IGNORED

Famaras goals.

pillred

Just found out he has not scored one single goal for us from outside the box, all of his league goals all 24 have been from inside, I find that amazing. I know Gary Lineker was famous for his tap ins but I bet even he scored a few from outside the box, not sure if he has ever scored in any cup comps from outside, but that is still an amazing stat. Oh and he has had 40 attempts from outside the box without scoring in the league.

5 minutes ago, Negan said:

I thought the Barnsley and WBA away goals were outside the box? Maybe not then. 

Both just inside if I remember correctly. I remember him hitting the crossbar with a wolrdie from outside the box away at brum at the start of last season but not too many other close efforts.

Jimmy Greaves (44 goals in 57 England matches) scored most of his goals from inside the box, but he that doesn’t mean  Fammy’s record is acceptable. With good players such as Greaves, Lineker, or present day goal poachers they all had / have good control and can create their own chances. Fammy occasionally scores a great goal from nowhere, but most of them depend others. It’s interesting that in the video below, Greaves, who was small, could hold off bigger players. If only Fammy could do the same and control the ball he would be a far better player. Not a Premier League player, as we can’t afford them, but a good Championship player  

I wonder who our most perfect, most faultless, most uncriticisable player was, in our history?

Wedlock was a bit short of arse, probably got done at the back stick occasionally (probably at places like Brammall Lane).

Atyeo had his critics (when he played for England, her Majesty's gutter hacks up London), I believe his game lacked the sophisticated understanding (of those gubbed by the Magyars)

Gerry Gow? 

1 hour ago, pillred said:

Just found out he has not scored one single goal for us from outside the box, all of his league goals all 24 have been from inside, I find that amazing. I know Gary Lineker was famous for his tap ins but I bet even he scored a few from outside the box, not sure if he has ever scored in any cup comps from outside, but that is still an amazing stat. Oh and he has had 40 attempts from outside the box without scoring in the league.

Bloke still has a very decent shot in him.

54 minutes ago, Moments of Pleasure said:

I wonder who our most perfect, most faultless, most uncriticisable player was, in our history?

Wedlock was a bit short of arse, probably got done at the back stick occasionally (probably at places like Brammall Lane).

Atyeo had his critics (when he played for England, her Majesty's gutter hacks up London), I believe his game lacked the sophisticated understanding (of those gubbed by the Magyars)

Gerry Gow?

I won’t hear a word against Sir Gerald ...... my fave ever City player so I’m terribly biased and view his memories through spectacles that are more rose-tinted than something that’s heavily tinted with roses.....

3 hours ago, pillred said:

Should a striker score outside the box in any case? Don’t get me wrong you never turn down a goal, but if they are adept at long shots isn’t that a trait for a number 10, and if they are outside the box - playing our system - why are you not in it? 

What that stat probably misses is I’m sure there are a few goals where he has taken the ball outside, run it in and scored. 

No accusation towards you, but FD gets such a rough time here. He is a consistent goalscorer. It matters not one jot if from his rump or a clarkson v Leicester header. I would hate to see him line up against us. Whilst he isn’t technically gifted, he will get in positions - how many times does he miss sitters; lots - but he gets in so many positions he is rather prolific goals per game  

Given transfer fees being what they are, I wouldn’t take much less than 8 figures for him, and I’d hold out for that first and foremost. 

2 hours ago, 29AR said:

Should a striker score outside the box in any case? Don’t get me wrong you never turn down a goal, but if they are adept at long shots isn’t that a trait for a number 10, and if they are outside the box - playing our system - why are you not in it? 

What that stat probably misses is I’m sure there are a few goals where he has taken the ball outside, run it in and scored. 

No accusation towards you, but FD gets such a rough time here. He is a consistent goalscorer. It matters not one jot if from his rump or a clarkson v Leicester header. I would hate to see him line up against us. Whilst he isn’t technically gifted, he will get in positions - how many times does he miss sitters; lots - but he gets in so many positions he is rather prolific goals per game  

Given transfer fees being what they are, I wouldn’t take much less than 8 figures for him, and I’d hold out for that first and foremost. 

not knocking him was just surprised he had never scored a goal from any distance, doubt any striker ever has not scored a goal from outside the box, he certainly knows where the back of the net is but you have to admit it is a surprising stat.

40 minutes ago, pillred said:

not knocking him was just surprised he had never scored a goal from any distance, doubt any striker ever has not scored a goal from outside the box, he certainly knows where the back of the net is but you have to admit it is a surprising stat.

Don’t worry pal, never once thought you were calling him out so sorry that wasn’t clear. 

Given how we play, with so few shots and shot on target, I don’t think that it is so surprising. We either cross or try to (over - sometimes) engineer a move. If he’s running through he tends to commit to a face down.

The midfield do every now and then try a sighter but even that is rare.

Because of the styles I can’t say I’m shocked at Nil, I think I would have guesstimated 1-5 range. 

10 hours ago, 29AR said:

8 figures? I’m a fan of his but that’s insane

13 hours ago, JBFC II said:

I remember Javier Hernandez scoring for fun for man u from inside the box, I'd be surprised if he's ever scored from outside it actually 

Correct. Every single premier league goal he has scored has been inside the box (from 2018 so may have changed).

https://www.90min.com/posts/6238466-the-crazy-stat-that-shows-javier-hernandez-is-a-true-premier-league-poacher

Tim Cahill also scored all of his 56 PL goals in the box.

8 hours ago, cidercity1987 said:

It amazes me that some people dont think he is a good Championship striker.

Thats exactly what he is.

We've been spoilt with some great Championship strikers.

I don't think he's not a good striker, I think he's just not the striker we need if we're only playing one up top. 

Fammy is 100% a "one of two" kind of striker but we've found our best tactics is one up top. It's also not a big criticism to be a one of two striker because there are very few strikers capable of playing the big goalscoring solo striker. 

I think next season we need to get a quality second striker to either play alongside Fammy with two up top or at least keep the quality on the pitch when one isn't scoring. 

I did the stats for the top goalscorers of this league not so long ago and Fammy scoring ratio is actually very low compared to the others if you go by goals per 90 minutes which is the best statistic for seeing how prolific a striker actually is. This doesn't mean he's not prolific, just that compared to the rest of the top goalscorers he's one of the worst of a fantastic bunch

Archived