IGNORED

New Badge and Kit Announced (Merged)

handsofclay

42 minutes ago, Three Lions said:

@zidereyeed where do you think the got tgose idesa from? fans. all done by fans years ago, banner drops, sticker bombing stencilling murals projections all done by fans years ago. it would have been brilliant if they and involved fans in it. 

Oh completely, and I'd rather they did, but fair play to them for actually doing something like that. Fairly sure we're the first club that did sticker bombing too.

@redraw where do you think these street art ideas came from? City fans. nobody else was doing it before in Bristol and the UK. fans who have at times sat down with people at the club and suggested they do very very similar or the same with fans. the biggie with fans has been left out. no poppycock . you may not realise how far some ideas went  one got as far as reps from Taunton cider where Robins murals would be up round the City featuring Bristol City and drink up thy cider. It obviously didn't happen but this  was part of loads of ideas along with bring back the Robin putting fans bang in the centre of promoting the club. yes the ideas have been "stolen" 

8 minutes ago, Three Lions said:

@redraw where do you think these street art ideas came from? City fans. nobody else was doing it before in Bristol and the UK. fans who have at times sat down with people at the club and suggested they do very very similar or the same with fans. the biggie with fans has been left out. no poppycock . you may not realise how far some ideas went  one got as far as reps from Taunton cider where Robins murals would be up round the City featuring Bristol City and drink up thy cider. It obviously didn't happen but this  was part of loads of ideas along with bring back the Robin putting fans bang in the centre of promoting the club. yes the ideas have been "stolen" 

Buying advertising hoarding space and sticking the club badge on it is not street art......what city fans do/have done and what the club are doing are completely different.

The club has not claimed it as "guerrilla" marketing, someone on here described it in that way

1 hour ago, tin said:

Not many clubs have a landmark of their city, you’re right. But why do we have to copy other clubs when including the bridge would set us apart from other clubs and be a nod towards history? 

Admittedly, the ‘90s robin and bridge design has nostalgic value for me so I’m biased. But I think the new badge could’ve been far, far better - as others have shown. 

I agree that it could have been better. It’s ok though. 

They've taken a big risk here IMO of getting absolutely panned on merchandise sales as, from what I have seen/heard, the majority don't like it or are not planning to buy anything with it on.

What I don't understand is, after all this 'consultation' with the fanbase, why they didn't whittle it down to a few final choices and then put them to a poll for the whole fanbase to vote on? Then no one could complain as it would have been chosen by us, the fans.

Seems an obvious thing to do to me?

you will argue the toss redraw but what is on bath road by Arnos vale well City fans used the same site for free. if their paying fans could do it for nothing. things here could be done with fans. Its been suggested again and again by fans and in person to people at the club to include supporters. Jon lansdown mentioned bring back the robin. it was a campaign with a lot of effort behind ideas. sadly the bloke at the front sadly passed away so its personal but as somebody who helped out I will tell you the club have been copying fans ideas for years. except the big one DO IT WITH FANS.  I will leave the thread now before I say something I regret. 

17 minutes ago, Agard Days Night said:

I am happy to bet they will sell an absolute shitload of replica shirts and other merch too.

You’re probably right and it’s most likely a knee jerk reaction by most.

I still think a vote on a final few designs would have been a good idea though.

1 hour ago, KingLear said:

They've taken a big risk here IMO of getting absolutely panned on merchandise sales as, from what I have seen/heard, the majority don't like it or are not planning to buy anything with it on.

What I don't understand is, after all this 'consultation' with the fanbase, why they didn't whittle it down to a few final choices and then put them to a poll for the whole fanbase to vote on? Then no one could complain as it would have been chosen by us, the fans.

Seems an obvious thing to do to me?

There is the problem. Bristol Sport doesn't want to be seen to be dictated to by the fans. It's like having a loss of power.

55 minutes ago, The hand of RO'D said:

I'm on the fence with the badge but I think it looks good on the shirt. 

This will be the first shirt I have bought in about 5 seasons 

Shirt itself looks great, very tempted to get one for the first time since 14/15. Just think the badge would have been a lot better if the bridge had been incorporated like they even had in their designs, it makes the distinction of Bristol clear.

3 hours ago, phantom said:

Along the Bath Road by Arnos Vale there are wooden signs that have appeared with the logo on - pretty smart

If someone is passing later with a screwdriver . . .. 

The word was "Similar" not identical

Do swords and robins look similar?

The ones I've seen don't.

9 minutes ago, hodge said:

Shirt itself looks great, very tempted to get one for the first time since 14/15. Just think the badge would have been a lot better if the bridge had been incorporated like they even had in their designs, it makes the distinction of Bristol clear.

So it's your fault we haven't been promoted yet!

I've really come around to this in the light of this morning.  It is so much better than the city crest and I believe that concerns will melt away given time.  I like the insinuation from advertising billboards that the Robin itself is also easy to use on it's own in marketing.  Yes, other variations may be your preference right now but this is what we have and on that shirt it looks great. Definitely picking one up.

I'm going to put aside any concerns on the type of Robin we have and celebrate the fact the club listened and we have a sleek, modern Robin at all.  I'd also recommend people rush out to buy the current away shirt as that robin is iconic and the over-sized badge on the white shirt will be something to treasure in years to come.

• Admin
19 hours ago, Newquay-Red said:

'Hey man, can I copy your homework?'

'Yeah sure, but make it slightly different so that nobody knows you copied'

Screenshot 2019-03-26 at 7.04.50 PM.png

Screenshot 2019-03-26 at 7.00.02 PM.png

1 hour ago, JamesBCFC said:

Do swords and robins look similar?

The ones I've seen don't.

This was what I was referring to @JamesBCFC

34 minutes ago, phantom said:

This was what I was referring to @JamesBCFC

But you can apply that to any point of any badge.

Club X has their badge as a shield shape, so we never should have done with the old one.

Club Y has the date at the bottom so we can't do that.

Etc.

A club or 2 having a red circle doesn't mean no-one else should ever use it.

Anyone else surprised this hasn't made it onto BBC Sport website / Sky Sports website yet / other big media outlets?

I mean apart from a solitary ITV article and Talksport 'club crest ranking' article I can't find a thing online other than local reports such as Bristol Post.

When Brentford / Leeds new badges came out the media were all over it.

I know we're little old Bristol City but still...

• Admin
33 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

But you can apply that to any point of any badge.

Club X has their badge as a shield shape, so we never should have done with the old one.

Club Y has the date at the bottom so we can't do that.

Etc.

A club or 2 having a red circle doesn't mean no-one else should ever use it.

Which is why I said SIMILAR, not indentical

anyway time to move on, on this 

37 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

Personally, I don't mind it but would prefer if the bridge was incorporated into the circle / ball at the bottom, that would make it unmistakably Bristol.

A857F25D-16AB-4A81-A85B-DE3310FB8C58.jpeg

Like that.

Sad but true, we’re stuck with the official one for the next decade or so. Tolerating it, is the best I can manage.

Let’s hope the savings of not employing top people on the badge redesign means more available  to be spent on top people on the playing side. 

I think many of you are over estimating how recognisable a line drawing of the suspension bridge would be to people outside of City fans and residents of Bristol.

Yes, to us it is unmistakably Bristol but to most others without a link to the city it will just look like A N Other bridge on a football badge.

The dead giveaway that it’s Bristol would be the word Bristol at the top of the crest IMHO.

Archived