IGNORED

New Badge and Kit Announced (Merged)

handsofclay

11 hours ago, The Wild Bunch said:

So much better with the Suspension Bridge on it.

Whilst I wanted the bridge somehow looking at the clothing again it looks like everything has the logo and not the badge (the robin and circle (can’t call it a ball as it’s not !!) 

And I don’t see how the bridge works in the logo.

Basically they have gone Bristol Bears on us as we think we have a new badge when in fact the real branding of Bristol City will be the logo - quite clever if I’m honest.

12 hours ago, Eddie Hitler said:

SmartRewardingDutchshepherddog-small.gif

**** me. Modern day football...

A tweet from our club inviting us to a fun filled night at a local pub, shrouded in secrecy.

Hold on. There are - wait for it - some players there too.

The tension increases. The start is delayed. Posts galore online - shit - I’ve added one ?

It’s a shirt. In red. It’s a badge. With a graphic designers take on a logo. Or even the dreaded modern day word.... brand.

I couldn’t care less - but he does I hear you say, he’s posted on here - what our superstars wear or the badge on their shirt.

This smacks of an increasingly common Emperor Lansdown’s New Clothes.

All I want is to see consistently entertaining and winning football. That’s all. Is that really too much to ask?

And at least the bloke in the image seemed to have something enjoyable being done to him by his mate in the hat whilst he was waiting ?

Maybe I’m mellowing in my old age but I don’t mind it. I would have preferred to keep the badge we have on the away kit this season but that was never going to happen in this era where everything is about how things look in digital form and on social media. My first reaction was that it could have been a whole lot worse. 

The Robin on the training kit looks better than the actual badge for me. That actually looks really good. 

7 hours ago, exAtyeoMax said:

How did it go down in the Robins? What was the reaction?

Max it was busy, but not surprising as the Ashton Drive bar was closed pre-reveal for the players etc and to set up the storyboards etc. The main bar was where the reveal took place. Reaction was good, as you’d expect. I think with this kind of thing it’s always something to take away and think about though. 

One thing is clear. You can’t please everyone. I think it would look much better as just the Robin emblem; ditch the date and the words. 

Driving to the airport this morning and on a wall outside Parson Street (not an official advertising board AFAIK) there was a 4ft version of the below logo. I’m wondering if the club are going to do a fair amount of “guerilla” marketing and we’ll see variations of the logo pop up all over the city. If so, could be smart...

7EA159C2-4E4B-4623-B74D-1DBD1EBE12C7.jpeg

6 hours ago, RedSkin said:

This is like ******* Brexit.  People wanted the Robin back but not that ******* Robin!!

Ha yes very well put.

It doesn't even look properly like a Robin.

Something modelled on this would have been so much better IMO.

image.jpeg.10986a14030a4020a0ee428b8a2f3c98.jpeg

7 hours ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Badge design is an entirely subjective matter with a wide range of preferences; some like traditional, some like modern, some like intricate, some like minimal.

The poll on the other thread shows that more people like it than dislike it; that’s not a bad result for the club, particularly on Day 1 when people haven’t had a chance to get used to it or establish any affection for it.

Given the consensus view is favourable, perhaps your overtly negative view (what a surprise!) is the one that is more “out of touch”.

Well the reaction on social media doesn't seem very positive 

Maybe I am out of touch . If preferring tradition to a new corporate look is being out of touch....then yep, I accept that comment 

Roll on the days when we are called something like the Bristol Robins ........?

2 hours ago, Olé said:

Having slept overnight on it, I think disappointed is exactly the word and you've nailed the reasons here.

It's not that it's particularly badly executed, by City's standards it at least shows a level of logic and good intention, but it's just such a missed opportunity with too many flaws that a truly strong design company (and not JL play time) would have fixed,

You are exactly right it is a clone of Brentford having talked about being instantly recognisable. They also talked about unique to the club and the area, then didn't use the bridge. It's so typical of City to come out with all this hyperbole but fail to honour it.

The 1894 bit IS weird, to any designer it clearly wasn't the best place to put it, it breaks the balance of the design, and is so fussy underlining the 18 too. Trouble is the ideal position was even more Brentford, you can see how we ended up settling for this.

I read the mixed positive reviews as this being a superficial success. It isn't a bad job, there is something to like about it, but it just lacks the true timeless quality of having been relentlessly proofed to perfect every last detail. It's still got a "that'll do" feel to it.

And I hate to be personal, but that is JL all over. His inexperience is reflected in our standards  You can imagine him being already enthralled and proud of a design that a truly commercial venture would still be sending back for much more attention to detail. 

Has it achieved all the original aims of the project? Do all the details work together? What can we simplify? Willing to bet JL had sketched out the Robin, this looks like a designer refinement of a sketch, not a designer led review from scratch of actual ideas.

Where are the alternative designer interpretations of our themes? There aren't any. Our inputs must have been weak as I've seen better concepts from fans. If there was a designer, he's obviously just been given a JL sketch of a Robin and the Brentford crest. 

And that is what is so sad, as no doubt we now live with this badge for many years having not made the most of the opportunity. JL just got a hard on and we were done - the first embroidered new badge tells me all I need to know about his eye for quality.

In summary, a lot of people saying that "it could have been a lot worse" are exactly right and that is typical of our standards. It could also have been a lot better, but we are not relentless about quality because things like this at City are run like school projects.

Olé.... You have out done yourself sir

Brilliantly put and exactly how I feel.

"That'll do..." Is the best way to describe how we seem to operate as a club 

For what it's worth...I really like it.

Especially just the Robin design on the leisure wear, which I think looks really smart. Especially in black and Marl grey.

Less is more.

Reminds me more in simple design to Charlton Athletics Crest.

The majority of us old en's don't like change...but this is modern, and aimed at the kids and younger generation, so they can relate to it.

Never been a fan of Football related Leisure wear...but a jacket/ hoodie or Gilet with that simple Robin design on, is in line with a Polo player or Crocodile. It's not in your face, but over time will instantly be recognisable.

Within a season, all other football fans will know when they see that Robin, that it represents Bristol City.

You will never please everyone...but I think they've done a good job.

18 minutes ago, Andy082005 said:

Well the reaction on social media doesn't seem very positive 

That’s usually the case though. People go out of their way to comment if they dislike something, but if they like something they either smile and move on, or they like the post. 1,000 likes on 1 tweet, vs 213 comments (which some are positive / neutral) 

57 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

Driving to the airport this morning and on a wall outside Parson Street (not an official advertising board AFAIK) there was a 4ft version of the below logo. I’m wondering if the club are going to do a fair amount of “guerilla” marketing and we’ll see variations of the logo pop up all over the city. If so, could be smart...

7EA159C2-4E4B-4623-B74D-1DBD1EBE12C7.jpeg

It looks like it is riding a unicycle ffs!

19 minutes ago, spudski said:

For what it's worth...I really like it.

Especially just the Robin design on the leisure wear, which I think looks really smart. Especially in black and Marl grey.

Less is more.

Reminds me more in simple design to Charlton Athletics Crest.

The majority of us old en's don't like change...but this is modern, and aimed at the kids and younger generation, so they can relate to it.

Never been a fan of Football related Leisure wear...but a jacket/ hoodie or Gilet with that simple Robin design on, is in line with a Polo player or Crocodile. It's not in your face, but over time will instantly be recognisable.

Within a season, all other football fans will know when they see that Robin, that it represents Bristol City.

You will never please everyone...but I think they've done a good job.

This is true, agree. But:

There are Robins to the north of us, Robins to the east. It'seems just onw more robin (which not everyone will know is a robin) I'm not sure the distinction you go on to say will be ours will materialise

Archived