IGNORED

Sky Sports

22A

Is it me, or has SS gone down hill?

They have dropped lesser sports such as angling, pool and speedway etc and then started a few extra dedicated  channels such as Main Event and Cricket.

Not enough events to go round though, so plenty of repeats such as "How the 2011 World Cup was won" or "Ipswich v Nottingham Forest; a thrilling game fro,m 2014".

Watching SS News, they seem to feature American Basketball, Baseball and football far more often.

They have also dropped their chat shows such as "La LIga revisited" where guys (one of the m a London based Spanish journalist) would discuss the game with the studio done up to look like a bar in Madrid. "The Rugby club" where current events in that game were discussed by one older man (committee member) and a young man,(current player).  They even had an angling chat show with the studio designed to look like the inside of someone's garden shed.

1 minute ago, CityCiderEd said:

They've lost premiership rugby and La Liga. 

Retain your crown jewels, don't have to pay out for rights for some stuff = increased profits... 

Would like for them to pick up smaller sports to give them a platform even just have a channel dedicated to them, I know some sports just get broadcast over youtube so there is coverage.

1 minute ago, paul_fox said:

NFL is something I've no idea why it's bigged up so much. Slow and unexciting. The only American sport I'd probably watch is baseball 

NFL really makes me cringe. Something about it makes me screw my face up like im sucking on a lemon.

1 minute ago, eastonboy said:

I've noticed the American sports creeping in on the beeb website as well.

No place for it on any mainland UK broadcast outlet imho (no doubt others disagree hence the Americanisation of the content)

Thing is there is a place for it unfortunately American football sales out Wembley when it’s hosted here and they started having at 2(I think) games a season here, and also there talk of having an uk based team here permanently! 

Its far more popular here than you’d think! 

1 minute ago, hail gus cesaer said:

Thing is there is a place for it unfortunately American football sales out Wembley when it’s hosted here and they started having at 2(I think) games a season here, and also there talk of having an uk based team here permanently! 

Its far more popular here than you’d think! 

I think a lot of people go due to it being different and kind of glitzy because of how much its built up, rather then actual fans of the game 

1 minute ago, steveybadger said:

There was a piggin computer football game on yesterday.

THAT IS NOT SPORT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Haha for people over 30 will remember a game called sensible soccer on the commodore amiga. I was part of the Bristol club and we had our monthly meets for competitions at Ashton Gate in the bar/players lounge. Would get City players and one time Scott Davidson watch us play 

12 minutes ago, paul_fox said:

Haha for people over 30 will remember a game called sensible soccer on the commodore amiga. I was part of the Bristol club and we had our monthly meets for competitions at Ashton Gate in the bar/players lounge. Would get City players and one time Scott Davidson watch us play 

Esports is massive. I used to hate watching others play computer games but somehow it's a multi billion dollar industry. 

1 hour ago, hodge said:

Dropped or BT bid more?

Eurosport picked up the speedway for two years then BT got hold of it. The season starts in April, but the first televised match was in June.

The IPL cricket is available on an Indian channel which is Sky 729.

35 minutes ago, steveybadger said:

There was a piggin computer football game on yesterday.

THAT IS NOT SPORT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If its esports you're on about it actually has a surprisingly high viewership for watching someone playing a computer game, in asia especially.

2 hours ago, ZiderEyed said:

Literally no idea why people enjoy half the American sports. ******* tedious.

It's funny, I read that Basketball was so popular because your average American sports fan, has a short attention span. Basketball points are scored every few seconds. The other 2 main sports , "football" and Baseball , go on sooooo bloody long as to need a nap half way through. I used to enjoy the "football" when it first came on TV , then went to see agame at Eastville. Hour in, and we'd just got to half time. Same with BB, goes on so long it can be tedious.

15 minutes ago, BS15_RED said:

The emergence of BT Sport over the last 5 years really broken their stranglehold. They managed to see of both Setanta and ESPN, but BT Sport are a very serious rival, taking the Champions League off them, plus Premiership and European Rugby.

The extra "platforms" for sport are good for avoiding monopolies , which are bad for customers. Then again with a monopoly you only pay once, in the "fairer" market you now have to pay for SS , BT and maybe soon Amazon or others.  Any way you carve it, it costs us more. No wonder people try and find ways around it.

Archived