IGNORED

New Badge and Kit Announced (Merged)

handsofclay

37 minutes ago, Lew-T said:

When will the social media team change it to the new one?

Another thing, the coat of arms badge was in and around the stadium before. Will they plaster the new one around Ashton Gate? 

Is there a date that this badge is officially Bristol City FC?

Not quite used to this?‍♂️

My guess will be the badge change will be as 2019/20 officially becomes the current season.

Which by my reckoning is a movable date- the start of preseason.

We will start to see more of the new branding, as that’s what it is like it or not, from mid June after the concerts have cleared and they can change everything in the stadium. It’s surprising just how much has to be changed, merchandise, email and stationary headings and any literature the club puts out as well as staff clothing, not only the players wear the badge.  Not an overnight thing but there will be a cut off date after which the current badge will no longer be allowed to be used. 

Didn't mind the new one when it was shown but just thought it lacked something Bristol about it, definitely think the one someone knocked up with the bridge version is better and would like to see us change again the following season as merch etc is probably all sorted with the announced badge.

F47202D6-1338-4DAD-AFEB-441ACF06BF3A.thumb.jpeg.4696d6e054c1b5afeaf2bdbdf60b9c3e.jpeg

• Admin
19 minutes ago, Sydneybcfc said:

Didn't mind the new one when it was shown but just thought it lacked something Bristol about it, definitely think the one someone knocked up with the bridge version is better and would like to see us change again the following season as merch etc is probably all sorted with the announced badge.

It won't be changing for a long time,  "a lot" of money has been spent already on the rebranding and as @RedM mentions above there is a heck of a lot of work still to be done

1 hour ago, phantom said:

It won't be changing for a long time,  "a lot" of money has been spent already on the rebranding and as @RedM mentions above there is a heck of a lot of work still to be done

Exactly. This will be the badge for a good few years now.

19 hours ago, Agard Days Night said:

Liked the new badge. Still like the new badge. Suspension Bridge has nothing to do with the club so no real reason for it be on the badge. 

....so what does a robin have to do with the club? It's RED!!!  Dohhh...might as well have a pillar box, or a "stop" traffic light!  A pretty childish logo, IMO.

And, with so many other clubs claiming to be "The Robins", its hardly as unique and distinctive of Bristol as JL claimed, in the launch.

At least the Suspension Bridge is an instantly recognised, iconic symbol of Bristol - and can be seen at the stadium approach, and from the top of the Lansdown Stand.

2 hours ago, Sydneybcfc said:

F47202D6-1338-4DAD-AFEB-441ACF06BF3A.thumb.jpeg.4696d6e054c1b5afeaf2bdbdf60b9c3e.jpeg

Thats a bit better....

On 29/05/2019 at 12:47, Robbored said:

It’s not about who likes or dislikes it - it’s designed to be instantly recognised as Bristol City. Other clubs have their own logo. Forest, Brentford, Charlton, Baggies, Brum ect al.......

The previous heraldic badge could have been almost any team.

The rugby did exactly the same with the Bear logo - instantly recognisable as Bristol Bears,

If that was the case, it would simply just be "Bristol City" in words and there would've been no need to change it from the previous design... All logos/badges need to be captivating

9 minutes ago, everreddy said:

And, with so many other clubs claiming to be "The Robins", its hardly as unique and distinctive of Bristol as JL claimed, in the launch.

I think what the club are trying to do is to take ownership of the Robins nickname once and for all.

Yes, other teams use the nickname, but we are clearly the biggest team of those who do, and with a bit of clever marketing then I think the club believe that we can become the only club people think of when talking of the Robins. 

A quick look on Wikipedia provides the following list of clubs that are known as the Robins:

Altrincham
Bracknell Town
Bristol City
Charlton Athletic
Cheltenham Town
Carshalton Athletic
Evesham United
Ilkeston
Swindon Town

I don't think its much of a stretch to claim that we are the biggest club on that list. The only one that comes close is newly promoted Charlton, and they don't really use that nickname as they are known as the Addicks.

So, basically, if we are having issues with people confusing us with Altrincham, Bracknell, Cheltenham, Carshalton, Evesham, Ilkeston or Swindon then we have bigger problems than a badge :dunno:

1 hour ago, elhombrecito said:

I think what the club are trying to do is to take ownership of the Robins nickname once and for all.

It's absolutely what they are trying to do. In the same way that Man City have tried to own "City" with their horrendous abomination of a catchphrase/nickname "Cityzens".

3 hours ago, Sturny said:

If that was the case, it would simply just be "Bristol City" in words and there would've been no need to change it from the previous design... All logos/badges need to be captivating

Which is exactly the point...........:facepalm:

On 29/05/2019 at 18:33, Furious Custard said:

Liked it. Still like it. Some of the bridge options shown during the development were better. It does the job. But won't be buying a shirt until we ditch the Dunder sponsorship. 

I like it. might actually buy a shirt! Thats a fine name BTW Furious...?

7 hours ago, WolfOfWestStreet said:

Someone gave me only what could be described as a beer mat with the new badge on it, so stuck it next to my computer in my office.

Been looking at it now for a couple of months and do think it's actually pretty smart. 

Non city fans have commented on it saying they like it. 

How can they tell it’s Bristol City though if it hasn’t got the bridge on?

Still underwhelmed and a bit of an indictment of modern times that someone with a scrap of paper and box of crayons in 1975 can produce a more iconic badge than a professional design studio with computer aided design in 2019!

Bit too much like the Sheffield Weds 1990’s ‘Owl’ for me. Doesn’t give us a strong and unique brand identity which I’m sure would have been the first objective of the design brief. Incorporating a stylised  Suspension Bridge would have achieved that very simply.

The (unnecessary) date also looks like a clumsy, awkward after-thought. 

No more than a 5/10 ‘missed opportunity’. 

There was a website somewhere (I know - helpful right !!) where geeky, logo, graphic designery, marketing type people gave their view on the new “logo” and they were literally having baby boners over it - thought it was one of the best football club badges they had ever seen.

#justsaying

edit: https://www.underconsideration.com/brandnew/archives/new_logo_and_identity_for_bristol_city_fc_by_mr_b_friends.php

17 hours ago, Agard Days Night said:

Nickname fella.

... and why is it a “nickname”? 

Simply because a robin has a red breast (some would argue with that, suggesting it’s orange!). 

Lots of other objects are red - and lots of other teams play in red. So our new crest is hardly unique or distinctive: it certainly doesn’t match the “brand”!

Fella! ?

Archived