IGNORED

Yeovil Town

Redandwhitescarf

13 hours ago, RedM said:

Must admit I always find him very hard to listen to, uninspiring. I think his long history with the club has kept him there, especially after his recovery from that terrible accident, fair play for that. Perhaps they felt they owed him? As you say I too agree that his time there should have been over a while ago.

Spot on, a sense of loyalty because of his time as a player.

5 hours ago, Wanderingred said:

I would watch Yeovil drop out of the football league without an ounce of sorrow or sympathy. They would be more than happy to celebrate the demise of Bristol City, so there is no reason to wish them well imho.

That may be the case now but it wasn’t back in their non league days....I went to one of their FA Cup ties, away at Reading in 1999, with a few mates who follow Yeovil and a Burnley fan and a Forest fan who came along for a day out. The Yeovil fans included a few supportive City ditties in their repertoire that day and it was quite common back then for them to do so apparently...my fave that day was “Ran from the City, we know you ran from the City...”

39 minutes ago, Leveller said:

Generally speaking, I like to see most other South West clubs do well, to improve the profile of the region. And Yeovil is Somerset’s only league club.

Exactly my feeling. I dislike football's London/North-West powerbase. The more South-West league clubs the better. (With one exception ;) )

1 hour ago, Red-Robbo said:

Exactly my feeling. I dislike football's London/North-West powerbase. The more South-West league clubs the better. (With one exception ;) )

I don’t even care if the exception are fairly healthy, provided they’re a good thirty places below us in the league. 

21 hours ago, Portland Bill said:

There downward spiral started the day GJ got them to the Championship, ( hear me out!) he did the same at Yeovil as he did here. He spent every penny that club had on players and loans, but put absolutely no foundations in place for the future. He had got rid of the whole youth system at the club, there was no reserve side, and he bought in about a dozen loans. 

Everyone knew they couldn’t survive in the Championship, but instead of steadying the club and putting a plan in place for the future ,GJ gambled and went hung ho. 

One season in the Championship for Yeovil, and since then a downward spiral. 

Just remember the 4-5 seasons after he left City, average players earning big wages and manager after manager that tried to sweep up GJ’s mess. 

Yes, GJ gave us and Yeovil a couple of very good seasons, but when he leaves a club it takes several years for that club to get itself right. 

One of the best posts I have read on here for a while. GJ vastly has been over rated by our fans. I largely blame our downfall from 2010-2014 down to his poor transfer business and over the hill signings, that and the fact he ruined talented players like Trundle, Noble and McIndoe. He took out flair out of the side

I can’t find it in myself to hate Yeovil purely for beating Forest in that play off season that we won auto. Finished off Calderwood good and proper. 

Archived