IGNORED

New Badge and Kit Announced (Merged)

handsofclay

11 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

I bet Isombard Kingdom Brunel was a gashead anyway. I mean, who isn’t..?! And he’s not even been around since 1982 anyway..! 

Occured to me immediately after posting that the three non city things between my post and the one I quoted were related through IKB.

But definitely a gashead, he designed a boat, and guess who used boats? Pirates! (I've been working on my gas logic) So he must be their most famous fan.

3 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

So should we put Del Boys flat on the crest? Can see that from around the ground.

Let's get David Jason and Nicholas Lyndhurst for the promotional material for it.

This time next year we'll be millionaires.

That would be so much more suited to a rovers promotional vidoeo..! 

2 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

Occured to me immediately after posting that the three non city things between my post and the one I quoted were related through IKB.

But definitely a gashead, he designed a boat, and guess who used boats? Pirates! (I've been working on my gas logic) So he must be their most famous fan.

I bet he used to hire Irene regularly too. In Plymouth, or America, obviously. I’m pretty sure she’s got less to do with Bristol than the 2 unicorns on the cities coat of arms..! 

1 hour ago, Bar BS3 said:

What has the bridge actually got to do with our club though..?

id like the bridge on there, personally, but it hardly “has to be part of our badge” 

How many football clubs actually have a landmark from their City on their club badge..? Some, but very, very few..!

All the Championship Club's badges are ranked here and some have landmarks or historical imagery

https://talksport.com/football/efl/488432/every-championship-club-badge-ranked-from-worst-to-first-as-hull-city-get-a-new-crest/

4 minutes ago, RedLionLad said:

All the Championship Club's badges are ranked here and some have landmarks or historical imagery

https://talksport.com/football/efl/488432/every-championship-club-badge-ranked-from-worst-to-first-as-hull-city-get-a-new-crest/

Which ones have an easily identifiable image related to their clubs, other than the club’s nickname..? 

4 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

Which ones have an easily identifiable image related to their clubs, other than the club’s nickname..? 

You would need to know the history of the club I guess. Rotherham have a Windmill, Forest have a tree.....but the others would need a bit of explaining to most people.

3 minutes ago, RedLionLad said:

You would need to know the history of the club I guess. Rotherham have a Windmill, Forest have a tree.....but the others would need a bit of explaining to most people.

I think that Forest having a tree is embarrassing to the point of being funny, even if there’s nothing actually wrong with the badge itself. 

Are Rotherham confusing themselves with Rotterdam..?! 

Surely it’s only a significant image if those from elsewhere know what it’s about...?

Anyway, like I said, most are just an image of their nickname. Like ours now is... so I can see exactly why we’ve gone down that road. 

4 minutes ago, RedLionLad said:

Palace has the Crystal Palace incorporated..

palace.jpg

2 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

I don’t even know what “the Crystal Palace” is..! What is it..? 

Also, I don’t know if you’ve noticed, but they are called “Crystal Palace FC”

We aren’t called “Clifton Suspension Bridge FC”

3 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

Also, I don’t know if you’ve noticed, but they are called “Crystal Palace FC”

We aren’t called “Clifton Suspension Bridge FC”

Yeah, just think.....there could have been a local team called Smelly Gasworks FC.

25 minutes ago, RedLionLad said:

In the Premier League, you have Everton and Crystal Palace.

20 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

Crystal Palace is an Eagle. Nickname. 

God knows what Everton’s actually is..?!

Looked it up. Hardly monumentous..! I tried copy & pasting a picture of the tower, but couldn’t. It’s hardly “magnificent”..!!

Here is the description....

Central to Everton FC’s famous crest is the magnificent tower or bacon emblazoned in the centre. The tower has stood on Everton brow since the 18th century and originally housed drunks and petty criminals overnight before they were taken before local trials.

10 minutes ago, RedLionLad said:

Yeah, just think.....there could have been a local team called Smelly Gasworks FC.

If there was, I bed they’d have called themselves “Gasheads” or something equally as ridiculous..! 

6 minutes ago, Rudolf Hucker said:

Thanks Dave. 

Don’t you mean “thanks Rodney”...?!

21 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

Quiz question: (I’m sure there must be some) 

Which clubs have their home town/City’s most famous landmark as a prominent feature on their club badge..?

As you don’t know what Crystal Palace was I’d ask for the wiki links too.

.https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Crystal_Palace.

And to get you started on your quiz question:  Liverpool.

10 minutes ago, RumRed said:

As you don’t know what Crystal Palace was I’d ask for the wiki links too.

.https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Crystal_Palace.

And to get you started on your quiz question:  Liverpool.

Is the Liver bird really that prominent a Liverpool landmark..? But yes, that’s one. I’m not saying there aren’t any, but I don’t think there are many. 

5 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

Is the Liver bird really that prominent a Liverpool landmark..? But yes, that’s one. I’m not saying there aren’t any, but I don’t think there are many. 

I lived in Liverpool for 6 years, that’s their suspension bridge.  The ‘Graces’ are a world heritage site (until Liverpool screw that up with shite developments nearby).

6 minutes ago, RumRed said:

I lived in Liverpool for 6 years, that’s their suspension bridge.  The ‘Graces’ are a world heritage site (until Liverpool screw that up with shite developments nearby).

Yet Liverpool FC were founded in 1892, with the Liver buildings being built between 1908-11..? 

38 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

Quiz question: (I’m sure there must be some) 

Which clubs have their home town/City’s most famous landmark as a prominent feature on their club badge..?

PSG have the Eiffel Tower.

Also, it's not football but Golden State Warriors basketball actually have a suspension bridge on their badge.

200px-Golden_State_Warriors_logo.svg.png

15 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

Yet Liverpool FC were founded in 1892, with the Liver buildings being built between 1908-11..? 

The Cormarant was always a symbol of the City as I understand it, maybe the crest did proceed the physical representation on the building.  I reckon you’re correct on that.

edit: Just checked and you are completely correct, the club crest definately preceeded the building.  Which leads to the question why aren’t there massive Robins on each corner of the Radisson Blu?

7 hours ago, Roe said:

Meh.  I quite like the actual robin design, and it looks really smart on the black training gear they've shown. 

The 1894 bit seems weird and out of place and I dislike the whole circular badge design.  I mean, it genuinely looks almost identical to the Brentford one so all this rubbish about wanting it to be instantly recognisable is nonsense.

Also agree with people saying the bridge should've been incorporated in it.

Disappointed.

Having slept overnight on it, I think disappointed is exactly the word and you've nailed the reasons here.

It's not that it's particularly badly executed, by City's standards it at least shows a level of logic and good intention, but it's just such a missed opportunity with too many flaws that a truly strong design company (and not JL play time) would have fixed,

You are exactly right it is a clone of Brentford having talked about being instantly recognisable. They also talked about unique to the club and the area, then didn't use the bridge. It's so typical of City to come out with all this hyperbole but fail to honour it.

The 1894 bit IS weird, to any designer it clearly wasn't the best place to put it, it breaks the balance of the design, and is so fussy underlining the 18 too. Trouble is the ideal position was even more Brentford, you can see how we ended up settling for this.

I read the mixed positive reviews as this being a superficial success. It isn't a bad job, there is something to like about it, but it just lacks the true timeless quality of having been relentlessly proofed to perfect every last detail. It's still got a "that'll do" feel to it.

And I hate to be personal, but that is JL all over. His inexperience is reflected in our standards  You can imagine him being already enthralled and proud of a design that a truly commercial venture would still be sending back for much more attention to detail. 

Has it achieved all the original aims of the project? Do all the details work together? What can we simplify? Willing to bet JL had sketched out the Robin, this looks like a designer refinement of a sketch, not a designer led review from scratch of actual ideas.

Where are the alternative designer interpretations of our themes? There aren't any. Our inputs must have been weak as I've seen better concepts from fans. If there was a designer, he's obviously just been given a JL sketch of a Robin and the Brentford crest. 

And that is what is so sad, as no doubt we now live with this badge for many years having not made the most of the opportunity. JL just got a hard on and we were done - the first embroidered new badge tells me all I need to know about his eye for quality.

In summary, a lot of people saying that "it could have been a lot worse" are exactly right and that is typical of our standards. It could also have been a lot better, but we are not relentless about quality because things like this at City are run like school projects.

Archived