IGNORED

Wrestling at the colston hall

Oh Louie louie

Now this was entertainment.

The crowd was better than the wrestlers.

The most violent gang there was a gaggle of women aged 50 plus who stubbed cigs out on wrestlers legs.

There was one guy in the gang i think his name was austin and he wore a hat with a fake fruitbowl on.

One day there was a melee and the fruit on his hat went everywhere.

Anyone have any memories of the wrestling?

1 hour ago, Oh Louie louie said:

The most violent gang there was a gaggle of women aged 50 plus who stubbed cigs out on wrestlers legs.

There was one guy in the gang i think his name was austin and he wore a hat with a fake fruitbowl on.

My memories are watching it on a Saturday lunchtime with Big Daddy and Giant Haystacks!

2 hours ago, Oh Louie louie said:

Often went with an older cousin in mid 60's … (gawd, I was only about ten/eleven, school nights too!  no wonder I'm a bit thick :laugh: ) ..

Remember once taking a wrestling program to school from the previous night, was showing it to a couple of other kids during lessons when the teacher spotted us... was called to front of class to show 'everyone what was so interesting' and was promptly put into a playful headlock by Mr Bennett (the teacher). Was in the final year of primary school at time so 10/11 was about right.. teachers were more fun in those days I guess.

Those Colston Hall wrestling nights were good fun, and all the 'stars' that came on IT V's World Of Sport (with Dickie Davis before the Football results/Pools check on Saturday afternoon) used to appear 'live' at the Colston Hall during their weekly tours of the country, it was amazing seeing how wound up and crazy, otherwise normal people, in the audiences used to get, little old grannies etc really used to go for it! :laugh:.  

It was streets ahead of the over hyped Americanised version WWF style that most people are aware of nowadays, just like 'real' football back then the stars weren't pampered millionaires, things were 'grittier' and more authentic (in a fake way of course ;)) It was all very 'real' for many of the audiences and  fans though!

PS.. Loved the old Colston Hall (& venues like it around the country), the top music gigs etc were great, affordable and accessible big big stars appeared frequently ..

Good times, tch, where did it all go wrong eh? 

(pps.. Just heard the Llandroger Trow pub is about to close too, another bit of Bristol tradition soon to be lost forever! Sad )                

3 hours ago, Oh Louie louie said:

When I was a nipper in the early 90s we were WWF obsessed and I had one of my birthday parties there.

It was hilarious and wild. There was this woman who used to go every week apparently. She sat ringside and used to get up and bang the ring loudly during matches. She had 2 security guards to herself most of the time!!!

• Admin
5 hours ago, Oh Louie louie said:

That sounds like a guy known as Mad Eli, he was a real eccentric type who used to sit ringside to whip up the crowd etc

Used to get front row seats at Weston every THursday night as a kid to watch, had a friend that his dad was part of the security team at the Winter Gardens (where the wrestling was held) so was lucky enough to meet the wrestlers after their bouts. Giant Haystacks (Martin) was one of the funniest people I met, him and Dave Findlay (who incidently now works for the WWE in America) were always on a wind up to the others

My mum used to watch the wrestling Saturday afternoons, Jackie Pallo , Mick McManus, Kendo Nagasaki ... it was never the same for me when I realised it was ‘ fixed ‘ ( probably the same year that I found out Father Christmas didn’t exist ! ) 

It didn’t stop us kids copying their moves though.

4 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

My mum used to watch the wrestling Saturday afternoons, Jackie Pallo , Mick McManus, Kendo Nagasaki ... it was never the same for me when I realised it was ‘ fixed ‘ ( probably the same year that I found out Father Christmas didn’t exist ! ) 

It didn’t stop us kids copying their moves though.

World of Sport's wrestling coverage from some exotic location like Bracknell leisure centre was a staple of my dad's Saturday when I was a kid. He'd go to the pub at lunch, come back, eat, pass-out in His chair (but woe betide anyone who tried to change the channel to Grandstand), and yet somehow wake up in time for the classified check.

12 hours ago, One Team In Keynsham said:

World of Sport's wrestling coverage from some exotic location like Bracknell leisure centre was a staple of my dad's Saturday when I was a kid. He'd go to the pub at lunch, come back, eat, pass-out in His chair (but woe betide anyone who tried to change the channel to Grandstand), and yet somehow wake up in time for the classified check.

Simpler times. 

9 minutes ago, WhistleHappy said:

You could be talking about The Gate a few decades ago...  before the seats went in.

Well I remember going to AG as a kid as well, though to be honest I used to get bored. It wasn't until I was about 12 / 13 that I really enjoyed going and having fun.

Archived