IGNORED

City to spend big in the summer

Major Isewater

2 hours ago, Spike said:

Is this based on the current squad? If so then we also need to consider who is going to be sold and who is not making their loan permanent.

Kalas - Most likely going to Celtic based on interest shown, although we already know he'll be hard to hold onto.
Dasilva - I thought he'd be a likely signing because of our agreement of a fee but from recent suggestions, he may not want to stay so he's 50/50.
Kasey Palmer - Another 50/50 although I think he'll go back to Chelsea either to be reloaned or sold.

Those 3 are very questionable, then you have:

O'Dowda - Highly likely to be gone in the summer based on having not signed a new contract
Webber - He's drummed up attention with his performances
Kelly - Rumours earlier this season, although I feel these may have cooled off after recent performances.
Pisano - Rumours that he'll be off
Maenpaa - Another rumoured to be off too

All in all I think we'll be pretty busy in the summer, especially if we want to have depth for next season.

I have assumed the loans would go and Pisano will leave.

GK - Fielding, Maenpaa and O’Leary. Need one if one of first two go

RB - covered even if Pisano leaves

LB - Get Desilva or A.N.Other

CB - covered unless Kelly leaves. Replace if he does

CM - need one more

WIDE - covered

ST - need one. 

We need a summer without upheaval in my opinion. Had lots of change recently.   Need to approach a pre season without a whole host pf new playwes

Lose the loaned three, hopefully sign Dasilva and two other players.  Hopefully not lose Kelly or Webster.

Trust in our youth as well

3 hours ago, JBFC II said:

That last sentence is very subjective. 

For lots of journalists it's incredibly tough to make any headway in the sporting world. Ex pros are now getting lots of the top jobs and so for an up and coming journalist, or even an experienced one, getting work and creating good content is very tough

The vast majority of articles positioned from ex pros, in the printed media and online, are ghost-written by proper journos...

29 minutes ago, RedDave said:

I have assumed the loans would go and Pisano will leave.

GK - Fielding, Maenpaa and O’Leary. Need one if one of first two go

RB - covered even if Pisano leaves

LB - Get Desilva or A.N.Other

CB - covered unless Kelly leaves. Replace if he does

CM - need one more

WIDE - covered

ST - need one. 

We need a summer without upheaval in my opinion. Had lots of change recently.   Need to approach a pre season without a whole host pf new playwes

Lose the loaned three, hopefully sign Dasilva and two other players.  Hopefully not lose Kelly or Webster.

Trust in our youth as well

I'm not quite sure I'd agree

GK: Fielding, Maenpaa & O'Leary - I agree with you here.

RB: Pisano, Hunt - Some may say Wright but he's not good enough as a RB meaning should Pisano leave we'll only have Hunt and in terms of quality we need an upgrade in this position

LB: Kelly - Dasilva signing would cover us well enough and give us quality depth, should Dasilva not sign we need a new LB

CBs: Webster, Wright, Baker - Kelly could play there but it's clear to see neither Wright or Baker are good enough, if we cannot sign Kalas I would say we need to get rid of either Baker or Wright and bring in a player of quality.

CM: Smith, Pack, Brownhill, Walsh - Probably the one position I'd say we're ok with unless we're looking to improve our depth or we're concerned about injuries.

WIDE: O'Dowda, Watkins, Adelakun, Eliasson - If O'Dowda leaves which is looking highly likely then the only high quality winger we have is Eliasson. Some will argue Brownhill or Weimann can play there and they can, but they are not natural wingers and both are better in other positions.

ST: Diedhiou, Weimann, Taylor, Semenyo, Eisa - This is an odd one. I would also say we need one, but only if he's a quality signing. Weimann is a striker and on his day is plenty good enough for the Championship, his issue is confidence so when it's down we need someone to be able to step in and challenge him for his position. I would argue that with a good pre-season Emenyo may actually be ready to do that and we already have Fammy. If Eisa is to be loaned out or not feature I think it's fair to say that in order for a quality striker to come into the squad Taylor will most likely need to go.

Utility: Paterson - Patto is a strange one, he can play wide, attacking behind the strikers and a striker himself although I do wonder if that is the reason he's still around is for his versatility.

This brings me to the summary. With the wide men, you have them down as covered but realistically Eliasson is best on the left, as is O'Dowda and we really don't have any natural right-sided wingers. If someone said "name our best RW" I think the answer would be Patto, Weimann or Brownhill, all 3 of which are better in other positions.
I honestly think should we lose O'Dowda and do not manage to sign Dasilva or Kalas we're going to need a RB, LB, CB at the very least. I'd also argue that we need a natural right-sided midiflder/winger and an improvement in quality with our striker situation. I also think it's also very possible to see Maenpaa or Fielding leave.

All in all we still have a fair few positions to fill and whilst it would be far better if we could sign Kalas and Dasilva we still need to see a few move on and bring in better quality.

17 minutes ago, Spike said:

I'm not quite sure I'd agree

GK: Fielding, Maenpaa & O'Leary - I agree with you here.

RB: Pisano, Hunt - Some may say Wright but he's not good enough as a RB meaning should Pisano leave we'll only have Hunt and in terms of quality we need an upgrade in this position

LB: Kelly - Dasilva signing would cover us well enough and give us quality depth, should Dasilva not sign we need a new LB

CBs: Webster, Wright, Baker - Kelly could play there but it's clear to see neither Wright or Baker are good enough, if we cannot sign Kalas I would say we need to get rid of either Baker or Wright and bring in a player of quality.

CM: Smith, Pack, Brownhill, Walsh - Probably the one position I'd say we're ok with unless we're looking to improve our depth or we're concerned about injuries.

WIDE: O'Dowda, Watkins, Adelakun, Eliasson - If O'Dowda leaves which is looking highly likely then the only high quality winger we have is Eliasson. Some will argue Brownhill or Weimann can play there and they can, but they are not natural wingers and both are better in other positions.

ST: Diedhiou, Weimann, Taylor, Semenyo, Eisa - This is an odd one. I would also say we need one, but only if he's a quality signing. Weimann is a striker and on his day is plenty good enough for the Championship, his issue is confidence so when it's down we need someone to be able to step in and challenge him for his position. I would argue that with a good pre-season Emenyo may actually be ready to do that and we already have Fammy. If Eisa is to be loaned out or not feature I think it's fair to say that in order for a quality striker to come into the squad Taylor will most likely need to go.

Utility: Paterson - Patto is a strange one, he can play wide, attacking behind the strikers and a striker himself although I do wonder if that is the reason he's still around is for his versatility.

This brings me to the summary. With the wide men, you have them down as covered but realistically Eliasson is best on the left, as is O'Dowda and we really don't have any natural right-sided wingers. If someone said "name our best RW" I think the answer would be Patto, Weimann or Brownhill, all 3 of which are better in other positions.
I honestly think should we lose O'Dowda and do not manage to sign Dasilva or Kalas we're going to need a RB, LB, CB at the very least. I'd also argue that we need a natural right-sided midiflder/winger and an improvement in quality with our striker situation. I also think it's also very possible to see Maenpaa or Fielding leave.

All in all we still have a fair few positions to fill and whilst it would be far better if we could sign Kalas and Dasilva we still need to see a few move on and bring in better quality.

I think fundamentally our different points of view come down to me including our youngsters as options. Many players out on loan who can step up.

We also disagree on Wright’s ability. More than good enough to be a third choice centre back. 

Finally, I think Adelukan will surprise people next season 

Just now, RedDave said:

I think fundamentally our different points of view come down to me including our youngsters as options. Many players out on loan who can step up.

We also disagree on Wright’s ability. More than good enough to be a third choice centre back. 

I think Wright is good enough to be a third choice CB but I suppose that comes down to if Kalas signs and where Kelly plays. If Dasilva doesn't sign then Kelly is bound to be the first choice LB meaning we'd have Webster and Wright in the middle, that's just not good enough if we want to push on.

Adelukan I'm very interested to see in our starting line up and he could play that right side position but it still leaves us with no natural right-sided midfielder as back up and injuries can change seasons when we don't have the cover.

I do have faith in our youth, the issue is we've quite often seen them show loads of promise only to be unused. If a few do make that step up and are good enough then that's great but my immediate concern is CB, LB and RB followed by a mild concern for RM/RW and ST

1 hour ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

The vast majority of articles positioned from ex pros, in the printed media and online, are ghost-written by proper journos...

And yet the fact that they are getting into papers, plus on the TV, over proper journalists, leaves many journalists struggling for work. 

My uncles a freelance journalist and he really struggles to get decent work, despite having vast experience at lots of major events. Mainly because lots of the jobs he used to have have been lost to former pros

1 hour ago, RedDave said:

What you mean he’ll get a game ? 

1 hour ago, JonDolman said:

We look like we could realistically make top 6 this season with a very young squad that will only improve. We don't need to bring many in imo.

We need a striker.

We would be dangerous if we had a 20-a-season onion-bag-filler.

:laughcont:

@Spike and @RedDave plenty of things to agree and debate.

the change to 352 (or variant of 3 CBs) muddies the water massively.  Suddenly WBs might be the order of the day, rather than WMs.

Personally I think LJ needs to find a way to play 2 CF’s or at least a true CF and SS/10 to allow him to perm his forwards better and mean Fam doesn’t have to play every game.  The 4411/4141 became too reliant on one striker. Imho!!!

8 hours ago, JBFC II said:

And yet the fact that they are getting into papers, plus on the TV, over proper journalists, leaves many journalists struggling for work. 

My uncles a freelance journalist and he really struggles to get decent work, despite having vast experience at lots of major events. Mainly because lots of the jobs he used to have have been lost to former pros

Their names may be in the papers, but, as I said, ex pros’ columns and articles in the press and online are ghost-written by proper journos, so no opportunities being denied there, and as for getting on tv - of course ex pros are going to get ‘pundit’ opportunities over journos - do you really think the public want to hear the views of an anonymous journo who has never played pro football over that of a Gary Neville or an Alan Shearer?!

On 31/03/2019 at 14:36, DT The Optimist said:

Never heard it called a soulless bowl, indeed it certainly is not in the style of Reading, Southampton etc.

Indeed all visiting fans and media always complimentary about the Gate, including most recently the U23 (or 21) who Commented on amazing  atmosphere generated. 

Getting rid of some of the over the top stewards would help they stand there waiting for someone to open thier mouth or clap before going o.t t

Archived