Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

handsofclay

New Badge and Kit Announced (Merged)

Frankly I think it's not good

Marketing opportunity missed if they havent got new shirts and leisure wear in store, with the new badge, before Fathers Day.

• Like 1

Someone gave me only what could be described as a beer mat with the new badge on it, so stuck it next to my computer in my office.

Been looking at it now for a couple of months and do think it's actually pretty smart. 

Non city fans have commented on it saying they like it. 

Didn't mind the new one when it was shown but just thought it lacked something Bristol about it, definitely think the one someone knocked up with the bridge version is better and would like to see us change again the following season as merch etc is probably all sorted with the announced badge.

F47202D6-1338-4DAD-AFEB-441ACF06BF3A.thumb.jpeg.4696d6e054c1b5afeaf2bdbdf60b9c3e.jpeg

• Like 7

19 minutes ago, Sydneybcfc said:

Didn't mind the new one when it was shown but just thought it lacked something Bristol about it, definitely think the one someone knocked up with the bridge version is better and would like to see us change again the following season as merch etc is probably all sorted with the announced badge.

It won't be changing for a long time,  "a lot" of money has been spent already on the rebranding and as @RedM mentions above there is a heck of a lot of work still to be done

• Like 1

1 hour ago, phantom said:

It won't be changing for a long time,  "a lot" of money has been spent already on the rebranding and as @RedM mentions above there is a heck of a lot of work still to be done

Exactly. This will be the badge for a good few years now.

19 hours ago, Agard Days Night said:

Liked the new badge. Still like the new badge. Suspension Bridge has nothing to do with the club so no real reason for it be on the badge. 

....so what does a robin have to do with the club? It's RED!!!  Dohhh...might as well have a pillar box, or a "stop" traffic light!  A pretty childish logo, IMO.

And, with so many other clubs claiming to be "The Robins", its hardly as unique and distinctive of Bristol as JL claimed, in the launch.

At least the Suspension Bridge is an instantly recognised, iconic symbol of Bristol - and can be seen at the stadium approach, and from the top of the Lansdown Stand.

2 hours ago, Sydneybcfc said:

F47202D6-1338-4DAD-AFEB-441ACF06BF3A.thumb.jpeg.4696d6e054c1b5afeaf2bdbdf60b9c3e.jpeg

Thats a bit better....

• Like 1

On 29/05/2019 at 12:47, Robbored said:

It’s not about who likes or dislikes it - it’s designed to be instantly recognised as Bristol City. Other clubs have their own logo. Forest, Brentford, Charlton, Baggies, Brum ect al.......

The previous heraldic badge could have been almost any team.

The rugby did exactly the same with the Bear logo - instantly recognisable as Bristol Bears,

If that was the case, it would simply just be "Bristol City" in words and there would've been no need to change it from the previous design... All logos/badges need to be captivating

Edited by Sturny

9 minutes ago, everreddy said:

And, with so many other clubs claiming to be "The Robins", its hardly as unique and distinctive of Bristol as JL claimed, in the launch.

I think what the club are trying to do is to take ownership of the Robins nickname once and for all.

Yes, other teams use the nickname, but we are clearly the biggest team of those who do, and with a bit of clever marketing then I think the club believe that we can become the only club people think of when talking of the Robins. 

A quick look on Wikipedia provides the following list of clubs that are known as the Robins:

Altrincham
Bracknell Town
Bristol City
Charlton Athletic
Cheltenham Town
Carshalton Athletic
Evesham United
Ilkeston
Swindon Town

I don't think its much of a stretch to claim that we are the biggest club on that list. The only one that comes close is newly promoted Charlton, and they don't really use that nickname as they are known as the Addicks.

So, basically, if we are having issues with people confusing us with Altrincham, Bracknell, Cheltenham, Carshalton, Evesham, Ilkeston or Swindon then we have bigger problems than a badge :dunno:

• Like 6

1 hour ago, elhombrecito said:

I think what the club are trying to do is to take ownership of the Robins nickname once and for all.

It's absolutely what they are trying to do. In the same way that Man City have tried to own "City" with their horrendous abomination of a catchphrase/nickname "Cityzens".

3 hours ago, Sturny said:

If that was the case, it would simply just be "Bristol City" in words and there would've been no need to change it from the previous design... All logos/badges need to be captivating

Which is exactly the point...........:facepalm:

3 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Which is exactly the point...........:facepalm:

So it being likeable does matter.. which wasn’t your point.. 

On 29/05/2019 at 14:29, CityLew said:

It has grown on me but I still prefer the Bristol arms.  

I wonder why we can’t have the Bristol coat of arms and the robin somewhere on the kit?

Edited by INCRED

1 minute ago, Sturny said:

So it being likeable does matter.. which wasn’t your point.. 

Jeez..............:facepalm:

On 29/05/2019 at 18:33, Furious Custard said:

Liked it. Still like it. Some of the bridge options shown during the development were better. It does the job. But won't be buying a shirt until we ditch the Dunder sponsorship. 

I like it. might actually buy a shirt! Thats a fine name BTW Furious...😄

7 hours ago, WolfOfWestStreet said:

Someone gave me only what could be described as a beer mat with the new badge on it, so stuck it next to my computer in my office.

Been looking at it now for a couple of months and do think it's actually pretty smart. 

Non city fans have commented on it saying they like it. 

How can they tell it’s Bristol City though if it hasn’t got the bridge on?

7 minutes ago, Agard Days Night said:

How can they tell it’s Bristol City though if it hasn’t got the bridge on?

Not sure if sarcasm or not but it says Bristol City on it 

Still underwhelmed and a bit of an indictment of modern times that someone with a scrap of paper and box of crayons in 1975 can produce a more iconic badge than a professional design studio with computer aided design in 2019!

Bit too much like the Sheffield Weds 1990’s ‘Owl’ for me. Doesn’t give us a strong and unique brand identity which I’m sure would have been the first objective of the design brief. Incorporating a stylised  Suspension Bridge would have achieved that very simply.

The (unnecessary) date also looks like a clumsy, awkward after-thought. 

No more than a 5/10 ‘missed opportunity’. 

• Like 1

There was a website somewhere (I know - helpful right !!) where geeky, logo, graphic designery, marketing type people gave their view on the new “logo” and they were literally having baby boners over it - thought it was one of the best football club badges they had ever seen.

#justsaying

edit: https://www.underconsideration.com/brandnew/archives/new_logo_and_identity_for_bristol_city_fc_by_mr_b_friends.php

Edited by Meh
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Will Rollason said:

I like it. might actually buy a shirt! Thats a fine name BTW Furious...😄

I might actually buy one as well,  IF, the extortionate international postal charges were realistic!

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Agard Days Night said:

Nickname fella.

... and why is it a “nickname”? 

Simply because a robin has a red breast (some would argue with that, suggesting it’s orange!). 

Lots of other objects are red - and lots of other teams play in red. So our new crest is hardly unique or distinctive: it certainly doesn’t match the “brand”!

Fella! 😎

4 hours ago, Agard Days Night said:

Easily mistaken for Swindon or Ilkeston though. Suspension Bridge avoids the confusion. 

Again not sure if sarcasm, id have thought the Bristol City in bold writing eliminates any confusion. 

Am I losing my sanity here ... genuinely not sure 

15 minutes ago, WolfOfWestStreet said:

Again not sure if sarcasm, id have thought the Bristol City in bold writing eliminates any confusion. 

Am I losing my sanity here ... genuinely not sure 

Sorry to be pedantic, but there a literally hundreds of suspension bridges in the UK, how would someone that doesn't know Clifton identify the bridge?

35 minutes ago, phantom said:

Sorry to be pedantic, but there a literally hundreds of suspension bridges in the UK, how would someone that doesn't know Clifton identify the bridge?

It's not pedantic. I agree with you.

11 hours ago, Moor2Sea said:

Still underwhelmed and a bit of an indictment of modern times that someone with a scrap of paper and box of crayons in 1975 can produce a more iconic badge than a professional design studio with computer aided design in 2019!

Bit too much like the Sheffield Weds 1990’s ‘Owl’ for me. Doesn’t give us a strong and unique brand identity which I’m sure would have been the first objective of the design brief. Incorporating a stylised  Suspension Bridge would have achieved that very simply.

The (unnecessary) date also looks like a clumsy, awkward after-thought. 

No more than a 5/10 ‘missed opportunity’. 

Iconic ≠ Good

On 30/05/2019 at 21:50, phantom said:

But in fairness Leeds would have sad the same thing when they abandoned their change due fan pressure.

Most of the merch changes from season to season along with the shirts and training wear so that's not a big problem and to be fair adding in the bridge version isn't that huge a change that they even need to update everything for it.

Lots of teams use various versions of their badge or partial badge so having the bridge on shirts and stuff going forward while just having the robin on ball on legacy stuff isn't an issue. both were official designs anyway.

16 minutes ago, Tinmans Love Child said:

Just seen that Frome Town have launched a new badge with a Robin on, my mates the manager there so only reason I’ve seen it, interesting to compare to our new badge

614F59C6-6DC9-4A24-B207-79F5E99A752F.jpeg

like it! 

I quite like it, with a few tweaks. Plump it up to look more Robin like, rounded. And have it facing forward not looking like it’s twisting it’s neck. But the simplicity is quite good and would sit better alongside the Bears image.

• Aubergine 1

Exactly why our badge was not a good and/or original design. Weeks later, Frome release one almost mirroring it.

https://twitter.com/FromeTownFC/status/1134866313451659265?s=19

Could genuinely see legal action taken over the similarities. Can hardly look at our badge and purely think "Bristol City" now.

IMG_20190602_223901.jpg

20190602_224416.jpg

Edited by TBW
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, TBW said:

Exactly why our badge was not a good and/or original design. Weeks later, Frome release one almost mirroring it.

https://twitter.com/FromeTownFC/status/1134866313451659265?s=19

Could genuinely see legal action taken over the similarities. Can hardly look at our badge and purely think "Bristol City" now.

IMG_20190602_223901.jpg

20190602_224416.jpg

Not that similar and it’s Frome.  I’d be f’ing embarrassed if any court action was taken.  

This nonsense about the new badge is ludicrous, it’s fine.

• Like 6

I don’t think it’s similar to Bcfc at all. It’s round, it’s red and has a robin on it...but doesn’t resemble ours stylistically. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Aubergine 1

As I said on a previous thread, if we're worried about people confusing us with a team that play in the 8th tier of English football, then our badge is the least of our worries. 

• Like 5

To be honest if you want a badge with a robin on it you’re kinda limited to how it’s gonna turn out 

bound to look similar 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, TBW said:

If it wasn’t good it wouldn’t be copied. And it was copied later so could be an original design unless time works differently for you? 

1 hour ago, elhombrecito said:

As I said on a previous thread, if we're worried about people confusing us with a team that play in the 8th tier of English football, then our badge is the least of our worries. 

Very well said. There are plenty of lion type crests around, used by Chelsea, Villa, Rangers etc.

That said, for some reason the Frome badge looks a lot nicer than ours. Clear cut, nickname actually stated on the badge itself. I like it.

11 hours ago, soultrader said:

To be honest if you want a badge with a robin on it you’re kinda limited to how it’s gonna turn out 

bound to look similar 

Well quite, legal action ffs.

Just locally we have City, The Robins, Swindon town, The Robins, Cheltenham Town, The Robins, Bridgwater Town, The Robins, Frome Town, The Robins, and probably a few more that I can't think of off the top of my head.

Genuine question

why are so many teams in south west called the robins?

is there more of them about than other parts of uk?

or did one team do it and everyone else just lacks imagination ?

• Robin 2

23 hours ago, Arsene's Wanger said:

Well quite, legal action ffs.

Just locally we have City, The Robins, Swindon town, The Robins, Cheltenham Town, The Robins, Bridgwater Town, The Robins, Frome Town, The Robins, and probably a few more that I can't think of off the top of my head.

That’s at least four reasons why ours is a truly naff nickname and badge! Hardly “unique” and “distinctive “ - as claimed by JL! 🙁

On ‎02‎/‎06‎/‎2019 at 23:58, Davefevs said:

When I played away against Frome, I’m sure they wore green?  Long time ago though.

I was born and brought up in Frome nearly 70 years ago. During that time Frome Town FC  have always played in red, as far as I can remember. Don't recall them ever having a green home kit.