IGNORED

England game at the Gate?

BCFC Rich

3 hours ago, Tinmans Love Child said:

There is a difference between being realistic and being defeatist, and our lack of history of finishing in the Top 8 in the Top flight would back up my realism wouldn’t you say?

my argument was only that ashton gate would stop us properly competing as a top 8 club IF we were to get to the top flight, and Leicester doing it with a 30,000 seater stadium well we all know that will probably never happen again, whether we like it or not the more successful clubs are the ones that generate the most money and I think the potential is here to fill a 40,000plus stadium given a competitive team to get behind.

1 hour ago, phantom said:

Raheem Sterling and Callum Hudson-Odoi condemned the "unacceptable" racist abuse of England players during their 5-1 win in Montenegro.

Racist chanting was directed at a number of England players, including Danny Rose, during the Euro 2020 qualifier in Podgorica.

Manager Gareth Southgate said the incidents will be reported to European football's governing body Uefa.

"It's unacceptable," he added. "I heard abuse of Rose when he got booked."

He told BBC Radio 5 Live: "There's no doubt in my mind it happened. I know what I heard. We have to make sure our players feel supported, they know the dressing room is there and we as a group of staff are there for them.

"We have to report it through the correct channels. It is clear that so many people have heard it and we have to continue to make strides in our country and trust the authorities to take the right action."

What happened?

After only six minutes, BBC Radio 5 Live commentator Ian Dennis said he heard racist chants when Tottenham left-back Rose was in possession. BBC football correspondent John Murray also said he heard the chanting throughout the game and spoke to pitch-side photographers who described the abuse the England players received as "disgusting".

Sterling scored England's fifth goal in the 81st minute and celebrated by putting his hands to his ears, a gesture he later said was a response to the racist abuse.

In injury time Rose was booked following a strong challenge on Aleksandar Boljevic, with more racist chants aimed at the 28-year-old.

A huge night for Hudson Odoi making his first start just 18 years old, just a young lad starting out in the game and this is what he said after the game. Makes you feel sick.

“I don’t think discrimination should be anywhere,” Hudson-Odoi told BeIN Sports. “As I said, we’re equal, we have to play a fair game and enjoy the moment but when you’re hearing stuff like that from the fans it’s not right, it’s unacceptable and hopefully Uefa deal with it properly because when I went over there and heard it, they were saying monkey stuff.

7 minutes ago, Super said:

A huge night for Hudson Odoi making his first start just 18 years old, just a young lad starting out in the game and this is what he said after the game. Makes you feel sick.

“I don’t think discrimination should be anywhere,” Hudson-Odoi told BeIN Sports. “As I said, we’re equal, we have to play a fair game and enjoy the moment but when you’re hearing stuff like that from the fans it’s not right, it’s unacceptable and hopefully Uefa deal with it properly because when I went over there and heard it, they were saying monkey stuff.

And as ever, UEFA will do sweet **** all about it, and effectively condone this sort of behaviour.

Should be a stadium ban for the perpetrators and behind closed doors games for Montenegro for a year.

36 minutes ago, ZiderEyed said:

And as ever, UEFA will do sweet **** all about it, and effectively condone this sort of behaviour.

Should be a stadium ban for the perpetrators and behind closed doors games for Montenegro for a year.

Having looked into this sporadically, UEFA are tougher on this kind of thing than our own FA. Perhaps not tough enough but that's another debate.

FIFA otoh...they are indeed the toothless ones in terms of multinational/global/European Governing bodies for this.

Alleged racist chanting at Millwall-Everton- probably less granted- what's happened there?

Alleged anti-semitic chanting by Chelsea fans- admittedly crossing over with anti Tottenham sentiment- at Watford and Crystal Palace over Christmas.

Croatia have had behind closed doors. So too have CSKA Moscow.

In terms of individual FA's, believe Inter got 2 Serie behind closed doors games after racial abuse of Koulibaly around the turn of the year.

Our own FA and PL? Do what exactly...much like FIFA.

Last night should undoubtedly be punished appropriately- Stadium banks for perpetrators and behind closed doors for Montenegro, but to say UEFA do nothing isn't strictly true- our own FA and PL and FIFA,  do less still- strong words aside.

Stadium bans for racism aside, which we are very good on, what action do our Governing bodies take?

Mind you, Chelsea chanted it in Hungary too in Europa League- no case to answer, as per UEFA's take.

11 hours ago, BCFC11 said:

This. 

Will never understand the people who say that the players should just ignore the racist chanting aimed in their direction, how is that making them stop?? Think it was (not sure) Prince Boateng whilst in Italy walked off in protest at the abuse aimed at him yet was carded by the ref! Fair play to Sterling for giving it back.

To be clear, the commentator didn't say anything of the sort. It was pretty evident at the time that he didn't realise it had happened. But yes, fair play to Sterling, and for his and Southgates comments afterwards.

12 hours ago, BCFC11 said:

This. 

Will never understand the people who say that the players should just ignore the racist chanting aimed in their direction, how is that making them stop?? Think it was (not sure) Prince Boateng whilst in Italy walked off in protest at the abuse aimed at him yet was carded by the ref! Fair play to Sterling for giving it back.

And yet, only a few weeks ago at Chelsea, Sterling was being highly praised on here for ignoring the abuse and walking away.

3 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Having looked into this sporadically, UEFA are tougher on this kind of thing than our own FA. Perhaps not tough enough but that's another debate.

FIFA otoh...they are indeed the toothless ones in terms of multinational/global/European Governing bodies for this.

Alleged racist chanting at Millwall-Everton- probably less granted- what's happened there?

Not that either should be condoned, but weren't the Millwall fans chanting 'I'd rather be a P*k*y than a Scouse' rather than the racist 'P*ki'?

BBC News now reporting everyone heard the abuse except the Montenegro coach.People like him although not joining in the chants are a massive part of the problem and need to be dealt with seperately from the main group of supporters.They need to stand up and condemn this behaviour.

24 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

Not that either should be condoned, but weren't the Millwall fans chanting 'I'd rather be a P*k*y than a Scouse' rather than the racist 'P*ki'?

Unclear- don't know if it has been proven either way...similar to the Chelsea fans who abused Sterling- was it the racist "B**** c***" or the tribalistic but nonetheless offensive "M**c c***".

Chelsea issue, not a lot done about it- suppose you can't punish a club for 3 fans, but their other stuff...?

Millwall did get charged by FA, but we'll see- bet it'll be a fine as it has been down the years.

17 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

It doesn’t look like a 10-15 yard gap from the back of the net to the front of the stand in the pic below? The Atyeo is the obvious ‘white elephant’ of the stadium though, our capacity is absolutely fine for now, but if we wanted to expand, putting an extra tier on the South Stand would just make the Atyeo look even more insignificant....

5A351A2F-E010-4E43-A410-5B86B91C8372.jpeg

Wouldn't look as daft as this though...Image result for aviva stadium photos

6 hours ago, Paul Turnip said:

To be clear, the commentator didn't say anything of the sort. It was pretty evident at the time that he didn't realise it had happened. But yes, fair play to Sterling, and for his and Southgates comments afterwards.

I said nothing about the TV commentator tbf, I listened to the last 10mins of the game on Talksport and that’s where I heard one or two on there saying that Sterling should of ignored the chants, but tbf whoever else was on there was backing up Sterling’s actions.

5 hours ago, The Horse With No Name said:

And yet, only a few weeks ago at Chelsea, Sterling was being highly praised on here for ignoring the abuse and walking away.

They may well of been, and that’s their opinions but from my point of view that ignoring them does nothing to stop these arseholes.

• Admin

As much as Sterling has suffered a lot of flack over the years from fans, things like this often go under the radar....

Raheem Sterling is paying for 550 pupils from his old school to attend the FA Cup semi-final between Manchester City and Brighton at Wembley on Saturday.

Students from the Ark Elvin Academy in London will also meet the England winger at City's training complex in Manchester on Thursday.

Sterling, 24, was raised near Wembley after moving from Jamaica aged five.

He studied at Copland Community School, which was renamed in 2014.

Sterling, who has scored 19 goals for City this season, is subsidising ticket and transport costs for pupils to get to and from the match.

Sterling has made charitable donations in the past. In 2017 he made a "substantial" undisclosed contribution to the fund set up after the Grenfell Tower fire.

Archived