Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

handsofclay

New Badge and Kit Announced (Merged)

13 hours ago, supercidered said:

That jacket is sh!te.

I had to check that it wasn't April 1st.

We had a chance to be distinctive and ended up being distinctively meh. I like the colour of the shirt but a massive no from me.

JL looks like an eastern European refugee in  sweatshop sportswear   

• Haha 1

Is it too much to ask that they now sell some decent leisure wear bearing the new badge in the shop, instead of the poorly designed awful stuff that is in there at the moment. Sadly none of the current stock appeals to a 57 yr old who is far too old to walk around wearing a football shirt !!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Spike said:

I just wanted to add that there are tons of clubs that use a round badge and this odd obsession with comparing it to Brentfords badge in my eyes can only be down to colours.

Badges with a similar design to our own could include Brentford, Sheffield United, Aberdeen, Feyenoord, Denmark etc and then if we change up the colours even further Bayern Munich, Leicester City, Man City, PSG, Millwall, Wigan, QPR etc

I think the reason ours looks so similar to Brentfords in terms of colour choice is because it's the best combination for us. Had we gone with only red and white it wouldn't have the same "pop".

It still works in red and white only but I think we'd all agree that it looks better with the black elements to break it up and make it really work well.

Bristol City 2020 badge 2 tone.png

Also I'm looking forward to seeing it on a purple and lime kit.

1MjlxpD.png

That is actually perfect. 

The simplicity of it works so much better.

12 hours ago, ZiderEyed said:

Fairly sure we're the first club that did sticker bombing too.

I’m not sure that’s the case.....I remember way back seeing Blackpool FC stickers all over just about every away end we populated...

• Like 1

Sure this is a silly question and probably answered but cannot go through all posts.

Why is the 18 part of 1894 underlined and smaller?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Neo said:

Sure this is a silly question and probably answered but cannot go through all posts.

18 years of the gap between us and “them?” ;) 

(Just a guess mind!)

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

23 minutes ago, Dollymarie said:

18 years of the gap between us and “them?” ;) 

(Just a guess mind!)

I did wonder that but surely not? #bants 

7 minutes ago, Neo said:

I did wonder that but surely not? #bants 

That’s been mentioned on here and twitter several times but i doubt its the case!

38 minutes ago, CyderInACan said:

That’s been mentioned on here and twitter several times but i doubt its the case!

Would be good though. Season after they could underline the 1 and 9.

Following year gets complex and they need to go to maths symbols

-+++

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Neo said:

The underlining of a number is called a vinculum and is used to indicate that the number is to be grouped together so in this case I would guess it is to represent the number of centuries.

Being as the number of centuries really doesn't have any meaning to us I would suggest that it is just a style used for the sake of "design". The running idea that it is to represent the gap does make sense, it would be a small jibe at the Gas and if questioned could just be written off as a simple design style choice to avoid any direct conflict. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Not surprisingly I notice some of the white badges have been written on overnight, some people clearly have a low intelligence threshold looking at what has been written

19 minutes ago, Rossi the Robin said:

A gas head just pointed this out and it’s all over their forums apparently why was our centenary in 1997 if formed in 1894?

Speaks volumes.

Glad they noticed. 

It really has grown on me over the past couple of days. I've gone from being on the fence to actually quite liking it, particularly without the black version without the circle around it. 

I really hope that the increase the quality of merchandise available, particularly the casual wear. The range of polo shirts, casual t-shirts and hoodies/jumpers have been terrible. I'd happily wear the clubs colours and badge but would prefer not to wear a shirt or the training kit. 

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Coppello said:

It really has grown on me over the past couple of days. I've gone from being on the fence to actually quite liking it, particularly without the black version without the circle around it. 

I really hope that the increase the quality of merchandise available, particularly the casual wear. The range of polo shirts, casual t-shirts and hoodies/jumpers have been terrible. I'd happily wear the clubs colours and badge but would prefer not to wear a shirt or the training kit. 

Agreed, I think the badge without the circle used in monochrome looks really good, it’s quite a versatile design really, and they seem to be using it in different ways.  Over the years our badges have been tweaked slightly so can’t see it being any different with this badge

FB7EAD5D-DD43-4F0A-A3DD-D2DFBCB7B6C3.png

• Like 1

On 26/03/2019 at 14:48, Sturny said:

Liked this one 

A857F25D-16AB-4A81-A85B-DE3310FB8C58.jpeg

I think the problem with that one is it not working on a red background due to the openness of the Robin design, where does the red shirt stop and where does the white robin begin? It needs a border around it to ensure colour separation. Probably see a version without the circle surround on a white kit. 

Artboard%201_zps0ztpgb7q.png

It's growing on me too and I like the idea that it can be changed to suit a purple and lime kit etc (Nice work Spike!).

I just think the robin design sits better on a black background.

I think the one on the right would work better on the shirt.

• Like 2

Don't worry about Brentford. In 10 years time, we will be like "I cant believe they copied our badge"

On 28/03/2019 at 22:01, Rossi the Robin said:

A gas head just pointed this out and it’s all over their forums apparently why was our centenary in 1997 if formed in 1894?

Because we (the club) forgot in 1994.

Everyone else started producing centenary kits so City decided to use the date Bristol South End became Bristol City as our 100 year anniversary. Conveniently this allowed us to produce a Centenary kit in 97.

Even the thick as shit, peanut brain mouth breathers at the Mem should be able to understand this.

Edited by Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan
  • Thanks 1

Came across this article on a graphic designing firm's website discussing our 'Brand' change. It includes comments and opinions from other brand and graphic designers at the bottom. Don't know if this is of interest to anyone?

https://www.underconsideration.com/brandnew/archives/new_logo_and_identity_for_bristol_city_fc_by_mr_b_friends.php?utm_source=feedly&utm_medium=webfeeds

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, TammyAB said:

Came across this article on a graphic designing firm's website discussing our 'Brand' change. It includes comments and opinions from other brand and graphic designers at the bottom. Don't know if this is of interest to anyone?

https://www.underconsideration.com/brandnew/archives/new_logo_and_identity_for_bristol_city_fc_by_mr_b_friends.php?utm_source=feedly&utm_medium=webfeeds

Covered here 😊

• Like 2

Now it's been some time since we first saw the new badge, and since then has your opinion changed? Do you like it more? Has it grown on you? Do you dislike it now? 

My first reaction was that I liked it, I wasn't blown away but felt it looked neat and modern. Now I look back expecting the same reaction and I feel kinda "meh". Maybe once we create some memories in this new badge that'll change.. 

It’s not about who likes or dislikes it - it’s designed to be instantly recognised as Bristol City. Other clubs have their own logo. Forest, Brentford, Charlton, Baggies, Brum ect al.......

The previous heraldic badge could have been almost any team.

The rugby did exactly the same with the Bear logo - instantly recognisable as Bristol Bears,

• Like 5
  • Aubergine 1

9 minutes ago, Robbored said:

It’s not about who likes or dislikes it - it’s designed to be instantly recognised as Bristol City. Other clubs have their own logo. Forest, Brentford, Charlton, Baggies, Brum ect al.......

The previous heraldic badge could have been almost any team.

The rugby did exactly the same with the Bear logo - instantly recognisable as Bristol Bears,

To me this would have ticked all those boxes, and seems odd now that the club brought it back for one season and then dropped it again??

image.png

As above I thought it was pretty naff to start with, but has 100% grown on me, there will be a nice new flag from a crowd of us from Weston displaying it next season

I guess at least the rugby bear isn't as aggressive as this one !

https://birminghambears.com/#

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I watched the video on the OS the other day where Jon Lansdown talked about the new badge, it was quite interesting to see that they had various versions of the badge, some of which included a representation of the suspension bridge.

https://www.bcfc.co.uk/news/a-crest-fans-can-hold-close-to-their-hearts-lansdown/

• Like 1

I like the coat of arms so when I first saw the new badge I was a bit meh, im still a bit meh but less meh than I was.

To me the old badge is part of Bristol City and the new badge is Bristol Sports management of Bristol City, I don't have a problem with Bristol sport (I actually quite like the idea of multiple sports working together and standardising for better outcomes for all) but the badge isn't something you can work on together and standardise so I'm undecided. 

6 minutes ago, Eddie Hitler said:

I have always regarded the classic robin, bridge and ball as our badge.  One day the club may do so as well.

image.jpg

To answer the question at the bottom of the image.

The most naff looking one.

• Like 5
  • Aubergine 4

As said above the robin with bridge will always be the badge for me to the extent that I have it tattooed on my leg but that is because I grew up in that era.

I like the new badge and happy that we have returned to the robin even if absent the bridge.

Can’t see it ever being permanently on my person like the previous robin badge but will happily wear clothing with that symbol on and glad we are going away from the current coat of arms.

Edited by Meh
  • Like 2

To be honest, the badge change is very minor for me.

I also think that most people put too much thought into a badge, and needing it to be unique. I didn't care that our old badge didn't have a Robin, and looked fairly generic and "of the time". If you couldn't look at the badge and know it was Bristol City, either the badge was too small or you can't read.

With that being said, the new badge has grown on me. I would've preferred something a bit less plain, and I think most of the moans about the bridge (since most people moaned about it "just" being the bridge before) is more to do with the badge feeling a bit empty. The Robin looks nice, but it could use something else.

When will the social media team change it to the new one?

Another thing, the coat of arms badge was in and around the stadium before. Will they plaster the new one around Ashton Gate? 

Is there a date that this badge is officially Bristol City FC?

Not quite used to this🤷‍♂️

3 minutes ago, Lew-T said:

Another thing, the coat of arms badge was in and around the stadium before. Will they plaster the new one around Ashton Gate? 

When they announced the rugby it was all changed within literally a couple of days but they obviously had it all made and ready and it was a bit like it or lump it - we need this change to bring in the next generation.

I think with City they have been more respectful and announced first as there would be a bigger backlash if just forced on us with no chance to reflect and accept the change

I fully expect they have a date in mind and replacement flags, wall plaques etc will all currently be in production and they will announce the date once all concerts are finished and related equipment gone and will then whoosh through from social media to meeting room pens in a couple of days.

• Like 1

Liked it. Still like it. Some of the bridge options shown during the development were better. It does the job. But won't be buying a shirt until we ditch the Dunder sponsorship. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Lew-T said:

My guess will be the badge change will be as 2019/20 officially becomes the current season.

Which by my reckoning is a movable date- the start of preseason.

I felt a bit indifferent about it when it was first revealed. Still do. Maybe it will grow on me more once the team is wearing the kit with it on and it’s visible around the stadium. 

Imagine it’ll be Sat or Monday. All discounts/rewards for members get reset on Friday so new points will be for new gear I assume. Also CHamp league final is kinda the last game of the 18/19 season.

We will start to see more of the new branding, as that’s what it is like it or not, from mid June after the concerts have cleared and they can change everything in the stadium. It’s surprising just how much has to be changed, merchandise, email and stationary headings and any literature the club puts out as well as staff clothing, not only the players wear the badge.  Not an overnight thing but there will be a cut off date after which the current badge will no longer be allowed to be used.