as some know they won't get a new contract as there not good enough for PL, therefor will be looking for new clubs at end of the season, that's why there not playing at there best, ie playoffs, 

Absolute rubbish, in that case every single team would have exactly the same problem, come on you need to do better than that

1 hour ago, Drew Peacock said:

Ridiculous.

So, there's 4 players in a team heading for promotion, knowing there contracts are not being renewed, they know they will be without a club at the end of the season, and there going to help that club to get promoted, and nothing on the end of it for themselves, without a club,? and that's Rediculous, 

25 minutes ago, Redmycolour said:

So, there's 4 players in a team heading for promotion, knowing there contracts are not being renewed, they know they will be without a club at the end of the season, and there going to help that club to get promoted, and nothing on the end of it for themselves, without a club,? and that's Rediculous, 

Only if their contract ends in the summer.  How many of our players' contracts end this summer?

And if the manager thinks players aren't pulling their weight I would expect him to bomb them out ASAP no matter what division we are in.

They will have nothing but a promotion bonus, a promotion on their CV and a host of clubs who want to sign a player who was part of a team successful in winning promotion to the Premier League. Of course they will have a team.  Your notion is ridiculous.

2 hours ago, Drew Peacock said:

Only if their contract ends in the summer.  How many of our players' contracts end this summer?

And if the manager thinks players aren't pulling their weight I would expect him to bomb them out ASAP no matter what division we are in.

They will have nothing but a promotion bonus, a promotion on their CV and a host of clubs who want to sign a player who was part of a team successful in winning promotion to the Premier League. Of course they will have a team.  Your notion is ridiculous.

And this is what I mean, as stated before on this forum, if someone on here doesn't agree with your comment, you get abused or called silly names, everyone has there own opinion, that's mine, 

There are only two players in our first team squad who are totally out of contract this summer:

Stephan Marinovic

Eros Pisano

In Pisano’s case he publicly wants to stay and I’m sure Marinovic would want to also. 

There are two players out of contract but where we have an option to extend by a year (assuming there was no trigger deadline):

Frank Fielding

Niki Maenpaa 

There are three players who are in contract by virtue of us triggering the option of a one year extension:

Bailey Wright

Callum O’Dowda

Matty Taylor

So I don’t think contract situation would be a reason to down tools.   

Got to love the 10 game run in til the end of the season. The simplest team talk LJ will ever do, just pin the fixtures on the dressing room wall along with the league table and ask everyone - how much do you want this?

Other than Hull, every game has something riding on it. Knockout games against all the major playoff rivals, and the games against Wigan, Reading and Millwall all potentially affect their continued stay in this division.

No games against mid table deadwood like Stoke or Blackburn, every game could and should have an edge, a desire from either team to win.

I'd rather have 10 games like that, than 10 games where nothing can be achieved or decided. All in our hands.

Bring it on for a rollercoaster end to the season.

On 24/03/2019 at 14:09, Redmycolour said:

I've said that many times on here, but put me down for saying it, 

Plenty of us have said this but some people don't want to accept it's a realistic outcome.

I'm already braced to end 11th again and for then the arguments about progression to rear up.

Personally, I don't see us progressing any further than we have under LJ but I can also see us doing far worse under other managers so we're kind of damned if we do and damned if we don't. 

3 hours ago, Redmycolour said:

Hold my beer;

a player with a promotion to the Prem on his CV is going to be in a much better position to negotiate with a new club than one without. 

Not to mention promotion bonuses etc paid by his current club .

Archived